Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

I babysat for my bosses little boy tonight. Her husband dropped him off and picked him up an I don't think her husband understands my Northern WI accent..... I, for the most part, can understand him (they are Pakastani), but I don't think he has any clue what the hell I am talking about.
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    light globe = rubbXXXXXXer band oops! LIGHT BULB lol
    Lol! I was curious about that one.

deanfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    I have a VERY English accent. My Barnsley accent comes out when pissed off/tired. For those who've never heard a Barnsley accent I have provided a link with a Barnsley legend who sounds like most of my family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsYMPUE5sw
    I watched a couple of minutes. I could only understand a little because of the accent and he was talking fast. If I visited there I would spend the whole time saying what?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfan View Post
    I watched a couple of minutes. I could only understand a little because of the accent and he was talking fast. If I visited there I would spend the whole time saying what?
    I have "The Full Monty" (which is set in Sheffield and is a really great film) on DVD.

It has at least two English audio tracks. One for UK English and one for the US market.

And please please please please, somebody really make this "Don' you go Rounin Roun to Re Ro" movie. It would be brilliant! Loren Michaels, are you listening out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HWNNZGuldI

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I have found in my travels in Aussie, it is not so much the accent, but word usage that sets everyone apart.
    That could be it too. Although, I've found that South Australians and Western Australians have more British-sounding speech, e.g. saying "cassle" with a short sound instead of "cah-stle" for the word "castle", and "dah-nce" for "dance", etc. Queenslanders in the central/north of the state, as I said, tend to draw their words out more and put "hey" on the end of every sentence.

I saw a documentary not long ago called "The Sounds of Aus" about the Australian accent and how it changed in the different parts of the country from settlement to the present day. It was quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Kewl! I wouldn't have guessed that the British accent had changed much at all in the past 200 years.

My Shi-CAH-gah AYYCK-cent comes out when I'm homesick, drinking, and/or talking to someone who also hails from Chicago. All my "a's" get flattened out...like thaaaaat. We don't all sound like Chris Farley, however ("Da Bearsss...Da Bullsss..."). The thickest Chicago accents are maintained by the cops. Even I can barely understand them.

I played in a national orchestra once (members from all over, incl. Alaska & Hawaii), and of all the collected accents, mine got made fun of the most. Which I can understand...it's pretty cloying.

My favorite accents are: Tennessee; British; Irish; and Singapore (more the emphasis on unexpected words: "What is your DAMN problem! Just get me the HELL out of here!").
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    I am fluent in Pittsburghese (and surrounding environs) and would like to present the following only-in-Pittsburgh words:

slippy = slippery

gumband = rubber band

light globe = rubbXXXXXXer band oops! LIGHT BULB lol

liggle (rhymes with wiggle) = legal

mere = mirror

arnge = orange or "aren't"

Lebnanbaloanah = Lebanon Bologna - sliced sandwich meat - kind of like pepperoni

colecuts = cold cuts/sliced ham, bologna, turkey, etc.
    Allow me to add to that!

nebby = nosey
    redd up = to clean
    jaggers = thorns

On another accent subject, I have always been fascinated by how English folks can pick up someone's social class and where they're from just by their accent. To me, all English people sound the same (except for the really, cockney I think it's called, ones). I wonder if all Americans sound the same to British and Australian people?

Up in Northern Maine and Northern NH there are a lot of people of French Canadian background and they have a distinct accent too. Here is a good example of it: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-loggers/

DonnaMc Guest
    I am fluent in the Southern accent. Been in the south all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    I am fluent in the Southern accent. Been in the south all my life.
    Ha ha ha...me too, I'm a native Texan! When I was in Philadelphia (my mother's home town) and NYC (my husband's home town), everyone kept asking me to "say something" just to hear me talk...hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    I babysat for my bosses little boy tonight. Her husband dropped him off and picked him up an I don't think her husband understands my Northern WI accent..... I, for the most part, can understand him (they are Pakastani), but I don't think he has any clue what the hell I am talking about.
    That is kind of like the IT department where I work. They outsourced it to India. The funny thing is they use American names but they have such heavy accents. When they call back about an IT issue they always say "Hello, this Christopher, how may I help you."

After they resolve the issue we usually get a survey sent to us and we have to rate how well we can understand them, how heavy their accent is etc....

JudyAnn Guest
    Re: British accents. If your class is determined by your accent, do people fake an upper class accent? (I think I would)

I seem to recall that PM Margaret Thatcher affected an upper class accent that belied her lower-class upbringing and this caused a bit of controversy.

Re: American accents. My father, age 78, grew up in poverty in Washington, D.C. He learned to "drop" the working class accent that his brothers and sisters still have in order to go on to college and make his way in the professional world. No one would accuse him of being fake; he just sounded less "country" and more mainstream East Coast.

