Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Orleans Upstairs Lounge Fire! Warning: Dead Pics!

Bayou Queen, you are in violation of Rule 7: Copying Content Excessively from an External Source. The rule of thumb is paste a blurb and a link to the whole article. We don't want Scott to get into trouble for copyright infringement. Please edit it to comply with FAQ.

Also, I have moved this here, to the original thread. Please do a search before creating a new thread.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bayou Queen Guest
    I am so sorry Cindy, I thought I was just copying from the newspaper, I didn't know. Should I delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Queen View Post
    I am so sorry Cindy, I thought I was just copying from the newspaper, I didn't know. Should I delete it?
    It doesn't matter if something is copied from a newspaper, because they have copyrights to their material too. Just edit it down. Leave a blurb and the link(s) to the rest of the article(s). Some of what you copied and pasted came from one of the links at the bottom of the page that flipped over to a video, with the info below it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

If you look closely at this pic, there is a person completely charred behind the man at the window
    I don't think it is two men. I think it is one man who was crawling on top of a table backwards, trying to force the bars off by kicking. The body seems to be in an "all fours" position.

Bayou Queen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    It doesn't matter if something is copied from a newspaper, because they have copyrights to their material too. Just edit it down. Leave a blurb and the link(s) to the rest of the article(s). Some of what you copied and pasted came from one of the links at the bottom of the page that flipped over to a video, with the info below it.
    Sorry again, sometimes I feel like a waste of brain matter! I would never want to do anything to cause Scott any problems. Will certainly be more careful from now on!

40 years ago yesterday...

Some things should never be forgotten...

Bayou Queen Guest
    I looked on Wikipedia and there was a list of all the victims and I saw the name of my friends Dad. I know many of the other victims must also have families that are still alive. It's tragic enough to lose a loved one, then to lose them this way is unfathomable, but then they were not able to bury their loved ones properly. Hopefully this anniversary rememberence will somehow bring some comfort to the families, that their lives mattered and they were loved.
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 06-25-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Lisamarie, did you ever get a chance to take any pics of the building?
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I've been obsessed with this story for a while. It's nice that The Jimani acknowledges the event on their website. It can't hurt business, either. I don't mean that in any nasty way. It seems they have a good heart. http://www.thejimani.com/thehistoryo...irslounge.html
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

Great site Scott -thanks for that - I have to admit it's got under my skin a bit too...

amateur youtube video of a 'tour' upstairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYOMV7mObM

It's comming up to the anniversary of this horrible fire again - I don't know why but this one is under my skin more than the station or Our Lady of Angels, but I certaily feel these people who died, even those who are burried in unmarked graves, should never be forgotten.

https://youtu.be/LUph_JNyH8I

This is a link to "Tracking Fire: A Documetary About the Upstairs Lounge Fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    https://youtu.be/LUph_JNyH8I

This is a link to "Tracking Fire: A Documetary About the Upstairs Lounge Fire."

Thanks for that Alanwench - I hadn't seenthat one!

A family learns what happened to their long-lost relative

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...92-171/finding

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Veuve, wow thanks for posting that link, it would be hard not knowing all those years what happened to a family member like that. Glad they finally found out what happened to him and are able to have some closure, I hope and wish that they find the person or persons who started that fire. Also just found this website of pictures of the lounge before the fire. Shows the inside and what it looked like and some of the people that went there.

http://exhibits.lgbtran.org/exhibits...pstairs-lounge
    Last edited by pkstracy; 06-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Here is the full list of the dead.

Joseph Henry Adams-51
    Reginald Eugene Adams JR

Guy Anderson

Joe William "Bill" Bailey-29

Luther Boggs 47 He died July 10th.

Louis Horace Broussard- 29 He is on the right

Herbert Dean Cooley- 32 Bartender of the Lounge, last to be identified.
    Donald Walter Dunbar-21
    Adam Roland Fontenot-32, Bartender, Led Many People to safety

David Stuart Gary-22

Horace Skip Getchell-35

John Thomas Golding-49

Gerald Hoyt Gordon-37 Air Force Vet

Glenn Richard" Dick "Green-32 Navy Vet

James Walls Hambrick-45 Navy Vet Died June 28th 1973

Kenneth Paul Harrington-48 Federal Government Employee

William R. Larson-47, Pastor

Ferris Leblanc-buried in Potter's Field, unclaimed until 2015.

Robert K Lumpkin-29

Clarence Joseph McCloskey Jr. 48
    Duane George "Mitch" Mitchell 31 assistant Pastor (See photo of Louis Broussuard Photo)
    Leon Richard Maples- 31 This picture was taken the day of the fire.

George Steven "Bud" Matyi-25, Musician

Larry Stratton-25

Eddie Hosea Warren-24
    Mrs. Willie Inez Warren-59 Mother of Eddie and James
    James Curtis Warren--26
    Dr. Perry Lane Waters Jr. -41 Dentist

Douglas Maxwell Williams JR-20

There are three more men, who are unidentified. A lot of the victims were members of the Metropolitan Community Church, Where William Larson preached and was deacon.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 06-10-2015 at 12:17 PM.

