Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Wowza Neil....probably not. BTW my friend, any more word on the Aussie fellow's (Clive?) progress building a "new" Titanic? Haven't seen or heard anything about it recently.....lovely seeing you here again more often!
    There's speculation it was all just a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Wowza Neil....probably not. BTW my friend, any more word on the Aussie fellow's (Clive?) progress building a "new" Titanic? Haven't seen or heard anything about it recently.....lovely seeing you here again more often!
    I saw a show on TV here last week. You are not going to believe this, but it is true. You know how in a desert you get a mirage? It is a distortion generated by a layer of hot air at ground level, and a cooler layer above it. You see water on the land ahead, or objects in the distance get distorted.The atmosphere is actually a lens, and these alternating layers of hot and cold air cause a visual distortion. Well, the same thing happened in the north atlantic ocean that night. The titanic was sailing on a 'warmer' body of water (being a relative term in such northern waters). However, a cooler body of water was drifting south. The titanic sailed into the cooler water, and the alternating layers of air caused a visual distortion which obscured the iceberg. http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Wiltshir...#axzz2Qq8pW6vm
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I believe it because there's real science behind it. And I've seen the effect with my own eyes. Anybody who's traveled across interstates in the southwestern US during the summertime has too. The asphalt you're driving on being much hotter than the air around it often creates the appearance that there's water on the road when there's not.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I saw a show on TV here last week. You are not going to believe this, but it is true. You know how in a desert you get a mirage? It is a distortion generated by a layer of hot air at ground level, and a cooler layer above it. You see water on the land ahead, or objects in the distance get distorted.The atmosphere is actually a lens, and these alternating layers of hot and cold air cause a visual distortion. Well, the same thing happened in the north atlantic ocean that night. The titanic was sailing on a 'warmer' body of water (being a relative term in such northern waters). However, a cooler body of water was drifting south. The titanic sailed into the cooler water, and the alternating layers of air caused a visual distortion which obscured the iceberg. http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Wiltshir...#axzz2Qq8pW6vm
    Neat. I thought I read something at one point about how the moon was super close as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Neat. I thought I read something at one point about how the moon was super close as well.
    Yes. And the stars being super intense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just found this thread a couple of days ago. Perfect timing. The Titanic exhibit is here until April 28th! We are planning on going tomorrow. You all make it sound amazing and I am soo excited!!!!!
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorasbox View Post
    Just found this thread a couple of days ago. Perfect timing. The Titanic exhibit is here until April 28th! We are planning on going tomorrow. You all make it sound amazing and I am soo excited!!!!!
    Hi! Where will it be in Raleigh? I wanna go!!!

News on the Titanic II: "On 16 April it was announced that Deltamarin had been contracted for the project development phase, and will be responsible for coordinating the various parties involved in the project, including the shipyard, architects, interior designers and operations managers. The feasibility study is complete, and the project development phase is ongoing. The signature of a contract and keel laying is expected later in 2013."

I still think making another one is the stupidest thing since walking around with untied shoelaces when it was fashionable. Very, who wants a ride in the Hindenburg II!

I think it's cool, and were I to be in the financial position, I'd book a cruise.

It'd be neat to look around in if the interior is an exact reproduction. Like a museum. But I'd never sail on it. It just feels wrong to me. All the survivors are dead now. But it still feels wrong for some reason I can't quite explain.

Just left the Titanic exhibit in Raleigh, NC. It was amazing but so depressing. The artifacts were well preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Just left the Titanic exhibit in Raleigh, NC. It was amazing but so depressing. The artifacts were well preserved.
    So glad you got there! I JUST saw your post and thought "oh no that question is more than a week old and I didn't respond!"
    My 3 year old ended up a double ear infection, croup and RSV- all starting the next morning. So needless to say we didn't make it. She was finally better by yesterday but we had a wedding yesterday and no sitter tomorrow, which is the last day. Such is life.
    I hear that it was here about 5 years ago so I'll just hope to catch it in another five years.
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin

It's definitely worth a look. Sorry your little one was sick! I hated that.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I agree, but people will, I read that there are relatives of passengers who survived and ones of those who did not who want to book passage !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Police Called in as Row over Titanic Plumbs New Depths

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/47...ith-police.htm

Rivalry between collectors of memorabilia associated with the Titanic has led to a row that would shame those guilty of rearranging the doomed liner's deckchairs. Police have been called in after the disagreement escalated into threats of violence, allegations of theft and malicious accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    ...who wants a ride in the Hindenburg II!
    I would, if they filled it with helium.

The iceburg used a cloaking device. The big question is was it Klingon or romulan. Having done the Florida to California trip many times In my youth, before the interstates, the mirage effect can be pretty tricky.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Joee Guest
    I'm holding out for Challenger II.

So, now Clive is a professor. Amazing what a high school education will get you nowadays .Fact check anyone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So, now Clive is a professor. Amazing what a high school education will get you nowadays .Fact check anyone?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

New pic has emerged. Bodies were not given a respectful funereal. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1471919

I guess I'm not surprised by this. All those bodies.. How would one begin to ID all of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the steerage pax getting their final insult.

