Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3101112

Thread: Do you have an accent?

Katrinawitch Guest
    I'm from central New Jersey, and don't really have much of an accent. But occasionally I'll slip, and a word comes out sounding either very south Jersey, and less occasionally kinda north Jersey (you know, like caw-fee for coffee, law-ndry for laundry). But I just have a standard, average American accent. Contrary to popular belief, most people from NJ don't sound like Tony Soprano!

A close friend I grew up with lives in south Jersey, quite close to Philly, and her kids both have much more of a Philly accent. It's hard to describe, but listen to any video by the Dead Milkmen, and you'll hear a Philly accent.

I speak pretty proper and properly well enunciated English although I do use "y'all" a lot. Years ago here in south MS I took a few semesters of German at a local college. My instructor was a lovely young East German woman who left Germany when The Wall fell. Her English diction was far more proper than most of the American students in her classes. One day a student asked her when we might start studying what he called the German "ge" words - "gebrauchen"; "gehoren"; etc. She replied, "We ain't doin' that today; but we're fixin' to." There was a stunned silence followed by great laughter when we realized that she was modifying her proper English to fit her environment. Another amusing story about that instructor is that one day when she was explaining German word order rules and how they form and structure their sentences; a young American girl in the class raised her hand and said, "Why do y'all do it like that; that's too hard!!!???"

She never looked up from her desk; she just said, "That's German. I'll give you an address so that you can write and complain."

Unrequited love; German women rule.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Seagorath Guest
    Sorta redneck accent here...and some exaggerated wordisms and phraseology that I honed and crafted over the years.

Basically, I sound like a pompous southern douche.

navallint Guest

Not really. Let me explain that better. When I talk...I usually sound like someone who's a newscaster. Just one of those general non-accent accents. But, when I get mad at someone and start yelling. You can definitely tell I'm from KY. I have a southern drawl when I get angry. But, I don't use southern slang words. Except for ya'll. And, that's mostly online.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

everlastinglove Guest
    I have your basic Pacific Northwest accent (that doesn't really sound like it comes from anywhere), with a teeny bit of northern Michigan/Minnesota (that sounds Canadian to the untrained ear) because I have family up there.

No. but every one outside of Oklahoma does.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by smg View Post
    Scottish accent here.
    Me too, I am from Edinburgh. Scotland( with something from Canada)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

USA Southern drawl here.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Very slight southern twang. I'm from the south, though, South Kansas City. Although a former coworker told me I ALSO have a slight Spanish accent, which is odd since Spanish is actually my second language.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Very slight southern twang. I'm from the south, though, South Kansas City. Although a former coworker told me I ALSO have a slight Spanish accent, which is odd since Spanish is actually my second language.
    Are you around a lot of people with a Spanish accent? I ask because--oddly enough--though I can't hear, I pick up accents from those around me ala friends from Queens, NY, and an Iroquois from the Bronx. I never picked up Nabo's accent, though. Go figure.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Are you around a lot of people with a Spanish accent? I ask because--oddly enough--though I can't hear, I pick up accents from those around me ala friends from Queens, NY, and an Iroquois from the Bronx. I never picked up Nabo's accent, though. Go figure.
    Yeah, I was for over 10 years when I worked at McDonald's. And had to speak Spanish to communicate with them. So maybe that's it? I don't know....
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Yeah, I was for over 10 years when I worked at McDonald's. And had to speak Spanish to communicate with them. So maybe that's it? I don't know....
    Makes sense to me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I beat you all with my French accent when I speak English, even more so when I speak Italian.
    My way of speaking English has been strongly influenced by some guy from Tupelo, Ms, who sang Hound Dog and Can't Help Falling in Love.

When I speak in French, I still display a slight southwestern accent, that from the Bordeaux area, inherited from my maternal family.

Regarding the Southern drawl, when Greyhound lost my baggage way back in the time and I was stuck in Memphis, I got immersed in the local accent when I dealt with the tracing agent. I was flabbergasted.

Sexy English accent : Americans (although you may be annoying at times because you speak way to loud and sometimes every other word you use is "like").
    Un-sexy English accents : English women, Italians when they speak English, Far Eastern Asians when they speak English.
    Funny English accent : Scots.
    ••••••••••••••• Worldwide famous J. from Paris •••••••••••••••

I am living in California for the last nine years, almost ten, haven't heard a California accent from anyone, never heard anyone says Dudeee (think Encino Man), Gnarly, Rad, Surfs up, or those stereotypical things people think Californians say. As for me I don't know if I have an accent, I grew up in Indiana, moved to Missouri, never picked up the Missouri accent, people told me when I first moved to Missouri I had an accent.

Doctor Warp Guest
    Yes. Everybody has an accent even if it isn't distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    USA Southern drawl here.
    This makes me smile.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    This makes me smile.
    The Northern folk in my college knew I was from Georgia the minute I opened my mouth.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Everyone has an accent.