Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charles Bronson

Bellfire Guest

Charles Bronson

The man himself, I love his movies. I love the machanic the best. He was viral, sexy, down to earth and man. He could play any ethnic person just about and he had a charisma that allowed him to get away with stuff no one else could.

Bellfire Guest
    I'm sorry I should have put this in with the no longer live celebrities shouldn't I?

ComputerGuy Guest
    DUDE,

A tab of acid and your sig makes for a great evening!!

RoRo Guest
    Charles Bronson was one of my favs!! His love affair with Jill Ireland was beautiful

Danny62 Guest
    I liked him in the Dirty Dozen movie and his death wish movies...

From what I have read he was a super nice guy in real life!!!

onehunglow Guest

When she died so did he

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Charles Bronson was one of my favs!! His love affair with Jill Ireland was beautiful
    He spent a lot of time at Tahoe and was going to buy her a home there. People saw him in stores etc. said the same. Class act.

Guest Guest
    FINALLY! Someone I can finally post on since I live in a state where NOOOOOOOO celebrities are buried besides Charles Bronson. WOOO HOOO Go me. Yes yes I do plan on visiting and yes I will get pics. : does happy dance :

poppie Guest
    He was one of my favorite actors. I think I have seen all his movie, even ones where he is not credited. Bronson was my idea of a man!!!
    Last edited by poppie; 10-27-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    FINALLY! Someone I can finally post on since I live in a state where NOOOOOOOO celebrities are buried besides Charles Bronson. WOOO HOOO Go me. Yes yes I do plan on visiting and yes I will get pics. : does happy dance :
    Yay< I love pictures of him 'cause he was hot!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    DUDE,

A tab of acid and your sig makes for a great evening!!
    Thank You but I'm a chick man lol.

Bellfire Guest
    I loved the way he set up his will so that his wives and children would get money per year so that they would naver be poor.

11. 10-30-2007, 01:42 AM

grave site
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

13. 10-30-2007, 02:04 AM

b57hrle Guest
    He was one of my all time favorites... very hot!! When he passed that left only 2 of the original Magnificent Seven main actors left alive.. Robert Vaughn and Eli Wallach..
    His love with Jill is storybook to say the least!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    charles bronson.....THE MAN! i watched a old episode of the outer limits or something like that where he played a boxer haunted by another one named "paddy". it was actually a good episode!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    MAN, I loved Charles Bronson movies growing up. House Of Wax, Dirty Dozen, Machanic, Telefon, The Evil That Men Do, 10 To Midnight, the Death Wish movies...yup, he WAS a classic. they don't make em like Bronson anymore, that's for DAMN sure. tough as fucking nails, I tell ya.

Jill Ireland
    24 April 1936
    17 May 1990
    English actress
    Born in London, England

She was married to Scottish actor David McCallum from May 11, 1957 to 1967 and worked opposite him in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode;
    "The Quadripartite Affair" (season 1, episode 3 - 1964) and again four weeks later in episode 7; "The Guioco Piano Affair". She came back a
    third time in "The Tigers Are Coming Affair" (episode 37 in 1965). They had three sons, including their adopted son, Jason McCallum, who died
    of a drug overdose in 1989. His death devastated Ireland and made her into an anti-drug activist during the remainder of her life.
    The movie "The Great Escape" (1963), she met actor Charles Bronson, also working in that movie, who would become her second husband.
    In the 1970s and 1980s, she would appear so often in her husband's movies that she once kidded during an interview that "I'm in so many
    Charles Bronson films because no other actress will work with him." In 1984, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a
    mastectomy. She continued to struggle with this disease for the next six years, finally dying of breast cancer in 1990 in Malibu, California.
    In 1987, she served as chairman of the National Cancer Society. Near the end of her life, she would publish an intimate account of her
    struggle with breast cancer in her book, Life Wish (1987), and of her adopted son, Jason's heroin addiction (he would die of an accidental
    overdose in 1989), in the book "Life Lines". She began a third autobiographical book, later published after her death under the title,
    "Life Times".

Cause of death: Cancer
    Burial: Cremated
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

disco Guest
    Personally I liked him best in "Hard Times". His grave site is totally kool. Enough bout that.

That has to be one of the most beautiful gravesites I have ever seen. I love that poem.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

cachluv Guest

Charles Bronson

11/03/21---08/30/03

Charles Bronson, the Pennsylvania coal miner who drifted into films as a villain and faced action star, died at 81.

