Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving Death Hags!

I got two Happys, one for Thanksgiving and the other because it was also my birthday. No one wants birthday cake on Thanksgiving, well I did.

Everyone all set for Thanksgiving? I am! Just gotta go about a mile down the road to mom's

We don't do traditional turkey and such unless we feel like it. This year in fact, mom tells me we'll be thankful for bacon-wrapped filte mignon, loaded baked potatoes and assorted side dishes followed by ice cream and or cobbler. Nom, nom, nom

What about you guys? Will you be meeting relatives at the airport, fighting holiday traffic, sharing family favorites at the table? Putting up family/guests at your place? Whatcha got planned this year?

PurrPurr Guest

Happy Thanksgiving 2012, hags!

Dinner this year will consist of the following with the man and his papa:

Turkey breast (because no one likes dark meat, so no point making a whole turkey)
    Stuffing
    Candied Yams
    Au Gratin Potatoes
    Baked Apples
    Green Beans
    Pumpkin Pie
    Pumpkin Spice Povitica
    Pumpkin Spice Coffee, Pepsi, or Home Brewed Spiced Tea

Sissy's kids, sons in law, and grandbabies are celebrating at their dad's house this year. We were both invited last year, I think it was, but not this year. And Sissy allows as how she wouldnot go if she was invited. So she's mad that her girls had rather be with their dad and that honk-nosed Zezabel he's married to.

So Sissy and I are going to Golden Corral Thanksgiving Day. Then on Saturday her youngest daughter, Brittany, is cooking for the two of us and her sister's fam and our youngest nephew. (I guess Baby is cooking for her oldest and his fam. IDK. We mended fences, but I won't have anything to do with her sorry ass of an oldest son and his skank wife for reasons I refuse to go into. Said sorry ass and skank may have already moved to Nashville, though--I already warned RaRaRamona to RUN! Lol.) We all live about 10 miles apart now. So that's cool. If she doesn't have dressing I'm just gonna cry. Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without our family tradition of onion-sage cornbread dressing. Sissy has offered to show her how but she refuses to let her mom do anything but come over and get the bird started. I'm baking my world famous scratch vanilla cake with milk chocolate frosting, the recipe of which I inherited from m'granny. I've already mentioned that cake several times on the board, but it cannot be said too much. Lol.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

pwem Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving to all the American hags! May your long weekend be filled with food, love, and a grateful heart.

Rosebud666 Guest
    It's mushroom stuffing for me tonight (just stuffing thank you), and steak pie (no kidneys for me) tomorrow, plus some office work and cleaning up the apartment for a weekend date.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving!.......and may everyone have a great weekend wherever you are in the world!

Happy Thanksgiving e1 . I don't really celebrate it anymore since my mom died. Hard to get into holidays. But starting to kinda maybe get back into the holidays

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on findadeath that's in the U.S. I'm spending the day with my familly and we're doing turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and apple pie.

It's nice to hear that you're slowly getting back into the holiday spirit, Piggy

Sissy just confirmed Brittany is indeed making onion-sage dressing! And cornbread souffle! Double YaY!

On another note, I wish Golden Corral wouldn't put Vegall-like shit in their dressing. It's good but it looks like somebody puked it up.

Karen isn't bringing anything because she is still recovering from her C-Section. Got me a new great nephew this year!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InternetCrazy20 View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on findadeath that's in the U.S. I'm spending the day with my familly and we're doing turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and apple pie.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to the greatest forum on the web!

Happy Thanksgiving! Will be hanging with my brothers and uncle and aunty, play horseshoes, shoot some darts and tell bad jokes!

And eat until I sweat!

Hope you all enjoy the day and find many ways to feel thankful. We ( husband and two kids and 1 dog) reserve Thanksgiving as the one holiday we just stay home . I'm making a big dinner with turkey, dressing, gravy, a cranberry waldorf salad, sweet potato casserole, rolls, and pumpkin and chocolate pies. It's a slow, relaxed day...we eat at no set time...just when the turkey is ready (pretty much depends on when I get up and get it in the oven) and often we're all in our pajamas. One of my favorite days of the year!
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

That's how hubs and I did it when I wasn't going to a family member's home. But he did the cooking, grilling T-bone, sausages, potatoes, and scallops, while I made the tossed salad and scratch Thousand Island dressing. We seldom had a sweet. I might buy a sweet potato or pecan pie some years.

Just talked to Brittany on FB. She asked me to bring my turkey platter and to give her my scratch dressing recipe so she could compare it to the one she has.

Now I'm starving. But no snacks for me. Got to wait until tomorrow. We are leaving c11am to try and beat the crowd at Golden Corral. I prefer Cracker Barrel and there is one in this city but Sissy doesn't like the highway it's on. I sure hope she doesn't have the blues. I got enough holiday blues for both of us.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

hope everyone has a great day! we had a small din din last week with my parents. tomorrow the step son is coming with the live-in.
    and I work at three. (time and a half, cannot complain)
    maybe I should try a poll.
    I LOVE green bean cassarole!
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

[QUOTE=phineas117;1333612]hope everyone has a great day! we had a small din din last week with my parents. tomorrow the step son is coming with the live-in.
    and I work at three. (time and a half, cannot complain)
    maybe I should try a poll.
    I LOVE green bean cassarole![/QUOTE] Man, so do I! Sissy has to go into work at Walmart at 4pm and work until 1am Friday. It takes her roughly an hour to get home. So she won't be here until like 2am. Then she has to be back to work for Black Friday at 10am Geez. Better her than me and she gets no extra pay that I know of.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Happy Turkey Day to all.

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Hope you all enjoy the day and find many ways to feel thankful. We ( husband and two kids and 1 dog) reserve Thanksgiving as the one holiday we just stay home . I'm making a big dinner with turkey, dressing, gravy, a cranberry waldorf salad, sweet potato casserole, rolls, and pumpkin and chocolate pies. It's a slow, relaxed day...we eat at no set time...just when the turkey is ready (pretty much depends on when I get up and get it in the oven) and often we're all in our pajamas. One of my favorite days of the year!
    Sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving day, homes!!! Enjoy your family, food, and jammies!!

I love green bean casserole, too! And corn pudding!

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Sissy's kids, sons in law, and grandbabies are celebrating at their dad's house this year. We were both invited last year, I think it was, but not this year. And Sissy allows as how she wouldnot go if she was invited. So she's mad that her girls had rather be with their dad and that honk-nosed Zezabel he's married to.

So Sissy and I are going to Golden Corral Thanksgiving Day. Then on Saturday her youngest daughter, Brittany, is cooking for the two of us and her sister's fam and our youngest nephew. (I guess Baby is cooking for her oldest and his fam. IDK. We mended fences, but I won't have anything to do with her sorry ass of an oldest son and his skank wife for reasons I refuse to go into. Said sorry ass and skank may have already moved to Nashville, though--I already warned RaRaRamona to RUN! Lol.) We all live about 10 miles apart now. So that's cool. If she doesn't have dressing I'm just gonna cry. Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without our family tradition of onion-sage cornbread dressing. Sissy has offered to show her how but she refuses to let her mom do anything but come over and get the bird started. I'm baking my world famous scratch vanilla cake with milk chocolate frosting, the recipe of which I inherited from m'granny. I've already mentioned that cake several times on the board, but it cannot be said too much. Lol.
    Wanna see NASA's recipe for onion-sage cornbread dressing? Of course you do - you probably helped pay for it.
    Just make sure to dial back the seasoning a little if you try this at home. Food tends to taste kind of bland in space - especially it has been freeze-dried.

A typical serving weighs approx. 145 g after baking and 50 g after freeze-drying - except in microgravity, where it weighs virtually nothing. But of course, you have to get it up there first.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/s..._dressing.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Wanna see NASA's recipe for onion-sage cornbread dressing? Of course you do - you probably helped pay for it.
    Just make sure to dial back the seasoning a little if you try this at home. Food tends to taste kind of bland in space - especially it has been freeze-dried.

A typical serving weighs approx. 145 g after baking and 50 g after freeze-drying - except in microgravity, where it weighs virtually nothing. But of course, you have to get it up there first.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/s..._dressing.html
    Wow!

So we walked into Golden Corral just before 11am. It was packed and got worse. I mean the lines were backed up at all the food stations and there was a traffic jam at the register. I looked around and said to Sissy:

Me: This place is giving me the heebie jeebies.
    Sissy: Why?
    Me: No latinos, blacks, Asians, East Indians, nothing but white bread! Including the wait people!
    Sissy: There's an Asian family in a corner over there.
    Me: Oh, now I feel better. Not!

