Thread: Doris Packer 1904-1979

Lightbulb Doris Packer 1904-1979

Another wonderful character actress. She was on Dobie Gillis, and also played Beaver Cleaver's principal, Mrs. Rayburn. She was Mrs Wiley on Andy Griffith (she called Ernest T Bass a "creature"). She also was on The Beverly Hillbillies as the high-toned mother of a classmate of Ellie May's. Her last role was in Shampoo with Warren Beatty. I alway liked her ability to be funny without being funny, if you know what I mean....

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...=gr&GRid=11397
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tebssis Guest
    Didn't you just love the way she spoke to kids? Her demeaner was sooooo like "children" are so BENEATH me because they NEVER understand!

Danny62 Guest
    Packer was married to renowned Stage Director Rowland G. Edwards for twenty-five years, from 1928 until his death in 1953. Packer outlived her husband by twenty-six years, and died from natural causes in Glendale, California on March 31, 1979, at the age of 74.

Yksguy Guest
    She seemed older than mid 50s on Leave it to Beaver, to me. Was surprised to see her date of birth.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    I can't say I've seen everything she's been in but.............

HEY,..I KNOW HER!!

Ok, thanks for the info on this great character actress.

RIP Doris.

Quote Originally Posted by Yksguy View Post
    She seemed older than mid 50s on Leave it to Beaver, to me. Was surprised to see her date of birth.
    My aunt was just about her same age, and looked the same during the 50's. I agree that Packer did seem older, although she still could run away from Ernest T Bass on Andy Griffith in the 60's!