Bronson died Saturday of pneumonia at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his wife at his bedside, publicist Lori Jonas said. He had been in the hospital for weeks, Jonas said.

During the height of his career, Bronson was hugely popular in Europe; the French knew him as "le sacre monstre" (the sacred monster), the Italians as "Il Brutto" (the ugly man). In 1971, he was presented a Golden Globe as "the most popular actor in the world."
    Like Clint Eastwood, whose spaghetti westerns won him stardom, Bronson had to make European films to prove his worth as a star. He left a featured-role career in Hollywood to play leads in films made in France, Italy and Spain. His blunt manner, powerful build and air of danger made him the most popular actor in those countries.
    At age 50, he returned to Hollywood a star.
    In a 1971 interview, he theorized on why the journey had taken him so long:
    "Maybe I'm too masculine. Casting directors cast in their own, or an idealized image. Maybe I don't look like anybody's ideal."
    His early life gave no indication of his later fame. He was born Charles Buchinsky on Nov. 3, 1921 — not 1922, as studio biographies claimed — in Ehrenfeld, Pa. He was the 11th of 15 children of a coal miner and his wife, both Lithuanian immigrants.
    Young Charles learned the art of survival in the tough district of Scooptown, "where you had nothing to lose because you lost it already." The Buchinskys lived crowded in a shack, the children wearing hand-me-downs from older siblings. At the age of 6, Charles was embarrassed to attend school in his sister's dress.
    Charles' father died when he was 10, and at 16 Charles followed his brothers into the mines. He was paid $1 per ton of coal and volunteered for perilous jobs because the pay was better. Like other toughs in Scooptown, he raised some hell and landed in jail for assault and robbery.
    He might have stayed in the mines for the rest of his life except for World War II.
    Drafted in 1943, he served with the Air Force in the Pacific, reportedly as a tail gunner on a B29. Having seen the outside world, he vowed not to return to the squalor of Scooptown.
    He was attracted to acting not, he claimed, because of any artistic urge; he was impressed by the money movie stars could earn. He joined the Philadelphia Play and Players Troupe, painting scenery and acting a few minor roles.
    At the Pasadena Playhouse school, Bronson improved his diction, supporting himself by selling Christmas cards and toys on street corners. Studio scouts saw him at the Playhouse and he was cast as a sailor in the 1951 service comedy You're in the Navy Now starring Gary Cooper.
    As Charles Buchinsky or Buchinski, he played supporting roles in Red Skies of Montana, The Marrying Kind, Pat and Mike (in which he fell victim to Katharine Hepburn's judo), The House of Wax, Jubal and other films. In 1954 he changed his last name, fearing reaction in the McCarthy era to Russian-sounding names.
    Bronson's first starring role came in 1958 with Machine-Gun Kelly, an exploitation film made in eight days. He also appeared in two brief TV series, Man with a Camera (1958) and The Travels of Jamie McPheeters (1963).
    His status grew with impressive performances in The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, The Battle of the Bulge, The Sandpiper and The Dirty Dozen. But real stardom eluded him, his rough-hewn face and brusque manner not fitting the Hollywood tradition for leading men.
    Alain Delon, like many French, had admired Machine Gun Kelly, and he invited Bronson to co-star with him in a British-French film, Adieu, L'Ami (Farewell, Friend). It made Bronson a European favorite.
    Among his films abroad was a hit spaghetti western, "Once Upon a Time in the West." Finally Hollywood took notice.
    Among his starring films: The Valachi Papers, Chato's Land, The Mechanic, Valdez, The Stone Killer, Mr. Majestyk, Breakout, Hard Times, Breakout Pass, White Buffalo, Telefon, Love and Bullets, Death Hunt, Assassination and Messenger of Death.
    The titles indicate the nature of the films: lots of action, shooting, dead bodies. They were made on medium-size budgets, but Bronson was earning $1 million a picture before it was fashionable.
    His most controversial film came in 1974 with Death Wish. As an affluent, liberal architect, Bronson's life is shattered when young thugs kill his wife and rape his daughter. He vows to rid the city of such vermin, and his executions brought cheers from crime-weary audiences.
    The character's vigilantism brought widespread criticism, but Death Wish became one of the big moneymakers of the year. The controversy accelerated when Bernard Goetz shot youths he thought were threatening him in a New York subway.
    Bronson made three more Death Wish films, and in 1987 he defended them:
    "I think they provide satisfaction for people who are victimized by crime and look in vain for authorities to protect them. But I don't think people try to imitate that kind of thing."
    Bronson could be as taciturn in interviews as he appeared on the screen. He remained aloof from the Hollywood scene, once observing, "I have lots of friends and yet I don't have any."
    His first marriage was to Harriet Tendler, whom he met when both were fledgling actors in Philadelphia. They had two children before divorcing.
    In 1966 Bronson fell in love with the lovely blonde British actress Jill Ireland, who happened to be married to British actor David McCallum. Bronson reportedly told McCallum bluntly: "I'm going to marry your wife."
    The McCallums were divorced in 1967, and Bronson and Ireland married the following year. She co-starred in several of his films.
    The Bronsons lived in a grand Bel Air mansion with seven children: two by his previous marriage, three by hers and two of their own. They also spent time in a colonial farmhouse on 260 acres in West Windsor, Vt.
    Ireland lost a breast to cancer in 1984. She became a spokesperson for the American Cancer Society and wrote a bestselling book, Life Wish. She followed with Life Lines, in which she told of her struggle to rescue her 27-year-old son, Jason McCallum Bronson, from drug addiction. He died of an overdose in 1989, and she died of cancer a year later.
    Bronson is survived by his wife, Kim, six children and two grandchildren.

