Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rue McClanahan

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    I think this sums up everything...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_l3g6npxV8S1qzvv9co1_500.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	28321  

Sparkles Guest
    RIP

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    She was my favorite on GG. Always loved the jewelry she wore.

Sampiro Guest
    Here's a 19 minute tribute reel that was made for a fundraiser Rue was scheduled to appear at back in November. (She wasn't able to make it due to health reasons.) She was always attractive, but I didn't realize what a babe she was back in the day.

For those who haven't seen SORDID LIVES: THE SERIES, she's great on it. It's a comedy-drama and she played Peggy, a 70 year old woman who after being a widow following a long orgasm-less marriage begins an affair with a much younger man she meets in a bar (which is another thing she didn't do in her first 70 years) and basically "cuts loose". Even though she was clearly not feeling in top shape she was great- her only sex scenes to my knowledge.

Sampiro Guest
    Speaking of SORDID LIVES, I went to see a stage show a few months ago called A Sordid Affair in which Del Shores, the creator/etc. of Sordid Lives (a play, then a cult movie, then the series) and various cast members appeared as themselves and told stories about the show and their lives. Rue was supposed to be there but she'd had her first stroke by then and it was known she wouldn't make it, but two of the stories were about Rue and brought the house down.

1. Rue was the person on Golden Girls who got along with everybody. (To my knowledge Estelle Getty did as well but she was more of a homebody- come in, do her job, go home).
    When Bea Arthur was on Broadway in her one woman show a few years ago she sent Rue tickets to opening night and a special reception afterward. Rue couldn't go so she gave them to her son Mark who used them to see the show and go back to see Bea afterward. The reception was crowded and Bea, "who liked her drink", had already had a few, and while she'd met Mark before it had been a while so not surprisingly she didn't recognize him and was a bit belligerent at first.

BEA: "Who are you?"
    MARK: "I'm Rue's son...Mark"
    BEA: "Ruson Mark? I don't know any Ruson Mark..."
    MARK: I'm Rue's son- Mark...I'm the son of Rue McClanahan.
    BEA: Oh... Rue's son... Mark... OH MARK! [at which time she gets up and hugs him] I just wish your mom could have made it. I love love love love love and adore Rue McClanahan.
    [she takes another sip of her drink and says] But Betty White is a CUNT!

2. Rue was watching a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond with her husband and Leslie Jordan while waiting between scenes on Sordid Lives and her husband made a comment about what he considered Patricia Heaton's poor posture. Rue lit into him with "That's the problem with being a woman in show business... Patricia Heaton is brimming over with talent and she's attractive and she's on a hit series and yet men just feel compelled to find something wrong with her!" Her husband apologized a bit, saying it wasn't a judgment, he just didn't think Patricia Heaton had good posture.
    Later Leslie Jordan said "Have you ever read any of Patricia Heaton's comments on politics and all?" He pulled up on his laptop some things Heaton's said about abortion and about Obama (Heaton's a very conservative and pro-life Republican) and about marriage/divorce being out of control. Rue, a liberal Democrat who'd had six husbands and seven marriages, said "Well... she's pretty damned self-righteous for a woman who can't even stand up straight!"

desert hag Guest
    I was surprised and saddened to hear this. RIP Rue...

Patience54 Guest
    I saw Rue on Broadway in "Wicked." She was amazing!

RIP

OMG! I really adored her. How terribly sad.

RIP Rue.
    Cindy

knothere Guest
    rip Rue

Wow if Betty White dies soon and in a dramatic way it'll kinda be like Final Destination. Did they all avoid some disaster on the set of Gloden Girls?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Khaos696 Guest
    Rip Rue, damn that's like 7 deaths since Corey Haim died in March of this year..

Khaos696 Guest
    Ohh and whoever made this picture has a great Sence of Humor..

Quote Originally Posted by trishsixxm View Post
    RIP Rue! I guess this was our third one. Gary Coleman, Dennis Hopper and Rue. There summers have gotten to be a little sad for me.
    I was thinking the same thing earlier. It seems like there's always a group of 3 within a matter of weeks or a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaos696 View Post
    Rip Rue, damn that's like 7 deaths since Corey Haim died in March of this year..
    Geeze, I hadn't thought of the earlier deaths this year! And we're not even into half the year yet!

