Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Virginia Coal Mine Explodes

rjbrasher Guest
    rip miners, god that is so sad. My husband is a boilermaker and when he goes to work at his job i just hate it, you hear bad things happening at plants as well. And he is in the buisness cause his father did it. I will be damn if my son does this when he is older. Granted its excellent pay. but not worth you loosing your life over it.

orionova Guest
    I'm a native West Virginian. My dad is a retired coal miner. His brother and brother-in-law were coal miners. They did not 'dream of the day' they would start working the mines. My dad went through several jobs before he finally gave up and got a job underground. He saw a man crushed when a motor jumped the tracks and pinned a man between it and the wall. It's no one's dream job.

There's also a stereotype of the miner making a lot of money. Not true. I grew up in the 70s and 80s in substandard housing, without running water for part of it. Yes, we had an outhouse. Sometimes something will bring back a memory and I can literally smell the horrible smell of the outhouse again.

Men and women work in the mines because that's all there is. There is nothing romantic about it.

Not Fade Away Guest
    EXACTLY! I was wondering about the notion of good pay and where it came from, because I've seen coal mining towns, have a very close family friend who grew up in a mining family, and I've seen the effects mining has on air and water quality and therefore, on life quality.

There are no other jobs in these areas. None.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Fade Away View Post
    EXACTLY! I was wondering about the notion of good pay and where it came from, because I've seen coal mining towns, have a very close family friend who grew up in a mining family, and I've seen the effects mining has on air and water quality and therefore, on life quality.

There are no other jobs in these areas. None.
    My family never worked in the mines, we farmed but...these are the people that made the mass migration to Detroit and other Northern Midwest cities seeking a better life.
    Good pay is always relative to where you are and the possibilites presented to you. Good pay in Boston and San Diego and good pay in Corinth Miss or Wabash Indiana are very different.
    I keep thinking about two country songs I always loved 40 Hour Week by Alabama and Get a Little Dirt on Your Hands (the Johnny Cash version). These men and women work hard and die young to make an honest living and try to make a better life for their family.
    RIP Miners!
    Regards,
    Mary

orionova Guest
    The mines before they were (mostly) unionized were terrible places. The company would pay miners not in cash, but in scrip, which was usually only good at the company store. The prices charged at the company store were extortionate, which led miners to go into debt with the company. They became little more than slaves at that point.

Unionizing helped tremendously, but Massey-owned mines aren't union. If the company decides to reduce medical benefits, the miners have to just accept it. They know that if they don't, they will be fired, and new miners will be hired in their place. They are disposable, no matter who one looks at it.

Last edited by ichabodius; 04-11-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    This is infuriating.
    Makes me wanna break out some Test Dept.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    This is infuriating.
    Makes me wanna break out some Test Dept.
    Ich take a drive through parts of Kentucky and Tennessee and take a look at the remains of open pit strip mining. Their idea of reclamation is a joke. Entire mountains denuded of foliage, topsoil gone and erosion running red clay down over the farmland and the toxic mine tailings mixed in the run off polluting the water tables and rivers and creeks. Wildlife having all sorts of deformities like tumors on fish and livestock born with all kinds of wierd problems.
    It is ugly business.
    Regards,
    Mary

I don't know if it has been confirmed, but it seems like the four were killed instantly and never were alive after. I guess the visibility was so poor they kept walking by the bodies and never realized it was them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

steffie Guest
    ITA Mary. They patch it up a little but everything still has that "ugly" look to it.
    I think so Miho. It's so sad.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Finally!!! This piece of trash is finally indicted.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...ted/ar-BBdzuOa

Good news indeed. I like seeing a big dog taken down.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

On further thought I wonder what took so long. Convenient this happens almost immediately after midterm elections where Coal was a major player. I don't know if it was by design or the motive behind it but it's odd. Could just be a coincidence. Also why is he not charged with Murder? Why not manslaughter? Negligent homicide? Something!! His ducking safety regulations and lying directly led to the deaths of 29 people!!
    Last edited by StewartGilliganGriffin; 11-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.

It's harder to scrape the Teflon off of rich people. He should be charge with something like manslaughter. Those poor miners didn't mean shit to him.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Finally!!! This piece of trash is finally indicted.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...ted/ar-BBdzuOa

Hallelujah! It's about time.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Mammy Guest
    I'm sure he'll buy his way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I'm sure he'll buy his way out of it.
    mhm At the very least he'll buy a cushy sentence in one of those minimum security white collar crime spas/resorts.... er I mean "prisons"

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    mhm At the very least he'll buy a cushy sentence in one of those minimum security white collar crime spas/resorts.... er I mean "prisons"
    Exactly! There's no way a rich dude will do hard time in prison.

More like where they sent Martha Stewart, dubbed "Camp Cupcake"?

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    More like where they sent Martha Stewart, dubbed "Camp Cupcake"?
    Lol, places like that are a joke.

the CEO of Massey Energy was convicted of a misdemeanor today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12...n_8710898.html

29 miners dead and this moron only gets convicted of a misdemeanor 'conspiring to willfully violate mine safety standards'. Just wow.

How long until West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin (D) flips
    to a (R) he could care less for the coal miners in his state.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    How long until West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin (D) flips
    to a (R) he could care less for the coal miners in his state.
    Manchin isn't going to flip and he got a ton of praise for his handling of this situation.