Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst ... 567891656 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation

I have a question - I really love to listen to the chatter between pilots and ATC. I have an app for it on my Itouch. And when I fly, if the plane has a channel that you can listen to in flight, I do. And from reading on this thread, my airplane venacular has improved (slightly- lol). But why do you guys have to talk soo damn fast? Does every transmission start and stop with your call sign? I love how some pilots have a sense of humor, others sound like they are pissed off at the world. Do you have any tips for listening to the chatter?
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

joS3ph Guest
    ATC speaks quickly (as do most pilots) simply to keep the frequency open. Pilots and controllers both know what to expect to hear, so it works well. When something is not understood, a request to repeat always suffices. Take notes of what you hear and soon, you'll recognize at times that ATC is simply issuing clearances over and over and over again. If any of your observations raise questions, just post here and I'll answer your questions.

Aircraft identification is mandatory. If you need clarification of a particular word, check out this online FAA Pilot/Controller Glossary, located here.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.

joS3ph Guest
    FedEx MD-11 simulators located at the FedEx Gucci Building (MEM). This is the only flying I will be doing this week. These simulators are only *slightly* better than Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Last edited by joS3ph; 03-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks, JoS3ph....
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post
    FedEx MD-11 simulators located at the FedEx Gucci Building (MEM). This is the only flying I will be doing this week. These simulators are only *slightly* better than Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Maybe you all should consider another company that makes flight sims?

We went by CAE in Dallas the other day and they have their sims right up front and visible from the road. Not that you can easily nab a flight sim as they have to be transported via large flat bed trucks, but I'm sure it would be a security risk anyhow. I'm just comparing it to FSI's training sims in DFW, in the back of the building, away from public view. They have those sims booked for training 24/7. I feel badly for the ones who get third shift.

Thinking of sim transports, a few weeks ago my husband got another sim out of his hair, just to receive a call a few hours later that it fell off the truck, all over the expressway getting it to the airport. He's not responsible for the loading of sims, but he was happy when that sim left the high bay and was sent out, just to receive a call with someone saying that it was all over the expressway and being sent back.
    Last edited by Aviatrix; 03-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.

BOY WHAT YOU STARTED HERE jOE WITH THIS AMAZING THREAD. A VERY SIMPLE 3 PART QUESTION FOR YOU.
    1- HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU TOOK YOUR FIRST LESSON?
    2- WHAT KIND OF PLANE WAS IT?
    3. WHAT AGE DID YOU SOLO?
    SORRY DIDN'T REALIZE I WAS LOCKED ON CAPS.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    BOY WHAT YOU STARTED HERE jOE WITH THIS AMAZING THREAD. A VERY SIMPLE 3 PART QUESTION FOR YOU.
    1- HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU TOOK YOUR FIRST LESSON?
    2- WHAT KIND OF PLANE WAS IT?
    3. WHAT AGE DID YOU SOLO?
    SORRY DIDN'T REALIZE I WAS LOCKED ON CAPS.
    I started handling the controls of my dad's Piper Warrior III at age 12. I started taking lessons when I was 16 and soloed when I was 17.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Maybe you all should consider another company that makes flight sims?

We went by CAE in Dallas the other day and they have their sims right up front and visible from the road. Not that you can easily nab a flight sim as they have to be transported via large flat bed trucks, but I'm sure it would be a security risk anyhow. I'm just comparing it to FSI's training sims in DFW, in the back of the building, away from public view. They have those sims booked for training 24/7. I feel badly for the ones who get third shift.

Thinking of sim transports, a few weeks ago my husband got another sim out of his hair, just to receive a call a few hours later that it fell off the truck, all over the expressway getting it to the airport. He's not responsible for the loading of sims, but he was happy when that sim left the high bay and was sent out, just to receive a call with someone saying that it was all over the expressway and being sent back.
    They used to be my customer before they changed hands. They were fun to visit when they were built in NY.
    Regards,
    Mary

DonnaMc Guest
    Have you been through the Bermuda Triangle? I guess everything was all right?

OK, this being a death hag MB, I have to ask the obvious: Have you ever knowingly transported a casket to a final city of rest? Or is that left mostly to the commercial guys?

joS3ph Guest
    DonnaMc, I have been throughout most of the area that encompasses the Bermuda Triangle, and we had no problems.

Aviatrix, I apologize for not responding to your message earlier about the EC-135 flight. My Internet service has been acting goofy and for some reason, I can open my private messages but I am unable to reply to them. My ISP is installing a new tower to resolve the problem.

In regards to your question, when I was employed by American Airlines, I have transported human remains (it's rather expensive and the funeral director that plans the shipment generally receives the frequent flier miles....no kidding!). Ironically, I have a relative who owns a funeral home in middle Tennessee. His entire family *lives* at the funeral home and most of them play a part in the planning and execution of services there. Creepy and weird if you ask me...

I forgot to add that American Airlines (AA) has long used the name "Jim Wilson" as a code name for human remains shipments. When funeral directors call AA, they ask for the "Jim Wilson" desk.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 09:43 AM.

OK, this being a death hag MB, I have to ask the obvious: Have you ever knowingly transported a casket to a final city of rest? Or is that left mostly to the commercial guys?
    Federal Express. When you absolutely, positively have to be buried tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    Have you been through the Bermuda Triangle? I guess everything was all right?

I've flown thru the triangle more than once and besides oddball lights, antique warbirds flying closeby, a green cloud enveloping the aircraft, my watch running backwards and our flight landing 3 days late nothing happened.
    The really good thing about flying thru the triangle and the missing time is for some reason my ass keeps on playing salsa music.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.

14. 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Just a little useless fact about a persons "Cremains" (Cremation remains)
    are sent thru the mail and alot of them aren't even picked up by th relatives they're sent to.
    Maybe all those tortured souls are the reason people go postal?
    Do you know what it means when a flag flies at half staff at the post office?
    It means they're hiring.

DonnaMc Guest
    LOL. You're a trip Jersey!!

joS3ph Guest
    Sunset at 41,000 feet

Gorgeous cloud formations and a deep blue sky made for this "dream-like" sunset.

joS3ph Guest
    More for Foto (yes, I know it's photo) Friday...Learjet 35 hung from the ceiling in the Denver International Airport:

joS3ph Guest
    Transponder set to "squawk" 6522. Note the French Vanilla. Everyone has their priorities!

DonnaMc Guest
    I like the Hazelnut!

joS3ph Guest
    Test time (Boooooo!). But anyway:

Who wants to decipher the information presented on these displays? Besides Altitude, ground speed/true air speed, heading, where are we? Level? Climbing?

Test time (Boooooo!). But anyway:

Who wants to decipher the information presented on these displays? Besides Altitude, ground speed/true air speed, heading, where are we? Level? Climbing?

I'll give it a shot. Heading towards Des Moines International airport (KDSM). Aircraft is slightly pitched up. Vertical airspeed = 0 (not climbing or descending).

joS3ph Guest
    To some it just LOOKS complicated!

It's 9:50 PM central (local) time (03:50 UTC), flying at 39,000 feet, heading is 153 degrees (that's south-south east), the plane is just about over the northern state line of Iowa heading towards Des Moines.

As you mentioned, the plane is in a nose up atitiude, because to fly level at 39,000 feet, the plane needs some nose up attitude. Nice work Barbossa!

To some it just LOOKS complicated!

It's 9:50 PM central (local) time (03:50 UTC), flying at 39,000 feet, heading is 153 degrees (that's south-south east), the plane is just about over the northern state line of Iowa heading towards Des Moines.

As you mentioned, the plane is in a nose up atitiude, because to fly level at 39,000 feet, the plane needs some nose up attitude. Nice work Barbossa!
    Thanks joS3ph!

I've been flying Microsoft Flight Sim X lately (inspired by this thread), so I'm somewhat familiar with glass panel instruments. My stick and rudder work still sucks, but I'm working on it.

Which prompts a question for joS3ph: when you need to look out the window i.e. for landings, can you get a feel for the aircraft's vertical airspeed without glancing at the instruments? Or are you constantly scanning your instruments even when you're looking out the window? (This assumes there's no HUD.)

joS3ph Guest
    Yes, you can get a general feel for the aircraft's vertical speed (V/S), but I am constantly verifying V/S all the way to touchdown. The enhanced ground proximity warning system (EGPWS) call-outs (example: 500 [feet]) assist at this time as well.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Hi Joseph,

Love your thread...it is great to know how much knowledge and skill pilots must have to fly these huge jets! Obviously, you are quite talented and I have enormous admiration for that. Although I am not involved in aviation, I have learned a lot from reading all of your posts and replys. Your recent comments regarding Captain Sullenberger were excellent...I recall seeing video of his landing in the Husdon River, and thinking how much experience, knowledge and focus it must have required on his part...WOW!
    I used to be quite fearful of flying, however after being seated in the cabin next to an off duty pilot and hearing him explain to me the various sounds, etc., my fears were considerably lessened. The only white knuckle flight I have ever really experienced was from Houston to Little Rock- the weather was dark, rainy and stormy and caused extreme turbulence. I was so glad when we finally landed safely and was especially grateful, as the same flight a day or two later, flying through the same weather, skidded off the runway while landing at the same airport. Thanks again for your outstanding knowledge and fantastic informative thread...I look forward to reading more!

Have a great week,

Cyn
    Last edited by Cynful; 03-12-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Darn! I just didn't get to this in time! Maybe next time if it's not today. But don't let that stop you from posting more "puzzles" for lack of better term.

BTW, I kind of figured out why the sims you train in are slightly better than Microsoft Flight Sim X - those training sims have full-motion. I'd love to do that - bounce around in some GOOD turbulence knowing I'm on the ground and the worst thing that can happen is that I get red screened. Incidently, I'd love go full-motion in the sims, but since I'm not an employee, insurance issues come into play.

joS3ph Guest
    Cdolen, I am glad that you enjoy this thread. As you mentioned, recognizing specific sounds and feelings goes a long way in easing the fear of flying. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you Joseph- I really appreciate your great aviation knowledge and expertise.
    I do have a few questions whenever you might have a moment to answer. Would it be correct that what Captain Sullenberger performed was not a water landing but a water ditching of the aircraft? Why was it important for him to have the rear part of the aircraft touch the water first? Was this more stabilizing? Exactly what would his First Officer, Jeff Skiles, been doing throughout this emergency to assist? Would love to hear about personal experiences you have had with having to perform emergency manuevers and/or ditching an aircraft under various circumstances. As I said, you are obviously quite a talented pilot- I have great admiration and respect for your vast knowledge, and thank you for sharing it with all of us on this forum.

joS3ph Guest
    Sometimes, one will do *anything* to pass time:

Sometimes, one will do *anything* to pass time:
    I like the "WINDOW NOT CLOSED" sign.

joS3ph Guest
    As we all know, a window popping open is NOT a reason to reject the takeoff! There will be lots of noise of course, but it can be successful closed once in the air. Always fly the plane first!

joS3ph Guest
    Cdolen, the first officer would have been doing whatever the captain requested, i.e., keep gear up, etc., unless he had the foresight to start the APU at the first hint of engine trouble. The reason he made the water ditching tail first is because the engines sit lower than other structures (with the landing gear up) and if the engines are allowed to hit the water first, it may cause the airplane to cartwheel out of control and breakup. Otherwise, the wing dihedral (they are angled up) means that it is possible for most commercial planes to hit the water fuselage first (and nose high).

I have had a few emergencies, but nothing like a water ditching (thank goodness!): failed hydraulic system, landing gear problems, compressor stalls/engine flame out, bad windshear which resulted in instrument failures and a return to the airport after declaring an emergency.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Love the pic!!!
    Just kind of a dumb question, what is your favorite airport in the world?
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by duchessmary View Post
    Love the pic!!!
    Just kind of a dumb question, what is your favorite airport in the world?
    And your least favorite.

joS3ph Guest
    Two come to mind for each category:

Best:

O'Hare International, Chicago, IL (ORD): Best Air Traffic Controllers in the world. O'Hare controllers are the industry pinnacle of versatility, clarity, and error-free procedural skills.

Denver International, CO (DEN): Tons of maneuvering room on the ground. Laid out in perhaps the most ideal configuration possible. Facilities are clean and new. Long runways.

Worst:

John Wayne/Orange County Airport, Santa Ana, CA (SNA): High-performance, low-tolerance special noise abatement procedures. Tight ramp area. Non-standard operations. Frequent "slam-dunk" approaches that would be impossible if not for pilot judgment. Short runway, shared with General Aviation.

