Page 10 of 85 FirstFirst ... 891011121959 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation

How's the market for pilots at this time, JoS3ph?

I believe that Joseph's paycheck is pay back for the many hours. therefore money it took him (and any other pilot) to get to the point where his is sort of evens it out.

For example, when I was learning to fly a single engine Cessna 150 (the training workhorse for starting out), it was $90 an hour in the city, and $70/hour outside of the city. The rate goes up for larger planes such as the 4 seater C-172, and I don't have the rates for that. If one is training in a multi-engine aircraft, my CFI told me that it came out to be a .05/second. And as Joe says, you need 1000 hours to become rated to fly multi-engine. It just keeps going up from there to become an airline transport pilot (ATP). Plus, you need to be IFR rated on each aircraft, which means more time and money.

That's one big advantage of joining the military. If you qualify for flying, they will greatly help you out money-wise. IMHO, the military guys are the better pilots. If you fly a regional jet, chances are pretty good that you're going to get REALLY young guys who are working their way up to flying larger aircraft in the company.

Sometimes it's a truly scary thought, as guys that young aren't quite out of their immortal phase. Case in point: when I was training, I had a VERY young CFI - like ~21 years old. He was a really nice guy, but he'd do some crazy things. One on of my very first flights, I was learning how to taxi using the rudders, and I did horrible. I ran the C-150 of the taxiway into the mud. My CFI gets out, and with the prop spinning, he pushes the leading edge of the wing to get it back onto the taxiway. When he got in, I just about screamed, "I can not believe you did that." There were other incidents, but the one that made me change CFI was really sort of dangerous. It was a typical August and the temp was 104F. Single engine planes don't have a/c, so it was hot and miserable. I won't go into everything, but when we were doing our runup, we had a BAD mag drop. He asked me, "Should we take off (with that mag drop)?" I thought he was asking as teacher to student. I said, "No, that was a pretty good drop. We should take it in and exchange planes" (this particular aircraft had A LOT of maintenance issues). I just about died (almost literally) when he said, "Well, we'll try it and if we have problems we'll terminate." I said to him, "Oh, please, please don't get us on the 6:00PM news!!!" We took off, and we had problems ascending (mag drop combined with the heat). ATC even called and said we were too low. He says the same thing he said to me, "We'll terminate if it continues." I was really upset as he insinuated that it was MY fault. It came to the point that I was ready to say "Eric, it's your airplane (protocol for changing pilots). Let's go back to RVS."

Later on, I told my dad that we had a 300 mag drop and he insisted that we take off anyway. My dad (a pilot himself) was upset. After an accumulation of problems on the behavior of my CFI (another example: he wanted to talk to me about his personal life WHILE FLYING with a student), he immediately insisted that I change CFI's. I went out of the city and met my new CFI, a great former military guy who was 60 years old with 10,000 hours flying experience. He told me that my former CFI installed a lot of habits that although not dangerous, they weren't necessary. I had a great time with this guy until I had to quit due to family matters (a difficult pregnancy and needing to save financial resources will do that. ) As I said, this CFI was more cautious with the exception that he had a little habit of smoking on the flight line while I was fueling... made me a little nervous.

I didn't mean to write a novel here, but I do hope to get back to flying soon. I'm currently in the process of getting my business restarted (non-aviation) and resources are a little short.

I guess I posted this as an example that although the paychecks are the larger planes is excellent, pilots go through A LOT to achieve their positions. I wanted to start flying at a (for-profit) school (a lot of extra expense) and they told me it would take 7 years of flight time starting at $90/hour to even start flying turboprops commercially.

All this to say, the paycheck is pay back for what the pilots put out financially to attain their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post
    General Electric CF6 gas turbine power. Anyone know why the spinner has the swirl?

Let me just take a guess because I'm not sure of myself on this one. I always thought that the swirl was there so that the ground crews could see that the engine was still in motion while the pilots are shutting the engines down.

I could be very wrong though.

Double post, sorry. Distracted by my three-year-old.
    Last edited by Aviatrix; 03-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.

General Electric CF6 gas turbine power. Anyone know why the spinner has the swirl?
    I seem to remember that it's to scare birds away.

joS3ph Guest
    Hydraulic failure checklist...complete!

People often ask me about airborne emergencies. Shortly after departing Memphis one afternoon (we were approximately 20 miles north/northwest of Memphis), we suffered a complete failure of the number three hydraulic system. Note the main landing gear hanging oddly forward due to lack of bogey trim and subsequent manual extension of the landing gear. Also note the main landing gear doors (after landing gear extension, these doors SHOULD have retracted flush with the fuselage).

