Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer

World Cup Soccer

Can hardly wait until this summer when a big sporting event
    starts.
    Sorry English fans but David Beckham is hurt, so his wife
    can't show off for everybody and not smile when she has
    her photo taken.
    First time it will be played in Africa so thats cool.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I am so stoked over the World Cup too!!!!!! May have to take some time off to catch some games on TV.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

South Africa?
    Yikes.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    South Africa?
    Yikes.
    Imagine all the sex slaves that will be trucked in from all over Africa

Imagine all the sex slaves that will be trucked in from all over Africa
    Double Yikes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

6. 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM

US State Department issues South Africa alert

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100528/...NzdGF0ZWRlcGFy

WASHINGTON â?? The U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert to U.S citizens living in South Africa or traveling there for the World Cup.
    "There is a heightened risk that extremist groups will conduct [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]terrorist [COLOR=#366388 !important]acts[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] within South Africa in the near future," the department said in an alert Thursday. "While a number of terrorist threats against the World Cup in South Africa have appeared in the media in recent weeks and months, the U.S. government has no information on any specific, [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]credible [COLOR=#366388 !important]threat[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] of attack that any individual or group is planning to coincide with the tournament."
    The State Department said it would make any information public on "a specific and credible threat."
    U.S. citizens were advised to keep car doors and windows locked while driving and not to leave valuables in plain view or to wear expensive jewelry.
    The alert said public transportation is "poorly developed" and advised using rental cars or private transport instead. And when stopping at intersections at night or in isolated areas, it suggested leaving room for a "quick exit."
    The [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]State [COLOR=#366388 !important]Department[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] says its alerts are "about short-term conditions" in a country "that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens." Its warnings are "to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable."
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100528/...NzdGF0ZWRlcGFy

WASHINGTON â?? The U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert to U.S citizens living in South Africa or traveling there for the World Cup.
    "There is a heightened risk that extremist groups will conduct [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]terrorist [COLOR=#366388 !important]acts[/color][/color][/color] within South Africa in the near future," the department said in an alert Thursday. "While a number of terrorist threats against the World Cup in South Africa have appeared in the media in recent weeks and months, the U.S. government has no information on any specific, [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]credible [COLOR=#366388 !important]threat[/color][/color][/color] of attack that any individual or group is planning to coincide with the tournament."
    The State Department said it would make any information public on "a specific and credible threat."
    U.S. citizens were advised to keep car doors and windows locked while driving and not to leave valuables in plain view or to wear expensive jewelry.
    The alert said public transportation is "poorly developed" and advised using rental cars or private transport instead. And when stopping at intersections at night or in isolated areas, it suggested leaving room for a "quick exit."
    The [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]State [COLOR=#366388 !important]Department[/color][/color][/color] says its alerts are "about short-term conditions" in a country "that pose imminent risks to the security of U.S. citizens." Its warnings are "to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable."
    I'm a bit worried about the upcoming World Cup. The US National Team arrived and had to have a special force type security guys.......I wouldn't be surprised if something did happen there.........I sure as hell hope not but choosing S.Africa for something like this wasn't a great move.

slw Guest
    absolutely NOT into football AT ALL but do know BBC Sports Commentator Steve Wilson as he lives in my village and I am friends with his wife

I hope to god England lose again! I am fed up with this World Cup and it hasnt even started yet! Being Welsh, I wont be cheering on England and long for them to lose. Or maybe they should win, then they can stop living off 1966 and talk about something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    I hope to god England lose again! I am fed up with this World Cup and it hasnt even started yet! Being Welsh, I wont be cheering on England and long for them to lose. Or maybe they should win, then they can stop living off 1966 and talk about something new!
    Brilliant team of individuals but never seem to get it together on-field. Argentina are looking good and if Australia can get to the second round then I think they will have done well.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

NineTails20 Guest
    Normally, I'd support Ireland, but that cheating fucker, Thierry Henry, made sure we didn't qualify. So, I'm supporting Spain in the World Cup.

Funnily enough we were organising our World Cup sweepstake, the other day . I love sport any sport though football is way down the list , but being English I do totally agree with you . Our England rugby team have down way better and the Woman's Ironman Triathlon Champion is England's Chrissie Wellington who has won it for the last 3 years in a row in Hawaii , but you never hear about that !

As for it being in South Africa meh !! not in this lifetime . I was just on the bbc website where they were talking about the only lesbian football team where no one will have anything to do with them ... one of the international's was beaten up /raped and stabbed to death for being gay ....
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

But if anyone knows of any bars in the LA area where I could catch a couple of games in the next couple of weeks...
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    Funnily enough we were organising our World Cup sweepstake, the other day . I love sport any sport though football is way down the list , but being English I do totally agree with you . Our England rugby team have down way better and the Woman's Ironman Triathlon Champion is England's Chrissie Wellington who has won it for the last 3 years in a row in Hawaii , but you never hear about that !

As for it being in South Africa meh !! not in this lifetime . I was just on the bbc website where they were talking about the only lesbian football team where no one will have anything to do with them ... one of the international's was beaten up /raped and stabbed to death for being gay ....
    You are so right, you never hear about other teams and sports from the UK. They love to report about England and post they will win!

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    But if anyone knows of any bars in the LA area where I could catch a couple of games in the next couple of weeks...
    http://www.worldsoccerbars.com/los-angeles-soccer-bars/

Today's game were great to watch and very exciting
    if a person didn't care about the outcome.

