Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Strange Addiction (A&E-Show)

Not Fade Away Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I believe it is called trichotillomania. Not everyone pulls out there hair and eats it. Some people with this problem just pull out there hair...sometimes till they are bald. Yes it sounds crazy, but someone in my family has this same problem.
    I chewed my hair when I was about 10 years old. I chewed the front pieces until they were white and broken. My father took me to a hairdresser to have it fixed and they thought he was abusing me and singeing my hair! I had to get it cut short to break myself of it. It was weird and I don't know why I started it but I'm glad I quit, to say the least.

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
    I chewed my hair when I was about 10 years old. I chewed the front pieces until they were white and broken. My father took me to a hairdresser to have it fixed and they thought he was abusing me and singeing my hair! I had to get it cut short to break myself of it. It was weird and I don't know why I started it but I'm glad I quit, to say the least.
    Eating hair can lead to some serious problems. This is a stomach shaped hairball, known as a bezoar (I LOVE that word).

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2007/11...-of-giant.html

I watched an epi about the woman who was addicted to rocks. She had collections in containers all over her house and outside. Oh, and another one on that epi about a woman addicted to cleaning. OMG. All she did was clean everything. Even when they went on vacation she would clean the hotel room.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Not Fade Away Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Cat Lady View Post
    Eating hair can lead to some serious problems. This is a stomach shaped hairball, known as a bezoar (I LOVE that word).

I just had to look Trichophagia up on Wiki. It appears most people with this pull out their hair and eat it, make a ritual of it. I just put the long pieces of my hair in my mouth and chewed. I didn't "eat" it. I still don't know why the fuck I started doing it, but it was clearly something similar to this. I'm all good now

I watched last night's episode - don't know if it was new or not - about the woman who's addiction is bleach (she BATHES in it!!!! WTF????) and the 19 who eats plastic. Alot of it. Something like 100 lbs a year....
    The bleach thing bothered me more than the plastic.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

I can't believe that women who ate her husbands ashes!! I missed the end, did she end up getting help and stop doing it or not? That was so disgusting, she really needed help.

I have the bleach episode recorded but I haven't watched it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I can't believe that women who ate her husbands ashes!! I missed the end, did she end up getting help and stop doing it or not? That was so disgusting, she really needed help.
    She ended up going into treatment, and wasn't allowed to take the ashes with her. If I was her mom, I would have ran off as soon as that hospital door shut behind her daughter and spread them ashes out to the winds!

Looks like a big ol' hairy turd!

The Lucky One Guest
    ashes ewwww I thought the eating rocks was bad and the adult trannie baby in the diapers! I <3 this show! It's like going to wal mart, no matter when i go, i always feel better about my own life! :~)

Thanks Aries!!

I missed the rocks one. How is that even possible?? How would you not break all your teeth out?

Flowergrrl Guest
    I agree with previous posts, the name of this show should be changed to 'My Strange Obsession'... Because the majority of these stories are based on obsessions, not addiction. The lady who sniffed gasoline is an example of a possible addiction. I really don't see how the heck she is even still alive, as with a few others.

Crazy Cat Lady, that photo is unreal... Unbelievable, and terrifying, it could get to that point. How the heck were they even able to eat?!!

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    Crazy Cat Lady, that photo is unreal... Unbelievable, and terrifying, it could get to that point. How the heck were they even able to eat?!!

According to what I read, she had lost a huge amount of weight before the medical folks got involved. What food she was able to get down wasn't properly digested and absorbed.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    This show is something else. Just when you think you can't be any more shocked by someones addiction and behavior, another episode comes up that totally blows your mind even more. I've been grossed out by a lot of the eating episodes, but the woman who was slowly eating her husband's cremains? There was like a cannibalistic feeling with this. So very disturbing. The look on the therapist face when the woman said she would kill herself if someone took away her husbands ashes was something else. Now the woman is not only in a treatment center without her husband's ashes, she is on a 24 hour watch. Again, it was one of the more disturbing episodes...and that's saying something with this show!

pvezz Guest
    I don't watch this show regularly, but I thought the tranny adult-baby was a total pain in the ass. She even PEES in her diapers??? ICK!!

