Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny Tim

cherryghost Guest

Tiny Tim

I met Tiny on a few personal occassions and he was grand, he had shows doing the marathon musical history and sang for all his might. He had gorgous skin and a bag full of cleansers and moisterisers. He was well maintained by himself, he took care of himself in a lovely manner, he was also very polite and so respectful of others, his talent was immense but not commercial so he suffered for his art but his art was it! I really loved meeting him as he was all I had imagined since yrs ago when my mum got his autograph from a country club and he had signed it Miss not cherryghost but similar! hahha! When I met him I was nervous and he was lovely. I love Tiny Tim and will always cus he was an original and when ever I met him he was so lovely and sweet to everyone! I was always with people who knew him and I never heard a bad word said of him. His work was original and he was an original!

The last of the originals.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Jazbabee Guest
    never quite understood him I was young when he was at the height of popularity

Miss Swallow Guest
    He was the entertainment at our county fair one year in the 1980s, and he was interviewed at the radio station, and my mother & cousin went down to see him & sat in the studio while they taped. They said he was very nice, and signed autographs. The sad thing is, the radio opened the phone lines for people to call & talk to him, and no one did. There were no calls at all.

Kathyf Guest
    I remember i was very young my mom and Dad let me stay up to watch Ms. vickie and him get married. Forgot what talk show it was.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Jaxxx Guest
    It was the Tonight School, He seemed very sweet.

Danny62 Guest
    He seemed kind of creepy looking to me.

I got the chills when I would hear The song "Tiptoe thru tulips?"

Not sure why??

malaki Guest
    I agree w/Danny he was just creepy!!!!

cherryghost Guest
    He was just very eccentric and unusual I think, quite straight and very religious! Never did drugs or drank much! Think he would have a glass of red! I have always know people who are fanatical about him and his type of music and i guess you have to admire his discipline and commitment! I believe he died on stage singing which was actually the way he would have wanted!

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]This is what happens when novelty acts catch the eye of someone like Johnny Carson and gain national attention. Sorry but to my ear, musically the poor sap was only slightly more talented than William Hung. I'll have to take my place on the "he's creepy" side of the issue - he always impressed me as an escapee from a mental institution or a carnival geek.[/SIZE]

cherryghost Guest
    Oh but it takes all kinds in this world and its good to sometimes just step out of our own boxes see and experience something odd or different and experience what they may have to offer!
    Who is William Hung? He isnt a household word ,oddly Tiny Tim was..... even if not, our cup of tea!

I dont think he was a novelty act ......he was old style vaudeville and the like!
    He covered "Highway to Hell" in his own inimitable syle, but many recognise his style being not of this time .
    That is why he doesnt appeal to some Musical ears!

He was a music historian of vast knowledge and knew his stuff, thats why lots of people got him in later years, not for his rather histronic voice.
    Talented he was you only had to accidently come upon him in a club and enjoy him as a performer!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 11-20-2007 at 03:36 AM.

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Oh but it takes all kinds in this world and its good to sometimes just step out of our own boxes see and experience something odd or different and experience what they may have to offer!
    Who is William Hung? He isnt a household word ,oddly Tiny Tim was..... even if not, our cup of tea!

I dont think he was a novelty act ......he was old style vaudeville and the like!
    He covered "Highway to Hell" in his own inimitable syle, but many recognise his style being not of this time .
    That is why he doesnt appeal to some Musical ears!

He was a music historian of vast knowledge and knew his stuff, thats why lots of people got him in later years, not for his rather histronic voice.
    Talented he was you only had to accidently come upon him in a club and enjoy him as a performer!
    [SIZE=3]Well, to each their own. However he was never taken seriously and considered a freak by most people during his 15 minutes of fame and beyond. My take on his singing is that he doesn't appeal to most people because he was just flat out hideous. And, I don't think of him as vaudeville - except perhaps a bad parody of it. But that's me and if Tiny Tim was the only thing "outside the box" I'd just opt to stay in the box and listen to my old record collection, babies crying or yowling cats in heat instead. BTW: William Hung is some poor sap who was so bad on American Idol he became a cult figure for a short time. His time is up now too so that's probably why you haven't heard of him. You can read more about that if you care to on [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Wikipedia...William Hung[/SIZE][SIZE=3].[/SIZE]

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:37 AM.

onehunglow Guest
    He took such a dive he came to Waterloo Iowa and played the bars. Sold maybe 50 tickets in two days. That was about 1978 or so.