The D.C. accent is similar to the Baltimore, Maryland accent.

I was raised in Southern Indiana but my dad is from Southern Kentucky. I say mik instead of milk, accent is akkcent, and I brush my hayre, not hair. Celery is salary. Onion is ongyun.
    I have no idea why but it must be a mix of my parents and grandparents who were from Oklahoma.

I moved to Texas and have now picked up some of that. I am an accent mutt. I can clean it up a bit when I'm being professional. But for the most part I just go with it.

Djen Guest
    I was born in Indiana and lived there until I was 11, then we moved to Colorado in 1981 and I've lived here ever since. I don't think I have an accent, but people often ask where I'm from. When I tell them, they say, "Noooo, I thought you were from...." Then they say any number of other places. California, New York, Minnesota, seriously, all over the place.

So, I think that maybe I just speak strangely? Not an accent I picked up from living anywhere, just some weird crap I spew forth and can't hear that I'm doing?

Whatever, call it Djenspeak.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    I was born in Indiana and lived there until I was 11, then we moved to Colorado in 1981 and I've lived here ever since. I don't think I have an accent, but people often ask where I'm from. When I tell them, they say, "Noooo, I thought you were from...." Then they say any number of other places. California, New York, Minnesota, seriously, all over the place.

So, I think that maybe I just speak strangely? Not an accent I picked up from living anywhere, just some weird crap I spew forth and can't hear that I'm doing?

Whatever, call it Djenspeak.
    Next time someone tells you that, tell them you have an ideolect. It's just a fancy way of saying "that's just the way I talk."

It's really funny when German speakers try to guess where I am from. Usually it is painfully obvious that I'm American. Sometimes if I'm really disciplined with my pronounciation, for example, in court, I get Canada or England. On a good day I get Denmark or Norway. On a bad day, I occasionally get Switzerland or even Turkey. I think the later is probably proof of the power of suggestion, because I look vaguely Turkish to them. I get treated poorly by people who are laboring under the illusion that I am Turkish.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 09-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Scottish accent here.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I have a question about Irish accents. Do the folks in Ireland sound different than the folks in Northern Ireland? (to other Irish people, I mean. They'd all sound alike to me).

Djen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Next time someone tells you that, tell them you have an ideolect. It's just a fancy way of saying "that's just the way I talk."

It's really funny when German speakers try to guess where I am from. Usually it is painfully obvious that I'm American. Sometimes if I'm really disciplined with my pronounciation, for example, in court, I get Canada or England. On a good day I get Denmark or Norway. On a bad day, I occasionally get Switzerland or even Turkey. I think the later is probably proof of the power of suggestion, because I look vaguely Turkish to them. I get treated poorly by people who are laboring under the illusion that I am Turkish.
    Why thank you, I'll do that next time!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Why thank you, I'll do that next time!
    You're welcome. Cunning linguists aim to please.

Seagorath Guest
    I really don't have an accent. Unless I leave the United States for a foreign country...then folks point it out. :P

jeca Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    Scottish accent here.
    Best accent in the world.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    Best accent in the world.
    If I could accquire one accent in the world instantly, I think Scots English would be the one I would choose.

jeca Guest
    If I could accquire one accent in the world instantly, I think Scots English would be the one I would choose.
    A most excellent choice! It's sexier than hell.

Jacksmum Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    I have a VERY English accent. My Barnsley accent comes out when pissed off/tired. For those who've never heard a Barnsley accent I have provided a link with a Barnsley legend who sounds like most of my family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsYMPUE5sw
    That's how my relatives sound. They are in Derbyshire.

I teach English in South America. My students crack me up because after being in my class for a couple years, they start sounding like Michiganians. I have to laugh when I see a couple of Ecuadorians talking in midwestern accents about what kind of "pop" they want, coke or pepsi.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    I teach English in South America. My students crack me up because after being in my class for a couple years, they start sounding like Michiganians. I have to laugh when I see a couple of Ecuadorians talking in midwestern accents about what kind of "pop" they want, coke or pepsi.
    WOOT!

Don't forget to teach them to add Vernors and Faygo to the pop list.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    WOOT!

Don't forget to teach them to add Vernors and Faygo to the pop list.
    This is going to make things hard for those guys in the back room doing machine translation. Now we're going to have to teach our neuronal networks to divide the world into things that are and are not pop.

^^I can relate to that. My MIL still speaks the same way.

Me, I have a touch of "southern" when I'm very tired or drunk. "Missipi" is how we mention "MS" LOL.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    That made me laugh! Do they like Faygo Red "pAHp"?
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

deanfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    That is kind of like the IT department where I work. They outsourced it to India. The funny thing is they use American names but they have such heavy accents. When they call back about an IT issue they always say "Hello, this Christopher, how may I help you."