Interestingly, we had two jump seat passengers (non-flight personnel) on this flight who were about to LOSE THEIR MINDS! After some consoling, they calmed down some for the return trip to Memphis. We declared an emergency, jettisoned (dumped) fuel (to prevent an overweight landing) and returned to Memphis. We landed successfully without incident.

The first two photographs (black & white) were taken by a local newspaper photographer.

Smoky touchdown on runway 36!

FedEx mechanics quickly locate the source of the number three hydraulic failure (isn't it obvious? lol): A blown hydraulic line.

For those that don't already know, this is a FedEx MD-10-10F.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.

joS3ph Guest
    The purpose of "swirl" pattern is to provide ground personnel with a visual cue that the engine is actually turning. This simple warning is an important safety feature that can often prevent tragic accidents when personnel are working near rotating engines. This precaution dates back to at least the 1930s when spirals appeared on the spinners of many propeller-driven aircraft. Otherwise, a propeller rotating at high revolutions per minute can become nearly invisible and very difficult to see to an observer on the ground. For example, think of the spinning blades of an electric fan or ceiling fan. As the speed of rotation increases, the blades become increasingly difficult to see. While one might imagine that the noise and airflow of a spinning engine ought to be enough to indicate that the engine is operating, bear in mind that airfields are also typically noisy and busy places to begin with. It might not always be obvious whether the loud engine a mechanic hears is the one he's walking towards or one on another of the dozen planes that might be along the same flight line. Any personnel who mistakenly walked into the spinning propeller blades would be gruesomely injured or most likely fatally injured, so it probably did not take many such accidents like these to encourage the introduction of a visual warning.

Throughout the years, I have heard many people in the aviation industry suggest (adamantly, I might add) that the "swirl" on the spinner supposedly scare birds. I have also been told the visual cue (from a "windmilling" fan) also prevents birds from nesting in the engine nacelles.

Last edited by joS3ph; 03-16-2011 at 12:02 PM.

joS3ph Guest
    For those that want to know, on the MD-10/-11, the following systems/subsystems get their power from the number three hydraulic system:

* horizontal stabilizer
    * aileron actuators (all four)
    * right spoiler drive actuator
    * left and right wing number three spoiler actuators
    * slats
    * system three enhancement shutoff valve
    * 3-2 non-reversible motor pump
    * left and right inboard elevator actuators
    * main landing gear bogey trim cylinders
    * nose wheel steering system
    * landing gear retraction/extension system
    * landing gear wheel brake system
    * landing gear brake anti-skid system
    * number three thrust reverser (on airplanes equipped with Pratt & Whitney engines)

I found this newspaper clipping at my Mom's house today. I went to Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, and every year we had what we called "space week". All of our classes for the entire week focused on space, space travel, the solar system, ect. When I was in 5th grade we got to take a field trip to the airport and learn about the planes (and we got to go for a ride to!) as part of space week, and it made the newspaper

I'm the short one on the end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPAP.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	30246  
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    I found this newspaper clipping at my Mom's house today. I went to Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, and every year we had what we called "space week". All of our classes for the entire week focused on space, space travel, the solar system, ect. When I was in 5th grade we got to take a field trip to the airport and learn about the planes (and we got to go for a ride to!) as part of space week, and it made the newspaper

I'm the short one on the end
    That is a fantastic story SassyMoney! Wonderful image too. I'm sure it brings back lots of memories for you! As for me, my dad flew the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II (USAF), and when he was in Vietnam, he would send pictures, videos, and recordings (reel-to-reel no less!) home to us.

USAF McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

Since my dad was a pilot, it sparked my own interest in airplanes and aviation. In 1978, my dad purchased a Piper Warrior II (he purchased a Piper Warrior III when I started high school), and I was taking the controls of his airplane when I was 12. I have always been partial to airplanes with low-mounted wings (I'm sure my early experiences had some influence in my preference). Ironically, my dad flew the F-4 Phantom II (two-seat) for the USAF, and I would later fly the Grumman F-14 Tomcat (two-seat) for the USN.