I''ve always been a Titanic buff but wouldn't pay a dime for that. Fish them out so you can stick them in bags and toss them back in? Idiotic.

You know someone will pay a obscene amount of moolah on this. I bet it goes over auction estimate.

That goes without saying. But even if I had a bazillion dollars it wouldn't be me.

I did a book report in history class on the Titanic in 4th grade. It was one of those deals where you had to give a presentation too. All the other kids did standard history stuff, straight outta textbooks. Not me. Up there talkin' about dead folks, lol.

Did you get a good grade or did the teacher freak out?

I'm got a good grade on it. Not doing the standard thing pays off at times. Especially when the standard thing is something the teacher's heard about 30 times that day.

I'm thinking the point of pulling them out of the water was identifying them. But still, what they did afterward was horrific. And I'm wondering why they didn't contact Molly Brown or someone like her instead of doing that.

You earned a good grade. I think, even more so then, than now, no money = no status.

Yeah but Molly cared. She did things for the families who lost loved ones after the tragedy. So did a few others with money and clout. Just can't remember their names right now.

Basically I know no one can answer that question because there's no one left from those days to answer it. I do wonder if anyone even tried though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's been posted here a few times before.

35. 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM
    Reason
    dupe

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    New pic has emerged. Bodies were not given a respectful funereal. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1471919
    I think considering the time period we're talking about and the amount of bodies collected burying them at sea this way it seems respectable to me. Everyone looks very sad and respectable and there's a man of the cloth there giving them prayers as they go over. Hardly disrespectful maybe just not how it would be handled in modern times though so to some it might seem disrespectful.

Oh thank the heavens! I was terrified that there was going to be another awful movie coming out.

It just didn't feel right to me that they drag them out of the water and then throw them back in. But is was the best they could do in the circumstances and at least a priest was present. I wonder if he had some back up 'cause that would be a lot of Final Rites.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Oh thank the heavens! I was terrified that there was going to be another awful movie coming out.
    I really liked the movie. If you can ignore the love story (fast forward helps a lot) I think it's absolute quality. They cast it really well. Especially when the captain is told how and when it will sink. Great actors.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

It was very well made and nice to look at, but yeah, it's the love story that did me in.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was too.

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I really liked the movie. If you can ignore the love story (fast forward helps a lot) I think it's absolute quality. They cast it really well. Especially when the captain is told how and when it will sink. Great actors.
    I enjoyed it, too, even the love story.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Fine! Just gang up on me then!

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I believe it because there's real science behind it. And I've seen the effect with my own eyes. Anybody who's traveled across interstates in the southwestern US during the summertime has too. The asphalt you're driving on being much hotter than the air around it often creates the appearance that there's water on the road when there's not.
    I've seen something like that on the roads in Georgia.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It's common here in south western Mississippi.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

On SyFy they have a show once in a while where they show an escape artist by the name of Steve Santini, it shows him on his quest to hunt down torture devices and other dark or historical objects. The show is called Deals from the Darkside. He went to a house where some guy was selling a deckchair supposedly from Titanic. After seeing a psychic he goes to the curator of a museum which is a reproduction of Titanic. Now this guy is supposed to be the utmost authority on the ship. He showed him an authentic deckchair at the end he proudly proclaimed "I can guarantee this deckchair once graced the deck of the SS Titanic" ???????? What? You he is supposed to be the utmost authority and he doesn't even call the ship by it's correct designation. IT'S THE RMS TITANIC you idiot. BTW there is also a German (?) Redbull add strongly implying that if passengers drank Redbull they could just fly away.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    On SyFy they have a show once in a while where they show an escape artist by the name of Steve Santini, it shows him on his quest to hunt down torture devices and other dark or historical objects. The show is called Deals from the Darkside. He went to a house where some guy was selling a deckchair supposedly from Titanic. After seeing a psychic he goes to the curator of a museum which is a reproduction of Titanic. Now this guy is supposed to be the utmost authority on the ship. He showed him an authentic deckchair at the end he proudly proclaimed "I can guarantee this deckchair once graced the deck of the SS Titanic" ???????? What? You he is supposed to be the utmost authority and he doesn't even call the ship by it's correct designation. IT'S THE RMS TITANIC you idiot. BTW there is also a German (?) Redbull add strongly implying that if passengers drank Redbull they could just fly away.
    Red Bull was invented by an Austrian, so maybe that was the lingo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Red Bull was invented by an Austrian, so maybe that was the lingo.
    Nope the commercial was broadcast in Germany in German. There is a English version of it Red Bull is refusing to pull it over harsh criticism.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    It just didn't feel right to me that they drag them out of the water and then throw them back in. But is was the best they could do in the circumstances and at least a priest was present. I wonder if he had some back up 'cause that would be a lot of Final Rites.
    yeah I get what you're saying but I guess for identification purposes and they had to pull them out in the first place and depending on where they were from it would have been difficult to take that many bodies back to Europe, especially at that time like someone mentioned with no way to preserve the bodies for that length of time.

Ice.

snap!

Crackle, pop!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD