Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Taylor

sheri Guest
    RIP Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by BabaBooey View Post
    This makes me sad. I'm young, 33, and I don't like seeing our legends die. It means new generations will have legends like Heidi Montag. <Shudder>
    Gosh, I shudder at that thought too! All the real movie stars are dying off - it's sad.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    seriously what the Fuck are with these people?!?!?!

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/23/elizab...margie-phelps/

is this all they do??!
    Yep, that's all they basically do. They're disgusting and disrespectful.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    I wonder if she arranged to have flowers sent to her OWN funeral.
    Dammit! Someone beat me to that joke. lol

I heard it on the radio this morning.... In a way it wasn't a surprise but it was a shock. I'm not sure if it's the end of an era (we still have a scant few from that time around, ie. Lauren Bacall), but it is a sad time in Hollywood.

I've always been fascinated by the fact that she had violent-colored eyes. I remember hearing about that when I was a kid and wishing I had eyes that color. I also read in one of the many articles written up about her today that she was born with a 'double set' of eyelashes, so they naturally looked lush and large. Anyone know if that tidbit of information is true?

darlingmissmarple Guest
    I wonder if it was Mike Todd or Richard Burton who was her greatest love.
    She deserved all praise for the recognition and support for HIV. She was speaking out when no other stars or important people were? She was brave and loyal.

xbluerosex Guest
    In one of her last interviews, to Us Weekly,she hsared 25 things fans didn't know about her.

Her list:

1. Before I made films, I had a lemonade stand in Southern California.

2. When José Eber is out of town, I love to cut my hair and anyone else's.

3. I'm mad for Law & Order and have seen every single episode. My children and Mariska Hargitay, a dazzling actress, played together as kids.

4. I converted to Judaism in 1959.

5. My Jewish name is Elisheba Rachel.

6. My first horse was named Betty.

7. I didn't go on a date until I was 16.

8. My legs are too short.

9. The film I'm proudest of is Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

10. I never face the day without perfume.

11. I dreamed of designing perfume 25 years before I did it.

12. I love blood-orange juice.

13. My very first memory is of pain.

14. I'm still heartbroken that Richard [Burton] never won an Oscar.

15. I am sincerely not worried about getting old.

16. I never tried to act until A Place in the Sun.

17. I am disgusted by the amount of myth about me that is accepted as fact.

18. People on Twitter named my new fragrance, Violet Eyes.

19. I've never had acting lessons, though many people think I need them.

20. In my twenties, I nearly lost my eye and my leg. Still have them both, tee hee.

21. Nerves are the nemesis of all actors.

22. I hate being called Liz, because it can sound like such a hiss.

23. I believe you can be close to God anywhere.

24. My dog Delilah is in love with my cat Fang. To each his own.

25. My family and people with HIV/AIDS are my life.

She had this otherworldly quality about her due to her beauty. I think we all knew that her name would probably appear very soon, but seeing Elizabeth Taylor in the Actors'/Actresses' section is surreal right now. Ms Taylor devoted a great deal of time to her philanthropic endeavors, but I admire her most for her devotion to AIDS victims and patients.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I literally had someone in their 30's ask me this morning: "which films did she star in?" He could not name a SINGLE film Liz Taylor made. Sadly, it's not just kids. What makes it more insulting, is that the person who asked this question actually works in the film industry, right alongside me.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    These kids today are ridiculous....they don't care about anything that didn't happen two minutes ago. It's beyond disgusting. When I was a kid, even though guys like Valentino or Gable weren't of my generation, I knew who they were and watched and greatly enjoyed them. Why can't these kids have the same appreciation? I hate that word "Who?" and for a minute, you think they're joking, that they must be kidding not to know who Elizabeth Taylor is. But it's no joke, they actually don't. It's up to the Hollywood community of today to reach out and educate younger people about these giants of film and stage who BUILT the industry so that minimal talents like Lohan, Angelina Jolie, and the list goes on etc. can even exist. If memories fade completely about the major players like Taylor and so-called "old hollywood", we'll have nothing left. So, when they say, "Who?" I guess just try to educate them and suggest movies they can see and how and why it's important for them to do that....but it's horribly frustrating and depressing....

jimmy's One Guest
    Elizabeth Taylor I will always remember her for her part in 'Giant, as well as her role in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf' and 'Cleopatra'.
    Another great actress of that generation that's gone.