1978 Piper Warrior II

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story SassyMonkey. If anyone else here has an aviation story you would like to share, I urge you to do so.

joS3ph Guest
    FedEx MD-11F taking off from runway 25 at TOL enroute ANC (incidentally, I'll be flying to ANC after midnight):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xadfl...eature=related
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Love the Phanton shot Joe. I fell in love with tha aircraft at the age of 5 when my dad set me in the cockpit of one at the "Open House" thingy they had on his carrier. It was the U.S.S. Rosevelt. CVB-42, not the new one.

I didn't know that the USAF flew the F-4 except for ECM missions (i.e. Wild Weasel). Did they use it for fighter and/or attack missions?
    Last edited by Barbossa; 03-17-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Hey Joseph: were you flying F-14s when the movie Top Gun came out? If so, I bet there was a significant boost to your social life!

There was a technician at my workplace when Top Gun came out. He was so inspired by the movie that he quit and joined the Navy to become a fighter pilot. He didn't make pilot but did become a RIO (Radar Intercept Officer).

joS3ph Guest
    The USAF introduced the F-4C Phantom II during the Vietnam War in April 1965. They served in an air-to-air role and were subsequently known as "MiG killers." To answer your question in regards to "Top Gun," I was in the Navy when it came out.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.

joS3ph Guest
    My home base is KMEM. Here is a video of a FedEx MD-11 making a parallel departure with a FedEx MD-10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVRV...eature=related
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.

What's the expected lifespan of an airliner? I would guess that some of the active DC-10s are pushing 35-40 years old.

joS3ph Guest
    The "lifespan" of an airliner is not really measured in time, but pressurization cycles. Each time the aircraft is pressurized during flight, it's fuselage is subjected to stress. The "service life of 20 years" is as generalization that figures 51,000 flight hours and 75,000 pressurization cycles for most aircraft. If an aircraft is used on long haul routes, it experiences relatively few pressurization cycles in it's "life" and it will last far beyond 20 years.

joS3ph Guest
    Now matter how many times a Navy pilot makes a catapult launch during his/her career, the stress of such launches *never* diminishes. The same applies to carrier arrested landings.

I was assigned to VFA-103/CVW-7, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU_0e...eature=related

Catapult launch from the cockpit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgchJ...eature=related

Carrier landing (including a "bolter"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvM4sEsMq4

In naval aviation, a "bolter" is when an aircraft attempting to land on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier touches down, but fails to catch an arrestor cable and come to a stop. Bolter aircraft accelerate at full throttle and become airborne in order to go around to re-attempt the landing.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Now matter how many times a Navy pilot makes a catapult launch during his/her career, the stress of such launches *never* diminishes. The same applies to carrier arrested landings.

I was assigned to VFA-103/CVW-7, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU_0e...eature=related
    I would guess that carrier landings are usually more stressful than launches. Is this true?

Hi Joseph,

Love your story on the first page of this thread about aircraft radio transmissions requesting groundspeed - so very funny! What is the maximum speed and altitude capability of an F-14 Tomcat? Also, what is the largest commercial plane flying the skies these days (overall size and passenger capacity)? I really enjoy your fantastic photos...the pictures of the crew rest areas/bunks showed me something I never knew existed. As a pilot, are you truly able to get the rest and sleep you need in an area like that? It looks pretty confortable based on what I saw. Thanks for teaching me something new every time I visit this thread...I too registered for your new forum, "The Glass Cockpit", and am really looking forward to additional aviation related topics and discussions!

Sincerely,

Cynthia

OK I have a question for you. You fly to Anchorage alot.
    I know Alaska is loaded to the muckalucks with private pilots and smaller aircraft.
    Is it a pain landing there with all the small planes or do you land really late at night
    to avoid the puddle jumpers?
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

JoS3ph - I had a question for you that probably got lost in last snooze-a-thon post yesterday.

How's the market for pilots these days? From puddle jumpers to 747s - what's going on there hire-wise?

joS3ph Guest
    Barbossa, carrier landings are always difficult (and very nerve-wracking!).

Cynthia, I flew the USN F-14A+/F-14B Tomcat. The F-14A's Pratt & Whitney model TF30 engines were upgraded with the General Electric F110-400 engines and the F-14A was reclassified as the F-14A+/F-14B model. The P&W TF30 engines were susceptible to compressor stall at high angles of attack (AoA) and during rapid throttle transients or above 30,000 feet.

Grumman F-14A+/B Tomcat performance was outstanding. The GE F110-400 turbofan engines (afterburner) were rated at 27,800 pounds (27,800 lbf). Maximum speed was somewhere in the neighborhood of mach 2.34 (or roughly 1,544 mph) at high altitude. The F-14A+/B had a range of about 1,600 nautical miles (combat radius of 500 nautical miles) and a service ceiling of 50,000 feet. Rate of climb was somewhere around 45,000 feet/minute. The thrust-to-weight ratio was approximately 0.91.

