Thread: Michael Jeter

Michael Jeter

(August 26, 1952 - March 30, 2003) was a Tony and Emmy award winning American actor, well known for his work on stage and screen.
    Jeter was born in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, son of William and Virginia Jeter. He was a student at Memphis State University when his interests changed from medicine to acting. He pursued his initial stage career in Baltimore, Maryland, as he had heard it was hard to get work in New York without an equity card.
    His woebegone look, extreme flexibility and high energy led Tommy Tune to cast him in the Off-Broadway Cloud 9 and, on Broadway, in a memorable role in the musical Grand Hotel, for which he won a Tony Award in 1990.
    He was open about his homosexuality and troubles with drug and alcohol addiction, and for a time decided to retire from entertainment, but was eventually enticed back with roles on television and in movies. Much of his film and television work specialized in playing eccentric, pretentious or wimpy characters like The Fisher King, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Drop Zone. Although occasionally, Jeter was able to stray away from these kinds of roles for more appealing characters like Jurassic Park III and Open Range. He won an Emmy award in 1992 for his role in the television sitcom Evening Shade. He was also a favorite with younger audiences in his role as "Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle" on Sesame Street from 2000 to 2003.
    He was diagnosed with HIV in 1997.

Danny62 Guest
    10 June 1992 Joins an all-star cast for a tribute to Stephen Sondheim in a production called "Sondheim - A Celebration at Carnegie Hall". Michael performed with James Naughton in a duet called "Waiting for the Girls"
    He won a Tony in 1990 for "Grand Hotel".

Turned from career in medicine to acting while a student at Memphis State Univ.

Won an Emmy for his portrayl of fragile math teacher Herman Styles on "Evening Shade"

Jeter is widely known by toddlers and preschoolers everywhere as Sesame Street's loveable buffoon 'Mr Noodle's brother, Mr Noodle'.

Won Broadway's 1990 Tony as Best Actor (Featured Role - Musical) for "Grand Hotel, The Musical."

Revealed his HIV status on "Entertainment Tonight" before it could be revealed by any tabloids.

He was survived by his life partner, Sean Blue; his parents, Dr. William and Virgina Jeter of Lawrenceburg, Tennessee; his brother, William; and four sisters, Virginia, Amanda, Emily and Larie.

poppie Guest
    I cannot tell you how sad I was to hear that Michae Jeter had died. So young, so talents, such a waste. His role in THE GREEN MILE was the epitome of his talent. EVENING SHADES brought him public recognition, but this little guy was already the comsumate actor. Michael, I miss the hell out of you, and I hope you are so happy wherever you are.

I loved him in the Fisher King....

cachluv Guest

and with his GORGEOUS man.....

Last edited by cachluv; 11-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    I miss Mr. Noodle!!! So sad.

He was fantastic in Open Range.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I cannot tell you how sad I was to hear that Michae Jeter had died. So young, so talents, such a waste. His role in THE GREEN MILE was the epitome of his talent. EVENING SHADES brought him public recognition, but this little guy was already the comsumate actor. Michael, I miss the hell out of you, and I hope you are so happy wherever you are.
    I couldn`t have said it better myself.....this is one actor that I truly was upset about when he passed....

Quote Originally Posted by tiffsboys4 View Post
    He was fantastic in Open Range.
    Another great movie! And role for Jeter...

leevancleef Guest
    Aw, he was fabulous, how sad!

Tebssis Guest
    I agree with Poppie, his best work was the Green Mile, IMO. So sad that he was taken from us so soon.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    I agree with Poppie, his best work was the Green Mile, IMO. So sad that he was taken from us so soon.
    Po ol Del.

I loved him in "Evening Shade"...you are missed Michael

Loved him in Evening Shade here too.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I was kinda shocked when I learned he was gay. I didn't see that coming...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I loved him in the Fisher King....
    I choke with laughter every time I see Michael Jeter and Amanda Plummer in the scene in the bank:

"Happy Birthday to you, [SIZE=5]LYDIA !!![SIZE=2]"[/SIZE][/SIZE]

i seem to recall his role as one of the little priests in Sister Act II.... (he's up there with mr. jingles...)
    pull the string!

Rhiannon Guest
    Hope that he and Mr. Jingles are happy at last in the "Cirque du Mousies". Such a great talent on so many levels...

burgtwngrl Guest
    Green Mile was the best

Tebssis Guest
    So true, burg. I think it was MJ's best work too.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    Hope that he and Mr. Jingles are happy at last in the "Cirque du Mousies". Such a great talent on so many levels...
    He was perfect in that role.

I read the story when it first came out and really dug it.

My movie date leaned over during the film and asked me what his character was in prison for. I made the mistake of telling him and he lost all sympathy for the guy.

I wont' do that again!

Mr. Noodle, lol, cool

sablegsd Guest
    I guess I am in the minority here, I didn't care for him at all.

deathpool Guest
    He was such a funny actor. I remember him in Evening Shade. He was also in Sister Act 2.

Nayzo Guest
    I was sad to hear of his passing as well. As much as I love him in The Green Mile, I can't help but get a big kick out of his memorable scene in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Another talent lost too early.

Vamp Guest
    I loved, loved, loved him on Evening Shade. He was the only reason I ever watched the show.

djdeath-hag Guest
    My favorite Michael Jeter role was his portrayal of Carson Callas in "Tales of the City", a minor role...but he was sooo fabulously bitchy....and sexy.

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Michael made many mainstream films as well. What a talened character actor! Two roles that come to mind are Jurassic Park III and The Green Mile. He was great in both.

RIP Michael....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I loved him in every role that he played (that I saw on film or TV). Two or three days ago, Hallmark Channel ran "The Boys Next Door" which dealt with mentally challenged adults trying to adjust to day-to-day living. He was brilliant!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Mulvaness Guest
    I really miss him. He was a wonderful actor!! I was so very sad to hear of his passing!

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I loved him in every role that he played (that I saw on film or TV). Two or three days ago, Hallmark Channel ran "The Boys Next Door" which dealt with mentally challenged adults trying to adjust to day-to-day living. He was brilliant!
    Yes... the was an obscure film but he was brilliant in that. It's about a group home of mentally challenged people who help each other! The cast was incredible. It included Nathan Lane, Mare Winningham and many more character actors.

It is a must see tear jerker.... and Michaels scene at the grocery store is so precious.

He is missed.

Katrinawitch Guest
    I can't remember if he was Mr. Noodle, or Mr. Noodle's brother, Mr. Noodle!

Loved him in The Green Mile. It was on just a few days ago. That's one of those movies that, if it's on, I have to stop and watch it. And I always end up crying!

TIMB1967 Guest
    He was fantastic in Evening Shade as well as many of the other roles he played. I had forgotten that small role in Tales of the City...very funny..

I had not realized he was in so many other movies I have yet to see. only one I can remember him in is The Green Mile. Now I have a reason for "Movie Night"...

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ManUnitedRedDevil View Post
    I miss Mr. Noodle!!! So sad.

Ah yes, Mr. Noodle's brother, Mr. Noodle. My little niece watches Elmo's World all the time, and it is neat to see Michael performing for the children. RIP Michael.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Yet ANOTHER person I didn't even realize I was dead until I joined FAD!

His turn in THE FISHER KING was hysterical !

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

omg that video of him singing from the fisher king is adorable! he looks so genuinely happy. i have a sads now and i didn't even know who he was until i saw this thread... aww.. poor dude. god i wish i could go back to the 80's and 90's to save all the immensely talented people who died of aids/aids related diseases.