Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

Death Hag Chris Guest
    being from Chicago..YES I have an accent. the way we say potato, sausage and hot dog is kinda funny. and I only REALLY hear it when i'm out of the state and people mention it to me.

Jazbabee Guest
    Althoug I live in Maryland, I am originally from the suburban Philadelphia area. I am constantly told that I have a Philadelphia or Northeast type accent - go figure. Yet when I visit home (Philly area) I am told that I have picked up hints of southern accent, and sayings) Oy Vay !!!!!

mgpm Guest
    I'm from MD, and I don't think I have much of an accent.

Snoopy Guest
    I have a Rhode Island accent.hate it ..hate it.. hate it ! LOL

hoxharding Guest

accent

I suspect I do and i don't like it one bit.:P
    When I went to college, I picked up a weird one. I was taking fencing and my teacher was Scottish. I was awful at fencing but managed to accidently develop a /Midwestern/Scottish accent.
    People would ask me what country I was from(which just puzzled me)

Jersey Girl Guest
    Oh I definitely have an accent. I think more of a Philly accent... but a good friend of mine (she's english living in Canada) says I sound like "Rhoda." LOL!
    I say "Yo" for hello all the time... I can't help myself.
    Coffee - I pronounce it caw-fee
    Water - I say wooder
    creek is crick
    I could go on....lol. But yeah, I have an accent.
    Only thing I, nor anyone else here says is Joisey. The only people who say Joisey AREN'T from Jersey.

onehunglow Guest
    Well that accent is neat but showing up for dinner at 11:45 AM was no fun when Dinner out west is 6-10 PM. I'm glad supper is soon be be on FAD.

Miss Swallow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    well then they were silly. shania twain is canadian.

A Canadian accent sounds quite Midwestern. Especially if one is from the more northern parts of the Midwest, like Chicago.

Kimmy Guest
    I have an English regional accent, very different from SMK's. I have an 'ampshire "hog" accent making me sound like a farmer! lol Although I have been told I sound like my parents who have West London accents, whatever that means.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I've always wondered about American news anchors on television. They all sound the same, yet surely they come from many different parts of the country. Do students of journalism have to take speech classes so they all sound the same?
    Yes they do...well at least they did when I was working on my degree in Theatre. FORTUNATELY, my speech patterns developed well before my family moved to a lil' redneck town in the FL panhandle. If I am around folks with strong accents (especially Southern) I tend to pick them up. I get this trait from my dad. As a kid I remember so well how he would do that which was funniest when we had guests whose first language was German or French.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    doooood dont even go there lol!! I know that some people from the east coast have told me we (californians) say 'no' wierd.. of course in my world its perfect, but east coasters say it differently, lie, naaaaooo.. so that is one thing I have heard.
    californians do pronounce every word perfectly!!

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    now i'm from milwaukee. i have this weird way of putting things sometimes, kinda like an old polish person. instead of 'you' it's 'yous' and i put 'hey' and 'a-na?' at the end of a sentence for some reason. no accent i think, but i guess someone from another state or country would probably think so lol
    Do you still call drinking fountains "bubblers" in Milwaukee? I know if one gets a little farther south, that term isn't used at all. Strictly Wisconsin!

PvN73 Guest
    I like the other Aussies on this board have an Australian Accent. There are really only 3 types of Aussie accents though - the general accent which most aussies have, the broad accent (ie - crocodile dundee, steve Irwin) who draw out the words and the "educated" accent - ie those people with something stuck up their arse and think they are English.. JERKS.
    It is also one of the hardes accents to master - aka Meryl Streep "A dingos took my baby" - absolute DISGRACE

Pryncis Guest
    Being born and raised in the south I can only assume my accent is southern. My brother is hearing impaired and growing up we had to make sure we spoke clearly and enunciated all of our words so he could learn the correct way to speak. When I get pissed off the true southern belle shines through. I've worked in call centers and places where I've had to tend phones and I'll usually get the "Are you really from the south?" question. I've also had quite a few people tell me I'd be a great phone sex operator! I take that as a complement because I hate the way I sound...

marimbagirl Guest
    I have a Southern accent and I use to get made fun of when I was living in Kansas City cause I pronounced things different and called every soft drink a Coke. My entire family is from the South and when we go home to Alabama it gets even worse.

linnydark Guest
    i have a scouse accent......
    explained as......UK
    Liverpool
    beatle country

linnydark Guest
    Liverpool rocks though..........<<<booze hound lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    SHHHHHHHH your not suppose to notice that sort of stuff. LOL

DeadRinger Guest
    What I want to know is, why do some Americans say "soda" and others say "pop"?

cachluv Guest
    "Do you have an accent?"

---Yes. I do.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    I was told that Amercians use Soda and Canadians use Pop, for the term Soda Pop?

It is all soft drink to me!

