Thread: Laura Nyro

susalu Guest

Laura Nyro

Laura Nyro (born Laura Nigro) (October 18, 1947April 8, 1997) was an American composer, lyricist, singer and pianist. Her style was a distinctive hybrid of Brill Building-style New York pop, mixed with elements of jazz, gospel, rhythm and blues, show tunes and rock.

She was best known, and had the most commercial success, as a composer and lyricist rather than as a performer. Between 1968 and 1970 a number of other singers had significant hits with her songs: the Fifth Dimension with "Blowing Away", "Wedding Bell Blues", "Stoned Soul Picnic", "Sweet Blindness", "Save The Country" and "Black Patch"; Blood, Sweat & Tears with "And When I Die"; Three Dog Night with "Eli's Coming"; and Barbra Streisand with "Stoney End". Ironically, Nyro's own best-selling single was her recording of Carole King and Gerry Goffin's "Up on the Roof."

She died of ovarian cancer at the same age as her mother died of ovarian cancer...

A huge loss to the music world.....
    Last edited by susalu; 11-24-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Jazbabee Guest
    Wow, Mother & Daughter - that is tragic indeed !!

endsleigh03 Guest
    yes that IS awful.

SueWahoo Guest
    She did precious little live video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjdowef1oKE

i had the opportunity to see Laura back in 1988 at the Red Creek Inn in Rochester,NY
    awesome performance!!!

Kathyf Guest
    Terrible both died of the same thing. I really never heard of her. thanks for the Youtube clip.

Noelle Page Guest
    She wrote some of the greatest songs of the 60s and 70s. But kind of a private, mysterious person. Why did the Fifth Dimenson do so many of her songs?
    She famously "bombed" at the Monterey Pop Festival, though I'm not sure why.

cachluv Guest

You know, I've read that she didn't really bomb; she felt she had done poorly, or misinterpreted the crowd's reaction, and didn't perform much publicly after that. But she really did just fine at Monterey.

I have a couple of her albums, and it's neat to hear her sing "Stoney End," "When I'm Gone" and "Wedding Bell Blues." Beautiful voice, man.

I loved her and was saddened by her death. Her music was wonderful and she like hid in the background.

Im having a very difficult time finding her cds.

Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    Im having a very difficult time finding her cds.
    Try Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/homepage.ht...124465-1532836

SueWahoo Guest
    Another retail site that I use for CDs is CDUniverse. They have excellent service but they do charge for shipping. Also, they're in CT so they charge tax if you're in CT.

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as...&altsearch=yes

Thanks!!

dakotablue Guest
    just simply one of the best singer/songwriter/pianists ever, a legend who sadly is unknown to many. I wore out the grooves of "Christmas and the Beads of Sweat" (yes, dating myself--it was vinyl), she had such power and delicacy, too. What a voice. The lyrics to "The Confession" are amazing, really they all are. I miss her. I think one of the last recordings she did was a live concert, double album, she speaks between some songs and talks about sharing the warm summer night. Such a loss.

"Super summer sugar croppin'
    In the mornin',
    Do your shoppin' baby
    Love my love thing.

You may disappear
    But you'll be back I swear...

You may leave the fair
    But you'll be back I swear....

Oh I hate my winsome lover
    Tell him I've had others
    At my breast
    But tell him he held my heart
    And only now am I a virgin
    I confess...

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive heard of her, but never knew anything she ever did. This helps.

Long Gone Day Guest
    She is a goddess, IMO. I love her. I never looked for a thread for her but I do post her music in currently listening.....I felt so sad when I heard she passed....Oh, she deserves so much and I was so sad there isn't that much out there on youtube...Great song writer and I love her covers of the 50's

Laura Nyro - "It's Gonna Take A Miracle"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMi8KrK0QbI

You can't find her singing "Desiree" on youtube but it's on that album. And if you've ever seen the movies, "Home At The End Of The World", both are in that film and soundtrack.

pattykad Guest
    She had a daughter right? I wonder if she is also musical. I think I will pull
    out her cd's tomorrow....it's been awhile since I listened.

dakotablue Guest
    here's a link to a book about her, "Soul Picnic"--looks like a good bit can be read on-line

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&start=10&sa=N

sorry--this just takes you to the Google page and then you can get to the book--

Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    She had a daughter right? I wonder if she is also musical. I think I will pull
    out her cd's tomorrow....it's been awhile since I listened.