It seems that the family of Ines, James and Eddie filed a suit against the Lounge for 13.9 million dollars, but the Lounge was found to be not liable to the families of the victims.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 06-10-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Bump

I'm amazed that we live in a world where someone would murder people over their sexual preference or gender identity.

Alas I stopped being amazed by it many years ago :-(

Amazon has the Johnny Townsend book, Let the Faggots Burn! The Upstairs Lounge Fire.I have to replace a dryer, so ordering the book right now can't be done. If anyone buys this book, please let me know if it is worth purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I'm amazed that we live in a world where someone would murder people over their sexual preference or gender identity.
    I agree even though despite what happened in Orlando recently and the passing of those so-called "religious freedom" laws in a few places a lot of the older gay men & women would probably say that today is about the best time in history to be gay since they can remember the way it was. Younger gay men & women wouldn't remember the days of Anita Bryant, so much constant discrimination against gays to the point where they lived in fear every single day and how many back in 1977 even had a hard time dealing with the Jody ( played by Billy Crystal ) character on Soap. The idea of legal gay marriage in 1977 or even in 1987 ?? HA HA HA HA !! Talk about "..you've come a long way baby !!".
    Last edited by choff; 07-09-2016 at 07:40 PM.

I have it on my kindle have not read it yet.

This is the link to the Amazon page for the book. Thanks, pkstracy, please keep me posted about your review of this book . I found another book on the fire:https://www.amazon.com/Let-Faggots-B...68542371&sr=1-
    1&keywords=Let+the+Faggots+Burn%21
    https://www.amazon.com/Up-Stairs-Lou...0YT44YZQ0M9A6S
    Last edited by Alanwench; 07-14-2016 at 05:33 PM.

It was an okay read not good but not great, sorry took me awhile to get back to you on it. Found this as well. https://www.amazon.com/Upstairs-Infe...PP4FBN0V7RB37H

I am currently reading Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the UpStairs Lounge Fire by Robert Fieseler. It is extremely well written and intense. It is an overused cliche, but I felt that I was in the room while it burned. The details are searing. For example, bartender Buddy Rasmussen escapes the blaze, saving at least 25 people. He realizes once he is outside in the street that his partner is missing. Buddy looks up to see the Rev. Bill Larson's corpse in the window. Rasmussen looked behind the body, and saw the corpse of his lover (Adam Fontenot) burning, still seated on the barstool. He then saw the horrifying sight of high pressure water from a firefighter 's hose knock Fontenot's corpse to the floor.

Not sure if people know but there is a documentary about the tragedy called Upstairs Inferno that is currently on the US & UK Amazon sites for people to either buy or rent. It talks to survivors and family members of the dead.

There was also a ABC special about it that aired back in 2018 called Prejudice & Pride where clips from the documentary are shown. A portion of it is focused on the family of Ferris LeBlanc who only found out about his death in 2015 and hoped to get his remains so he could be buried properly but it was an uphill struggle. It's only on for half an hour but it's worth watching as you get accounts from survivors, first responders and others who were there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPWrK9Pu7Gk

30. 02-19-2020, 12:42 AM

31. 02-19-2020, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the link to the ABC program, Shellc. I don't know how Ricky Everett was able to climb those stairs and reenter the former lounge.
    As of now, I finished the other book and am now reading Let the Faggots Burn. It gives more details about some of the victim's and survivors ' lives.
    Rodger Nunez, the man who was believed to be the arsonist, was conflicted about being gay. No one knows if this impacted his violent behavior.
    Nunez met a nun in New Orleans before he died and confessed to setting the fire. He called her "Mawa," baby talk for mama. During Nunez 's autopsy, a tumor was discovered in his brain. The pathologist was unable to determine if this made Nunez violent. It is unknown if Nunez's guilt played a part in his suicide or if his grand mal seizures triggered his decision to end his life. The nun left her religious order, married and left New Orleans about ten years ago. Before leaving, she located the former Fire Chief of the NOFD and told him about Nunez confessing to burning the UpStairs Lounge. The Fire Chief was stunned, but was relieved to have closure.
    The sons of MCC Deacon Mitch Mitchell saw their dad for the last time when he dropped them off at a New Orleans movie theater. Mitchell and his partner promised to be there when "The World's Greatest Athlete" was over.
    Duane jr , 11 and his little brother, 8, were surprised to not see their dad after the movie. The boys thought that maybe their dad was running late and went back to watch the movie again. Four hours later, both boys were scared and crying, asking the manager of the theater to help them. Duane jr provided the name of a neighbor and she picked them up. She contacted the boy's mother in Alabama before picking up the boys and told her about the fire that was on the news. Plane tickets back to Alabama were waiting for the boys at the airport. They were initially told that their dad had been hurt in the fire. When they got home their grandparents broke the sad news about their father's death.
    Mitch Mitchell initially escaped the lounge thanks to Buddy Rasmussen, but went back into the fire to try to save his partner. Both men were found under the baby grand piano, embracing each other. They had to be identified by dental records.