Thread: Verne Langdon

Verne Langdon

Verne Langdon was a multi talented man. He was a master in cinema makeup, a published author, and a very talented musician. He was a contributer to Find A Death, writing the bio on Schlitze. Had it not been for his moving story on Schlitze, we would not have had such an outpouring of contributions to get his grave marked.

Verne was found dead on New Year's day, 01/01/2011. At this time, it looks like he died peacefully in his sleep.

I was blessed to have met this man and to call him my friend. He was warm, generous, and kind. Talking to him was like talking to a walking encyclopedia of old school Hollywood. You could not mention a place or an event without Verne giving you the history behind it or sharing some charming anecdote.

I placed this in this section as Verne was known for his many talents, but spent the last few years of his career working on his music. He wrote and arranged the music for the 2010 Grammy nominated album "Jonathon Winters - A Very Special Time".

We have lost a talented man. RIP Verne.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    This sucks...This sucks hard...Colicky...I am so, so, so, so, so sorry...

This man helped make movies...He may not have been in the movie per sey but without him, there would be a HUGE void in many of the classics...

Thanks for everything Verne...And here's to a great man...

Kugmu Guest
    Indeed this sad news.
    I was very fortunate to have known Verne and my life is so much richer because of it.
    Good people are hard to find and he truly was a good one…
    A link that shows some of his work while at Don Post Studios is HERE
    An RIP Site is HERE
    Wiki is HERE
    His Official Web Site is HERE

Thanks for everything, Verne!

He was also a member of our forum here.

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/member.php?u=4052

RIP.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP Verne

aLiLdirt Guest
    What a talented clever, man!
    With regret, I admit I do not know very much about him, his life or work.
    However, that will soon change.
    My most humble condolences to all who knew Mr. Langdon.

This is an e-mail I received earlier tonight.

Hello: My name is Arthur Heinrich. I was a long time friend/companion of Verne's and was the one to discover him when he passed in his sleep. His official time of death was January 2nd, 2011 at 4:30am. He was 69.
    Last edited by Colicky; 01-03-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Rudy's Girl Guest
    Oh no. I'm so very, very sorry to hear this! Rest in peace dear Verne....

RIP Verne.
    Cindy

Man, that just sucks. RIP Verne. I know he's hanging with Schlitze, though.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

RIP to a very special person.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Pryncis Guest
    So sad...

RIP Mr. Langdon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verne.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	29647  

SenorMuerto Guest
    Pickles.

Verne had been talking about moving from California to Arizona. The cost of living in California was pissing him off. He could own in Arizona for less than the rent he was paying in California. He was sick of the fires. He liked the heat of the desert. And did I mention the cost of living in California was pissing him off?

He was grocery shopping. He picked up a jar of pickles to buy. It was almost $6.

That was the last straw. He told me it was the price of that jar of pickles that finally got him to make the move to Arizona.

The first time I visited him in Mesa, I brought him a jar of pickles.

From carnival sideshows to wrestling to motion pictures to television to albums. He knew all the horror greats(Karloff, Chaney Jr., etc.), Mae West, Jonathan Winters, and even Michael Jackson. He worked on projects as varied as Planet Of The Apes, Match Game, and Captain EO. His places of employment included Don Post Studios(of which he was an owner), CBS Television City and Universal Studios. He wrestled, did make-up, created classic masks, wrote, composed, played the piano and theatre organ and produced albums. And as Colicky said, he was nominated for a Grammy in 2010.

I wouldn't be surprised if he just hadn't gotten around to telling me he could spin plates on a stick while riding a unicycle.

Verne's career was such that his listing here on this forum wouldn't have been miscategorized no matter where it was placed.

It's just here too soon.

Most importantly, he was my friend who I was fortunate enough to get to know from the Schlitzie Memorial and over lots of food at places like the Organ Stop and Bill Johnson's Big Apple in Mesa. Verne loved to eat. I regret we didn't eat more often.

We've lost a great man.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schltzla2209_048PMDfad.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	29649  
    Last edited by SenorMuerto; 01-04-2011 at 06:07 AM.

RIP, Verne - sorry I never met you.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I'm pretty sure that, this is the first forum member we have lost to death.
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1karenhb Guest
    Sad news indeed. RIP Verne.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, this is the first forum member we have lost to death.
    I was wondering about that. It crossed my mind after reading your previous post.

I know some forum members can come and go and some only make a few posts. In his 70 posts on this forum we learned so much and we're all better people because of it. I never knew him. I've never had a conversation with him. But, it feels like I've lost a family member, that we've all lost a family member... it's hard to lose one of our own...

Looch Guest
    I had no idea Verne posted here until now.

To some people, Verne Langdon was a professional wrestler/trainer/promoter, singer/songwriter, record producer, radio host, make-up artist, mask designer, and magician. To me, more importantly than those pursuits, he was a friend and a mentor.