After they resolve the issue we usually get a survey sent to us and we have to rate how well we can understand them, how heavy their accent is etc....
    Ha Ha, like the commercial with the foreign guy named "Peggy"

Rosebud666 Guest
    I'm imagining trying to teach a neuronal network that the set of things that fulfill the conditions "associated with pop=true" + "associated with coke=false" + "associated with pepsi=true" + "associated with king=true" + "dead=true" includes Michael Jackson.

Every time your brain identifies a word, it's like playing twenty questions at the speed of light.

And they say computers will one day make human translators obsolete. Puh-leeease
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 09-29-2011 at 07:32 AM.

MinLynn Guest
    I lived in the south(Arkansas)growing up for 10 years and had a pretty strong southern accent. Then I moved to Chicago and was tormented for my accent so much that I worked really hard on getting rid of it and I guess acquired a Chicago-like accent. I've lived in Ohio now for 10 years and have picked up a bit of their half-ass southern slang but not much. My husband gets tickled to death and finds it quite hilarious that whenever I'm drunk or royally pissed off then my southern accent comes back full-force and there are still words that I can't say without a southern accent.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
    . . .I've lived in Ohio now for 10 years and have picked up a bit of their half-ass southern slang but not much.
    As the son of an educated Ohio hillbilly, I deeply resemble that remark!

I'm Scottish, does that count?
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtwin View Post
    Depends. Do you have a kilt, and what's worn under it?

Depends. Do you have a kilt, and what's worn under it?
    Depends

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DrDeath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogie Boogie View Post
    I have a question about Irish accents. Do the folks in Ireland sound different than the folks in Northern Ireland? (to other Irish people, I mean. They'd all sound alike to me).
    To me very different. The inflections are the same but the tone is totally different. Google Gerry Adams and then Father Ted and you'll see what I mean

Rosebud666 Guest
    Depends
    Well done lad! The mark of a true professional is knowing when his partner is setting up a punchline for him.

Maybe we should team up and hit the late night circuit? We could be Craig Ferguson's evil twin brothers.

Well done lad! The mark of a true professional is knowing when his partner is setting up a punchline for him.

Maybe we should team up and hit the late night circuit? We could be Craig Ferguson's evil twin brothers.
    Great idea, but i can only do Conan O'brien...I'm not allowed to stay up that late

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Since we're on the topic of accents, I've seen snippets on the Internet about how the United States regional accents are slowly disappearing due to our uber mobile society now. That kind of makes me sad. Our accents are part of who we are and make life interesting.

A couple of years ago I was chatting with a man from Boston about accents and he told me that in many of the Boston schools, they are teaching the kids to not use their Boston accents!! I love all of the different New England accents. Seems kind of a shame that they are doing that in Boston schools (if that is true).

jeca Guest
    Yep, it counts.

aedgar5000 Guest
    What?! Not partial to a good old Oil City accent?

jeca Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aedgar5000 View Post
    What?! Not partial to a good old Oil City accent?
    Oh yeah, that one will get me every time, too!

harlequin_clown Guest
    Got that West Virginia drawl that sounds cute on my mom, but slow on me

Jaxxx Guest
    I don't but everyone else does

Mammy Guest
    I have the most hillbilly Southern drawl you can possibly imagine and it doesn't bother me a bit. I talk very slow and draw it waaaay out and butcher the hell out of a lot of words.

deathhaggirl Guest
    Yes, i'm Australian. G'day Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I have the most hillbilly Southern drawl you can possibly imagine and it doesn't bother me a bit. I talk very slow and draw it waaaay out and butcher the hell out of a lot of words.
    I'm right there with ya, Mammy!

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That could be it too. Although, I've found that South Australians and Western Australians have more British-sounding speech, e.g. saying "cassle" with a short sound instead of "cah-stle" for the word "castle", and "dah-nce" for "dance", etc. Queenslanders in the central/north of the state, as I said, tend to draw their words out more and put "hey" on the end of every sentence.

I saw a documentary not long ago called "The Sounds of Aus" about the Australian accent and how it changed in the different parts of the country from settlement to the present day. It was quite interesting.
    I agree with you. Melburnians also seem to have a more clipped, British-style accent. I'm from Queensland, and the accent here is very broad and flat, like Steve Irwin's, for example.

People sometimes cock their heads to the side and ask me where I'm from or, "What's that accent?". See, I've been to every state and have lived in at least one state in the north, south, east and west. The answer they get depends on how they ask. Sometimes I'll tell them what I justwrote there. And other times I'll wave my arms and say, "Tay the wiiiiin'", while throwing in a little Matthew MaCaunaghey drawl and wander off, as you do.