Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Taylor

I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf again last night. Wow. She was a real treasure. There will never be another like her.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

lynn wilson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Parts of the movie were filmed in Kentucky. The small white chapel in the movie is Alexander Chapel. It was built by my maternal Great Great Grandfather to fulfill a promise to God. He had one son who fought for the North and one who fought for the South. He promised God if they made it home safe he would build a chapel and he did. It was a pretty dollhouse of a church in the "new" family cemetery, we have two. They saw it while scouting locations and secured permission to film there.
    A little bit of family trivia.
    Regards,
    Mary

WOW that is fascinating...and what a great feeling to watch the movie...and see the Chapel and know your family built it

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn wilson View Post
    WOW that is fascinating...and what a great feeling to watch the movie...and see the Chapel and know your family built it
    That is indeed a great story Mary. As for Forest Lawn, I hate them! As I stated on a thread about FL awhile back, I have always been very respectful visiting cemeteries. I was in a building at one of the FL's (don't remember which one) and a guard confiscated the guide book I was carrying saying I would get it back when I left. Meanwhile, all over the place were statues and benches with signs stating for only $10,000 or $15,000 etc., you can have this bench/statue placed near your loved one. Not very classy to me! I did sneak in one time to see Gable and Lombard. There was a rope across the hallway and I had my mom stand watch while I ran down and took a quick look. I so wish Liz would have chosen Westwood. You would think she would want to be with her parents and I believe she was close to her mother.

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe_Zeppelin View Post
    I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf again last night. Wow. She was a real treasure. There will never be another like her.
    That is one of the best, I think! She's so intense with Richard. What a dysfunctional relationship that movie portrayed. It really showed her as a truly serious actress and performer! It was also a very disturbing film. But wow... you get so drawn in!
    She will be missed. She truly is one of the last great "Movie Stars" from the Golden age of films!

crazedfemale Guest
    I think it's so cool that the girl who grew up across the street from me married Elizabeth's son Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    Agree!

RIP Dame Elizabeth
    Oh wow, epic is no word for it! Wow! This may be the biggest one yet... maybe. Wondering if Larry Fortensky is going to make an appearance..

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I heard that folks were so ready for Liz's death that the obituary that ran in the N.Y. Times was written by a guy that died 6 years ago...

smokincat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I heard that folks were so ready for Liz's death that the obituary that ran in the N.Y. Times was written by a guy that died 6 years ago...
    She outlived most of her obituarists. Think about that. We lost the last movie star. allright Johnny Depp is in that league, but still what a way to go.

smokincat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Oh wow, epic is no word for it! Wow! This may be the biggest one yet... maybe. Wondering if Larry Fortensky is going to make an appearance..
    From what I gather, she paid him to disappear. I'd be surprised if he tried to show up, since he was a boy toy.

smokincat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smokincat View Post
    From what I gather, she paid him to disappear. I'd be surprised if he tried to show up, since he was a boy toy.
    It was the 80's, so Elizabeth bought a husband. There was no love between them, but his job was to be her husband til she tired of him. He got paid well for his services, but he was never a "love". Just a hired hand....but only Elizabeth could have done that at the time.

We have lost the most beautiful woman of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    Well, now she's reunited with Monty. They really loved each other.

I have seen many photos of Elizabeth Taylor since she passed, but so far, this is my favourite. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I think I'm gonna go cwy now....

Forever-27 Guest
    I think I had her in my death pool list. Wow score one for me. Yah !

Pat MaGroin Guest

Liz Outlived Her Obituary Writer By Almost 6 Years..

Here is a link to the obituary that ran in The New York Times by Mel Gussow

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/mo...ref=obituaries

A Lustrous Pinnacle of Hollywood Glamour
    By MEL GUSSOW

Published: March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor, the actress who dazzled generations of moviegoers with her stunning beauty and whose name was synonymous with Hollywood glamour, died on Wednesday in Los Angeles. She was 79.

