Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: National Hockey League (NHL)

Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    Well, we expect that subterfuge in the playoffs, but so early in the season?

Damn, Flames just tied on a weak shot from Bourque.

O man. I'm missing it...TSN is still showing highlights from other games.

WriterDude Guest
    OK, Duster, I'll attempt to give you the relevant -- Avs just went 3/3 on the PK, now killing ANOTHER, w/ 8:10 in the 2nd.

WriterDude Guest
    CAL now 0/4 on the PP, 5:50 left in 2nd.

WriterDude Guest
    However, Avs need to tilt the ice the other way -- Budaj is getting peppered pretty heavily this period.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    CAL now 0/4 on the PP, 5:50 left in 2nd.
    That not good (I mean, not god for us...good good for you - thanks for the updates)

jeca Guest
    Any word from Pittsburgh about the trade with Dallas? I am so upset they traded Boucher. He's my main reason for watching hockey. He's always been a fan favorite here, and I know a lot of fans are unhappy about losing him.

WriterDude Guest
    Gah -- now the Avs facing a 5-on-3 for the opening 1:30ish of the third. That's SIX consecutive penalties called in this game against the Avs, none against the Flames (aside from Nyland's and LaPerrier's pair of 5-for-fighting).

There's no way they're playing that clean a game, certainly not in a game that featured a fight less than three minutes in. Maybe this is the game the Avalanche should finally get their revenge on Bertuzzi for ending Steve Moore's career. Oh, wait -- I forgot no one cares about that anymore.

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    Any word from Pittsburgh about the trade with Dallas? I am so upset they traded Boucher. He's my main reason for watching hockey. He's always been a fan favorite here, and I know a lot of fans are unhappy about losing him.
    Couldn't find anything there, Jeca, but I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    On the other hand you get Daryl Sydor in return. Pretty even trade, although the Hockey News gives the edge to the Pens:
    http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-for-Pens.html

ghoulgurl Guest

Atlanta Flames Trivia

I contacted the Fulton County Public Library System in Atlanta and asked about the origin of the name of the Atlanta Flames. Here's their reply (in part, for the sake of brevity):

STANLEY CUP FINALS: Flames remain warm memory

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The (GA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004
    Author: MICHELLE HISKEY, JOHN MANASSO ; Staff

[SIZE=2]"In Atlanta, where the franchise got its start, former players and fans recall the team whose name and vividness drew from the city's Civil War infamy." [/SIZE]

"[SIZE=2]The team gave Atlanta four major pro teams and was the first NHL team located in the South. The Flames moved into the new waffle-topped, $17 million Omni, its garish orange and gold seats symbolizing the fiery nickname that hearkened back to Gen. Sherman's torching a century before.[/SIZE]" (Bold text theirs not mine)

Source:
    [SIZE=2]
    Edition: Home; The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Section: Sports
    Page: C1
    Record Number: 36559973
    Copyright 2004 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Happy Friday!

[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    I contacted the Fulton County Public Library System in Atlanta and asked about the origin of the name of the Atlanta Flames. Here's their reply (in part, for the sake of brevity):

STANLEY CUP FINALS: Flames remain warm memory

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The (GA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004
    Author: MICHELLE HISKEY, JOHN MANASSO ; Staff

[SIZE=2]"In Atlanta, where the franchise got its start, former players and fans recall the team whose name and vividness drew from the city's Civil War infamy." [/SIZE]

"[SIZE=2]The team gave Atlanta four major pro teams and was the first NHL team located in the South. The Flames moved into the new waffle-topped, $17 million Omni, its garish orange and gold seats symbolizing the fiery nickname that hearkened back to Gen. Sherman's torching a century before.[/SIZE]" (Bold text theirs not mine)

Source:
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Edition: Home; The Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Section: Sports[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Page: C1[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Record Number: 36559973[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Copyright 2004 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Happy Friday![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    Great work GG - that's what I call going above and beyond. Weird (and a little morbid, imo) to name your team after a war crime

Gorey Guest
    It was really difficult last night to flip between the hockey game and the Football game!! I'm tired!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorey View Post
    It was really difficult last night to flip between the hockey game and the Football game!! I'm tired!!
    There were NO hockey games on TV here last night, which is unusual. On the other hand, it meant I oculd concentrate on the Steelers game.

ghoulgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Great work GG - that's what I call going above and beyond. Weird (and a little morbid, imo) to name your team after a war crime
    Yeah, definitely creepy. That's why I wanted to know if it was really true. I'm a librarian so I like to get to the bottom of things.
    Last edited by ghoulgurl; 11-21-2008 at 01:29 PM.

the Blackhawks are playing better,i guess,than usual,But has something happened to boost their attendance this year?

is everything on schedule for the spectacle at Wrigley?
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    the Blackhawks are playing better,i guess,than usual,But has something happened to boost their attendance this year?

is everything on schedule for the spectacle at Wrigley?
    TSN was just talking about the Wrigley outdoor game today - apparently everything's ready to go. And those Hawks - man that's the team of the future . Tons of young up-and-comers. No Stanley Cup this season. But next? Or the year after? I would not be at all surprised.

onekindsistah Guest
    We got KILLED last night by the Sharks.

I just got dream tix (which were not cheap) for the 3/14 Caps/Thrashers game on the glass (freakin out here) two days before my bday, I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghoulgurl Guest
    He shoots, he scores! Sabres finally back on the board after losing 6 in a row, fingers are crossed...

There is hope in Leafland!
    Brian Burke is about to be named the team's new president and general manager. First US-born GM in Leafs' history. Also, he won the cup with the Ducks a couple of seasons ago by stocking up on Canadian players (which I'm partial to...He was once asked why he kept a particular Swedish defenceman in the lineup, since Swedes are notorious for not hitting, while Western Canadian boys are. Burke's reply: He was born in Stockholm, but he thinks he's from Red Deer."
    Let's start planning the parade

what is up with Islanders attendance? Has it always been like this?
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Gorey Guest
    Pens lost last night but they played a decent game until the end. I get to watch them again tonight too.

onekindsistah Guest
    I just got a new stick and gloves today, my friends and I play street hockey. We run around in our shoes (I'm going to learn to rollerblade soon.)

Gorey Guest
    Roller blading and Ice skating are not as hard as people make them out to be. I'm very overweight and I can do both easily. Good luck rollerblading!!!

spiritwisepi Guest
    NY Ranger fan here!

Maruz83 Guest
    We have a local team here... am not sure what it's called in Hockey .. (umm like AAA in Baseball).. the Norfolk Admirals... I love going to see the games & fights !!!

flyers-leafs playing tonight...leafs are winning 1-0 in the first period. And it was off Stepniak's foot. Bleh

whew good fight Gratton and Deveaux

WriterDude Guest
    Hello -- anyone watching the VAN-CGY game?

Gorey Guest
    What a Pens game tonight!!!! They really kicked Deviled ass. Sid got into a fight.OMG. then he made the hat trick!! Sabourin looked flawless. Pens played somewhat aggressively. Unlike last night where they were more conservative. I want a Michel Therien bobble head doll.

Oh, and former Steeler Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg today. Idiot....

Roller blading and Ice skating are not as hard as people make them out to be. I'm very overweight and I can do both easily. Good luck rollerblading!!!
    Roller hockey is sort of...I dunno. Unsatisfuing. But that's just me. Road hockey is loads of fun. But there is no replacement for the real thing.
    Once you learn to skate, you never forget. It's like riding a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    We have a local team here... am not sure what it's called in Hockey .. (umm like AAA in Baseball).. the Norfolk Admirals... I love going to see the games & fights !!!
    It's the AHL (American Hockey League) It's the next pro level below the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    whew good fight Gratton and Deveaux
    That Deveaux kid can throw 'em, eh? He's brand new here. He can't play worth a dam, but he's a good fighter. He's apparently the first ever person from Bahamas to play in the NHL (I suspect he happened to be born there and nothing else. A white kid named Andre Deveaux is a Quebecker, through and through.

What a Pens game tonight!!!! They really kicked Deviled ass. Sid got into a fight.OMG. then he made the hat trick!! Sabourin looked flawless. Pens played somewhat aggressively. Unlike last night where they were more conservative. I want a Michel Therien bobble head doll.

Oh, and former Steeler Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg today. Idiot....
    Roflmao! Nice one Gorey.
    Last edited by duster; 12-02-2008 at 09:37 AM.

RubySlippers Guest
    i never cared for roller blading. i never cared for hockey skates either. i spent a great deal of my high school life on the ice and that includes playing hockey ---but always wore figure skates...LOL. such a girly girl i am!

I've always disliked Sean Avery (he's a Toronto boy, btw.) Today he reminded me why:

BC-NHL-Avery-Suspended, 1st Writethru
    code:1
    INDEX:Celebrity, Entertainment, Sports
    HL:Avery suspended after making comments about fellow player's
    girlfriend
    THE CANADIAN PRESS
    NEW YORK -- Super-pest Sean Avery of the Dallas Stars has been
    suspended indefinitely by the NHL for conduct "detrimental to the
    league or game of hockey," the NHL announced Tuesday.
    The league imposed the ban "following inappropriate public
    comments, not pertaining to the game made by Avery earlier
    (Tuesday)."
    The NHL did not elaborate on the remarks but Avery, in Calgary
    for a game Tuesday night, turned heads by seeking out a camera and
    making comments apparently about Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf's
    private life.
    "I'm really happy to be back in Calgary. I love Canada," the
    Stars forward said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like
    a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy
    seconds.
    "I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."
    Phaneuf is dating Canadian actress Elisha Cuthbert, who once went
    out with Avery.
    The ban is indefinite pending a hearing with commissioner Gary
    Bettman.
    Dallas owner Tom Hicks also released a statement saying that he
    agreed with the league's decision.
    "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would
    have," said Hicks. "This organization will not tolerate such
    behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our
    team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."
    18:21ET 02-12-08

What a dick

RubySlippers Guest

What a dick

hey! that's my line...

what a big dummy that guy is. very junior high, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    hey! that's my line...
    what a big dummy that guy is. very junior high, if you ask me.
    Lol...Yeah. Real class, eh?

And what the hell is with Elisha Cuthbert and hockey players? She must've been a puck bunny when she was in high school.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=puck+bunny

RubySlippers Guest
    Lol...Yeah. Real class, eh?

And what the hell is with Elisha Cuthbert and hockey players? She must've been a puck bunny when she was in high school.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=puck+bunny

hee hee, puck bunny. that's funny. i have met a few in my day. OH BROTHER.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    hee hee, puck bunny. that's funny. i have met a few in my day. OH BROTHER.
    Did you look at the definition in the Urban Dictionary? They don't mince words.

RubySlippers Guest
    yes, i did. although it is like any other sport...except not such a "cute" nickname.
    flippin' hoes.

pvezz Guest
    I've always disliked Sean Avery (he's a Toronto boy, btw.) Today he reminded me why:

BC-NHL-Avery-Suspended, 1st Writethru
    code:1
    INDEX:Celebrity, Entertainment, Sports
    HL:Avery suspended after making comments about fellow player's
    girlfriend
    THE CANADIAN PRESS
    NEW YORK -- Super-pest Sean Avery of the Dallas Stars has been
    suspended indefinitely by the NHL for conduct "detrimental to the
    league or game of hockey," the NHL announced Tuesday.
    The league imposed the ban "following inappropriate public
    comments, not pertaining to the game made by Avery earlier
    (Tuesday)."
    The NHL did not elaborate on the remarks but Avery, in Calgary
    for a game Tuesday night, turned heads by seeking out a camera and
    making comments apparently about Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf's
    private life.
    "I'm really happy to be back in Calgary. I love Canada," the
    Stars forward said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like
    a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy
    seconds.
    "I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight."
    Phaneuf is dating Canadian actress Elisha Cuthbert, who once went
    out with Avery.
    The ban is indefinite pending a hearing with commissioner Gary
    Bettman.
    Dallas owner Tom Hicks also released a statement saying that he
    agreed with the league's decision.
    "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would
    have," said Hicks. "This organization will not tolerate such
    behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our
    team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."
    18:21ET 02-12-08

What a dick
    Classless PIG. Not such a great hockey player, either, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Classless PIG. Not such a great hockey player, either, IMO.
    If he didn't have a special "talent" for getting under peoples' skins, to the point that he can throw players off their game, he'd never be in the league.

I was really impressed with the Stars players. Normally, they'd rally round one of their own who'd been suspended. But the clips I heard this morning - from Mike Modano and Marty Turco - were great. They basically pointed out what a jerk-off this guy is, and how inappropriate his comments were. That's integrity.
    Also, the team VERY quickly pointed out that had the NHL not suspended Avery, the Stars organization would have.
    I think he's finished in Dallas. He's burned bridges most other places he's played, so hopefully we're witnessing the death throes of his career.

IrishBabe Guest
    Sean Avery is infamous for pissing off fellow teammates. I can't stand that fucktard.

And hey....how 'bout them Flyers?!?! They're playing so much better!

They've won a bunch in a row now haven't they? Mike Richards and Jeff Carter and Martin Biron make for a pretty strong core. You could see a Cup there within a couple of years.

rickenbacker Guest
    Other than being able to skate (which I can't, so he's got me beat!) does Avery have ANY hockey skills? Jeez. And people said Tony Twist was no "hockey player".

What was up with the dude throwing his glove last night on the breakaway?
    http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Scot...one-Blog-15299

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Other than being able to skate (which I can't, so he's got me beat!) does Avery have ANY hockey skills? Jeez. And people said Tony Twist was no "hockey player".

Wasn't that hilarious? I've never seen anything like that before. Sticks, sure. But a glove? WTF? Maybe it's a European thing. It still cost him a penalty shot though.

As for Avery, Rick...I suspect you have the same hockey skills. He was never drafted, which tells you a lot. Last year he chipped in 33 points - which makes him a marginal NHL. It's his ability to aggravate the shit out of people that keeps him in the league.

Another thing that bugs me (and Don Cherry): You don't very often see the guy fight. He pesters and pesters and pesters, but when someone invites him to drop the gloves he skates away. Moron.
    A few years back he caused a national uproar up here when he critcized French-Canadian players. Said they were sucks or some such for wearing visors. That touched off yet ANOTHER French-Canada vs. English-Canada argument. He's from Pickering, which is a suburb of Toronto, so he should have known what such an inflammatory remark about French Canadians would do. As I said: Moron.

rickenbacker Guest
    I've noticed that about Avery...he's all bluster, but he sure won't back it up!

The glove thing...I've watched it 5 times, and I still laugh!

IrishBabe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post

I know, right? I had to do a double take on that one. I think he was just frustrated...it's way out of character for Scotty to do something so stupid.

IrishBabe Guest
    You could see a Cup there within a couple of years.

From your lips to Lord Stanley's ears....

ghoulgurl Guest
    Avery apologizes..."a bad attempt to build excitement for the game"
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8I_LQD94RIOQ80

Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoulgurl View Post
    Avery apologizes..."a bad attempt to build excitement for the game"
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...8I_LQD94RIOQ80

Loser.

You know what bugged me about that "apology"? TSN was reporting this morning that his personal publicist (and what NHL player needs his own publicist?) actually wrote it for him. Avery never has actrually said anything by way of apology.

RubySlippers Guest
    "in an effort to build excitement for the game"? what an eeeeediot.

RubySlippers Guest

Joe Sakic Blows It

FANTASTIC!

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic, already sidelined by back problems, broke three fingers in a snow blower accident at his home and will be out at least three months.

The Avalanche announced Sakic had surgery Tuesday night for the broken fingers and tendon damage. Team doctor Andy Parker said the procedure went well and that Sakic is expected to make a full recovery.

Sakic was already being treated for a herniated disc, which was expected to keep him out until mid-January.

It's been an injury-riddled season for the 39-year-old Sakic, who decided to return for a 20th year after almost retiring during the offseason. Sakic had his most trying season last year, missing 38 games after hernia surgery.

The center originally strained his back in the weight room in early November, causing him to miss a game against Minnesota.

He returned two days later before being sidelined for five more games because of his bad back. He hasn't played since hurting it again in his first shift in a game at Phoenix on Nov. 28.

Sakic also missed a game this season with an infected tooth.