I loved Rue, she was absolutely phenomenal. She will be sorely missed. Golden Girls was absolutely one of the best comedy shows ever, no doubt. RIP, Rue.

mysterygoddess1978 Guest
    R.I.P. Rue.

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaos696 View Post
    Ohh and whoever made this picture has a great Sence of Humor..
    There's another one as well.

It's ironic that BETTY WHITE who was the oldest of the 4 on
    THE GOLDEN GIRLS is the last one remaining.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Tebssis Guest

simon69 Guest
    Man this really made me sad today when I read the breaking news on my phone? I remember her in Maude with Bea, then the Golden Girls. God must need a laugh a day with you gals by his side? R.I.P. you sweet lady!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQzUEc_FmI&feature=fvst

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Pryncis Guest
    Well doesn't this just suck...

Sorry I'm so late to the thread. I heard about her death earlier yesterday but couldn't post. PC issues...Anyway...

I loved Rue and am very saddened by her sudden death. Blanche was one of my favorite tv characters ever.

RIP Rue
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

slw Guest
    She called her 2007 memoir My First Five Husbands ... And the Ones Who Got Away

Now thats a book I want to read!!

Nicki Guest
    She was priceless...Absolutely loved her! RIP Rue!

Sampiro Guest
    She also wrote a musical retelling of several Greek myths in the 1980s entitled Oedipus Schmedipus! As Long as you Love Your Mama!

buddyhollylover Guest
    i am speechless. i'm going to be depressed all effing day now. my girls are dying off. golden girls to this day is my all time favorite show, and i still watch it daily.

i'll prolly take my sadness out in the kitchen and go bake all day, thats how i deal w/ death.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Just got back from a business trip with little internet access. So sad about this news. She was one of those New Yorkers that seemed to be everywhere.
    She would be at the big fund raisers for Broadway Cares Equity fights AIds events like the Shubert Alley Flea Market ( A must do event if you like Broadway). She could be seen frequently sitting outside at French Roast having a coffee and chatting.
    She just seemed to be a really nice lady who was proud of her craft and wore her fame comfortably.
    RIP Rue!
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    We need to put Betty into protective custody so the Grim Reaper can't find her next!!!
    Rest In Peace Rue! You're loved and will be missed!
    Everyone here is talking about Betty.
    Conrad Bain has lost two costars in a matter of a week.
    HE was on Maude with Rue and Bea.
    Maybe he is the curse.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

RLR12 Guest
    Big time bummer! She was my favorite GG too!

I haven't been on here in quite a while and I have to say, I forgot how funny everyone is!

I set my DVR to record the Girls reruns... and my boyfriend called me to say the damned thing is almost filled up already. I have alot of watching to do!

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    Everyone here is talking about Betty.
    Conrad Bain has lost two costars in a matter of a week.
    HE was on Maude with Rue and Bea.
    Maybe he is the curse.
    I have a theory that Conrad Bain and Charlotte Rae are the Roman and Minnie Castevet of a cult that feasts on the life force of their co-stars. This is why Dana Plato, her son, Gary Coleman, Dixie Carter, Rue McClanahan, Bea Arthur and others are all dropping and yet Conrad and Charlotte are just fine. Todd Bridges they almost got but by avoiding them he's still around.
    Danny Cooksey who played Sam is still around but I'll bet you that if you go through his effects you'll find when his wife was pregnant Charlotte and Conrad sent him an antique locket filled with tannis root. Now they're probably going to start in on the FACTS OF LIFE girls. I'm guessing Jo can hold her own and Tootie is well protected and Lisa Whelchel's religion will guard her, but Natalie better run.
    This theory also explains why I saw Conrad and Charlotte standing around naked and chanting backwards in Latin in my bedroom that time. It wouldn't have been nearly as freaky if Adelaide and Pearl and Conrad's twin brother Bonar hadn't been naked and playing ukeleles.
    Last edited by Sampiro; 06-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    I do that EVERYDAY!
    Yikes.... You don't work at a Post Office do you?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Sam Guest
    RIP Rue darlin!

