Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warren Zevon

cachluv Guest

Warren Zevon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaDr...eature=related

Warren Zevon was diagnosed with late-stage, inoperable lung cancer in September 2002. He was guest on David Letterman's show a month later. This video (above) is one of the saddest things I've ever seen involving someone who's still alive. What a brave man....

He was the first musical guest on 'Late Night' and the only guest who ever had the whole show to himself as a guest where he spoke of his terminal cancer and performed several of his songs.

---Warren Zevon, who wrote and sang the rock hit Werewolves of London and was among the wittiest and most original of a broad circle of singer-songwriters to emerge from Los Angeles in the 1970s, died at 56.

Zevon died Sunday of lung cancer at his home.
    Zevon faced death with the same dark sense of humor found in much of his music, including songs like I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Life'll Kill Ya and Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.
    Zevon said he "chose a certain path and lived like Jim Morrison and lived 30 more years. You make choices and you have to live with the consequences."
    He released his first album, Wanted — Dead or Alive, to little notice in 1969, but gained attention in the '70s by writing a string of popular songs for Linda Ronstadt, including Poor, Poor Pitiful Me, Carmelita and Hasten Down the Wind.
    His next two albums, 1976's Warren Zevon and 1978's Excitable Boy, followed those songs with darkly humorous tales of prom-date rapists; headless, gun-toting soldiers of fortune; and werewolves who drank pina coladas at singles bars and were particular about their hair.
    They cemented Zevon's reputation as one of rock music's most politically incorrect lyricists, giving him a lifelong cult following that included gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura and Late Show host David Letterman, who provided backing vocals on Hit Somebody, Zevon's 2001 elegy to a professional hockey goon who longs to be a goal-scoring hero.
    "I always like to have violent lyrics and violent music," Zevon told The Associated Press in 1990. "The knowledge of death and fear of death informs my existence. It's a safe, kind of cheerful way of dealing with that issue."
    Other admirers included Bob Dylan, whom Zevon cited as one of his principal songwriting influences and who performed on his 1987 album Sentimental Hygiene. Still another was Bruce Springsteen, who co-wrote Jeannie Needs a Shooter, Zevon's tale of a lover shot to death by a woman's jealous father.
    Not that all of his music was dark and violent. His oveure contained some straight-out comedy as well, including Mr. Bad Example, The Hula Hula Boys and Gorilla You're a Desperado. The latter told the tale of a Los Angeles Zoo ape who escapes by locking a yuppie in his place and going off to live in the man's apartment, only to end up depressed and divorced.
    His compositional style reflected a number of genres, from hard-driving rock to folk, as well as classical, polka and other influences. In his final months, he summoned the energy to complete a last album, The Wind, released in August. It includes the poignant Keep Me in Your Heart, a cranky Disorder in the House and a remake of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
    Zevon, born in Chicago to Russian immigrant parents, moved to Los Angeles in the 1960s, making a living writing jingles for television commercials. He also composed the song She Quit Me Man for the movie Midnight Cowboy. He was just out of his teens when he went to work for the Everly Brothers, first as a pianist and later as their band leader.

Memorable Quotes--

"It would be a shame if I didn't make it to see the next James Bond movie."

(Commenting on his terminal illness): "You've gotta remember, it's not morbid to me. I know the hearse is parked at the curb and the motor is running. The thing is, I'm still trying to be cheery about it."

"I guess I made sort of a tactical error by not going to the doctor's in twenty years. Just one of those phobias that didn't pay off."

"Enjoy Every Sandwich"

ScottyMonger Guest
    Send lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan!

Kathyf Guest
    I saw that Letterman what a brave guy.

cachluv Guest
    I'm not a "cryer" but that video made me cry awhile ago

cachluv Guest
    Notice also, his wife of 26 years died 8 months after he did. Breast cancer took her, I wonder if he even knew?

Death sure is fucked up.
    Last edited by cachluv; 11-19-2007 at 10:47 PM.

Kathyf Guest
    Very Sad

deathybrad Guest
    I guess I didn't realize he'd left us. I get most of my death news from findadeath, he's not in the directory, right?

Kathyf Guest
    I don't believe he is I only knew cause I saw him on Letterman that night.

I saw that show too. There's also a PBS documentary out there that he made chronicling his time from when he learned of his illness to his death, funeral and remembrances of those who knew him. Every time I hear one of his songs, I think of it. Today it was Werewolves of London cranking from our car stereo as I ran errands.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i love warren, i have a song, from when i don't know, but he sings "my shit's fucked up"~ i love that song~

"I heard Woodrow Wilson's guns...Vera Cruz was dying...".

I loved Vera Cruz and "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner".

Warren certainly had a unique perspective...I miss his wit.

Jim

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Read his book "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."...very good read

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    Read his book "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead."...very good read
    I read that too. Pretty good book. It's a shame he was living in his own filth there for a while. Sad.