Starstruck Guest
    A stunning woman.

I wish they would not give those assholes the publicity. I swear, if they came here to Houston, I would go and meet them and try to beat the shit out of them. I would not care if I got arrested. First time where I wouldnt care.!!

BabaBooey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    I literally had someone in their 30's ask me this morning: "which films did she star in?" He could not name a SINGLE film Liz Taylor made. Sadly, it's not just kids. What makes it more insulting, is that the person who asked this question actually works in the film industry, right alongside me.

Go figure.
    Okay, I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with her filmography. Most of my memories have to do with her perfume commercials.

BabaBooey Guest
    Also, I wanted to chime in on a few comments some people made. Elizabeth Taylor was not the only celebrity that was involved in early AIDS/HIV awareness. Diana, Princess of Wales, was also involved in educating the public. She even visited AIDS patients in hospitals. Sorry, but it was irritating me.

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin76 View Post
    I just read about her passing, I am so sad. I thought for sure she would be going home. Well, the only solace I have in her passing is she can now be with all the people she loved. James Dean, Rock Hudson, Michael Jackson, and Richard Burton, RIP Elizabeth, you will be missed.
    Dont forget Montgomery Clift. She saved his life after his car crashed into a tree.

See she was a real hero as well as an amazing actress, humanatirian, hollywood royalty........ the list goes on and on

cto69 Guest
    What a giant star she was, what a great beauty and what a generous person she was especially regarding her work in AIDS. She was also a tremendously loyal friend. Its hard to believe she is gone, i`m 41, but imagine what it must be like to be in your 80`s and to have followed her career all these years.My mother looked a lot like her, was the same age and a fan. She died recently and it makes me sad to hear of Taylors death it feels strangely symbolic to me.
    My sympathys to her family, Rest in Peace Dame Elizabeth Taylor

rjbrasher Guest
    out of wondering, why haven't the church people been arrested, isn't that consider harrasment/stocking, or do they get to slide due to the first amendment?

Jacksmum Guest
    Can someone explain to me why someone is wanting to picket her funeral. I may have asked this before somewhere else but I can't remember. Seems odd. Is it something to do with the fact she was an AIDS activists?

Bayou Queen Guest
    I remember the days when Photoplay was the "People" magazine of it's day and when I was a child, she and Burton were constanly on the cover. I have to laugh now as back then when I was young she was so wildly popular I thought she was the Queen of England, as they were both Elizabeth. I think she and Debbie Reynolds made peace years ago.

Let's not forget how she was the first to come out in Hollywood as an alcoholic, which helped many get into treatment themselves. Let's see if those Westborough nuts can get anywhere near her funeral.

I have always wondered why were there not more photos of her and her children?
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 03-24-2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Spelling, left out wording

Jacksmum Guest
    Nevermind, I just googled it. SICK SICK SICK - I hope the bikers come and kick ass, that is if they get anywhere near her, which I can't see happening at all.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Another legend gone

endsleigh03 Guest
    seriously what the Fuck are with these people?!?!?!

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/23/elizab...margie-phelps/

is this all they do??!
    Oh, no, not again

Quote Originally Posted by cto69 View Post
    What a giant star she was, what a great beauty and what a generous person she was especially regarding her work in AIDS. She was also a tremendously loyal friend. Its hard to believe she is gone, i`m 41, but imagine what it must be like to be in your 80`s and to have followed her career all these years.My mother looked a lot like her, was the same age and a fan. She died recently and it makes me sad to hear of Taylors death it feels strangely symbolic to me.
    My sympathys to her family, Rest in Peace Dame Elizabeth Taylor
    My condolences about your mom. My mom passed away a couple of years ago and was a huge fan of Elizabeth Taylor also so I share your feelings of her passing being very symbolic. It's interesting that so many people identified with her, maybe because of her health problems or her various challenges. It's like she'd been around forever and would stay with us forever but sadly no one does....she was like an institution, a permanent part of our shared reality. I think someone said she'd been on the scene 61 years. Just incredible. She's really part of our national family because of that longevity.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    Can someone explain to me why someone is wanting to picket her funeral. I may have asked this before somewhere else but I can't remember. Seems odd. Is it something to do with the fact she was an AIDS activists?
    The Westboro Church is anti-gay, anti-military. They picket various funerals throughout the US. Fortunately, there are 44 states with laws that keep them at a secure distance away from the funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post