In regards to sleeping in the crew rest area, one can get some rather good rest if the turbulence isn't terribly bad. The largest passenger airliner in the world is the Airbus/EADS A380-800:

The Airbus A380 provides seating for 525 people in a typical three-class configuration, or up to 853 people in an all-economy class configuration.

jaylene Guest
    Wow that plane is huge!! Love the picture. It would be awesome to
    see that take off.

Hey Joseph, do you have a preference between aircraft made by Boeing, Airbus, and McDonnell Douglas? i.e. Does one of them make aircraft that are easier to fly, more reliable etc.?

joS3ph Guest
    In regards to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (PANC/ANC), the FAA has forecast total operations for the year 2011 to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 261,375. In 2010, average operations was 793 per day: 37% scheduled commercial, 35% general aviation, 27% air taxi and 1% military. The breakdown for aircraft based at PANC is 59% multi-engine, 27% helicopters, 11% military and 3% jet aircraft.

Personally, I have not had any trouble getting into, or out of, PANC. Of course, FedEx Express operates a major hub there (approximately 1,200 FedEx employees), so that may have something to do with getting in or out in a reasonable amount of time. FedEx Express forecasts a large growth in traffic over the next several years, as trade with China and other Far East countries increases and FedEx plans to expand their Anchorage facilities.

Aviatrix, opportunities are expected to be best for regional airline/low-cost carrier pilots (at least that is what I have read). Pilot opportunities with air cargo carriers should also rise this year because of increasing security requirements for shipping freight, and increased demand for global freight. Business, commuter, corporate, and on-demand air taxi travel is also on the rise, so those industries are providing some jobs for pilots, at least here locally. Pilots attempting to get jobs at the major airlines will continue to face strong competition, as most airlines tend to attract many more applicants than the number of job openings.

Barbossa, Boeing and McDonnell Douglas airplanes are the only ones I have ever flown. I can't see that there would be that much difference in the manufacturers. I have flown in Airbus cockpits before, and I don't know how I would do with the side-stick controllers, but I'm sure there isn't that much difference in them. Some pilots swear by one manufacturer over another, but I don't see it myself. Maybe I should try one of the Airbus A300/A310 simulators to see what it's like.

Klopek Guest

F-14 Tribute

Joseph, This ones for you sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5msUkCqzc

Hat's off to you F-14 pilots, I spent a few years as an ABH in the Naval Air Reserve from 1985- 1995. attached to CVN-68, 67, then Coral Maru.
    When not on acdutra, Flown once a month in C-9s from JFK-NAS Norfolk where I worked on the T-Line. Budget cuts ended it all.

I have a pic of the last Phantoms nose to nose in Ike's flight deck from Coral Sea, Then me under an S3 @Norfolk.
    Enjoy, Glenn
    P.s. Love that mailbox

Name:	Last of the Phantoms on Ike (2).jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	30249  
    Last edited by Klopek; 03-17-2011 at 01:28 PM.

DonnaMc Guest
    Who does the Airbus belong to?

joS3ph Guest
    Thanks for the kind words Klopek! I can't take all the credit though. People like you played an integral part. I sincerely appreciate all the dedicated (and *very* hardworking) men and women of the U.S. Navy that made all my training and flights possible. I also appreciate the photographs and the video; they definitely bring back some memories.

DonnaMc, Airbus is a manufacturing subsidiary of EADS (European Aeronautic Defence [Defense] and Space Company, N.V), a European aerospace company, based in Blagnac, France (near Toulouse).
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Klopek Guest
    My pleasure sir,
    When I get a chance later I'll post the few pics I took during those times, It was never easy to go snapping pictures during the cold war as you know, We had to put in a request at public relations.
    I miss the smell of JP5 cookin!

Klopek Guest

C-9B Skytrain II

These birds were our airlifters, The high proliferation of Navy air reserve units during th 80's kept the VR squadrons busy. Grainy blurry photo-but that's the Kodak disc camera.

Name:	One of our rides.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	30251  

Klopek Guest

Smile C-9B Skytrain II

Another shot of a C-9 @ Norfolk's MAC terminal. Sometimes at JFK the aircrew would use the AFT airstairs. Whenever I came aboard this way, I thought of D.B. Cooper. When the C-9 picked us up at JFK, it was always at the back of PanAM hangar 17. Hangar 17 is where the remnants of the world trade center are now kept and is the subject of conspiracy theory by Former MN. governor/Navy seal Jesse (the body) Ventura.
    Capt. JoS3ph, can you tell me what the antenna above the fuselage is? This was taken like 1988/89
    Last edited by Klopek; 03-17-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Klopek Guest

Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post
    Who does the Airbus belong to?
    Hi Donna,
    Airbus is an aircraft manufacturer like Boeing. It's a European conglomorate that has it's planes manufactured in different european countries but brings all of the components together in France for final assembly. JetBlue flies only Airbus aircraft with a few Embraer (Brazil made) in it's fleet. The largest passenger aircraft (A380) is made by Airbus and is now in service with a few airlines.

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    Another shot of a C-9 @ Norfolk's MAC terminal. Sometimes at JFK the aircrew would use the AFT airstairs. Whenever I came aboard this way, I thought of D.B. Cooper. When the C-9 picked us up at JFK, it was always at the back of PanAM hangar 17. Hangar 17 is where the remnants of the world trade center are now kept and is the subject of conspiracy theory by Former MN. governor/Navy seal Jesse (the body) Ventura.
    Capt. JoS3ph, can you tell me what the antenna above the fuselage is? This was taken like 1988/89
    Fantastic images Klopek! Wow, do I remember those C-9s! What you are viewing Klopek is the RTA-44D VHF data radio number one antenna. Depending on BUNO, it could be the VHF number two antenna. The frequency range for the RTA-44Ds was 118.000 to 137.000 MHz with 8.33 kHz channel spacing.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    JoS3ph - I had a question for you that probably got lost in last snooze-a-thon post yesterday.

How's the market for pilots these days? From puddle jumpers to 747s - what's going on there hire-wise?
    I'll grab this one. Right now it's trending up. Regional carriers are hiring a lot and a few of the Legacy carriers like Delta and US Air are picking up as well. Southwest just opened a website for pilots to apply for positions as well. I just got a job with a cargo carrier and quite a few of the Flight Instructors at my previous job have left in the past few months.
    There's still a decent amount of furloughed pilots on the street, but right now things are looking good. A lot of things could change that though.
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

Klopek Guest
    Fantastic images Klopek! Wow, do I remember those C-9s! What you are viewing Klopek is the RTA-44D VHF data radio number one antenna. Depending on BUNO, it could be the VHF number two antenna. The frequency range for the RTA-44Ds was 118.000 to 137.000 MHz with 8.33 kHz channel spacing.
    It's nothing, They may only seem fantastic to you because you're a pilot and these are never seen before photos. We loved our ride once a month and always had decent coffee and a 50/50 raffle onboard --I never won but I would always be able to take a short nap knowing that naval aviators were at the helm! I've never slept mid-air since.

joS3ph Guest
    A USN F-14B (VFA-103, Jolly Rogers) "bolter" taking to the air after missing the "wire." Taken on board the USS Enterprise (CVN-76). Note the S-3 viking in the background.

Klopek Guest
    BTW Capt.,
    Thanks for the info on the antenna, I thought it was an early GPS but what the hell do I know.
    Did you fly a viking? -I didn't look into your past--just asking.

Klopek Guest

Thumbs up VF-84

A USN F-14B (VFA-103, Jolly Rogers) "bolter" taking to the air after missing the "wire." Taken on board the USS Enterprise (CVN-76). Note the S-3 viking in the background.

Yeah Baby-- I took a rack curtain from nimitz with the Jolly Rogers on it and I still have it! I made it into a jacket back and when the jacket got worn out - I cut the jacket apart to get my flag back. I snap a pic tomorrow

joS3ph Guest
    Night ops on an aircraft carrier (loading ordnance on an F-14). Taken during the Gulf War.

joS3ph Guest
    No, I did not fly the S-3 Viking. VHF antennas are of the "flat-blade" variety. GPS antennas applied to airplanes look similar to this:

GPS antennas on commercial aircraft are generally located between the ATC (R) and VHF (L) antennas, just aft of the cockpit.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 03-17-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Klopek Guest

Thumbs up Great shot.

[quote=joS3ph;1124096]Night ops on an aircraft carrier (loading ordnance on an F-14). Taken during the Gulf War.

Wow that's a great shot, the exposure setting gives the illusion that the flight deck is lit up like a night game at a ball park but we know different.