Mel Gussow died April 29, 2005

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_839580.html

Elizabeth Taylor Outlives Her NYT Obituary Writer Mel Gussow

Elizabeth Taylor, who died Wednesday at 79, not only rose to the heights of stardom during her legendary life, she also accomplished something rare even for susperstars: she outlived one of her obituary writers.
    In this case, the writer was former New York Times journalist Mel Gussow. It is common practice for news organizations to write obituaries of notable figures before they have actually died. What is not as common is for the obituary writer to die before the obituary is published. But Gussow died in 2005, forcing the Times to attach a note to his obituary: "Mel Gussow, the principal writer of this article, died in 2005. William McDonald and the Associated Press contributed updated reporting."
    This is not the first time that a Hollywood legend outlived a New York Times obituary writer. In 2003, Bob Hope died at 100. His obituary writer, former Times film critic Vincent Canby, had died in 2000.

slw Guest
    can anyone find a photo that does justice to her violet eyes? All the ones Ive seen just look blue. Her violet eyes perfume ad looks a bit photoshopped to me.

Hippo Guest
    To slw:

I don't think her eyes really were violet at all. I think they were just a nice shade of blue, and that "violet" thing is just a rumor that got started to make her appear more exotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    To slw:

I don't think her eyes really were violet at all. I think they were just a nice shade of blue, and that "violet" thing is just a rumor that got started to make her appear more exotic.
    Her eyes were actually violet, not to be confused with purple.

slw Guest
    Thanks. I just can't see it! I know they won't be purple but they just look blue to me!

Lucy Riccardo Guest
    I liked her in Giant. When I used to watch General Hospital I loved how she portrayed her character..seemed to me though like she was a very compassionate caring person.

Lucy Riccardo Guest
    Also,she gave James Dean his beloved cat he named Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by slw View Post
    can anyone find a photo that does justice to her violet eyes? All the ones Ive seen just look blue. Her violet eyes perfume ad looks a bit photoshopped to me.
    I have a hardcover biography book of her called Elizabeth by J. Randy Taraborrelli with a color cover photo of her with her violet eyes. According to the jacket, it says the Jacket Photograph is copyright Camera Press/Retna Ltd. Doesn't list a photographer's name.

Unfortunately, while there are some beautiful pics in the book itself, they are all black & white.

Here's the link to what it looks like on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Hard...1281011&sr=8-7
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

I wonder if when she got to the prep room at FL if when they 'assessed' her (took down identifying info, etc.) if the prep staff automatically listed her eyes as violet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    I have a hardcover biography book of her called Elizabeth by J. Randy Taraborrelli with a color cover photo of her with her violet eyes. According to the jacket, it says the Jacket Photograph is copyright Camera Press/Retna Ltd. Doesn't list a photographer's name.

Unfortunately, while there are some beautiful pics in the book itself, they are all black & white.

Here's the link to what it looks like on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Hard...1281011&sr=8-7
    I would recommend it. It's an easy, fast read and covers a lot of detail. I know, I wished the pics, or at least some of them, were color.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Hippo Guest
    Those photos have been touched up. I would not believe the color is accurate.

I know that violet is more of a lavender color, not purple.

I still think her eyes are just a nice blue.

I think that the "violet" thing is more of a story that got started and repeated.

I have I hard time believing that they have touched up every color photo ever taken of her eyes.

I suppose that regardless of what color you want to call her eyes, they were definitely a very rare and striking shade.

I did find a science page link that talks about the 5 rarest colors for eyes.

http://www.helium.com/items/1435938-rarest-eye-colors

"Violet eyes make their appearance at number three on the list. Violet eyes are the mixing of red eyes with a blue reflection. In their truest form they are found in albinos, although they are possible as a mutation to those who are not albino. This color is commonly mistaken in people that have blue eyes and are exhibiting a significant case of bloodshot eyes. In those cases it is nothing more than a trick of the mind that eyes appear violet and it is only a temporary condition."

I'm sure that Elizabeth also chose makeup and eye shadows to help enhance the effect and bring out the color deeper.
    Last edited by Metal Mel; 03-27-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added a link and blurb
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

It's a bit large, but you can definitely tell here

slw Guest
    Thank You, I knew there'd be piccies if I asked for them!! They certainly were a beautiful shade

Does anyone know if her brother is still alive?

