Thread: Kim Hunter

Danny62 Guest

Kim Hunter

She played Stella Kowalski in "A Streetcar Named Desire" (1951) co-starring Marlon Brando. Hunter was awarded a "Best Supporting Actress" Oscar for her role. She was blacklisted from film and television during the Hollywood Communist scare. She appeared in "Planet of the Apes" (1968), "Beneath The Planet of the Apes" (1970), "Escape From The Planet of the Apes" (1971), and "Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil" with Clint Eastwood and Kevin Spacey. She was married to William Baldwin in 1944, they divorced in 1946, they have one daughter, Kathy. She had a son with her second husband, actor and producer Robert Emmett. She died aged 79 from a heart attack at her Greenwich Village Apartment in New York City.

Nov 12, 1922-Sep 11, 2002

Kathyf Guest
    I really enjoyed Midnight in the Garden of good and evil.

RoRo Guest
    I thought she was great in the Ape movies...made me really care about her character.

Kim Hunter

best known for her 1951 movie "a streetcar named Desire" and playing Dr. Zira the talking chimpanzee on the first 3 Planet Of The Apes movies. the kindrid 1986. did many movies tv shows even soap operas, she died of a heart attack in 2002 at age 79. does anyone know why she was black listed?? real name Janet Cole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kim_hunter.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	4969  

Wiki says she was blacklisted from film and television during the Hollywood communism paranoia created by McCarthyism.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The 8th House Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    best known for her 1951 movie "a streetcar named Desire" and playing Dr. Zira the talking chimpanzee on the first 3 Planet Of The Apes movies. the kindrid 1986. did many movies tv shows even soap operas, she died of a heart attack in 2002 at age 79. does anyone know why she was black listed?? real name Janet Cole
    I remember her being on The Edge of Night around 1977. She played Nola Madison who IIRC was an aging movie star.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    The usual, vague references to Communist organizations to which she supposedly belonged and/or contributed to...haven't been able to find out anything more specific than that.
    The blacklisting did curtail her film career (at the time), however Hunter moved back to Broadway which accepted her with open arms. She flourished there until the Hollywood frenzy died down, then went back to making movies, though she wasn't really a particularly prolific film actress following the blacklisting.
    Many people put her down for accepting the role of 'Zira' in the Planet of the Apes films, but time has certainly proven that 'Planet of the Apes' is as much an allegorical masterpiece as any other genre classic out there.
    Personally I'm not a huge fan of Tennessee Williams, so "Streetcar" for me is not the pinnacle of Hunters' career--certainly a high point (and she did a wonderful job of balancing out the over-the-top Vivien Leigh), but her work on Broadway I think stands as her crowning achievement.