I haven't been in an all white establishment since the 60s. If I had been in Forsyth County I wouldn't have been as shocked. Forsyth is the county when whites lined the streets and shouted at Oprah "Go home, N@#$%! Friendly!

To add insult to injury, at the table beside me sat a man so fat his wife or whoeva had to fetch all his food for him. I mean, yeah, I'm fat, but my belly does not hand below m'knees. Yes, knees.

Besides the food, the best part? I walked way to the back for a table, got my plate and such, then started walking around the food stations, then walked all the way back to the restroom and back to our table and then out the front door to her car, which was parked way off on the right side. And for the first time in more than a year my back DIDN'T hurt so that I didn't think I was going to make it to a chair. It was just a mite uncomfortable! WaaaaaaaaaaaaHoooooooooooo! I iz getting stronger!
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-22-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Gabe's turkey butt aka my 10 month old great nephew. Haha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GABE'S TURKEY BUTT.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	44426
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My mom is sick and my dad wants me and the spouse to go to Golden Corral instead of cooking. I would rather eat a bullet. Nothing more American than watching people gorge themselves to the point of vomiting in public. I never understood the appeal of buffets.

RebelRocker Guest
    Happy thankgiving my fellow death hags!

Honey, I paid over $15 for the same food I always eat there. They hiked it up 3 or 4 dollars for Thanksgiving. And I had to endure sappy white gal wait persons putting their arms over my shoulders asking me if I needed anything else.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving, yinz hags!

Beautiful day here in the low 60's, so I didn't waste time putting up the outside Christmas decorations. The man gave me a "WTF are you doing?" look, but I usually do start putting up stuff Thanksgiving night anyway. Not often we 'Burgh people can celebrate Thanksgiving in short sleeves and a window open.

The man's dad is a hoot. He's had me laughing practically all day. I asked him if he was going to the Black Friday sales.

"Hell, no! I may be getting old, but getting killed by an angry mob ain't my idea of passing! I also want to live long enough to see my boy turn 40!"

Papa also had this to say:

"Sometimes it's fun to be old. You can do stupid things and get away with them a lot easier!"

Case in point:

Last edited by PurrPurr; 11-22-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Ilmatar Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving!

My hubs is at work until it's 11 pm here, so we're cooking a big dinner tomorrow. Here's our Thanksgiving menu, prepared with Swedish ingredients so I might have to cut some corners here or there - if it sounds like it doesn't go well together, please tell me!

Green salad with pistachio nuts and dried cranberries, vinaigrette dressing
    Deviled eggs
    Turkey with stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Cranberry jelly
    Cornbread

So I'm going to bake. Should I never report back how that one worked out, ummm... You know. I probably set the city on fire. On the subject of cornbread, never tasted it, how do you eat it? Meaning, Cindy's been talking about dressing for cornbread? Whaaaat... I thought it was just, you know, bread!

Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilmatar View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving!

My hubs is at work until it's 11 pm here, so we're cooking a big dinner tomorrow. Here's our Thanksgiving menu, prepared with Swedish ingredients so I might have to cut some corners here or there - if it sounds like it doesn't go well together, please tell me!

Green salad with pistachio nuts and dried cranberries, vinaigrette dressing
    Deviled eggs
    Turkey with stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Green bean casserole
    Cranberry jelly
    Cornbread

So I'm going to bake. Should I never report back how that one worked out, ummm... You know. I probably set the city on fire. On the subject of cornbread, never tasted it, how do you eat it? Meaning, Cindy's been talking about dressing for cornbread? Whaaaat... I thought it was just, you know, bread!

Oh God, what have I gotten myself into?!
    No no no! You bake the cornbread first, THEN you crumble some of it up and stuff it in your turkey. Voila: dressing (or stuffing, whichever you prefer)!
    But let Cindy tell you more. She's from the South and knows about cornbread. I'm just an ignorant damn Yankee.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 11-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Ilmatar Guest
    Whaaaat?! But I have a recipe for stuffing that requires Challah bread, which we naturally don't have, so I bought a loaf that seemed about the same.

I so knew it, should never have tried this... All we've done for Thanksgiving before is turkey filé with cranberry sauce, mash, and green beans. Damn it.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilmatar View Post
    Whaaaat?! But I have a recipe for stuffing that requires Challah bread, which we naturally don't have, so I bought a loaf that seemed about the same.