Jaxxx Guest
    oh gosh, i so loved Bronson, now he was hot.

A tribute to him was at the end of Kill Bill: Volume 2 in the credits. It says "R.I.P. Charles Bronson"

Danny62 Guest
    He was da man! I loved him in "Dirty Dozen"

Kathyf Guest
    I alwyas loved his movies.

GrinReaper Guest
    Did any of his charecters die in any other movies besides The Mechanic?

ComputerGuy Guest
    He was the original Chuck Norris. The Die Hard movies rocked as he killed the scum sucking slime gang bangers.

leevancleef Guest
    I had a crush on him and on James Coburn when i watched The great Escape for the first time

CCB72 Guest
    Those Death Wish movies were awesome....he kicked everyone's ass !

GODDESS6 Guest
    he flmed insian runner http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102116/ near where i live & i was offered to meet him, but my hubby thought it a hoax, so we didn't go, i was pissed the next day when our friends talked of their meeting with him & showed us pics they got to take w/ him~

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    He was the original Chuck Norris. The Die Hard movies rocked as he killed the scum sucking slime gang bangers.
    You mean Deathwish right?

Brue Swillis did the Diehard franchise.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

kimmer927 Guest
    got to meet him once. It was when his 1st wife was undergoing cancer treatment in Dallas and we walked into a deli and he was sitting at the end of the long counter by the cash register with HUGE sunglasses on. he was so cool, we told him we were sorry to hear about her and he was so gracious and really acted appreciative that someone cared enough not to ask for an autograph

johnbennett Guest
    Bronson lived in my state (Vermont) and there are stories about him showing up unexpectedly in various places- it was a tiny little town where he lived. He played a lot of golf at this course in the mountains. The whole area was really isolated and a good place to get away from it all.

I've been meaning to write him up for Find A Death, I have pictures of his farm in Vermont. There is some discrepancy about where he actually died- most sources say it was at Cedar Sinai in LA, others say that he died in Hanover NH at the big hospital by Dartmouth College. Does anyone have his death certificate?

Loved him in 10 to Midnight. Watched that movie the night before I moved onto my own apartment . Yikes.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I watched Deathwish V last night. I always say I will never marry again but if I met someone like him I think I could change my mind LOL I did was very surprised that he remarried again but I read that Jill's obsession with the kid that OD'd caused some problems in the marriage. Bronson wanted to cut him off from the $$ to get him cleaned up and she was sneaking money to him. Dunno just some crap that I read.

Charles Bronson

Is it true that the Death Wish movies are coming back, with Sylvester Stallone as the main character?

I'm not making this up!

-K.

TOTALLY THE COOLEST EVER! saw him in a store in Malibu once, i heard that voice from out of nowhere, and there he was! 'is this the day they go trick or treating...?' as it was near halloween and he/wife/gf were shopping...who else could say that and make it sound like a statement!
    pull the string!