Go figure.
    You're absolutely right, this isn't just about younger people, but people in their 30's and 40's. I also know a few people in the business and they didn't know anything she'd been in either. Just unreal. These are people in their mid to late 30's. I always realized they didn't know performers from anything farther back than 3-4 yrs, but I was flabbergasted that they knew practically nothing of Elizabeth Taylor. It's one thing for non-industry people to (perhaps) not be able to name at least a few of her films, but for someone IN the business, that's just insane. I said, "People like Elizabeth Taylor BUILT the business you're in!" and they just laugh it off or insinuate that Taylor is for "old timers" and it's of no relevance to them. The fact is, the industry is crumbling from within. Thank God there are people like you, like Lisa Burks and others who work to keep the legacy alive. Otherwise, all these fabulous performers will be utterly forgotten. What a tragedy that is and will be.

BabaBooey Guest
    out of wondering, why haven't the church people been arrested, isn't that consider harrasment/stocking, or do they get to slide due to the first amendment?
    The United States Supreme Court recently ruled that it is their First Amendment Right to protest at funerals. But, there is now a group of anti-Westboro protestors that make angel costumes with enormous wings and stand in front of them to block them and their signs.

I'm so glad her children were with her when she died. My brother had congestive heart failure and died suddenly from a massive heart attack while making his wife's birthday cake. No chance to say goodbye...
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

She wouldn't bonk anyone unless she was married to them. Last few years may have been a bit dry then.

Total stunner as a kid and great actress. I wish she could have got more meatier roles mid-career rather than the crap the studio offered her. Still, Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf was a tour-de-force.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Jacksmum Guest
    She's being buried today. That was fast. I suppose everything was arranged and ready to go though.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/24/elizab...academy-award/

BabaBooey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    She's being buried today. That was fast. I suppose everything was arranged and ready to go though.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/24/elizab...academy-award/
    She converted to Judaism in the late 50's. They like to bury their dead within 24 hours of the death, if possible. I wonder if that's why it is happening today.

Regarding those Westboro assholes:

I hope there's a special place in HELL for ALL of them because they have been proven to be nothing but a CULT!!!!

R.I.P, Dame Elizabeth....you are missed...
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Oops, see post # 202
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 03-24-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Jacksmum Guest
    The Guardian Angels are on high alert

TIMB1967 Guest
    Those Westboro fucks are amazing. It certainly gives Christianity a bad name.

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaBooey View Post
    The United States Supreme Court recently ruled that it is their First Amendment Right to protest at funerals. But, there is now a group of anti-Westboro protestors that make angel costumes with enormous wings and stand in front of them to block them and their signs.

sweet

rjbrasher Guest
    boy those westboro peeps sounds like a big bunch of crazy assholes!

boy those westboro peeps sounds like a big bunch of crazy assholes!
    I can't stand them!! My son told me that at one funeral where they were protesting, someone set up a donation area across from them. The donations were for an Aids charity.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle8461 View Post
    I can't stand them!! My son told me that at one funeral where they were protesting, someone set up a donation area across from them. The donations were for an Aids charity.
    thats awesome hahahah!

wil elizabeth send flowers is the question?

rip dear lady, you were the mama of them all.

we're losing our hollywood royalty
    pull the string!

