Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Falco (1957 â?? 1998)

RoRo Guest

Falco (1957 â?? 1998)

(b. Johann Hoelzl, 19 February 1957, Austria, d. February 6, 1998, Dominican Republic).
    Pop musician Falco dies in car crash

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Falco, a classical music prodigy who turned to pop music and had a 1986 hit with "Rock Me Amadeus," has died in a traffic accident, officials said Saturday. He was 40.
    The Austrian-born singer and songwriter, whose original name was Johann Holzel, suffered a severe head injury when his sport utility vehicle collided with a bus as he was pulling onto a highway Friday evening near the resort of Puerto Plata. He died at a Puerta Plata hospital.
    There were no other injuries in the crash. Police detained the bus driver, but no charges have been filed.
    Police said Holzel was vacationing at the resort, one of the most popular tourism destinations in this Caribbean country, especially among Europeans. Falco was a classical music child prodigy who turned to pop music.
    His albums featured the synthesizer-based pop rock that was popular in the 1980s. His hits included "Der Kommisar," "Rock Me Amadeus," and "Vienna Calling."
    Officials at the hospital where Holzel died said his body was moved to Luis Eduardo Aybar Hospital in Santiago, about 35 miles south of Puerto Plata where an autopsy would be performed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reecy Guest
    RoRo you are good!

I enjoyed his music. Amadeus etc. Too bad he's gone.

Jazbabee Guest
    Rock Me Amadeus !! Kinda captures the feeling of the 80's for me

Danny62 Guest
    He has got one of the creepiest headstones I have ever seen!!! Almost looks like his ghost!!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    he was so cheesy. but it WAS the 80's after all.

Cataroo Guest
    Wow ... I think that headstone is awesome!

ComputerGuy Guest
    That is weird

There were actually a number of local versions of Rock Me Amadeus. Usually involving local radio stations with the lyrics mentioning local landmarks and disc jockies. I know Washington DC had "Rock Me 107", while Baltimore had "Rock me 106" and Virginia Beach cranked out "Rock me 104". I am sure there were many others.

I wonder if it was Falco who recorded these too?

hoxharding Guest
    I am sad to discover Falco is dead yet I love his gravestone.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Thats an amazing monument (I won't even say gravestone...it's past that.)

I wonder how much something like that costs.

I had his greatest hits back in the day of cassette tapes. Shame he died so young.

PvN73 Guest
    I love that song rock me amadeus.. I love the play on it in the Simpsons for the Planet of the Apes musical one... Doctor Zaius, Doctor Zaius ohh ohh ohh

another angle:

knothere Guest
    that has got to be the most bazzarr grave stone ever

On his tombstone it should read "NO, Not the guy who sang Puttin' On The Ritz"

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    OMG ... Puttin' on the Ritz is playing in our office right now as I'm reading this!!

Freeeeeeaky!!

I wish I could remember where I heard it. When he died (I wanna say Jon Stewart) reported the car crash adding, it was his first hit since the 80s. Still damn funny. Grew up listening to Amadeus...Loved it then love it now.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

hoxharding Guest
    It is a monument-not a gravestone. Wow, what a monument!

mgpm Guest
    Hmmm...hadn't heard of this. I like the headstone. Pretty cool.

I did think he did "Puttin' on the Ritz" but that was....Taco...not Falco...I think.

sheri Guest
    Taco sang Puttin On The Ritz...i thought his death was related to him having just fueled his car...i could be wrong...its almost 5AM and ive been up since 3AM...liked the post about it being his first hit since the 80's...lmao love it...his marker/monument...talk about being vain thats it right there i think...

spoiledkitty Guest

Falco

you know I have looked but I haven't seen a thread for him. My sister brought me home an album of his in 86' when she came back to the states from germany and as a 13 year old I latched on and was hooked ( I had a friends german mom interpret what i couldn't understand) it kinda broke my heart when I found out he died.
    Born in Vienna, he studied at the Vienna Music Conservatory. Before becoming an international rock star, he was bass player in the Austrian hard rock band Drahdiwaberl. As a solo artist, Falco had taken an interest in the sounds and rhythms of rap music, and was one of the first Europeans to incorporate rap stylings into pop and rock music. He is best known internationally for the rap-styled "Rock Me Amadeus" and reached #1 on the US charts Falco's first hit was "Der Kommissar" (a partial rap song about drug consumption) from the 1982 album Einzelhaft. An English cover version of "Der Kommissar" by After the Fire became a Top 5 hit in the United States in 1983. That same year, Laura Branigan recorded a version of the song with new English lyrics, under the title "Deep In The Dark," Other well-known international hits were "Vienna Calling" and "Jeanny" from the album Falco 3. "Jeanny" was somewhat controversial when it was released in Germany and the Netherlands, because it was told from the point of view of a rapist and possible murderer. Several DJs and radio stations refused to play the song, although it became a huge hit in many European countries, and inspired two sequels on later albums. In 1986, the album Emotional was released, produced by Rob and Ferdi Bolland. On the Album were "Jeanny Part 2- Coming Home", "The Sound of Music" and a song about Kathleen Turner and Robert Capa. In 1987, he sang a duet with Brigitte Nielsen "Body next to Body". Falco later said: "I never wanted to top the charts with her, I only wanted to go to bed with her, it was a deal." After "Jeanny", there were a number of European hits, but Falco was rarely heard in the US and the UK. His 1992 US comeback attempt, with the song "Titanic," won a number of awards, but failed to chart in America. ---------------------------------- Falco died of severe injuries received following his collision with a bus in his Mitsubishi Pajero near the resort of Puerto Plata, in the Dominican Republic on February 6, 1998 at age 40. At the time of his death, he was working on a comeback into the music world. He is buried in the Zentralfriedhof (Central Cemetery) in Vienna, Austria. ------------------------------------
    Last edited by spoiledkitty; 02-22-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Jazbabee Guest
    Maybe the Mods can merge this with the existing Falco thread ?? Check it out - it includes pics of his headstone....