IMDB trivia

Actor Dick Van Dyke received a lemon cake every Christmas from Bronson, who lived nearby in Malibu for 16 years.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    Actor Dick Van Dyke received a lemon cake every Christmas from Bronson, who lived nearby in Malibu for 16 years.
    Bet it was from Miss Grace's!

Hoodoo Guest
    I've always thought that Charles Bronson was the sexiest actor ever. I read all the books Jill Ireland wrote and they had some great stories in them!

My favorite one about Bronson was when he let his young daughter paint his toenails. Apparently he forgot all about it and went shoe shopping with his father-in-law later that day. He asked to try on a pair of sandals and when he took off his shoes to try them on, the conservative clerk was shocked and horrified. I guess he didn't offer any explanation for his painted toenails. Jill Ireland said in her book that Bronson never "explained."

harlequin_clown Guest
    I remember when I was 8 and my dad was upstairs doing his girlfriend...he left me and my brother downstairs to watch TV...we ended up on one of the deathwish movies and there was a big time sex scene....my dad must have "finished" early because he came bolting downstairs and wailed "Ohhh no you don't! Oh no you don't!" and quickly switched the channel. (This of course was before parental blocking)

I haven't seen a deathwish movie since. Hrmph.

harlequin_clown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Is it true that the Death Wish movies are coming back, with Sylvester Stallone as the main character?

I'm not making this up!

-K.
    I hope not. How about Matt Damon instead?

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    I've always thought that Charles Bronson was the sexiest actor ever. I read all the books Jill Ireland wrote and they had some great stories in them!

My favorite one about Bronson was when he let his young daughter paint his toenails. Apparently he forgot all about it and went shoe shopping with his father-in-law later that day. He asked to try on a pair of sandals and when he took off his shoes to try them on, the conservative clerk was shocked and horrified. I guess he didn't offer any explanation for his painted toenails. Jill Ireland said in her book that Bronson never "explained."
    My father has always been such a fan of his. I grew up with the Bronson love...this story made me laugh so hard! Me and my father had a moment exactly like this and still is my Dad's favorite story of my youth.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin_clown View Post
    I hope not. How about Matt Damon instead?
    I wish it wasn't true. Same with Conan...can you believe that, a remake of Conan???

DeathHag1 Guest

Charles Bronson

The guy has been dead for 5 years, and this is the first time I am hearing it....amazing...they have been showing all the "Death Wish" movies on tbs..he was good in the Death Wish movies...Dirty Dozen, etc, but he was great in "The Valachi Papers"..he played Joseph valachi, which was based on the true story of gangster Joseph Valachi

Lucy Furr Guest
    Here we go:

Every gunshot from the Deathwish movies (Part 1/2):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=86tyFMwj5Ow

Every gunshot from the Deathwish movies (Part 2/2):
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJTx73T3o80

There was one that was about 20 minutes long that was a splice up of the shootout scenes in all of the Death Movies sans music so you can hear his quips but I can't find it anywhere

Forever-27 Guest
    Always loved all the Deathwish films. People say that the sequels always are bad but every one of these films was great. I miss Bronson and his viligante justice. Walking the streets of New York standing up for the weak against street gangs

poppie Guest
    Charles Bronson - that says it all. What a man!!!

The eternal question that comes to mind whenever you watch the Death Wish Movies: Why in the Hell would anyone want to mess with a friend or family member of Charles Bronson...
    To all ne'er-do-well bad guys I tell you this, stay away from Mr. Bronson's family. It will only bring death, destruction, and sometimes the plague of Locust!

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by disco View Post
    Personally I liked him best in "Hard Times". His grave site is totally kool. Enough bout that.
    Yes would have to be one of my favourites as well was actually called "The Streetfighter" over here..

AaronVail Guest
    He plays an awesome character in my favourite movie, Once Upon a Time in the West. The entire cast is wonderful. Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Claudia Cardinale. It's a perfect movie (nevermind Once Upon a Time in America, this is Leone's masterpiece) from a different time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suUa4cOFO3E
    Last edited by AaronVail; 09-21-2008 at 07:38 PM.

my husband and i were in a drug store in malibu and we suddenly heard that familiar voice, it was near halloween and we heard theee voice 'is this the day they go trick or treating? ' lol then he 'eyed' us, i was too shocked to say a thing lmaooooo toooc oooooool!
    pull the string!

52. 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM

Charles Bronson was a big part of my childhood watching his movies with my Dad, loved him