By the time I first got in touch with Verne in 2003, he had already achieved decades’ worth of successes in several entertainment-related industries. I, of course, had no such achievements to my credit. Nonetheless, Verne not only gave me the time of day, but he saw potential in me, and he let me know this often.

As I look back on old e-mails (many of which contain Verne’s signature red and blue font that I will surely miss) and think back to our conversations, it hits me that despite how naïve I probably came off to Verne, he never gave up on me, nor did he ever give up on teaching me life lessons. Even when I ignored his advice, he still never gave up on me.

When thinking about how to best describe Verne, the word I keep coming back to is “wise.” It is this – the wisdom that he possessed and his willingness to impart that wisdom to others in the form of advice – that I want people to know about him most. When Verne gave you advice, it may or may not have been the advice you wanted to hear, but it was the advice that you *should* hear, and he was telling you it for a very good reason. I am grateful that Verne shared some of his wisdom and advice with me.

There are several lessons I will take away from Verne, but all of them can be considered as falling under one umbrella principle: always think about the big picture of things.

A lot of the time, things that we may think are important actually pale in comparison to those things that actually do matter. Verne communicated to me the importance of:

- excelling in your education
    - excelling in showing respect--particularly to those who taught you what you know and to those who came before you (i.e. those who taught your teachers what they know)
    - excelling in being honest and in staying true to your word
    - excelling in behaving like a professional if you are going to claim to be a professional
    - excelling in being original
    - excelling in doing everything you do to the best of your ability

Verne, thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom with me, and thank you for seeing something special in me--and for letting me know that you see something special in me. I hope to make you proud.
    Last edited by Looch; 01-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.

RIP dear man. I wish I would have 'friended' you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mulvaness Guest
    R.I.P. Verne
    I only wish I could have had the chance to get to know you.

pvezz Guest
    I just saw this thread. Looch, what a wonderful tribute to your friend. I remember how happy Verne was about the Schiltzie stone. RIP, Verne.

That was beautiful Looch!
    Cindy

RIP Verne.

Thanks Colicky, for letting us know. Thanks SenorMuerto, Looch and Kugmu for the pics and stories. You all have my condolences. You've clearly lost a very good friend, and we all lost a good man and fellow hag. What a fantastic life he had!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Kugmu Guest
    Hi Folks!
    Here is the info for the "Celibration of Verne Langdon":

Today, we can finally announce that the "Celebration of Verne Langdon" will be held January 25, 2011, 1 p.m., at Pierce Brothers Valhalla, 10621 Victory Blvd., North Hollywood, Ca 91606. There will be no final resting place ceremony as yet. An "RSVP" would be greatly appreciated. If you cannot come to this, we are hoping to video tape everything and there will be something less formal at "Monsterpalooza" this April by Eliot Brodsky..."
    If you are planning to attend, please send a RSVP to DAWN KARRASCH <dawnkarrasch@sbcglobal.net>

"Monsterpalooza" will be held April 8-10 at the Marriot Burbank Hotel and Convention Center. It will be dedicated to the memory of Verne Langdon.
    Some info is about this is HERE.

I will be attending the memorial. Is anyone else planning on attending?

Sounds like he was very loved. May he RIP.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Oh no, this is terrible news. I had the pleasure of trading emails with Verne for awhile and he was such a sweet and articulate man. The world has truly lost a wonderful person!

[SIZE=3]Vernon Loring (Verne) LANGDON [/SIZE]

| Visit Guest Book

LANGDON, Vernon (Verne) Loring September 15, 1941-January 1,2011 VERNE LANGDON, best known for his creation of America's most popular horror monster mask passed away of natural causes at his home on 1/1/11. He was a partner in the Don Post Studios in Hollywood and worked or was on the staff of make-up artists at many studios, including FOX, MGM, and Universal. He was credited with creating special effects makeup on many Planet of the Apes films. He was a gifted song writer and wrote, produced or was the featured artist on 15 albums and over 30 CD's. He was a member of ASCAP (Society for Composers, Authors and Publishers). In 2009 his CD "A Very Special Time" with Jonathan Winters was nominated for a Grammy in the "Spoken Word" category. His uncle was legendary jazz band leader Red Nichols. Survived by Dawn Langdon Karrasch, Brent A. Karrasch, and Brianna Dawn Karrasch of Hollywood, CA. Public Services to be held on January 25, 2011, 1 p.m. , Pierce Bros. Valhalla, 10621 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood, CA 91606. In lieu of flowers, or to RSVP for Private Reception that follows, you may contact dawnkarrasch@sbcglobal.net
    Published in the Los Angeles Times on January 19, 2011

RIP, Verne
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What name did he go by on this forum?
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    What name did he go by on this forum?
    He used his own name. http://www.findadeath.com/forum/member.php?u=4052
    John Trim On Face Book

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7 years later, and it still doesn’t get any easier. Your passing is our loss. RIP, Verne.

Thinking of you on this date. You made strangers friends, and some strangers family. Rest easy, dear friend. We will take it from here.