Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sid Vicious

leeny994 Guest
    i always miss the sid and nancy spoof on the simpsons and i can't seem to find it on youtube. anyone have any links?

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I've read the book at least twice. And I think they knew they were impowering Nancy by letting her have her way, but what else could they do to keep the piece. I mean this kid was a monster--sorry, but that's the truth--and they were scared to death of her, of what she might do if she didn't get her way, and who knows what she might have done had they fought her tooth and nail. She needed treatment when there really was no adequat treatment at the time. She should have been institutionalized, and finally was sent to that home. She did not deserve to die like that, and I am not convinced Sid did it.
    Ditto. Nancy had serious mental issues since she was a kid, i remember reading that she used to curse the hell out of her parents when she was only 2!!!. i think that she only found peace in death.
    i also like the fact that her mother had her hair dyed back to her natural colour before she was buried.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Maybe they should have kept the pheno drops out of the kid.
    I know somebody else who got the pheno drops and he is one of the most substance addicted f-offs I have ever met.
    Doctors knew so much less back then.

You're right, they should not have medicated her, but they were following a doctor's advise. Now that doctor should have known better, no matter what the times and lack of real knowledge about those things were. You do not drug children, because narcotics are addictive and faciliate a propensity toward later drug abuse. Seems simple, doesn't it?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

cherryghost Guest
    Courtney and Nancy really did have a lot in common!

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Nancy , aged 12

Look into her eyes they are quite Mad! She was a very unsual looking girl I think!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Courtney and Nancy really did have a lot in common!
    Wonder what she could have done with the Nancy role in the movie?
    She wanted it but didn't get it, just got the bit part.
    Bet she would have been perfect in the role.

stacebabe Guest
    Really?

I read it as a teen, and re-read it a few times as an adult and mother, and I don't see it that way at all. I see it as parents reacting to the doctors they trusted so implicitly that they were just so helpless. Sometimes, there are kids that are just "not right" and without proper treatment, they're destined to be that way. That was especially true when Nancy was growing up in the 60's and 70's. As a mom now, I can feel Debra's helplessness. Why ruin the other 2 siblings lives? What else could they have done? You said you read it as an adult and parent, what would you have done different when all the doctors said she was fine?

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I just finished re-reading "And I don't want to live this life" by Nancy's mom. I read it the first time as soon as the book came out years ago.
    I found when I read it this time, as an adult and a parent myself, that............. an AWFUL lot in that book gets blamed on Nancy. About halfway thru the book, I was getting annoyed with it. The blame, I mean.
    After a while it seemed like it was "Oh, the sun came up and it was Nancy's fault, thats why our lives are ruined" "Oh, the yard service people were late, it's Nancy's fault, our lives are ruined" "The new toaster burned the toast, it's Nancy's fault, she's whats ruining our lives"

I am being silly of course, thats not exactly what was written, but still....
    There were an awful lot of instances where they just let her have her way to keep her quiet, and when they did that, they broke a serious rule of parenting. And the more they did it, the more she learned to get crazier every time to get her way. Kids are a quick study.
    Before anyone jumps my azz here, believe me when I say I know the crazy shite the girl did, alot of it was deathly serious, and I also do know that her family lived thru hell. I am not putting down what happened to them in any way. She did seem to be mentally ill.
    I think what I am trying to say here, is that I read this book with a new perspective about her early years......

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    Really?

I read it as a teen, and re-read it a few times as an adult and mother, and I don't see it that way at all. I see it as parents reacting to the doctors they trusted so implicitly that they were just so helpless. Sometimes, there are kids that are just "not right" and without proper treatment, they're destined to be that way. That was especially true when Nancy was growing up in the 60's and 70's. As a mom now, I can feel Debra's helplessness. Why ruin the other 2 siblings lives? What else could they have done? You said you read it as an adult and parent, what would you have done different when all the doctors said she was fine?
    What I said was that halfway thru the book the blame thing became very heavy handed.
    I also said that I wasn't cutting down what that family went thru in any way. And I wasn't.
    Simply looking at things with a bit of different perspective than before.

spoiledkitty Guest

Mommica Guest

Smile Sid Ritchie and Nancy Spungen?

