Thread: Taman Shud Case - Mystery of the Somerton Man

Taman Shud Case - Mystery of the Somerton Man

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

That's REALLY weird and creepy. The whole code thing gives me the willies.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

STsFirstmate Guest
    Interesting as always and too many coincidences to really be series of random actions and events.
    I love a good mystery!
    Regards,
    Mary

RogerV Guest
    This one certainly is a puzzler. It's somewhat like the Black Dhalia case in that evidence has been lost or destroyed.

However, IMHO the nurse was connected to the case somehow. I'm not saying she was the murderer, but she knew the victim, or knew someone who knew him. Of course there's always the problem of nobody matching the victim's description was ever reported missing in the right time frame.

5. 06-20-2010, 02:03 PM

bloodrocuted Guest
    This is my favorite unsolved crime story, it's such a huge mindscrew. However, there are some parties that are keeping quiet about certain details, like that nurse who refused to state the significance of the one Rubiyaat verse she wrote to Boxall, or Mr Lawson who made the Somerton Man's plaster cast, who refused to say whether anyone positively identified the body. Something really fishy is going on, involving many people. I think this case may very well indeed have something to do with espionage.

luckyinlove Guest
    this case has always creeped me out! i love it! i can't believe there aren't more posts about it

The curious Taman Shud case

I checks the search engine and didn't find that anyone posted this case (if so, mods can you please move it - Thank you!!!)...very strange! Was he murdered, suicide????? He never was identified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Nelliebean Guest
    Very interesting!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Fascinating!

This really sounds like it may have been a conspiracy. Either that, or guy committed suicide and left one hell of a puzzle behind. Too bad that his old flame apparently didn't tell everything she knew. I wonder who or what she was protecting.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-22-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Last edited by ichabodius; 01-22-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Wow...thanks ich! I tried every combo to see if this case was posted before...LOL!
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

Quote Originally Posted by girl incognito View Post
    Wow...thanks ich! I tried every combo to see if this case was posted before...LOL!
    No prob. I always use key words in a thread title only search first that eliminates most possible hits.

Bunratty Guest
    There was a 70s rock band in Australia that called itself Tamam Shud

Nelliebean Guest
    Looks like several people saw him lying face down but didn't bother to check on him.

whitershadeofpale Guest

Talking The Taman Shud Case

I came across this case over the weekend and did a little search but could find nothing about it on here.

I'm posting from my phone so it won't let me do links but there is a pretty comprehensive wiki page and lots of other stuff online. Basically a body was discovered on an Australian beach, he was unable to be identified, no cause if death was aparent and a strange scrap of paper was found in his pocket which eventually led to an unbreakable code.

This occurred in 1948 and is still unsolved. It would be great to hear any death-hag theories

Hi White. This is a really interesting case. But there is a thread on this already. Only reason I know is because I was reading on it a few days ago. No biggie though, we've all started new threads for things that are already here

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...e-Somerton-Man

Djen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Looks like several people saw him lying face down but didn't bother to check on him.
    Nice people! I can see not wanting to poke him with a stick for yourself, but wouldn't you call somebody?

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Nice people! I can see not wanting to poke him with a stick for yourself, but wouldn't you call somebody?
    i'd have waited until he started to stink before calling anyone but I'm considerate that way not wanting to rouse a probable drunk.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    No cell phones back then.

Personally, I would first employ the "shout at it in English and observe for signs of life" strategy.

Then you can still always escalate to "poke it with a stick" as the situation warrants.

Although I would maybe find a piece of driftwood first. It could be a dangerous mutant sea badger - or a sleeping NRA member. Or someone who is embracing my new "Hug the Ground for Freedom" program. Remember our motto - "If you can't do it lying down, it's not worth doing and wasn't that important anyway!"

NOVSTORM Guest
    Good Post !!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Very interesting!
    The more I look at that photo, the more he resembles actor Geoffrey Rush (of The King's Speech, Munich, The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, etc.)!

Nelliebean Guest
    "Shout at it in English". Bumper sticker?

Rosebud666 Guest
    "Shout at it in English". Bumper sticker?
    The bumper sticker would read: "They can take my language when they can pry it from my cold dead hands! From my cold dead hands ya'lll!"

They're attempting to extract DNA from a plaster cast made of his face before his body was buried.

https://www.cnet.com/news/solving-th...CAD-03-10aaj8j
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    They're attempting to extract DNA from a plaster cast made of his face before his body was buried.

Wow! I remember reading about him over the years. Hope they can ID him.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post

I just found out about this a few weeks ago on Buzzfeed Unsolved. As others have said it is beyond strange. With how much effort they went to coding what was on the paper, I'm not sure I want to know what it was about because it can't be good. I get the feeling someone out there did know who he was when the story became public but didn't get in contact because of all the secrecy. If they are successful getting DNA, it's going to open a can or worms over who knew something or didn't.

Astonishing Legends did a great multi-part podcast on this.

Fascinating.
    This is the first time I'm ever read the details.

Surely they could decipher that "code" today if that is really what it is.
    Aside from that, people in Australia sure do dress nicely when they go to the beach.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Jim, You would think they would be able to decipher the code, would be nice to know what the DNA results are.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Jim, You would think they would be able to decipher the code, would be nice to know what the DNA results are.
    You would think if the right agency gave it a go it'd be over with.
    They can decipher things that were deliberately obfuscated, long-dead languages, and even French from what I hear.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Close to Solving Mystery?

His real name remains a mystery more than 70 years after he was found dead in a smart brown suit on an Australian beach, a half-smoked cigarette resting on his collar.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/au...?ocid=msedgntp
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    His real name remains a mystery more than 70 years after he was found dead in a smart brown suit on an Australian beach, a half-smoked cigarette resting on his collar.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/au...?ocid=msedgntp
    Ha! Beat me to it, Cindy, although I found the article on cnn.com.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

WOW Maybe it is him.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    WOW Maybe it is him.
    Maybe so, the man who did the DNA test and such has to wait for the Australian police to also confirm. Which means a longer wait to determine if he is indeed Carl Webb, I hope it is him and that he can finally have a name, now if we can only know what that strange code is and what happened to him.

Maybe so, the man who did the DNA test and such has to wait for the Australian police to also confirm. Which means a longer wait to determine if he is indeed Carl Webb, I hope it is him and that he can finally have a name, now if we can only know what that strange code is and what happened to him.
    They've come this far, maybe they can take it farther. Who knows?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy, I agree, I hope they can take it farther, It will be great for him to finally have his name and I hope one day they can also give The Boy In The Box a name as well.