1karenhb Guest
    Thanks Wickedkitten! I can't stop staring at those gorgeous eyes

Reecy Guest
    Debbie Reynolds is a class act. I tip my hat off to her. To forgive Liz for stealing Eddie Fisher.

You go Debbie!

31. 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM

32. 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nicki Guest
    Sheesh, Would love to see some Pictures of the actual Funeral. Hope they show up soon.

As far as I know, her brother is still alive.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    Love this! My favorite photos are always the candids. One of my favorites with Liz was The Last time I saw Paris. I watched it as a little girl with my Grandma. Even as a wee one I was in awe of her beauty. RIP.

This famour Burton-Taylor ring was already sold for charity.
    Her collection is still worth a lot of money.

2011 02:30 PM ET

Sources: Elizabeth Taylor’s Jewels to Be Auctioned at Christie’s

Forum Press/Rex USA
    As the world continues to mourn the passing of Elizabeth Taylor, there is one question that comes to mind: What’s going to happen to those fabulous jewels? According to sources, the actress’s brilliant baubles — estimated in the past at $150 million collectively — are expected to be auctioned by Christie’s sometime in the future. (A Christie’s spokeswoman declined to comment.) Part of what makes her collection so special is its quality, according to Luxury Jewels of Beverly Hills President/CEO Peter Sedghi, who worked with the star on her House of Taylor jewelry line. “She had the most amazing eye,” he tells PEOPLE. “To be honest, she knew more than I did [about jewelry]. When you would show her stones, she would tell you the origin, if it’s good quality, bad quality, where it came from.” And though Taylor loved it all — colored stones, pearls — she had a special place in her heart for diamonds, Sedghi says. “She had a collection like I’ve never seen before, and she knew exactly what every one was — what the diamonds were, the quality. But it was more for her; it was … the history behind it. A lot of them had sentimental value.” Friend and celebrity jeweler Lorraine Schwartz says such sparklers were a natural part of Taylor’s history. “The studios, in order to make her happy, they’d always give her jewelry. So she grew up collecting it,” she explains. “People always gave her gifts … it was something that she learned to love.” And she took great care of them, too. “She [had] collections and collections, and rooms. She [knew] where every single piece was. [It was] amazing.” Of all her baubles — which included the 69-carat Taylor-Burton diamond (pictured, purchased for more than $1 million) — it was the 33-carat Krupp diamond, gifted to her by fifth husband Richard Burton, that she treasured most. But regardless of which jewels she preferred, she was always wearing at least one. In fact, Schwartz remembers receiving a phone call one morning in 2003 after Taylor had taken a fall. “She was like, ‘I don’t feel good, my hair is dirty but I’m wearing my bracelet,’” she recalls. “I mean, fabulous.” For more on Taylor’s life and legacy, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands now.Reporting by Joanne Fowler, Lesley Messer and Michelle Tan

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.co...ories/jewelry/
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post
    Guess you know every gay man in the world is in mourning at this sad time? R.I.P. Liz. I'm sure there was a big welcome committee waiting at the pearly gates for your arrival.
    I was thinking this same thing... RIP Liz. Montag has NOTHING on you.

she was worth $600 million - not bad for someone who hadn't done a decent movie since 1966. I always considered her an annoying washed up old hag. I recently read 'Furious Love' and it made me hate her even more. I felt sorry for the henpecked Richard Burton - no man on earth could live with this woman. She seemed to suck the life out of the men in her life. She also suffered from Hollywood Disease - the desire to save the world while unable to save herself.

http://ca.gawker.com/5786481/elizabeth-taylor-was-worth-more-money-than-you-imagined

$600 million - I guess she laughed all the way to the grave.

motherogod Guest
    FINALLY watched Cleopatra this weekend. Liz was great, but oh Rex Harrison! I wonder if Richard Burton was actually an actor or just himself. I've thought this before when I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

cto69 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    Here is a link to the obituary that ran in The New York Times by Mel Gussow

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/mo...ref=obituaries

A Lustrous Pinnacle of Hollywood Glamour
    By MEL GUSSOW

Published: March 23, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor, the actress who dazzled generations of moviegoers with her stunning beauty and whose name was synonymous with Hollywood glamour, died on Wednesday in Los Angeles. She was 79.