I didn't look through every page so forgive me if it's already been posted. But I didn't see either of them in the Find a Death directory, and was kinda bummed; I've only recently really discovered the Sex Pistols and would like to learn a bit more about their deaths....anyone? Pics are welcome!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Bah bump

endsleigh03 Guest
    Ummm...there is a thread on this with alot of info and a few arguments...I just bumped it up, enjoy

Mamma Guest
    Sid Vicious = Simon Ritchie? Oh, yeah there's lots. Search Nancy Spungen, Sid Vicious, they're all there.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    Sid Vicious = Simon Ritchie? Oh, yeah there's lots. Search Nancy Spungen, Sid Vicious, they're all there.
    Hey Mamma, where ya been?

Mamma Guest
    Hey Ends! Exhausted, you have no idea! Just a busy time of year, from politics to weddings, and a ton of deadlines to meet .

Mommica Guest

Smile Ah. I see.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Ummm...there is a thread on this with alot of info and a few arguments...I just bumped it up, enjoy

Thanks! I read through all these posts and last night ordered the book by Nancy's mom; I think my husband is a little freaked that I"ve become so fascinated with it, but oh well. I can't wait to get the book and read it, after that I plan to get one about Sid.

Can't find death photo of Sid...anyone else have one they can share?

BTW I'm new here, so hello everyone!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommica View Post
    Thanks! I read through all these posts and last night ordered the book by Nancy's mom; I think my husband is a little freaked that I"ve become so fascinated with it, but oh well. I can't wait to get the book and read it, after that I plan to get one about Sid.

Can't find death photo of Sid...anyone else have one they can share?

BTW I'm new here, so hello everyone!
    Hey Mommica, welcome
    Nancy's mom's book is a good one (even if I view it slightly different than before, which I do, and stand by that)
    There are some good Sid books out there, also. Alan Parker has done several, tho it does seem he may have been overly-influenced by Sid's mom (she wrote a "Sid Vicious family album" way back when, a cash-in if there ever was one).
    Have fun, it's a great story and addicting (no pun intended )
    Check this link, I like this site.
    http://www.punk77.co.uk/index.htm
    ends
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 03-24-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Mommica Guest
    I'm wondering how I'll view the book since this will be the first time I"ve read it AND I'm a mother of 2. Although from everything I've been able to get my paws on already, I can see that she was just a deeply disturbed girl. The whole thing sounds so incredibly sad to me. (Off subject, but I also ordered a book about Elizabeth of Bathory that I can't WAIT to dive into either!)

Does anybody else think that Nancy looked like bernadette Peters in that pic of her & Sid?

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    Does anybody else think that Nancy looked like bernadette Peters in that pic of her & Sid?
    hey now that you mention it---i think she does... lol

i have 2 love birds named sid and nancy (well I have 6--Lucy and Desi, Jackie and Irving and Sid and Nancy)

Mach2 Guest
    One day she made Sid so mad that he stabbed her to death with a very big knife. Everybody that knew Nancy had had it with her crap.

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post
    The whole situation of Sid and his addiction and death are very tragic, considering he was practically a baby. I think Nancy's influence had ALOT to do with him getting on heroin.
    You can say that about Cobain and Lennon too. Control freak GFs using heroin to control the famous BF.

KarmaKat Guest
    Yeah you can. But Sid was more naive than those guys when he meet Nancy. He was so in love with her she could have made him do anything. Unfortunately his first love was fatal.

Seagorath Guest
    Didn't a young Courtney Love also make an appearance (secondarily) in the film Sid and Nancy? The dude that played Malcolm was always my favorite...very pervy...