DrDeath Guest

Meet the woman who can't stop eating her late husband's ashe

I have yet to see a thread on this one. I thought it was worth sharing....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ction-all.html

I'm not sure it would be to my taste- the aftertaste alone would put me off- but this is such a sad sad tale

I thought it strange at first and, well, I still do but I also felt a gut reaction to her pain. Grief affects people so profoundly. On some level I think I understand her.

There is a thread for the show she was on in the Entertainment forum. I was pretty shocked watching her. That is so gross!!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    I have yet to see a thread on this one. I thought it was worth sharing....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ction-all.html

I'm not sure it would be to my taste- the aftertaste alone would put me off- but this is such a sad sad tale
    At least she didn't snort them. I'm looking at you, Keith Richards! :-)

reminds me of a joke i heard when I was a wee lad.

3 women retrieve their husbands ashes from the crematorium, they all tell eachother what they plan to do with the ashes.

First woman: "I plan on sprinkling my husbands ashes over his favorite golf course, so that he can enjoy one last game"

Second woman: "I plan on sprinkling my husbands ashes over the atlantic, so he can spend more time in the ocean doing what he loved"

Third woman: "I plan on sprinkling my husbands ashes in the bowl of Chili I will be eating tonight, so that my husband can tear my ass up one last time"

Pryncis Guest
    So... she's eating ashes... but the ashes were once a person... does this make her a canibal now?

don't think so. Probably just a woman eating ashes, like if she enjoyed a tasty treat from the nearest ash tray.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    So... she's eating ashes... but the ashes were once a person... does this make her a canibal now?
    Technically, I think that makes her a cremainibal.

Djen Guest
    What's she going to do when they're all gone?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Maybe she's into recycling?

get remarried and hope for the worst

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy's Girl View Post
    This show is something else. Just when you think you can't be any more shocked by someones addiction and behavior, another episode comes up that totally blows your mind even more. I've been grossed out by a lot of the eating episodes, but the woman who was slowly eating her husband's cremains? There was like a cannibalistic feeling with this. So very disturbing. The look on the therapist face when the woman said she would kill herself if someone took away her husbands ashes was something else. Now the woman is not only in a treatment center without her husband's ashes, she is on a 24 hour watch. Again, it was one of the more disturbing episodes...and that's saying something with this show!
    I wonder what she's going to do when his ashes are gone. I didn't think after hours of, literally, being torched, there was much left of a human body after cremation.

It's very sad. It seems a much better resort to wear his clothes, or something, anything, else than this. I don't think there are any major health repercussions from eating ashes. But, I agree, it does have cannibalistic qualities.

According to what I read, she had lost a huge amount of weight before the medical folks got involved. What food she was able to get down wasn't properly digested and absorbed.
    It seems like hair would be digested, well, not digested (wrong word), but rather be able to pass through the intestines and OUT the pooper... Odd. I know there are things like nails and chewing gum that are stored in the appendix.

I wonder what she's going to do when his ashes are gone. I didn't think after hours of, literally, being torched, there was much left of a human body after cremation.

It's very sad. It seems a much better resort to wear his clothes, or something, anything, else than this. I don't think there are any major health repercussions from eating ashes. But, I agree, it does have cannibalistic qualities.

It seems like hair would be digested, well, not digested (wrong word), but rather be able to pass through the intestines and OUT the pooper... Odd. I know there are things like nails and chewing gum that are stored in the appendix.
    They said on the show she started with 6 pounds of cremains, and she had eaten a pound of it in 2 months. The thing they were most concerned about healthwise was the embalming fluid that would be left in the ashes, it can cause psychosis.

Crazy Cat Lady Guest

Some hair will pass out the GI tract, but some will stay in the stomach. People can get hair balls just like cats do. We just don't throw them up on the living room carpet!

What your mother said about not swallowing your gum because it would stay inside you forever? Not true. As a rule foreign objects don't lodge in the appendix. If the very small opening of the appendix does become blocked, appendicitis is the result.

If she doesn't get help she'll probably commit suicide, that's what it sounded like on the show. I think she actually wanted the help so she doesn't run out more than she was concerned about eating them.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Technically, I think that makes her a cremainibal.
    Thank you... I now have to clean coffee off my laptop!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    Thank you... I now have to clean coffee off my laptop!
    Your welcome - I make up words for a living, and I always aim to please.

I guess she could also be a cremainovore or maybe an ossiovore, but they just don't have same ring.

Wierdo just wouldn't be politically correct, would it? Maybe "nutritionally challenged"?

Flowergrrl Guest
    Some hair will pass out the GI tract, but some will stay in the stomach. People can get hair balls just like cats do. We just don't throw them up on the living room carpet!

What your mother said about not swallowing your gum because it would stay inside you forever? Not true. As a rule foreign objects don't lodge in the appendix. If the very small opening of the appendix does become blocked, appendicitis is the result.
    They said on the show she started with 6 pounds of cremains, and she had eaten a pound of it in 2 months. The thing they were most concerned about healthwise was the embalming fluid that would be left in the ashes, it can cause psychosis.
    Ok, I never knew they embalmed someone if they were going to be cremated... Whaaaaaah?! I need to inform a few people they won't be dodging embalming fluid by being cremated. I had NO idea.

Man, I wish I could see this episode!

Thanks for clearing that up Crazy Cat Lady! That's actually something I was thinking (and worried) about... Did people who had appendicitis chew and swallow their nails? I've been a major nail biter since I was a kid, and only recently (the past few years), have I stopped. My grandfather also told me the nails turned into worms inside you... I STILL would not quit.

Actually, I still can't say I've quit... I've stopped, but to definitely say I have quit?... No.

I don't know if they have to be cremated, but apparently he had been. Actually I will go ask in the "ask a death industry professional" thread if you are being cremated do you have to be embalmed.

I don't know if they have to be cremated, but apparently he had been. Actually I will go ask in the "ask a death industry professional" thread if you are being cremated do you have to be embalmed.
    You do in Georgia, apparently. They insisted on embalming before cremating my mother.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Is embalming necessary for cremation?

No. In most cases, it is your choice. It may depend on such factors as whether the family selected a service with a public viewing of the body, whether there is to be a funeral service, or whether there is refrigeration available. Embalming may also be necessary if the body is going to be transported by air or rail, or because of the length of time prior to the cremation.

http://www.nfda.org/planning-a-funer...html#embalming
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thanks for the info Cindy!

flowergrrl the people you know should be fine. This is the answer lisalouver gave on the death industry questions thread:

No.

I believe this to be true of all states, but anyone else chime in...

Embalming is to be conducted when there is going to be a public viewing. You absolutley have the option to be embalmed.

Many people choose direct cremation for many reasons. In this case there is no embalming and usually a memorial service is conducted with the cremains at the service.

Others choose to have a public viewing of the deceased in a casket and then be cremated. In this case, the deceased would have to be embalmed.

If choosing direct cremation, the immediate family members can view the deceased prior to cremation with no embalming required.

Hope this answers your question
    so this guy must have had a viewing, so they embalmed him. Your friends or family just won't be able to do that.

Djen Guest
    Maybe she's into recycling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    get remarried and hope for the worst
    You guys crack me up!

The Lucky One Guest
    I wonder what would happen if we mixed a few shows together and got this,

An adult tranny baby who puts ashes in his/her bottle/and teeths on fabric softner sheets and rocks! I think that would be pretty bomb! Must see TV

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I wonder what would happen if we mixed a few shows together and got this,

An adult tranny baby who puts ashes in his/her bottle/and teeths on fabric softner sheets and rocks! I think that would be pretty bomb! Must see TV
    Somewhere in this wide, wide world, a woman just went:
    "Hey, wait a minute, I dated that guy once. WTF!"