I just loved the way her character lived her life without apologies. She made a character that could have been just a cookie cutter "tramp" role and breathed life into it. She was a beautiful lady. The idea of women aging and facing their sex lives as older women was really not touched upon much before GG.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    So long, Rue.

candleinthewind Guest
    Sampiro, come sit next to me.

simon69 Guest

Loved you Rue!! You were funny and sweet and soooo sassy!!!

You will be missed!!!

RIP.
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RLR12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

Look how pretty she was when she was a young thang!!

I loved her too. RIP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

**Jenna** Guest
    Loved Rue on Golden Girls,she reminded me of one of my mom's friends. Sad she's gone, RIP

Conrad Bain has lost 2 of his former co-stars from 2 different series recently he played Rue's husband in Maude and Gary Coleman's adopted or foster father on Different Strokes. Rue worked with Bea on Maude and Betty White on Mama's Family Rue played Betty's Aunt Fran. they killed Rue 's character Fran off in Mama's Family after Rue left. Betty was a reoccuring character playing Mama's snobby oldest daughter who fought with her sister Eunice played by Carol Burnett in the few guest appearances by Carol. Rue played Aunt to Carol Burnett and Betty White. I noticed at WalMart's they were selling seasons 1 and 2 DVDS of the Golden Girls for $13 bucks.
    Last edited by ROBERT63; 06-12-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Don't forget Dixie Carter, who played "Maggie" (for 28 episodes; Mary Ann Mobley later took over the role) on "Dif'rent Strokes", who died in April.
    Last edited by Linnie; 06-14-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Sampiro Guest

This is quick...

Her apartment in NYC is already for sale.

"Listed for $2.25 million with Brown Harris Stevens, the "huge oasis," located on East 56th Street, has three bedrooms, two baths, floor-to-ceiling windows, more than a dozen closets, a private garden and a surprise or two.
    That spice rack over there in the pantry? It opens to a secret passageway that leads to a bathroom, reports the The New York Times. And in a design touch that Blanche would appreciate, the door to McClanahan's office is sculpted to look like a nude woman is walking through it."

melody Guest
    Where the hell have I been?? Didn't find out until now!!

harlequin_clown Guest
    Sad I was thinking the same thing thing about Betty White. I know I would be gritting my teeth about now ....

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin_clown View Post
    Sad I was thinking the same thing thing about Betty White. I know I would be gritting my teeth about now ....
    She ran a lovely full page tribute for Rue the day of her local service in the NY Times. I don't even want to think about what it must have cost.
    Very classy touch from Betty.
    Regards,
    Mary

it's been 13 months since Rue passed away. Betty white seems to be going strong still at age 89. a lot of people were worried because Estelle Getty died in 2008, Bea in 2009 and Rue in 2010. Wal-Mart was selling each season of the Golden Girls DVDS for a reasonable price I manged to buy them all and have been enjoying the show all over again.

Just bought the set of the Golden Girls on DVD ,and the one liners are priceless .Rue played the Blanche role brilliantly ..... at least we'll always have the DVD to treasure......

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    Just bought the set of the Golden Girls on DVD ,and the one liners are priceless .Rue played the Blanche role brilliantly ..... at least we'll always have the DVD to treasure......
    The Golden Girls is still one of my favorite shows. Used to watch it college, if you can imagine a bunch of college kids crowding around the TV to watch back-to-back episodes around dinner time. Awww. Sweet memories

Rue McClanahan

I did a search and I am shocked that there isn't a thread for her already!

People were posting about her on Facebook today for some reason, and when I saw one of the post I literally "awwed"...I have spent many many hours watching Golden Girls marathons with my gay-boyfriends, and Blanche is their favorite. They are constantly quoting her lol. I'm pretty sure I have seen every episode of Golden Girls, and I still can't believe there is only one left
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 06-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”