Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penny Marshall diagnosed with brain tumor

Penny Marshall diagnosed with brain tumor

http://www.sandiego6.com/entertainme...A.cspx?rss=804

I hope she recovers, I've always liked her.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    OMG. I hope it's not cancer.

Because if it is, in her brain and liver? NOT GOOD.

STsFirstmate Guest
    She is a very heavy smoker so that can't be good!
    regards,
    Mary

Sorry to hear this. Cancer sucks.

ajlposh Guest
    Oh dear. This does not sound good.

Snoopy Guest
    Oh no 2009 isn't done with celebs yet..Wow this sucks..hope it's not as bad as it sounds!

Sam Guest
    OMG! We CAN'T loose Laverne!

Noreen Guest
    Oh, this is awful! Always loved Penny

TallulahDahling Guest
    Oh, Man--now I feel guilty for LMAO at SNL's skit of her as "The Looker"--it was da bomb! Poor Penny

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    OMG! We CAN'T loose Laverne!
    Thats how I feel. All those years with Laverne and Shirley. No brain Tumor is good....hope this one is one they can successfully operate on.

I hope this is treatable. More than one tumor doesn't sound good. I love Penny, I wish her the best.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    If she goes I'll never be able to look at a poodle skirt the same way again. Get well, Penny.

davidbrown Guest
    I hope she gets well very soon. I love "Laverne & Shirley." In fact, I had just bought season one for my sister's birthday last month.

motherogod Guest
    This is sad. I hope she does well... not only a fun actress but pretty good on the other side of the camera.

It has already spread to her liver. Not good at all.

LoveRats Guest
    She and her publicist are vehemently denying it. We all know that means most likely it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    Oh, this is awful! Always loved Penny
    This has nothing to do with the topic, but is that Chrissie Hynde that you have as your avatar?

Pryncis Guest
    NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this... I just wanna cry now...

ajlposh Guest
    Guys, the rumors are not true. Apparently, she doesn't even have a tumor, and she just had flu-like symptoms. So i guess that means she's fine

STsFirstmate Guest
    Hmmmm not sure I buy the explanation. She is a very private person.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80513/
    This story seems pretty specific even though I have never heard fo the source.
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...n-liver-cancer
    She would definately be well enough for a yankees game after an Oct 30 biopsy.
    I quess we will see how it plays out. I hope it is just a rumor.
    Regards,
    Mary

I hope this goes well for her. Best wishes Laverne.

on a personal note - i hate the way she wears her glasses. I just want to push them up on her nose.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Hmmmm not sure I buy the explanation. She is a very private person.
    http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80513/
    This story seems pretty specific even though I have never heard fo the source.
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...n-liver-cancer
    She would definately be well enough for a yankees game after an Oct 30 biopsy.
    I quess we will see how it plays out. I hope it is just a rumor.
    Regards,
    Mary
    radaronline is heavy into Octomom coverage, so I guess we should take their story with a grain of salt.

I agree with LoveRats, though. Doesn't it seem to happen frequently that some kind of health issue with stars is strongly denied and then they die soon after? I can't think of any examples, though.

I hope she's OK and it's not true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    radaronline is heavy into Octomom coverage, so I guess we should take their story with a grain of salt.

I agree with LoveRats, though. Doesn't it seem to happen frequently that some kind of health issue with stars is strongly denied and then they die soon after? I can't think of any examples, though.
    I hope she's OK and it's not true.
    Rock Hudson comes to mind. Steve Jobs although cadaver guy isn't technically dead yet.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 11-05-2009 at 10:53 AM.

It seems like too detailed a story to be wrong.
    I think they are putting out the flu story for a cover up.

this is from the National Enquirer:

Bronx native and lifelong Yankees fan, Penny had flown from Los Angeles to New York to see her favorite team in the playoffs and hopefully in the World Series.

"After the flight, Penny felt so sick that she needed to see a doctor," continued the source.

"She was vomiting and thought it might be the flu.

"But she got the shock of her life when the doctors told her she had a tumor on both her brain and her liver.