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...ighlight=falco

Jazbabee Guest
    ::bump::

spoiledkitty Guest
    Thanks for the merge, maybe I was overly tired or just didn't dig deep enough into the forums. Thanks again!

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    People get Falco, the guy who sang "Rock Me" "Vienna", "Dar" confused with ....TACO? The guy who sang "Putting On The Ritz"???????
    If that's true, all I can say is.....Wow.

Interesting tidbit: The Hells Angels from the video "Rock Me Amadeus" served as pallbearers at his funeral. They were in prison at that time but were released on parole to attend the funeral.

Jack Raines Guest
    It's sad, but the only reason I know of Falco is because of that Bloodhound Gang song that mentioned him... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUJDD0Qleg

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tutter1234 View Post
    Interesting tidbit: The Hells Angels from the video "Rock Me Amadeus" served as pallbearers at his funeral. They were in prison at that time but were released on parole to attend the funeral.
    Are you serious ?? I didn't know a prison would allow that !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Are you serious ?? I didn't know a prison would allow that !!
    I read about it in the newspaper "Welt". They did an Interview with "Marie-Luise Heigel" who organized the funeral. Basically, what she said was: It was no big deal! It took just a phone call to the mayor..

I just "googled" again!
    Actually, it weren't "Hells Angels" but members of the motorcycle club " Outsider Austria".
    Here are some pics of the damaged car and bus and a pic of the funeral:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falcosarg.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	3957  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    People get Falco, the guy who sang "Rock Me" "Vienna", "Dar" confused with ....TACO? The guy who sang "Putting On The Ritz"???????
    If that's true, all I can say is.....Wow.

You are right. Taco did Putting on the Ritz.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Falcos Villa in DomRep is for rent:http://www.ferienundwohnen.de/fehaus/fh1010/index.html

Sorry, it' in german: Description: Villa, previously owned by Falco, marvellously situated in the bay of Cofresi, for rent. Completely furnished with kitchen, bar....

lostsoul23 Guest
    Wow...I know it's been said but that marker is impressive...in an odd sort of way.

BAGOBONES Guest
    Jeez I Didnt Know He Died. Cool Grave Site!!!!!!!

djdeath-hag Guest
    How can my own grave marker ever possibly out do Falco's???? I need to hit lotto before I kick!

cherryghost Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    He has got one of the creepiest headstones I have ever seen!!! Almost looks like his ghost!!!

I think it will become rather dated in time hehe!

OMG I think I see another face reflected in that bizarro headstone. So agree Dan thats OTT.

cherryghost Guest
    Sorry, it' in german: Description: Villa, previously owned by Falco, marvellously situated in the bay of Cofresi, for rent. Completely furnished with kitchen, bar....
    I think a group of us Deathhags could hire it for 6months and organise some forums and seminars! It has a bar!

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpuck19 View Post
    another angle:

That angle is phallic!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 04-06-2008 at 03:04 PM.

That is very cool trivia.

I think Falco was super, super hot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    That angle is phallic!

I think it is modeled after Cleopatra's Needle which, from what I understand, is a phallus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ad nauseam View Post
    I think it is modeled after Cleopatra's Needle which, from what I understand, is a phallus.
    Oh thanks for that info ad nauseam, yes I can usually spot a phallus a mile off!

I have never seen such an amazing headstone, phallus or not. LOL!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

mcconk2 Guest
    you don't mess with a bus

Thank you so much, ad nauseam!

More Cheese Please Guest

Agreed... smokin' hot! And thanks Tutter for the great info!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEY_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGEEB...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-L_...eature=related

Thanks More Cheese Please!

Some lesser known songs of Falco:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=WIpecqBP98M
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=BHK1er...eature=related

More Cheese Please Guest
    Those were great Tutter!!! You Rock!!!

Last edited by tutter1234; 04-14-2008 at 12:22 PM.