South Africa 1 Mexico 1
    Uruguay 0 France 0

The trumpets are giving me a headache! It sounds like bees flying around! I hope they can turn the background sound down!

COME ON USA TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The trumpets are giving me a headache! It sounds like bees flying around! I hope they can turn the background sound down!

COME ON USA TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha, I always cheer on the underdog teams so
    go team USA.
    But still think England will win with or without
    "Mr. Posh Spice" playing for them.

neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-12-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    Go South Korea!!

Vuvuzela's and they are stopping no time soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    I'm watching the Argentina vs. Nigeria game on BBC1, and God bless 'em, they've lowered the volume on the background noise. Those vuvuzela's aren't too loud now.

GrinReaper Guest
    This is the only sporting event that I can think of where it is more accurate to call the winners "World Champions" than it is of winners of the World Series (That name needs to be changed since baseball is played in other countries now) the Super Bowl or any other winners of any American championship game.

And this is also the only time soccer becomes the most talked about in America even though more American children play soccer than any other sport, I guess.
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 06-12-2010 at 12:27 PM.

25. 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Vuvuzela's and they are stopping no time soon.
    So thats a name for the sounds of bees? USA Played good. England had a shock, they believed it would be a walk over. I am supporting Portgual like I do each World Cup!

Heskey was ALWAYS off side! And Rooney only started playing by the last half hour!

This past game USA. 1 England 1

Was a great game to watch and yes I
    bet the players from England will have a
    talking to Tonight.

orionova Guest
    I hope the USA wins the World Cup (they won't, but I can dream). However, once the USA goes out, I will be rooting for the England team. Not because I used to live there, or the fact that my son has dual citizenship. I want them to win so they fucking shut up about 1966!!!!!

NineTails20 Guest
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard
    Can pass the ball forty yards
    He's big and he's f**kin' hard
    Steve Gerrard, Gerrard.........

Although I'm backing Spain for the World Cup, I am first and foremost, a Liverpool supporter. Which was why I screamed when he scored; so proud of my club's captain!

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    This past game USA. 1 England 1
    So, in all head to head competition in all the World Cups so far, USA is leading England with one win and a draw. Well well well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...10/8737455.stm

Thanks the Gods.......I hate those bloody things!

neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England

Axl - Spain (unless England pull their heads out their arses in which case we'll win it hands down.)

**Update**

Axl - Spain (unless England pull their heads out their arses in which case we'll win it hands down.)
    neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...10/8737455.stm

Thanks the Gods.......I hate those bloody things!
    hope they do ..bloody things , even kids around here have been blowing the effing things all night.. going to shove them were the sun dont shine

If England dont make it I will go for Italy or Netherlands

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Don't follow it too closely but the England-US game was pretty good.

France-US would be my nightmare, honestly wouldn't know which one to pick.

I say this during every world cup, I would really love for some obscure team to win the whole thing. And as long as Germany doesn't win, I'm cool with the result (had to watch too many games there as a kid).

Right now I'm sort of rooting for Uruguay. But ask me again next week.

Actually, at the moment, my top picks, in no particular order would be: France, Uruguay, US.

NineTails20 Guest
    At the moment, it's Germany 2 Australia 0.

That was unlucky, never a red card.

Yes, I agree that straight red card Tim Cahill of
    Australia got was awful.

Fujicakes Guest
    **Update**

neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England
    Ooh ooh, add me for Brazil please

As much as I am happy that Honduras managed to squeeze in, I don't think they'll get as far as I'd like them to go. Same goes for the US team.

**Update**

deathbunny - Italia
    fujicakes - Brazil
    neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    orionova - England
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-15-2010 at 01:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

orionova Guest
    Put me down for England winning. I'm a masochist that way.

I've picked Italy ,,but after the shite they played last night

It's an odd one at the moment. What with Italy's dire performance then Portugal's goalless draw today. What the fuck's going on!?

NineTails20 Guest
    Brazil 2 North Korea 1.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's match.....La Selección play their first game of the World Cup!! YAY!

Brazil 2 North Korea 1.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's match.....La Selección play their first game of the World Cup!! YAY!
    Yes I agree, it was a good match when you think about
    how much better Brazil is ranked next to North Korea.

So enjoyed the first half.

So, in all head to head competition in all the World Cups so far, USA is leading England with one win and a draw. Well well well.

Just Reading that the English goalkeeper(Robert Green) didn't have
    his mind on the game Saturday.

Apparently the lovesick poor little thing still wasn't over his break
    up with a Canadian model - Elizabeth Minett.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 06-15-2010 at 06:48 PM.

NineTails20 Guest

GO, LA SELECCIÃ?N!!!!!!!

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Just Reading that the English goalkeeper(Robert Green) didn't have
    his mind on the game Saturday.

Apparently the lovesick poor little thing still wasn't over his break
    up with a Canadian model - Elizabeth Minett.

Can't really blame him.

GrinReaper Guest

Anyone know what stragegy is involved?

In American Football each and every play is well thought out, designed, practiced over and over. There is very little improvisation if ever at all. (That only happens after a player gets the ball and runs with it.)
    Soccer looks the opposite. It just looks like a bunch of guys running and kicking the ball around without really any plan except to get the ball in the goal or defending the goal.
    So is that it? Or is there more thought put into certain plays and having players in certain positions on the field?

GO, LA SELECCIÃ?N!!!!!!!

FAIL

Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest

FAIL

Not as big a fail as France!

Ah....revenge. Isn't it lovely?