The Lucky One Guest
    Somewhere in this wide, wide world, a woman just went:
    "Hey, wait a minute, I dated that guy once. WTF!"
    you are so right! lol
    They met at the local Wal-Mart *cue the dueling banjos*

Watching the show right now. Seems as though the people with addictions are either really stupid or crappy actors reading from poorly written scripts. When confronted with the possible health repercussions of eating tape and nail polish their responses sound like Debra Wilsons Puerto Rican chick caharacter on Mad TV:
    "Oh my god! Really? I did not know that."
    A secret stash of scotch tape?
    I do admit Im intrigued by the ad for an upcoming ep featuring a woman who cant trim her finger or toenails and will probably watch it.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I don't get this show, I mean as I don't have the channel to watch it, but what it sounds like to me, the same way with a hoarder, there is something wrong here. Most I would think would need a doctors help. I admit I have my addictions, but nothing truly bizzare unless it is hanging around here as much as I have lately...lol A woman eatting her husbands ashes, now when did that become an addition? I would have thought she's got something going on and lost her mind at the death of losing her husband. My sister used to sleep walk for a period of time...scary a few times as she'd always want to go out the front door...who knows where she wanted to go after that but we'd just guide her back to bed and she'd be fine, no memory of it. Like I said, it doesn't sound like addictions to me...like if I collected Troll dolls and I have 5,000 already, buying more is just stupid and I would have to wonder what made you continue to collect Troll dolls.....(Thank goodness my unicorn stuff is all boxed up in the basement..lol)...I say medical but not a addition.

yeah, it's definitely a sickness, and they do address that. The woman with the ashes was considered an addiction because she could not stop doing it, even though at the rate she was going he was going to be gone in a few months, and that caused her great distress, but not enough distress to stop doing it. some of these people have completely flipped their lid. i too am amazed that many of them don't think what they are doing is hurting them, but some do, maybe just not the extent, because they have been fine so far. The lady who ate the comet cleaner though?? It had ruined her whole mouth and cost thousands of dollars in restorative dental work. I guess they are just in denial.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Comet cleaner!!! wha???

I watched a show that I thought was this one but I think it's actually Obsessions or something. One girl hates to poop so she gets in the shower after a deuce & scrubs her colon. Yes. With a toothbrush. Then she leaves the colon brush on a shelf in the shower. She scrubs waaay up inside her butt & has bled out many times. What confuses me, is she does this bc she feels so unclean, but she leaves a but toothbrush on the shelf. That one thing bothers me more than any of the rest!

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Comet cleaner!!! wha???

I watched a show that I thought was this one but I think it's actually Obsessions or something. One girl hates to poop so she gets in the shower after a deuce & scrubs her colon. Yes. With a toothbrush. Then she leaves the colon brush on a shelf in the shower. She scrubs waaay up inside her butt & has bled out many times. What confuses me, is she does this bc she feels so unclean, but she leaves a but toothbrush on the shelf. That one thing bothers me more than any of the rest!
    lol Ewww!!!! That is just revolting! Scrubbing her colon?? What the eff word?! Wow, that is just crazy.

KarmaKat Guest
    The guy who is in a relationship with his car seriously creeped me out.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidChrissy View Post
    lol Ewww!!!! That is just revolting! Scrubbing her colon?? What the eff word?! Wow, that is just crazy.

LOL "what the eff word" hahahaa

There are some other good ones too; oh & the colon girl was a very heavy smoker - that confused me too bc it would seem like she'd want to scrub her lungs, right??

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    LOL "what the eff word" hahahaa

There are some other good ones too; oh & the colon girl was a very heavy smoker - that confused me too bc it would seem like she'd want to scrub her lungs, right??
    lol I really try not to curse. That's just one way I get around it haha. Doesn't smoking kind of stimulate the need to poo? *shrug*

RaRaRamona Guest
    But she never ate anything that made her poop. She ate stuff that binder her up. made no sense to me at all. I'd want to get the runs so it'd come out easy 7 clean up easy. But what do I know? I'm semi normal.

I say "what the eff?" all the time LOL