Mel Gussow died April 29, 2005

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_839580.html

Elizabeth Taylor Outlives Her NYT Obituary Writer Mel Gussow

Elizabeth Taylor, who died Wednesday at 79, not only rose to the heights of stardom during her legendary life, she also accomplished something rare even for susperstars: she outlived one of her obituary writers.
    In this case, the writer was former New York Times journalist Mel Gussow. It is common practice for news organizations to write obituaries of notable figures before they have actually died. What is not as common is for the obituary writer to die before the obituary is published. But Gussow died in 2005, forcing the Times to attach a note to his obituary: "Mel Gussow, the principal writer of this article, died in 2005. William McDonald and the Associated Press contributed updated reporting."
    This is not the first time that a Hollywood legend outlived a New York Times obituary writer. In 2003, Bob Hope died at 100. His obituary writer, former Times film critic Vincent Canby, had died in 2000.
    OMG this is hysterical i just spat my coffee over my computer

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    she was worth $600 million - not bad for someone who hadn't done a decent movie since 1966. I always considered her an annoying washed up old hag. I recently read 'Furious Love' and it made me hate her even more. I felt sorry for the henpecked Richard Burton - no man on earth could live with this woman. She seemed to suck the life out of the men in her life. She also suffered from Hollywood Disease - the desire to save the world while unable to save herself.

http://ca.gawker.com/5786481/elizabeth-taylor-was-worth-more-money-than-you-imagined

$600 million - I guess she laughed all the way to the grave.

Annoying? What about all the help and awareness she brought to AIDS victums and causes.
    I also read "Furious Love" and remember Burton wrote Elizabeth a letter asking to come home. But she recieved the letter after his demise.
    I loved Elizabeth and there will never be anyone as beautiful as her.

wonderboynj Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Regarding those Westboro assholes:

I hope there's a special place in HELL for ALL of them because they have been proven to be nothing but a CULT!!!!

R.I.P, Dame Elizabeth....you are missed...
    I second the emotions on Dame Elizabeth. I'm not too familiar with her movies although I know very well who she is and I once tried to knock on the front door of her home in Puerto Vallarta.

I have to say regarding Fred Phelps though, I cannot wait for him to die so I can organize a picket at his funeral.

That's all

radiojane Guest
    It's awesome the work she did for AIDS. I totally give her props for that. She was also a talented actress and very beautiful.

However, there's really no escaping the fact that she was a total butter crusted nut bar who was addicted to attention and thrived on drama. This is pretty well documented because she let a great deal of her life play out in the press.

I'm all for mourning the passing of a great actress, but I'm not shining up a halo for her just yet.

Personally I like her better without the halo, flaws and all.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    Personally I like her better without the halo, flaws and all.

indeed. much more fascinating.

Elizabeth was quoted as saying years ago, "sure Im vulgar but would you want me any other way." I have always enjoyed reading about the drama in her life and will continue.

cto69 Guest
    No she was a diva i would say, but then again she could have been as bad as Zsa zsa gabor if she chose to be, who from all accounts hasn`t got long for this world.

nettybo Guest
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but I saw this story up on IMDB today. Apparently she was buried with Burton's last loveletter to her. Thought I'd share with my fellow death hags!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...zabeth-Taylor- buried-Richard-Burtons-love-letter-her.html

Quote Originally Posted by smokincat View Post
    Bleh! What a poor choice in boy toys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by nettybo View Post
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but I saw this story up on IMDB today. Apparently she was buried with Burton's last loveletter to her. Thought I'd share with my fellow death hags!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...zabeth-Taylor- buried-Richard-Burtons-love-letter-her.html
    I wondered about that and hoped she took it with her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Bleh! What a poor choice in boy toys.
    She was really good friends with Colin Farrell before she passed so I'm going to give her a pass on old Larry.