LaGuardia, NY (LGA): Small, congested airport with crossing runways that often end abruptly at water. Stressed controllers. Constant delays.

joS3ph Guest
    In all fairness, SFO should be included in the "worst" list:

San Francisco International, CA (SFO): Limited runway configurations (especially with strong southerly winds) lead to low arrival capacity. Non-standard runway spacing also contributes to delays during IFR. Close terrain proximity off departure end of runway 28L/R. No glideslope (visual or electronic) on runways 1L/R due to terrain. Converging FMS visual approaches to 28L/R cause potential traffic conflicts or TAs/RAs. Crossing runways.

Just got another Job. It's no FedEx (though we do FedEx contract work) But it's multi/turbine time.

My new ride
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

O'Hare International, Chicago, IL (ORD): Best Air Traffic Controllers in the world. O'Hare controllers are the industry pinnacle of versatility, clarity, and error-free procedural skills.
    Would your opinion of O'Hare be different if you flew passenger aircraft? I remember my flights having to park between runways waiting for an open gate. It's probably not as bad for cargo flights, especially at night.

What do you think of SAN (San Diego Lindbergh Field)?

joS3ph Guest
    Wow Lardass! Congratulations! You're moving on up in the world. How much turboprop/turbine time do you have now?

Barbossa, San Diego is perhaps one of the most interestingly-situated airports in the USA. At what other airport do you see mountainous desert, lush vegetation, vast suburbia, a dense downtown full of tall buildings, marinas full of sailboats, an ocean, and a picturesque bay, all in the space of one minute, while on final? Fun to fly into.

In regards to O'Hare, I'm sure my outlook would be quite different if I flew passenger aircraft. Back when I was flying for American, it wasn't bad at all to fly into, or depart from O'Hare. I'm sure times have changed since.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Wow Lardass! Congratulations! You're moving on up in the world. How much turboprop/turbine time do you have now?
    0/0, ground school starts on the 21st.
    of apathy releases me

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lardass View Post
    0/0, ground school starts on the 21st.
    You'll have a great time. Is that one of the former Convair 340s (Convair 5800) that received propjets? Allison 501-D22G, Series III? Nice airframe/power plant combo.

Maybe we will run into each other soon. Not literally of course!
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Barbossa, San Diego is perhaps one of the most interestingly-situated airports in the USA. At what other airport do you see mountainous desert, lush vegetation, vast suburbia, a Naval yard (closed 1994?), a dense downtown full of tall buildings, marinas full of sailboats, an ocean, a picturesque bay, and a parking garage close underneath your wheels, all in the space of one minute, while on final? Fun to fly into.
    I believe the Naval facility you're referring to is the old Naval Training Center (NTC). A huge part of my childhood. For several years my dad (22 year retired Navy) was a Battalion Commander in charge of recruit training at NTC. He also did his boot camp there in the 50's. It's now called "Liberty Station", our perennially bush league city government handed most of the base over to developers. So instead of a fitting memorial to 70 years of training the nation's finest, it's a conglomerate of shops and private residences.

They did, however, throw the vets a bone and preserved the Commandant's headquarters. We bought my dad and FIL (both USN retired) commemorative bricks which are laid in front of the headquarters:

I'm surprised you didn't mention SAN. I find it hair raising on approach and I'm a passenger!!!

Hi Joseph,

What circumstances warrant or are mandated that the captain only is in control of and flying the aircraft? If the first officer is at the controls and the captain needs or wants to take over for any reason, is there a universal command that he/she would call out in the cockpit? Thanks in advance- your thread is fascinating and extremely informative!

joS3ph Guest
    Normally, we agree before each leg who will be the “pilot flying” (PF). The non-flying pilot is referred to as the "pilot not flying" (PNF). When becoming the PNF, I might say “you have control.” The first officer then takes the controls and he/she says “I have control” to confirm the change. Then, and only then, will I release the controls to the first officer. This exchange ensures that both pilots know who is flying the plane at any given instant.

Since the captain is the legal pilot in command (PIC), I can also take the controls and say “I have control,” and then the first officer will release the controls and confirm “you have control.” Again, this verbal exchange makes it clear who is supposed to be flying at any given moment. The actual words used can vary from one airline to another and from one pilot to another. Some pilots prefer “my airplane” and “your airplane,” for example.

