Thread: Sheldon Leonard

blair Guest

Sheldon Leonard

wiki link on Sheldon

The genius behind Danny Thomas, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke show & I Spy was an unforgettable character actor as well. He was best as the recurring 'racetrack tout' on The Jack Benny Program who would always pop up and try to talk Jack out of whatever he was doing.

Some stills of Sheldon from "It's a Wonderful Life':

'Alright you two pixies....'

one of my FAV films, especially around this time of yr!!!

Kathyf Guest
    I Love the movie and I love Andy Griffith and Dick Van Dyke.

Leonard is informally credited with inventing what we now know as the spinoff on TV, although the concept began on radio two decades earlier with Fibber McGee and Molly spinning off The Great Gildersleeve.

"Niagara Falls" routine from Bill Cosby's Wonderfulness album is a story about Sheldon Leonard. Bill Cosby starred in I Spy, one of the shows that Leonard produced.

Danny62 Guest
    Wow! I had no Idea he was in "Its a wonderful Life."

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    I saw him in an episode of I Love Lucy the other day where he sells a vaccum cleaner to Lucy lol

Danny62 Guest
    He was also in Sanford & Son. It was the last season and they were in Hawaii. He played a criminal trying to get Fred to put jewels in his suitcase and smuggle them back to the US.

He was in a lot of the old Jack Benny Radio shows and TV shows. Usually doing the, 'Psssst, hey buddy....' then trying to sell Jack something or other.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    He was in a lot of the old Jack Benny Radio shows and TV shows. Usually doing the, 'Psssst, hey buddy....' then trying to sell Jack something or other.
    Interesting. I listen to alot of Jack Benny radio shows and never knew that.

With his deep voice I think he was made
    to one day be a cartoon character.

crazedfemale Guest
    He also did an episode of "Gomer Pyle." It was when Gomer and Sgt. Carter had bit parts in a movie. Funny at the end of the episode, a young Barry Williams (Greg Brady) asked Sgt. Carter and Gomer for their autographs.

I saw Sheldon in an episode of "The Lucy Show" as well. The last thing I saw him in was "Cheers", he was the owner of "The Hungry Heifer" that Norm loved to frequent, and Norm learned that it was closing down. Norm tried to talk him into keeping it open, but in the end Sheldon's character ends up burning it down. Ol' Sheldon struck me as someone who you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley! Probably a Prince in real life, though...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!