Jazbabee Guest
    wonder if his persona was strictly for the public, or if he was totally different in private ?

deathybrad Guest
    I'm young so the most famous things he did in my life time were appear on Roseanne and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    wonder if his persona was strictly for the public, or if he was totally different in private ?
    Nope, he was way out there in private as well.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

For some reason, I always got the feeling that he smelled bad.

dbrian Guest

Tiny Tim

Anyone remember this guy?

Yikes! I never really got his appeal or how he even got into the business. I was just around 7 when he was all over TV--but it seemed like for a while he was everywhere!

Kathyf Guest
    Tip toe thru the tulips I think he is on another thread.

Jaxxx Guest
    Sweet guy, I liked him.

I saw him get married to Miss Vicky on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson". He was funny to watch.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johntrim040851 View Post
    I saw him get married to Miss Vicky on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson". He was funny to watch.
    I did too John. I remember it like it was yesterday.

GEAUX LSU Guest
    i saw the pic of him in his casket.....i wonder if they actually buried him with his yukalele (sp)

Kathyf Guest
    I think they did.

Tiny Tim (musician)
    Herbert Buckingham Khaury (April 12, 1932 – 30 November 1996), better known by the stage name Tiny Tim, was an American singer, ukulele player, and musical archivist. He was most famous for his rendition of “Tiptoe Through The Tulips” sung in his distinctive high falsetto / vibrato voice. He was generally thought of as a novelty act, though his records display a wide knowledge of American songs.
    According to legend, Tiny Tim first sang in a lesbian cabaret bar. He went on to sing in a wide variety of clubs and bars, as well as entering many talent competitions in an attempt to get discovered.
    In contrast to the romance oriented publicity of their wedding, Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki mostly lived apart, and divorced eight years later. Their daughter, Tulip Victoria, is now married and living in Pennsylvania with four children.
    In September 1996, he suffered a heart attack
    He continued to play concerts despite the warnings that, due to the fragile state of his heart, he could die at any moment. While playing “Tiptoe Through The Tulips” at a Gala Benefit at The Woman's Club of Minneapolis on 30 November of that year, he suffered another heart attack on stage. He was led out by his third wife, Susan Marie Gardner (whom he had married on 18 August 1995), who asked him if he was okay. Tim responded, “No, I'm not!” Those were his final words. He collapsed shortly thereafter and was rushed to Hennepin County Medical Center where he died after doctors tried to resuscitate him for an hour and fifteen minutes. He is buried in the mausoleum of Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis.

mgpm Guest
    He was pretty talented and sweet, but strange.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    was tim 'tiny' all over?

firegilnotguns Guest
    There is already a thread about Tiny Tim here, in the Musicians section:
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2618

GEAUX LSU Guest
    RIP Tiny....at least he died at what he loved doing the most

When my sister-in-law was a teenager, she was in love with him (oh how teenage girls wore their heart on their sleeve for the likes of Bobby Sherman, Paul McCartney, David Cassidy and Tiny Tim!).

When Tiny Tim was on tour and appearing in LA, my SIL found out what hotel he was staying at decided to go see him. Somehow they found out his room number and went up and knocked on the door. He answered it and seemed truly flattered that they had come to see him. She said that he was very sweet and personable, and wanted them to come inside. She and her girlfriend decided not to because he came off also as being a little creepy. But they got his autograph before they left. The one thing she remembers the most about him is that he had an icky, goobery stain on the front of his shirt. Ugh!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

seberly Guest
    i always found him interesting to look at, but i never quite got the appeal of him..

dbrian Guest
    Tiny Tim is kind of a hybrid--I could see him on either forum. He may have been "musical" but what made him a meteoric icon were the television appearances and celebrity favor--def not his music! lol I still get shivers thinking of him singing. I remember my parents could not STAND the guy when he was on Carson or whatever.