"Doctors told her they needed to schedule her for surgery and that they'd need to take a biopsy to determine if she had cancer."
    http://www.nationalenquirer.com/penn...elebrity/67605
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    She is a very heavy smoker so that can't be good!
    regards,
    Mary
    Sadly, true. It can't be helping.

OMG! I too hope isn't cancer.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hope all is OK with her.
    Penny Marshall directed one of my favorite
    movies about baseball: A League of their own.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Oh no! NOT MS. BOTZ!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

liver cancer

PENNY MARSHALL LIVER CANCER

Bad news for the Laverne & Shirley star as Penny Marshall has been diagnosed with , The ENQUIRER has learned.

The beloved actress, well known for her feisty spirit, is determined to beat the often-deadly illness, say those close to her.

"Most people would have been devastated, crying on the shoulder of friends and family. But not Penny - she was angry!" maintained a family source. "The last thing Penny wants is for anyone to feel sorry for her."

Last week The ENQUIRER reported exclusively that the 66-year-old producer and director had been found to have brain and liver tumors.

While a biopsy performed on the brain tumor showed it to be benign, test results later came back indicating the liver tumor was malignant, says the family source.

Although some accepted a cover-up story that Penny was being "checked out for the flu," the TRUTH is that the star faces a life-or-death battle, multiple sources have confirmed to The ENQUIRER.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Roaming Tigress Guest
    So sad

havoc Guest
    Oh man.... I love Penny Marshall.

Y'all consider the National Enquirer to be the soul of journalistic integrity? Once again, I hope they are wrong.

Ted Kennedy was diagnosed, with a brain tumor, becasuse of a siezure. Throwing up, and ill, on an airplane, can be anything from turbulance, to bad food, to, why, yes, that nasty flu bug that everyone else is catching. Even though she is a very private person, the reported symtoms don't match the serious disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Y'all consider the National Enquirer to be the soul of journalistic integrity? Once again, I hope they are wrong.

Ted Kennedy was diagnosed, with a brain tumor, becasuse of a siezure. Throwing up, and ill, on an airplane, can be anything from turbulance, to bad food, to, why, yes, that nasty flu bug that everyone else is catching. Even though she is a very private person, the reported symtoms don't match the serious disease.
    The National Enquirer was the only ones following the John Edwards' case when no one else was.
    A lot of celebrities have had to fess up for illness because of the tabloids getting the story first.
    IF this thing is liver cancer, there might not be much they could do.
    I wish her the best.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

monroe62 Guest
    The Enquirer has been sued only a handful of times successfully from the gazillion stories they have published. They gotta be doing something legal.

In a way if it isn't at a really late stage and hasn't spread, liver cancer is pretty curable with transplants or you can remove the cancerous section and the liver will grow back.
    (The only internal organ that does that).
    When I had my cancer in '02 I had lesions on my liver too.
    She's strong I'm hoping she comes out of this OK.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I'm confused where you get your info Jerseysucks. I work in cancer. Liver cancer is NOT GOOD, whether it be from a primary liver tumor, or metastases to the liver (meaning it spread from somewhere else.)

Primary liver tumors are very rare, while metastatic liver tumors are not. Usually a patient lasts around 2 years at the most. Yes, there are exceptions, as in your case (congrats, by the way!) but those situations are not the rule.

In our line of work, liver and pancreas are considered very bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    I'm confused where you get your info Jerseysucks. I work in cancer. Liver cancer is NOT GOOD, whether it be from a primary liver tumor, or metastases to the liver (meaning it spread from somewhere else.)

Primary liver tumors are very rare, while metastatic liver tumors are not. Usually a patient lasts around 2 years at the most. Yes, there are exceptions, as in your case (congrats, by the way!) but those situations are not the rule.

In our line of work, liver and pancreas are considered very bad news.