CCB72 Guest
    Growing up, the only song I remember vividly was Werewolves of London. Can you guys recommend further listening songs ? I do remember that Letterman too. It was sad and very brave.

God bless him. Rest in peace Warren!

dailyvault Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CCB72 View Post
    Growing up, the only song I remember vividly was Werewolves of London. Can you guys recommend further listening songs ? I do remember that Letterman too. It was sad and very brave.
    I don't remember the album it's from, but "Detox Mansion" is a great song.

My suggestion would be to pick up the live disc "Learning To Flinch" - an all-acoustic disc that , IMHO, is a great starting point if one is just getting into Zevon's work. He whips out a guitar lick during "Boom Boom Mancini" that made my jaw drop in awe.

ErikaFL Guest
    Didn't he die the day after his last album was released ? I remember thinking he was so brave, rather then try to fight his illness and live with despair he chose to live what time he had left to the fullest, enjoying his family and doing what he loved - creating music.

Erika

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I love them all. "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" is a family favorite!

I remember watching that show with Letterman and thinking how sad it must be for his friends and family. I can't say I was a big fan but I did like what little music of his I've heard.

ShellBell Guest
    I love Warren! I remember my uncle bringing over the Excitable Boy LP when I was like 5 or 6, late 70s. You know, the album with that pic of the gun sitting on top of the dinner plate. Love it. I grew up on great music -Gerry Rafferty, Elton John, James Taylor etc, but "Werewolves of London" and that album was my favorite. Everytime I hear his music, it takes me back to my childhood. And that's a cool childhood memory to have!

I have listened to Warren's music for years and happened to catch that episode of Letterman when it first aired, by chance. I was so happy that they honored Warren in this way.

Favorites: Roland, When Johnny Strikes Up the Band, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Mohammed's Radio, Werewolves
    Last edited by ShellBell; 12-06-2007 at 09:24 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Loved the guy. Having a warped sense of humor and life myself, I always identified with him. Found this article a couple minutes ago. It's from the current (I think) Rolling Stone interview with David Letterman. I think I have something in my eye...

[SIZE=2] In the Rolling Stone article, Letterman discusses guests including Madonna, Oprah Winfrey and Howard Stern, with the most moving remarks about musician Warren Zevon, who appeared on "Late Show" shortly before his 2003 death from cancer.
    Letterman recalled his "heartbreaking" meeting with Zevon in a dressing room after the show.
    "Here's a guy who had months to live and we're making small talk. And as we're talking, he's taking his guitar strap and hooking it, wrapping it around, then he puts the guitar into the case and he flips the snaps on the case and says, 'Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it.' And I just started sobbing.
    "He was giving me the guitar that he always used on the show. I felt like, 'I can't be in this movie, I didn't get my lines.' That was very tough," Letterman said.
    [/SIZE]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Man that guy was cool...Cooler than I will ever be...

Noreen Guest
    I dunno, howDID, you are pretty cool...

I loved Warren, he was brilliant! I saw him once in Chicago, he was still drinking at the time and almost fell off his piano. This was right before rehab, of course. He really had a case of OCD too. What a voice and what a writer. I miss him and will keep a piece of him in my heart everday. I need to read that book though.

howDID, you are cool as shit.

I never heard of Warren...actually, he does look familiar, but I have no clue why. RIP Warren.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    I like how Kid Rock used Warrens werewolves song in his summer hit "All Summer Long" - Great song - course Sweet Home Alabama is used in here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7T8CRC4TI

Elizabeth Guest

Warren

I always liked Warren Zevon, but his appearance on Letterman was heart-breaking.....check out his song "Keep Me In Your Heart For A While" from his last album--I dare you not to cry.....

Noreen Guest
    cry every time I hear it

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    I loved Warren, he was brilliant! I saw him once in Chicago, he was still drinking at the time and almost fell off his piano. This was right before rehab, of course. He really had a case of OCD too. What a voice and what a writer. I miss him and will keep a piece of him in my heart everday. I need to read that book though.
    OMG, I was just gonna post about the same thing! I saw him at the Riviera in the late '70s I think and if I remember correctly, he did fall--all the roadies went running over to gather him up. Maybe we were at the same concert, or maybe he just fell a lot back then?

I agree he was a brilliant, funny, sarcastic lyricist and man. As sad as it was to see him go, it was no surprise that he approached death with the same grace and humor he displayed in life.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

BTW, this is a great one to listen to when you've had a few too many and feel like cranking the stereo and singing/screaming along. Not that I've ever done that myself, of course.

Well, I've seen all there is to see
    And I've heard all they have to say
    I've done everything I wanted to do . . .
    I've done that too
    And it ain't that pretty at all
    Ain't that pretty at all
    So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall
    'Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all

RIP, Warren.

He had all his shit together when he died, affairs organized etc etc.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

soonerpimp Guest
    [quote=cindyt;405324]
    howDID, you are cool as shit

I could not agree more!

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I like how Kid Rock used Warrens werewolves song in his summer hit "All Summer Long" - Great song - course Sweet Home Alabama is used in here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7T8CRC4TI
    Oh Lisa I was really annoyed by Kid rock doing that! I thought kid rock was just messing things up because he wasnt able to write his own song!

cherryghost Guest
    Speaking of rock stars who fall of chairs... I wasnt there but apparently Marc Bolan fell of his stool at a concert in Sydney in the 70's. New thread anyone game or with the time to research! Id love to start the thread but oh well Ill post it now with a very sketchy outline... off I go!

I loved Warrens' music...very unique.

Displaying my ignorance; I heard the song linked below on the radio once or twice in the 80's; and I thought it was Warren; just because it "sounded" like something he would write.

Don't mean to go OT; but I thought this WAS Warren until just now; and now I have to do a bit of research on this guy...for when the time comes to post a thread about him here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

does anyone remember that VH1 show that covered him recording his last album? i thougth it was pretty cool.

off topic....HowDID, you rock.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Oh Lisa I was really annoyed by Kid rock doing that! I thought kid rock was just messing things up because he wasnt able to write his own song!
    I usually can't stomach Kid, but I like that song!! Maybe it is just because it reminds me of what I was doing in 1989 (he and I are 2 years apart in age) and because I love Sweet Home Alabama.

But yea, a lot of people don't like the song!

died 5 years ago today. rip.

pvezz Guest
    Damn; the video link doesn't work anymore..

ratkin638 Guest
    One interesting thing to note: Warren Zevon and George Harrison were both dying in roughly the same time period, each had terminal cancer, each was well aware that the end was coming, and each chose to spend his final months preparing one last album.

For real Zevon fans, check around for an album by The Hindu Love Gods. It was just re-released last month in a budget release (i.e. about $12). Hindu Love Gods was a one-off project that consisted of the 3 instrumentalists from R.E.M., with Warren Zevon singing. The repertoire is old material (their version of Prince's "Raspberry Baret" is a classic).

To put in math terms, "R.E.M. - Stipe + Zevon = Hindu Love Gods"

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post

To put in math terms, "R.E.M. - Stipe + Zevon = Hindu Love Gods"
    Thanks for that!

I will be checking out Hindu Love Gods.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Thumbs up

Ditto, thanks!

suicide_blonde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I hate it! Zevon is sacred and Kid Rock sucks ass hugely. I was so pissed the first time I heard it on the radio, thinking it was my beloved Werewolves and it was that shithead instead.

I can't stand Kid Rock, if you can't tell.

TheLazenby Guest
    Nice to see I'm not the only one pissed over Kid Rock... I'm not even that familiar with Warren's work, and I still thought stealing his song was tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
    Nice to see I'm not the only one pissed over Kid Rock... I'm not even that familiar with Warren's work, and I still thought stealing his song was tasteless.
    I like some of Kid Rock's music...but how did this whole "sampling" thing get started in the first place?

It's one thing to do a "cover" version of someone else's song; but why appropriate parts of it to enhance your own?

It's like they didn't have enough original material for a complete song; so they borrow parts of someone else's.

I guess it's O.K. if the original artist approves; but I don't generally care for it. I haven't heard Kid doing Warren; seems like completely divergent styles on the surface.

Cayley Guest

Keep Me in Your Heart For A While

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I always liked Warren Zevon, but his appearance on Letterman was heart-breaking.....check out his song "Keep Me In Your Heart For A While" from his last album--I dare you not to cry.....

That was the song that my dad wanted us to play at his wake last December. We did.
    The line that gets me is "these wheels keep turning but they're running out of steam". It reminds me of when he used to ride his Harley and then he just got to the point where he couldn't ride it anymore.

I added my dad to Find a Grave. His name is Richard Dale Joy, Jr. if anyone wants to see his little spot on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayley View Post
    That was the song that my dad wanted us to play at his wake last December. We did.
    The line that gets me is "these wheels keep turning but they're running out of steam". It reminds me of when he used to ride his Harley and then he just got to the point where he couldn't ride it anymore.

I added my dad to Find a Grave. His name is Richard Dale Joy, Jr. if anyone wants to see his little spot on the internet.
    I'm sorry for your loss, Cayley.

Welcome here.

You Tube link is broken

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaDr...eature=related

Warren Zevon was diagnosed with late-stage, inoperable lung cancer in September 2002. He was guest on David Letterman's show a month later. This video (above) is one of the saddest things I've ever seen involving someone who's still alive. What a brave man....

He was the first musical guest on 'Late Night' and the only guest who ever had the whole show to himself as a guest where he spoke of his terminal cancer and performed several of his songs.

---Warren Zevon, who wrote and sang the rock hit Werewolves of London and was among the wittiest and most original of a broad circle of singer-songwriters to emerge from Los Angeles in the 1970s, died at 56.

Zevon died Sunday of lung cancer at his home.
    Zevon faced death with the same dark sense of humor found in much of his music, including songs like I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Life'll Kill Ya and Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead.
    Zevon said he "chose a certain path and lived like Jim Morrison and lived 30 more years. You make choices and you have to live with the consequences."
    He released his first album, Wanted â?? Dead or Alive, to little notice in 1969, but gained attention in the '70s by writing a string of popular songs for Linda Ronstadt, including Poor, Poor Pitiful Me, Carmelita and Hasten Down the Wind.
    His next two albums, 1976's Warren Zevon and 1978's Excitable Boy, followed those songs with darkly humorous tales of prom-date rapists; headless, gun-toting soldiers of fortune; and werewolves who drank pina coladas at singles bars and were particular about their hair.
    They cemented Zevon's reputation as one of rock music's most politically incorrect lyricists, giving him a lifelong cult following that included gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson, former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura and Late Show host David Letterman, who provided backing vocals on Hit Somebody, Zevon's 2001 elegy to a professional hockey goon who longs to be a goal-scoring hero.
    "I always like to have violent lyrics and violent music," Zevon told The Associated Press in 1990. "The knowledge of death and fear of death informs my existence. It's a safe, kind of cheerful way of dealing with that issue."
    Other admirers included Bob Dylan, whom Zevon cited as one of his principal songwriting influences and who performed on his 1987 album Sentimental Hygiene. Still another was Bruce Springsteen, who co-wrote Jeannie Needs a Shooter, Zevon's tale of a lover shot to death by a woman's jealous father.
    Not that all of his music was dark and violent. His oveure contained some straight-out comedy as well, including Mr. Bad Example, The Hula Hula Boys and Gorilla You're a Desperado. The latter told the tale of a Los Angeles Zoo ape who escapes by locking a yuppie in his place and going off to live in the man's apartment, only to end up depressed and divorced.
    His compositional style reflected a number of genres, from hard-driving rock to folk, as well as classical, polka and other influences. In his final months, he summoned the energy to complete a last album, The Wind, released in August. It includes the poignant Keep Me in Your Heart, a cranky Disorder in the House and a remake of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door.
    Zevon, born in Chicago to Russian immigrant parents, moved to Los Angeles in the 1960s, making a living writing jingles for television commercials. He also composed the song She Quit Me Man for the movie Midnight Cowboy. He was just out of his teens when he went to work for the Everly Brothers, first as a pianist and later as their band leader.

Memorable Quotes--

"It would be a shame if I didn't make it to see the next James Bond movie."

(Commenting on his terminal illness): "You've gotta remember, it's not morbid to me. I know the hearse is parked at the curb and the motor is running. The thing is, I'm still trying to be cheery about it."

"I guess I made sort of a tactical error by not going to the doctor's in twenty years. Just one of those phobias that didn't pay off."

"Enjoy Every Sandwich"
    Post again please
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jackalope Guest
    Here's a link to part 1 of Warren's last Letterman appearance. The sound is out of synch but is OK on the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hl9T...eature=related

I saw him perform many times in the 80s and early 90s, always loved his style, his wit, his artistic soul. RIP

Jackalope Guest

Sept 26 is Meso Awareness Day

Warren died of Mesothelioma, a currently incurable form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

This Friday Sept 26 is Meso Awareness Day. Anyone wishing to honor Warren's life is encouraged to participate in the "Let's Rock" Meso Awareness Day radio campaign. http://www.curemeso.org/site/c.kkLUJ7MPKtH/b.3081255/

Also, asbestos is STILL not banned in the US! There's legislation on the table to ban asbestos, so please contact your legislators to voice your support: http://www.curemeso.org/c.kkLUJ7MPKt...ionCenter.aspx and http://www.banasbestos.us/

(I'm not affiliated with those organizations, I'm just passionate about doing something that can help save lives. I mean, WTF, in California they're banning plastic bags but not asbestos?!?!?)

Guest Guest
    I have been listening to Zevon today, I had only previously heard his werewolf song, liked it and decided to hear more. What a talent he was, such a great dark humour I am a new fan.

ratkin638 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    I have been listening to Zevon today, I had only previously heard his werewolf song, liked it and decided to hear more. What a talent he was, such a great dark humour I am a new fan.
    Zevon was one of a kind. Even his final album, recorded when he was dying, is so damned much fun to listen to. Who else could have put a song like "The Rest Of The Night" on that album? The only song on that album that I skip every time is "Keep Me In Your Heart," which I find too heartbreaking for words.