Maybe I'll let my hair grow again and start a Tiny Tim tribute act. Think I'd have a chance?
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I met him once, must have been around 1987. He was exiting a recording studio and I recognized him and asked him for his autograph. He was polite & accomodating, but he didn't look well. He had white stuff around his upper lip which looked like it was either leftover powdered sugar from a donut or coke. I'd thought that he was tall, but once I saw him in person he seemed hunched over somewhat. His posture wasn't good.

One time when he was on the HOWARD STERN SHOW, HOWARD got him to admit that he wore diapers because he apparently wanted to touch his 'privates' as little as possible. The diapers enabled him to only have to 'handle' his parts once a day. Eewww.

cherryghost Guest
    Actually he smelt fine, he was very much into perfume and makeup suprise suprise, took very good care of his skin and hair! He was quite old remember! And yes he was as out there in, as he was out!

cherryghost Guest
    He played the Grafton RSL in the late 70's and that was not a notable music venue either! But possibly one of his best concerts would have been at Lunar Park in Sydney!

cherryghost Guest

Why cant you do all that in lower case? You angry of something? Relax he was a trip!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    [SIZE=3]Well, to each their own. However he was never taken seriously and considered a freak by most people during his 15 minutes of fame and beyond. My take on his singing is that he doesn't appeal to most people because he was just flat out hideous. And, I don't think of him as vaudeville - except perhaps a bad parody of it. But that's me and if Tiny Tim was the only thing "outside the box" I'd just opt to stay in the box and listen to my old record collection, babies crying or yowling cats in heat instead. BTW: William Hung is some poor sap who was so bad on American Idol he became a cult figure for a short time. His time is up now too so that's probably why you haven't heard of him. You can read more about that if you care to on [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Wikipedia...William Hung[/SIZE][SIZE=3].[/SIZE]

cherryghost Guest
    Thats incorrect a lot people took him very seriously, where do you get your research from ? lots of people out there dont consider people who are different to themselves or the norm freaks! Your so harsh what did Tiny ever do to you? haha!
    Such sweeping generalisations are bleak and below you BeeCee !

cherryghost Guest
    Im young too but my parents were artists and good friends of Tiny!

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post

One time when he was on the HOWARD STERN SHOW, HOWARD got him to admit that he wore diapers because he apparently wanted to touch his 'privates' as little as possible. The diapers enabled him to only have to 'handle' his parts once a day. Eewww.
    o.m.g gross.

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Thats incorrect a lot people took him very seriously, where do you get your research from ? lots of people out there dont consider people who are different to themselves or the norm freaks! Your so harsh what did Tiny ever do to you? haha!
    Such sweeping generalisations are bleak and below you BeeCee !
    [SIZE=3]My "research" dear, came from living through the period and seeing people laugh at - not with - that idiot. Absolutely no one including the people who exploited his freakishness on television took him seriously at the time. Now, maybe his mommy and daddy and best friends did but, in general he was a joke. That isn't a generalization - it's just the way it was. And, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not the only person here who has a less than stellar opinion of this dweeb. So, why are you putting such an effort into whining about my posts and opinions? Could it be because down deep you know that I've got a point? Is that what makes you so grumpy or do you just need a nap?[/SIZE]

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    Tiny Tim- Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-N_jlF-sRqk
    that guy was weird. and that video was sick...not in a good way. ugh!

cherryghost Guest

Yes you know best BeeCee!

[SIZE=3]My "research" dear, came from living through the period and seeing people laugh at - not with - that idiot. Absolutely no one including the people who exploited his freakishness on television took him seriously at the time. Now, maybe his mommy and daddy and best friends did but, in general he was a joke. That isn't a generalization - it's just the way it was. And, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not the only person here who has a less than stellar opinion of this dweeb. So, why are you putting such an effort into whining about my posts and opinions? Could it be because down deep you know that I've got a point? Is that what makes you so grumpy or do you just need a nap?[/SIZE]

cherryghost Guest

Did you get off your high horse to even read what I said?

cherryghost Guest
    Dear BeeCee hope you win the lottery it might make you a jolly and happy person!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    here we go again. consider this thread locked.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    here we go again. consider this thread locked.
    Ya think?

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Ya think?
    just a thought.