KarmaKat Guest
    Yeah she did. Apparently she really wanted to play Nancy but didnt get the role. Awesome film. All the casting was really well done. They should make more good rock movie's like that one. There is some really good doco's about the Pistols and sid as well

erictheking97 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    that's true. it WAS good tv. but I just think Johnny HAS to be as shocking as possible to make up for his lack of talent.
    No less talent than MR VICIOUS

leeny994 Guest
    when people mention the version of MY WAY played at the end of Goodfellas no one ever believes me when I tell them that its Sid singing... i do not know why

the other day I was eating with friends at a diner down the street from the Chelsea and some teeny tweens were across from us and shouting that they were staying in the infamous Room 100 at the Chelsea. (where the Sid and Nancy episode took place)
    They were so annoying that I had to be a brat and burst their bubble and inform them that Room 100 is and has been long gone for many many years now....
    Last edited by leeny994; 08-16-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Seagorath Guest
    Nancy was such a whore...but I dig her.

leeny994 Guest
    i think it is mentioned in one of the posts on this thread--but before Sid Nancy was a groupie of sorts for the New York Dolls--and worked as a prostitute. i do not know how or what prompted her move to England---but I guess when the Dolls broke up that is when she wound up in England and then--well so forth and so on....

I just think Nancy was a troubled soul, and a brat by nature--hence her screaming demanding nature and clearly her family did not take proper steps to help her---or were not guided in what should have been the proper steps to help Nancy and thus the downward spiral began.

KarmaKat Guest
    Nancy went to England with one goal in mind. To bed a Sex Pistol. She tried it on with Johnny but he sent her packing because he always said he knew she was trouble right from the word go. So she moved on to poor Sid who became infatuated by her.

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKat View Post
    Nancy went to England with one goal in mind. To bed a Sex Pistol. She tried it on with Johnny but he sent her packing because he always said he knew she was trouble right from the word go. So she moved on to poor Sid who became infatuated by her.
    thats the way i thought the story always wound up.

stacebabe Guest
    According to her Mom's book, it was because the "New York Scene is Dead" or something like that. I'm guessing it was more because NY became aware of how much trouble she was, and the groupie scene was awesome in England, so she flew to England, and when she got there, she realized the SPs were the biggest things going, so she went after a SP.

She first went after Johnny Rotten, who wanted nothing to do with her, and quickly moved on to Sid, who did.

Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    i think it is mentioned in one of the posts on this thread--but before Sid Nancy was a groupie of sorts for the New York Dolls--and worked as a prostitute. i do not know how or what prompted her move to England---but I guess when the Dolls broke up that is when she wound up in England and then--well so forth and so on....

I just think Nancy was a troubled soul, and a brat by nature--hence her screaming demanding nature and clearly her family did not take proper steps to help her---or were not guided in what should have been the proper steps to help Nancy and thus the downward spiral began.

leeny994 Guest
    i have to read her book--i always mean to i just never do---

leeny994 Guest
    and then there is always the Rockets Redglare take on the situation...

stacebabe Guest
    Actually, if you read her mother's book , or anything at all regarding her early life, her parents did EVERYTHING THEY COULD to help her. There was NO helping her. There weren't the resources there are today. There was no guidance, they kept being told THEY were doing something wrong. Nancy was also diagnosed as a schizophrenic, something the parents didn't find out until after she died. If they had known, they may have had more options.

stacebabe Guest
    I read it as a teen, mostly because of the "Sid & Nancy" factor. Then I found it in my dad's attic, and read it as an adult (and also a mother) and took a totally different perspective on it. The hell her family went through was just awful, and worse than that was that NOBODY would help her parents. Everyone kept telling her parents it was THEM.

i have to read her book--i always mean to i just never do---

leeny994 Guest
    I read it as a teen, mostly because of the "Sid & Nancy" factor. Then I found it in my dad's attic, and read it as an adult (and also a mother) and took a totally different perspective on it. The hell her family went through was just awful, and worse than that was that NOBODY would help her parents. Everyone kept telling her parents it was THEM.

i think in the time Nancy grew up the resources just did not exist. i have an uncle who would have been a bit older than nancy and he had many issues--different than nancy but needing the same level of help--and my grandmother looked and looked and looked---but on a very limited budget and virtually no resources she was never able to get very far. and like nancy's family she was told by several it was her/them and it clearly was not. thank goodness times have changed.

stacebabe Guest
    Some say he killed her.... and don't get me wrong, there were certainly enough people she annoyed enough to want to bash her head in, but that's what makes me believe it was Sid. One stab wound. That's it. That's what killed her. I think if it were someone like Redglare that wanted to kill her, or anyone that wanted to kill her, you would've seen a RAGE scene. All poor, pitiful Sid could muster up (and yes, I believe he stabbed her, probably at her goading) was one stab wound.

and then there is always the Rockets Redglare take on the situation...

stacebabe Guest
    My mom was bi-polar. There was alot of things I think that could've helped her if she had been diagnosed earlier. As it was, she was diagnosed a year before she died. NOW I get it. THEN I didn't. According to everyone on my mom's side of the family, she was just a "bad seed".

i think in the time Nancy grew up the resources just did not exist. i have an uncle who would have been a bit older than nancy and he had many issues--different than nancy but needing the same level of help--and my grandmother looked and looked and looked---but on a very limited budget and virtually no resources she was never able to get very far. and like nancy's family she was told by several it was her/them and it clearly was not. thank goodness times have changed.

leeny994 Guest
    true rockets probably--if he or anyone would have done it other than sid---would have probably gotten so ticked off at something she said or did and then-would fly off the handle.
    i know it was and has been a theory that rockets killed nancy and that is why he made sure the more pure heroin got to sid the night sid died--- etc etc. but..... like u said--one stab wound---thats what also leads me to believe it was sid as well.

stacebabe Guest
    According to something I saw somewhere, a guy named Peter gave him the heroin. The theory is that he gave it to his mom to ration off, and, well, there's a couple of theories -- one is that he found it, and took it all, and the other is that his mother shot him up with a lethal dose (which she supposedly confessed to on her deathbed) because she knew he'd be better off dead than dealing with the trial that he'd likely go to jail for life for.

true rockets probably--if he or anyone would have done it other than sid---would have probably gotten so ticked off at something she said or did and then-would fly off the handle.
    i know it was and has been a theory that rockets killed nancy and that is why he made sure the more pure heroin got to sid the night sid died--- etc etc. but..... like u said--one stab wound---thats what also leads me to believe it was sid as well.

leeny994 Guest
    i have also heard rockets was there when whomever got the heroin for sid that night and he basically looked over whomever's shoulder to make sure it was more pure....

i think that is one of the tons of stories circulating about that night

leeny994 Guest
    unless there is more to the story and there are other reasons someone would want sid dead

no not really i just watch law and order too much

stacebabe Guest
    Either way, I think it's better than him standing trial. He wrote to Nancy's mother....he, I believe, honest to God loved her. In fact, the title of her book, "And I don't want to live this life" was from one of the letters he wrote to Deborah Spungen.

i have also heard rockets was there when whomever got the heroin for sid that night and he basically looked over whomever's shoulder to make sure it was more pure....

i think that is one of the tons of stories circulating about that night

leeny994 Guest
    i do believe he loved her---i do not know why---i just remember the scene in sid and nancy when they were in bed in the chelsea--nancy was even wearing flannel and they talk about how they haven't been intimate in a long while and they just kiss and go to sleep---mainly due to being so high---but still it was---strange but oddly sweet

leeny994 Guest
    rockets was just special himself. he was also an associate of Jean Michele Basquiat also--someone with a substance problem

stacebabe Guest
    While I think alot of that movie was sort of baloney, I do believe the "being so high" thing....you can totally see it in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKP2l2W5xI

i do believe he loved her---i do not know why---i just remember the scene in sid and nancy when they were in bed in the chelsea--nancy was even wearing flannel and they talk about how they haven't been intimate in a long while and they just kiss and go to sleep---mainly due to being so high---but still it was---strange but oddly sweet

leeny994 Guest
    While I think alot of that movie was sort of baloney, I do believe the "being so high" thing....you can totally see it in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKP2l2W5xI

i agree most of it was baloney on a roll---- i like Gary Oldman.... ahhhhhh

i would watch a movie of him making a baloney sandwich

leeny994 Guest
    that was an interesting clip lol