I so knew it, should never have tried this... All we've done for Thanksgiving before is turkey filé with cranberry sauce, mash, and green beans. Damn it.
    Well, stuffing/dressing is basically just a savory bread pudding. You can use just about any kind of bread you want to use.

Just don't put salad dressing on your cornbread.

It's cornbread dressed up, actually.

Preheat over at 325 degrees

1. Bake turkey, set aside (if you are going to use it's broth in your dressing, if not, skip this step.)

2. Bake cornbread--enough so that it will fill a sheet cake pan, set aside to cool

3. Mince onlions, sautee in butter until transparent

4. Crumble cornbread into bowl, add minced onions, and the broth--either from your bird or canned--to the consistance you wish--not too dry and not too wet.

5. You can added chopped celery but we don't.

5. Add sage to taste. I keep adding it throughout the mixing process until it tastes just right and I shout "THAT'S DRESSING!"

6. Pour into your pan and back 30 minutes.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Ilmatar Guest
    Miraculously I managed to cook a great dinner, so a big thanks to you people!

Had our first left overs today. We made turkey paninis. I took turkey, bacon, avocado with mayo and spicy mustard and covered with cheddar. It was nice.

Wendy A. Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving, yinz hags!

Beautiful day here in the low 60's, so I didn't waste time putting up the outside Christmas decorations. The man gave me a "WTF are you doing?" look, but I usually do start putting up stuff Thanksgiving night anyway. Not often we 'Burgh people can celebrate Thanksgiving in short sleeves and a window open.

The man's dad is a hoot. He's had me laughing practically all day. I asked him if he was going to the Black Friday sales.

"Hell, no! I may be getting old, but getting killed by an angry mob ain't my idea of passing! I also want to live long enough to see my boy turn 40!"

Papa also had this to say:

"Sometimes it's fun to be old. You can do stupid things and get away with them a lot easier!"

Case in point:

^^^^My husband laughed his ass off at that!^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    Had our first left overs today. We made turkey paninis. I took turkey, bacon, avocado with mayo and spicy mustard and covered with cheddar. It was nice.
    I didn't get no stinkin leftovers. Lol. My mama used to make what I called turkey stew. She combinded leftover turkey, dressing, and giblet gravy into a pot and simmered it until hot. I hated it as a kid but grew to love it later in life. I miss her doing that. Hell, she was a big old pain in the ass, but I miss her sooooo.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest
    Been picking at leftovers the last few days. My mother used to fry the leftover sweet potatoes. Had some of those today..noms!

We pull the first edition out of it's sleeve every Thanksgiving and give it a listen. Happy Thanksgiving hags!

Mammy Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I am thankful for the many people here whose friendship means so much to me and hope everyone has a wonderful day!

PurrPurr Guest
    Happy Turkey Day!!!

This year's menu:

Roasted turkey breast
    Stuffing
    Candied yams
    Mashed potatoes
    Jellied cranberry sauce
    Baked apples (w/whipped cream)
    Pumpkin pie
    Cream cheese balls w/crushed walnuts
    Spiced pumpkin coffee
    Pepsi

In contrast to last year's Thanksgiving being in the low 60's, it's freezing outside this year! Temps never got out of the 20's in spite of it being a sunny day.
    Oh, and the Christmas decorations are up.

Happy Thanksgiving all my friends!! been sipping on the vodka, i better stop HAHA!

Wendy A. Guest
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm thankful for so many things, and this site and all my friends here are in my blessings.

Purr Purr, did your cat wear that willingly? That's adorable! If I put something like that on one of mine, they would just fall over and probably start drooling everywhere.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    Purr Purr, did your cat wear that willingly? That's adorable! If I put something like that on one of mine, they would just fall over and probably start drooling everywhere.
    I wish that was my cat. No, if I tried something like that to any of my house tigers, they'd draw blood. I found that picture on Pinterest and thought it was cute.

Wendy A. Guest
    I wish that was my cat. No, if I tried something like that to any of my house tigers, they'd draw blood. I found that picture on Pinterest and thought it was cute.
    hahaha! yeah, I'd probably get tore the hell up too if I tried that on one of mine. That is a cute pic. I wish I could dress mine up. lol

Scalloped corn is not too bad..

PurrPurr Guest
    Someone posted this on Facebook and I about fell off the chair laughing...

I hope all those celebrating had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    I am the king of all things stupid!