I know somebody who had cancer primarily in his liver and those things I said came from his family looking shit up on the internet.
    With him he was so advanced by the time they operated on him that he only lived a few months after that.
    A tumor I believed perferated his stomach wall and that's what killed him.
    Now I learned something today about primary and metastatic tumors.
    Thanks for my continued Oncology lesson JacksGirl sorry I got my facts wrong.
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 11-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

John carpenter Guest
    Love you Penny (Laverne) Get well Soon!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Penny%20Marshall.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	16629

Snudgie Guest
    Aw crap I hope this turns out to be false.....I loved "Laverne & Shirley" as a kid....I drove my Mum mental making her sew giant "A"'s on my sweaters in Laverne style....Sending love and good thoughts to Penny...xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Snudgie View Post
    Aw crap I hope this turns out to be false.....I loved "Laverne & Shirley" as a kid....I drove my Mum mental making her sew giant "A"'s on my sweaters in Laverne style....Sending love and good thoughts to Penny...xxx
    Same here!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

STRAIGHT Guest
    That's a shame. I hope she beats it.

Bummer! I had tongue cancer twice, That killed Jack Wild. My BIL had an atv accident, they xrayed, found a large tumor in his lung, further tests revealed a brain tumor.

I was told my cancer usually spreads to the lungs. But im over two years clean. Ed Van Halen....tongue and now lung cancer.....Oh Boy. Freaks me out. I may be OUTTA here soon myself.

I dont like it here anyway.
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

From the National Enquirer

PALS: PENNY LOSING FAITH

Photo by: Splash News Online

In a bombshell new development in Penny Marshall's secret cancer battle, sources say the beloved actress is "heartbroken" because radiation and over the last two months have not been encouraging.

While Penny's rep continues to deny that she is seriously ill, a close source told The ENQUIRER that the Laverne & Shirley star believes she's losing her battle as a tumor in her liver has spread to other parts of her body.

"Penny has followed doctors' orders, but she's telling worried friends and family that if her treatment does not start to show signs of improvement within the next few weeks she's ready to give up."

"Even with the possibility of undergoing a liver transplant, Penny was told that she could die within a year because of the cancer's spread," said the family source.

"Penny is very upset because the treatments have not reduced the size of the tumors, and as a result, her doctors are not encouraged.

"She shocked everyone by saying she didn't want to 'do a Swayze,' meaning lingering on for months and months

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Good Luck, Penny. I hope this is all rumor.

I can't believe I hadn't heard this or read this about Penny Marshall until now!

I think Penny is an exceptional actress. I think she's done well behind the camera as well. I would like to think all of this tumor business is just rumor.

Giada Guest
    Sad news ... She hasn't looked healthy the last few years.

knothere Guest
    i hope she gets relief

Meli Guest
    Good god! First Patrick and now Penny, will cancer take all of my childhood?!?!?!

Praying for Penny...

The latest on Penny...

PENNY MARSHALL's BRAVE FIGHT

Photo by: splash news online

Penny Marshall is now exploring alternative medical treatments in a desperate attempt to beat her deadly cancer, The ENQUIRER has learned exclusively.

"At this point, Penny is open to anything," a family friend revealed. "She can feel herself getting worse and, according to her doctors, her condition is terminal, and she is not expected to live another year.

"Penny is still going for her radiation and chemo treatments, but now she is trying this new therapy."

Her treatment plan[, which includes special dietary supplements, acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments and analysis of alkaline, oxygen and pHbalances, is being provided by the Qianli Wellness organization, part of the Therapeutic Body Center in Grover Beach, Calif.

The goal of the treatment is to work with a therapist and get the patient's body back to its "original state" so it can begin to heal, the friend said.

Penny's daughter Tracy, who is not ill, has also been undergoing the therapy at the center, as a show of support for the Laverne & Shirley star.

"Penny's cancer has now spread to other parts of her body, and while no one is promising this treatment can cure her cancer, the hope is that it might help her body cure itself," said the friend.

While Penny's rep continues to deny that she is seriously ill, a close family source told The ENQUIRER that the beloved producer/director believes she's losing her fight with cancer, which was discovered in her liver in the fall, and has continued to spread.

"She's lost some of her hair, and her stomach is protruding from the medications," the family insider divulged.

One immediate benefit of the new treatment is that Penny, 66 - who smoked up to four packs a day before her diagnosis - has finally quit.
    Last edited by coconn04; 04-13-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay