Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Six dead, 12 wounded in Arizona shooting

Six dead, 12 wounded in Arizona shooting

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Pat MaGroin Guest

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head by a gunman

Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head by a gunman outside a grocery store in Tucson while holding a public event

CNN has a source stating she has died.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Now they are saying its official. Guess we can move this to Other Deaths.

lab_rat Guest

Arizona Representative Gabrielle Giffords shot

death hag dee Guest
    ugh so sad

lab_rat Guest

OMG! They have a suspect in custody.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2Dogs Guest
    MSNBC has just gotten word that she is still alive, but in critical condition.

lab_rat Guest
    They are all reporting that it was fatal. Sad.
    Last edited by lab_rat; 01-08-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    A Congresswoman has died after being shot in the head during a campaigning event in the U.S.
    Gabrielle Giffords was outside Safeway grocery store in Tucson, Arizona, when a gunman struck.

A Pima County sheriff's spokesman says at least 12 people were shot at the event. One person is in custody.

Shot: Gabrielle Giffords was at a public event in Tuscon when a gunman struck

Giffords, an Arizona Democrat, was first elected to the House in 2006 and represents the state's 8th Congressional District. She was taken to the University Medical Center Hospital but medics were unable to save her.

According to MSNBC, the gunman ran into a 'crowded area' and began 'firing indiscriminately'.
    Giffords was apparently talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and shot her at point blank range. According to other witnesses, he was tackled by a bystander and taken into custody.
    Astronaut: Mark Kelly, left, is Gabrielle Gifford's husband. He is pictured with his twin, Scott Kelly (file photo)

Gabrielle Giffords talks with army personnel in July 2010. The Congresswoman was known for cracking down on immigration

Jason Pekau, a Sprint employee who works near Safeway, told CNN: 'I see two bodies laying on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway.'
    Three emergency evacuation helicopters were sent to the scene.

Giffords has been a congresswoman for Arizona since January 3, 2007.

She was previously a legislator for the Arizona House of Representatives from 2001 to 2003.

The 40-year-old politician, who has worked for Price Waterhouse in New York, has been married to U.S. Navy Captain and astronaut Mark E Kelly since 2007. She has two children.

2Dogs Guest
    Lots of conflicting reports, but MSNBC has a hospital rep on the phone right now who is saying that she is in surgery.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    Lots of conflicting reports, but MSNBC has a hospital rep on the phone right now who is saying that she is in surgery.
    Yeah, I just saw this on NPR.com.

2:37 p.m. ET: KOLD-TV in Tucson reports it has been told by hospital officials that Giffords is alive and in surgery.

Ted Challinor Guest
    conflicting reports abound - I just hope she is alive and pulls through. Another brutal day in the land of the free [to bear arms]

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Challinor View Post
    conflicting reports abound - I just hope she is alive and pulls through. Another brutal day in the land of the free [to bear arms]
    Me, too. I would like this thread to be able to be moved.

Klopek Guest
    Crazy news today, I'm shutting off the cable box/ on goes the Playstation. Condolences to all affected.

Pat MaGroin Guest

Giffords Last Tweet before shooting.

Her last tweet:

Ted Challinor Guest
    let's hope she lives to tweet again

Ted Challinor Guest
    Jeff Rogers, chairman of the local Democratic Party, said Ms Giffords was "a rising star" in the Democratic Party and had hoped to eventually win the Arizona Senate seat.

"That is terrible news," he told BBC News, describing her as "wonderful congresswoman and a wonderful person".

He added: "We just can't continue to have this kind of carnage on school campuses and against public officials."

- that last bit says it all really, doesn't it? But he needs to add: "So we'll legislate..."

holding a good thought for them!
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ted Challinor Guest
    Apparently a child is injured in this appauling incident.
    Can any of you states side explain the poster here with her name on> ?

http://twitpic.com/3o7bno

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I just received a CNN alert that she did in fact die. RIP

ETA: Actually, I received it a while back. But now I just received another alert that she is in surgery. I hope she pulls through...
    Last edited by MorbidChrissy; 01-08-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Shot point blank in the head, she'll probably be changed forever, if she lives.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I only hope that they keep her alive long enough for her family to get to say goodbye. Tragic.

I hear that she was a staunch anti-illegal immigration supporter, wanting the National Guard and other means to fortify our border with Mexico.

Did she have children? Anybody know?

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    2 Step-kids. The children are her husbands, they have been married 3 years.
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 01-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Soonerson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post

I read earlier where she has 2.

No one can simply go to a super market, go to school or anything else without worrying about flying bullets from a lunatic. Horrifying.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    2 kids.
    Damn. So hoping for the best for that family.

death hag dee Guest
    yes she had 2 children

Ted Challinor Guest
    All media here aren't reaching to say she's dead. The hospital will update shortly we're being told. Anyone know what gunlaw restrictions there are in Arizona? Let's hope today will mean there will be stricter laws in that state and others

Fancynancy Guest
    I am so SICK of this!!

The local and national media have many conflicting stories about this. Some have up to 13 people shot, with at least 5 dead.

I didn't like Gabby's politics but never heard a bad thing about her as a person. I also never heard about her having kids, unless they are stepchildren.

2Dogs Guest
    All media here aren't reaching to say she's dead. The hospital will update shortly we're being told. Anyone know what gunlaw restrictions there are in Arizona? Let's hope today will mean there will be stricter laws in that state and others
    For what it's worth, Congresswoman Giffords is a gun owner herself and a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

The official count so far... 19 shot, 5 dead. several critical.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    No one can simply go to a super market, go to school or anything else without worrying about flying bullets from a lunatic. Horrifying.

My guess is that this was a planned shooting - She was at a well-advertised public speaking event and was shot point-blank in the head. With such an accurate shot, I believe she was the first shot with the others being shot in the pandemonium afterwards.

Still, I believe she was the shooter's target. My guess is the shooter went to that event intending to kill her.

Ted Challinor Guest
    madness. I hope there's Change over there

madness. I hope there's Change over there
    I don't believe guns are going anywhere. Not anytime soon, anyway. There are reports of a child dead.

This was bound to happen. It was just last year when Arizona men were bearing assault rifles at a Obama speech. Gun nuts and Politics don't mix.

pvezz Guest
    To whichever mod merged and moved her out of the 'dead' section, cool. Hope she pulls through.

Strict gun laws won't stop "crazy". Unless you can somehow outlaw that, things like this will always occur. Dem or Rep, I think we can all agree that this is a senseless tradgedy that should never occur. My heart goes out to her and the others who were hurt or killed.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Strict gun laws won't stop "crazy". Unless you can somehow outlaw that, things like this will always occur. Dem or Rep, I think we can all agree that this is a senseless tradgedy that should never occur. My heart goes out to her and the others who were hurt or killed.

Agree, agree, agree!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Gun nuts and Politics don't mix.
    All we know is it was a nut, with a gun. I hope to god it was not a right wing wacko, as a conservative, we sometimes get lumped in with those lunatics.

2Dogs Guest
    Now they are reporting that a Federal Judge (John Roll) was killed.

http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13807722&hpt=T1

Arizona local news coverage from KGUN. KGUN? Seriously?

Out of sugery and responding to docs. Sounds like good news.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13807722&hpt=T1

Arizona local news coverage from KGUN. KGUN? Seriously?
    lol, life's ironies....

Anyway, initial reports say that she was able to move her hands after being shot.

Guest Guest
    CNN LIVE right now...Doctor is being interviewed...he says she is NOT dead...her surgery has been completed and he's optimistic about her recovery..5 other patients are in critical condition and another 5 are in surgery...that one of the victims was a 9 year old child...

so sick of this happening and so sad for the victims