Klopek Guest
    No, I did not fly the S-3 Viking. VHF antennas are of the "flat-blade" variety. GPS antennas applied to airplanes look similar to this:

GPS antennas on commercial aircraft are generally located between the ATC (R) and VHF (L) antennas, just aft of the cockpit.
    Thanks, AB's are nummies when it comes to avionics

I'm so loving all of the pics!!!! Keep them coming!!!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Barbossa, carrier landings are always difficult (and very nerve-wracking!).

Cynthia, I flew the USN F-14A+/F-14B Tomcat. The F-14A's Pratt & Whitney model TF30 engines were upgraded with the General Electric F110-400 engines and the F-14A was reclassified as the F-14A+/F-14B model. The P&W TF30 engines were susceptible to compressor stall at high angles of attack (AoA) and during rapid throttle transients or above 30,000 feet.

Grumman F-14A+/B Tomcat performance was outstanding. The GE F110-400 turbofan engines (afterburner) were rated at 27,800 pounds (27,800 lbf). Maximum speed was somewhere in the neighborhood of mach 2.34 (or roughly 1,544 mph) at high altitude. The F-14A+/B had a range of about 1,600 nautical miles (combat radius of 500 nautical miles) and a service ceiling of 50,000 feet. Rate of climb was somewhere around 45,000 feet/minute. The thrust-to-weight ratio was approximately 0.91.

In regards to sleeping in the crew rest area, one can get some rather good rest if the turbulence isn't terribly bad. The largest passenger airliner in the world is the Airbus/EADS A380-800:

The Airbus A380 provides seating for 525 people in a typical three-class configuration, or up to 853 people in an all-economy class configuration.

Remember the first double decker? It had berths, a dining area, and seats where you couldn't feel the vibrations.

American Overseas Airways Stratocruiser.

Her's a cutaway section of the Northwest Airlines B377 double-decker. This one didn't have a dining area.
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 03-18-2011 at 07:12 AM.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    Thanks, AB's are nummies when it comes to avionics
    For those that don't know, Klopek was an Aviation Boatswain's Mate (AB) in the U.S. Navy (enlisted rating). There were three types on board aircraft carriers:

ABE (Launching/Recovery Equipment)
    ABF (Fueling)
    ABH (Aircraft Handling)

All of the above Naval occupations are *very* dangerous jobs. Without all of these men and women, and aircraft would never get off (or back onto) the aircraft carrier.

Klopek Guest

Still more from my archive.

This one is me cutting us loose while My friend Eddie is inside going over the flight plan. Eddie was an AO (aviation ordinanceman) and a licensed pilot. He was a Brooklyn boy from near coney island. Being Navy reserve and a pilot he was able to rent cessnas from the navy flying club at NAS Norfolk. It was REALLY cheap to do so, it was something like $20 an hour.
    I always kicked in and rode shotgun. The planes were always in crappy shape, bald tires, guages held in place with duct tape etc.. but we filed a flight plan and flew over Norfolk, Newport News, and down onto KittyHawk
    S.C. where the Wright brothers made their first flight. We landed on their small strip and walked around then headed back to Norfolk. Notice the A6 Intruders in the background (wings folded), I can't believe they're retired now--I'm getting old.

Name:	A rental Eddie Lamb in cockpit (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	30254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat overhaul Newport News VA.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	30255  

joS3ph Guest
    Great pictures Klopek. You mentioning the Intruders reminded me of something else. How about an EA-6B Prowler rattling you from your rack? The EA-6Bs just HAD to be some of the LOUDEST airplanes ever flown by the USN!

Klopek Guest
    Funny,
    My first berthing compartment was aft, and could not hear jet noise, but the tailhooks slamming the deck --it was like an M80 firecracker going off. The air conditioning was always good though so eventually I ended up sleeping like a baby.
    To this day my wife can't wake me up with noise but she knows why, She joined me on a dependents day cruise with me on the Kennedy and was blown away by conditions onboard.

Klopek Guest
    Great pictures Klopek. You mentioning the Intruders reminded me of something else. How about an EA-6B Prowler rattling you from your rack? The EA-6Bs just HAD to be some of the LOUDEST airplanes ever flown by the USN!

In our Reserve unit one of our officers and a very cool guy (LCDR (Skip)Beard) was an A6 pilot. somebody asked him if the A6 could break the sound barrier. He said that he and his co-pilot tried to put it in a dive with power and couldn't do it. LCDR Beard was a big dude and built-always led the way when it came to our PT.