radiojane Guest
    Interesting that she didn't go next to Ma and Pa... wonder why the change. I doubt it was Michael Jackson that was the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Interesting that she didn't go next to Ma and Pa... wonder why the change. I doubt it was Michael Jackson that was the reason.
    I think she was true to her word at his funeral and realizing that Forest Lawn is such a beautiful place, she probably felt Westwood wasn't big enough, which in my opinion it really isn't for someone of her star magnitude. . I'm sorry she'll now be locked away from the fans but I sort of felt she would choose Forest Lawn. I really feel it's a combination of factors that led her there, not the least of which is MJ. Maybe it also greatly appealed to her to be in a private area away from the public, she'd been so invaded by the public for so long, maybe she just decided that her family members would be accorded a private way to be with her, her kids and the people she cared about in life. At Westwood, it would have been a lot of tourists, gawkers, etc. so her own family would have had a really difficult time being alone and just private with her. The logistics of it almost dictated that she go to Forest Lawn and when MJ passed away, I think that sealed the deal for her in her mind. That's my take on it. I totally respect her for that and even though we have bashed Forest Lawn a lot here on the forum for their overly strict privacy rules, if I had a loved one or was putting them first instead of "the fans", I'd pick FL also....maybe in the future these locked down areas will open up again...in 50 yrs or so lol...god bless her

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforhollywood View Post
    I think she was true to her word at his funeral and realizing that Forest Lawn is such a beautiful place, she probably felt Westwood wasn't big enough, which in my opinion it really isn't for someone of her star magnitude. . I'm sorry she'll now be locked away from the fans but I sort of felt she would choose Forest Lawn. I really feel it's a combination of factors that led her there, not the least of which is MJ. Maybe it also greatly appealed to her to be in a private area away from the public, she'd been so invaded by the public for so long, maybe she just decided that her family members would be accorded a private way to be with her, her kids and the people she cared about in life. At Westwood, it would have been a lot of tourists, gawkers, etc. so her own family would have had a really difficult time being alone and just private with her. The logistics of it almost dictated that she go to Forest Lawn and when MJ passed away, I think that sealed the deal for her in her mind. That's my take on it. I totally respect her for that and even though we have bashed Forest Lawn a lot here on the forum for their overly strict privacy rules, if I had a loved one or was putting them first instead of "the fans", I'd pick FL also....maybe in the future these locked down areas will open up again...in 50 yrs or so lol...god bless her
    That certainly makes sense. It would preserve her privacy, and it would make sure her parent's graves weren't disturbed either.

It does suck that so many of these graves are off limits, but I also get violently angry when I see graves mistreated and people behaving like apes in cemeteries. I certainly respect anyone's wish to rest in peace. And as someone who's buried a parent, I certainly appreciate being able to "visit" my dad in private.

BabaBooey Guest
    If anyone is interested, TMZ has live video on their website. They are waiting just outside the gates for the funeral attendess to arrive.

I am at the TMZ website but nothing live going on there.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

BabaBooey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I am at the TMZ website but nothing live going on there.
    Several black stretch limos arrived about 10 minutes ago. I'm sure they are sticking around waiting for the service to end and watch the limos leave.

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    Wow thats quick for a funeral! (I think ) Will keep an eye on the vid stream

Elizabeth Guest
    As often as Elizabeth mentioned being buried next to Richard (and of course, next to Mike Todd before her marriage to Burton), I am kind of surprised that FL is where she is ending up (although it does make sense, given her immense popularity and the disruption her burial could cause elsewhere than FL) .....although Richard is buried in Wales, I believe, and his widow may have some say in it

I am sure "someone" will take pictures of her crypt in due time, so I will just keep checking find a grave.....

Giada Guest
    Westboro Church could not gain access. Unfortunate most of the attention they receive is in the media, not for attending/picketing various funerals.

Remember the Westboro "Church" people are
    big time AW (Attention Whore's)

Lets ignore them and they might go away.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

qulevergrrl Guest
    To all of you who have never seen any films of Elizabeth Taylor's: I would suggest "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf", "A Place in the Sun", and one of my all time favorites, "Suddenly, Last Summer." If you don't have anything kind to say about her art, stay away for awhile. There are people here genuinely mourning her as a true artist who was beautiful and amazing. Oops, I forgot "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", but those are just the ones that really get me going. She really was quite something.

As far as that other issue goes, well, I'd like to leave that for another thread as well. You know, I'm not going to let their vile ways soil my post about Elizabeth...she hated to be called "Liz".

lmphillips2000 Guest
    Where did you hear that? Here is a link the the funeral that happened at Forest Lawn in in Los Angeles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_840328.html