No, I read that she gave birth to one son. I have always loved her songwriting and singing.

dakotablue Guest
    Just heard Laura's up for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame--for at least the second time. Hope she makes it! (Can't understand why she didn't the first time, actually)

I must admit was not sure who she was until heard that
    she was inducted to the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

So now hearing her music style is very nice.
    Guess people should always try and keep an
    open mind.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

deanfan Guest
    Her son is Gil Bianchini & is trying to make a name for himself in rap music. She wrote so many hits covered by others. She should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She deserves more credit, and should've gotten it before she died.

Eli's Coming.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfW41eKUkKE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nyro.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	30973  

It was only last year that I played the Anthology CD of Laura's music and it only made me the more sadder realizing just what a great talent was lost. "Blackpatch" is a favorite......she was great.....wish there could have been more.....

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Laura Nyro also wrote a couple songs for Leslie Gore. "I Just Don't Know If I Can" has always been a favorite of mine.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I had the pleasure of seeing her perform live many years ago at Woosley Hall at the Yale Campus She came on stage all dressed in black said not a word ,slightly bowed her head to the audience sat down at her piano and sang her magnificent poetry in that sultry smooth voice
    A great musical talent taken way too young by that monster cancer
    l

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I had the pleasure of seeing her perform live many years ago at Woosley Hall at the Yale Campus She came on stage all dressed in black said not a word ,slightly bowed her head to the audience sat down at her piano and sang her magnificent poetry in that sultry smooth voice
    A great musical talent taken way too young by that monster cancer
    l

What an honor to have seen her live.

Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    What an honor to have seen her live.
    It was Pepper I had no idea what I was going to be in for. She barely spoke during the entire concert. She let her talent do the talking

+++++RIP+++++
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freaking great singer. Just started getting into her music. I'm a devout Christian. But, somehow I can really relate to her songs "Stoney End" and "When I Die" sometimes. I'm actually listening to "Stoned Soul Picnic" right now. But, I hate "Wedding Bell Blues" because my asshole stepdad is named Bill. I wish he never married my mom.

But, Laura was great...absolutely. Died way too young too.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

This song just describes everything perfectly for me right now. Love ya Laura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CoN9PyoU80

Go to the link. The video posting thing won't work for me right now.

"Broken Rainbow", "Triple Goddess Twilight" and "Gardenia Talk" are 3 favorites. No one wrote and sang haunting melodies that get under your skin like she could.

MoonRabbit Guest
    This is my favorite! She was pretty and very talented!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRhAt...eature=related

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Freaking great singer. Just started getting into her music. I'm a devout Christian. But, somehow I can really relate to her songs "Stoney End" and "When I Die" sometimes. I'm actually listening to "Stoned Soul Picnic" right now. But, I hate "Wedding Bell Blues" because my asshole stepdad is named Bill. I wish he never married my mom.

But, Laura was great...absolutely. Died way too young too.
    I really like "When I Die", especially the Blood Sweat and Tears version.

I always heard this as being in the tradition of the old gospel blues, especially the bridge:

"Don't want to go by the demon,
    Don't want to go by the devil,
    Don't want to go by Satan,
    Don't want to die uneasy,
    Just let me go naturally!"

Compare this to say Blind Willie Johnson's "Nobody's Fault But Mine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRub...eature=related

"I got a Bible in my home.
    I got a Bible in my home,
    If I don't read it and my soul be lost,
    Ain't nobody's fault but mine"

Or look up anything on YouTube by Rev. Gary Davis like "Death Don't Have No Mercy", "Twelve Gates to the City" or "If I Had My Way" and see if you don't think the same.

Or here is the same sort of vibe from Robert Plant and the Band of Joy:
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 09-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.

"And When I Die" is great. Those verses are my favorite of the song.