Both pilots in an airplane are fully qualified to fly it, although the captain is the legal pilot in command and gets to decide who actually flies it. In most cases, the captain and first officer shift responsibility back and forth periodically, with one pilot flying one leg of the flight, and the other flying another leg, and so on.

At FedEx, first officers cannot land in CAT II/III conditions, unless they are certified. They can land in CAT I, but are limited to two-thirds of the aircraft's wind limitations.

Categories I/II/II:

Cat.I - 200 feet DH - 2,400 feet (or 1,800 feet) RVR
    Metric: 800 meters of 550 meters RVR...

Cat II Restricted - 150 feet DH - 1,600 feet RVR
    Metric: 500 meters RVR

Cat II - 100 feet DH - 1,200 feet RVR
    Metric: 350 meters RVR

Cat.IIIa - 700 feet RVR - no DH (alert height generally 50 feet)
    Metric: 250 meters RVR

Cat.IIIb - 600 feet RVR - no DH (alert height generally 35 feet)
    Metric: 175 metres RVR

Cat.IIIc - zero ceiling, zero visibility - "blind" landing...

RVR is Runway Visual Range, basically a distance in feet that the pilot can expect to see forward in his airplane.

The instrument landing system (ILS) equipment at the airport must be certified for these operations, as well as aircraft type (actually, individual aircraft) and the crew has to be certified.

Alert Height (AH) is not like a Decision Height (DH) - At "DH" (obtained from radio altimeter for Cat.II) you have to make a DECISION to land or go-around...

In Cat.III operations, there is no DH...but you have to make a decision to land based on "what you see"... pilots find the DH "decision" very convenient for Cat.II, but did not exist for Cat.III...

So in "practical operations", the AH is used somewhat like a DH, but is not regulatory. In other terms, we expect to "see the runway" at that point... which is about 50 feet radio altimeter, just about where the runway threshold is located, in Cat.IIIa minimums. In Cat.IIIb, it happens at about 35 feet...

Last edited by joS3ph; 03-11-2011 at 07:28 PM.

DonnaMc Guest
    What's the longest you can fly in 24 hours?

As we all know, a window popping open is NOT a reason to reject the takeoff! There will be lots of noise of course, but it can be successful closed once in the air. Always fly the plane first!
    I've had a door pop open on me on climb out. It was kind of funny, my CFI was a really big guy and sometimes I'd feel squished during flights. But after I did the TO, my CFI said, "Umm.. your door is open." I just responded, "Oh! So that's the reason why we had a little more room up here." I just closed the door and continued on the flight.

That's sort of funny, I was going to ask you if you've ever had to declare an emergency, or what was the closest you came to an emergency situation, but someone else beat me to it. Been super busy today!

joS3ph Guest
    Current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations for domestic flights generally limit pilots to eight hours of flight time during a 24-hour period. This limit may be extended provided the pilot receives additional rest at the end of the flight. However, a pilot is not allowed to accept, nor is an airline allowed to assign, a flight if the pilot has not had at least eight continuous hours of rest during the 24-hour period. In other words, the pilot needs to be able to look back in any preceding 24-hour period and find that he/she has had an opportunity for at least eight hours of rest. If a pilot’s actual rest is less than nine hours in the 24-hour period, the next rest period must be lengthened to provide for the appropriate compensatory rest.

Flight time and rest rules for U.S. air carrier international flights are different from the rules for domestic flights. International flights can involve more than the standard two-pilot crew and are more complex due to the scope of the operations. For international flights that require more than 12 hours of flight time, air carriers must establish rest periods and provide adequate sleeping facilities outside of the cockpit for in-flight rest.

I've had a door pop open on me on climb out. It was kind of funny, my CFI was a really big guy and sometimes I'd feel squished during flights. But after I did the TO, my CFI said, "Umm.. your door is open." I just responded, "Oh! So that's the reason why we had a little more room up here." I just closed the door and continued on the flight.
    When the Cirrus first came out it had issues with the door latch popping open. I can't count how many times I've had it pop open on takeoff.
    of apathy releases me

As a passenger, I hate O'Hare. We returned from Paris to O'Hare in early April. It was hotter than *&@#!!!!! Of course, we were dressed for rainy and cold Paris, and when we got to the AA desk, we were told our crew had not yet arrived. So we waited around for another hour.

I was wondering, is it mandatory that ATC around the globe is required to speak fluent English?