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Ive lived in California my whole life and I wish I knew what a California accent sounded like. Is it a accent or certain words we say? I admit I say Dude , Awesome, Rad and Gnarly. Is that what they mean?
    Native Californians have a regional accent that sounds like subdued valley girl talk. I hear it in my neighbors, my in-laws---they draw out the vowels too long with kind of a questioning sounding ending. I of course sound normal and coherent, being from the Seattle area.

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by linnydark View Post
    Liverpool rocks though..........<<<booze hound lol
    No, Cleveland rocks.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    No, Cleveland rocks.
    Yeah I heard that as well.

Now I have the song in my head from the DC show

Irishlass Guest
    My ex was from MASS and i swear we would have knock out drag out fights about him calling soda Tonic...I think his family was the only people that did that..Tonic what the hell is that...

anyway I dont have a accent but i did pick up some southern slang from my time in alabama. I say Fixin to and you'all

cindyk Guest
    i have a philly accent. some of my family live in south philly aka italian central, so they have the heaviest italian-philly accent and i love it. actually, i wish i talked like that sometimes. but i do have a philly accent, like saying 'wooder', 'youse', and 'are-ange' not 'or-ange' (i noticed my cousin from MD says 'or-ange' so i guess its some philly thing?). i also order iced tea, not sweet tea, get black and white milkshakes (Choc & vanilla mixed), say soda, and love water ice and soft philly pretzels. i also get in disputes on how to pronounce sausage, syrup, and water.

DeadRinger Guest
    And another thing - what the hell is a chocolate soda? Surely you don't have chocolate flavoured soft drink over there?

deathybrad Guest
    ...chocolate flavoured...
    LOL. It's more chocolate coloured. LOL.

MbalmR Guest
    I have a dear friend who was born and raised in Texas. In her late teens or early twenties, she moved to Australia. Now she has an American southern drawl AND an Aussie accent. It's one of the strangest things I've ever heard!

No accent here...

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    My ex was from MASS and i swear we would have knock out drag out fights about him calling soda Tonic...I think his family was the only people that did that..Tonic what the hell is that...
    the tonic l know of is a carbonated water that people drink with gin.
    l hate it.

Yep!
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Irishlass Guest
    And another thing - what the hell is a chocolate soda? Surely you don't have chocolate flavoured soft drink over there?
    I have heard of chocolate soda..On the Cosby Show Bill Cosby refers to Chocolate Soda as one of the treats he over indulges in
    I havnt seen in store except for Yahoo soda.
    maybe its a reginal thing? from the north east perhaps

Gardner32 Guest
    Well in California, we don't have accents! The rest of you do though!

i didn't think i had an accent as strong as other texans, but i guess i do. lol. when i lived in michigan the boys i worked with went ga-ga over it. oh yeah, and i still say "supper"
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Guest Guest
    I don't have an accent......you do.

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I don't have the standard issue Pittsburgh accent. I do say some words differently and I ask for gum bands when I should ask for rubber bands, but that's about it. Now, my grandmother has a Yinzer accent from hell. In her house, we warsh the deeshes, trim the booshes and eat feesh on fridee.

My boyfriend just moved here from England. It's really kind of funny how people will hear him talk then expect me to speak with the same accent. When I don't, it throws them off a bit.

TNpuck Guest
    I've been told I have little or no southern accent. But, I have been known to slip and say something like "I'm fixing to go to the store..."

seamuskaxen Guest
    I have a southern accent in Swedish.

Reecy Guest
    Yes I have a Brooklyn accent.

Listen closely.........

"Can I have a Chocolate egg cream."

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    I've been told I have little or no southern accent. But, I have been known to slip and say something like "I'm fixing to go to the store..."
    LMAO! I was born and raised in Nashville and, even now years later, I've been known to say "fixin" in the same context as the aforementioned... I'm fixin' to make supper etc...

shellileigh Guest
    I'm from Texas ya'll. Also I have a hearing problem so my speech is what kids say "you talk funny" kind of thing.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    oh yeah. raised in texas and i have the accent to prove it.
    i do say fixin' to and ya'll and supper

deathybrad Guest
    I'm not gay but my boyfriend has an accent.

PvN73 Guest
    I'm not gay but my boyfriend has an accent.
    YOU are funny - that calls for some CHAMPAGNE COMEDY!

RoRo Guest
    Born and raised in Tennessee and I've been told I have a southern drawl...dated a New Yorker and he constantly made fun of me..rat bastard!! lol I agree with the others we are always "Fixin" to do something and all carbonated drinks are "coke", all tea is iced and sweet, and if something stands still long enough we will batter it, deep fry it, and smother it in gravy...and yes there is a chocolate soda...I got one at Kroger grocery store and it was butt nasty...chocolate should NOT be carbonated

07outlawgt Guest
    Only while having sex......and it's german

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 07outlawgt View Post
    Only while having sex......and it's german
    There's nothing less romantic than German...

onehunglow Guest

So vats wrong vith it

There's nothing less romantic than German...
    You vill enjoy yahhhhhhh. Oh yaaaaaaaa

Bigfoot Guest
    My main is spanish, so yes, I do have a latino accent.