Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soupy Sales

Shannon Guest
    My brother and recently myself have had the priv of doing some work in the house Soupy lived in in Detroit during the 50's
    Here is the house

Shannon Guest
    When you first walk in and look to the left you see these doors to the livingroom and in the back is the dining room. No we are not sure why the Christmas tree was up in the summer.

A better look into the room

The den

Shannon Guest
    The master bedroom

The bar

The kitchen

Shannon Guest
    The master bathroom. My bro redid the tile work

the light blue toilet and sink are from 1920, I know cuz I took the lid off the tank where the date is.

Bathroom 2

Shannon Guest
    The pool that had seen better days. It is gone now.

A look out at the back yeard from the sunroom.

Shannon Guest
    The bathroom people would use when partying outside. My brother in the mirror. Don't know why but I like the tiles alot, wish I could have seen the place in its good days

this closet (that I had to paint) is right next to the doors that go into the livingroon. The cubby you see is about a foot wide and about 4 feet tall, we aer not sure of its use.

Me inside the cubby. Yes I had to paint in there too and yes I still am hurting a bit.
    Last edited by Shannon; 12-10-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Shannon Guest
    Lastly since Scott likes to get pics of mailboxes here is Soup's

and the inside, you can see the hinges where there once was a little door

We will be doing more work on the house. I will keep you posted!

davidbrown Guest
    Thank you so much for the great pics, Shannon!!

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    Thank you so much for the great pics, Shannon!!
    No prob. Thanks for looking. It was fun sharing the pics. I will probably have more cuz the current owners want the kitchen redone.

Is the house actually in the city of Detroit, or in the subs? Just curious, since the style of it makes me think of Livonia or Sterling Heights or something.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    Is the house actually in the city of Detroit, or in the subs? Just curious, since the style of it makes me think of Livonia or Sterling Heights or something.
    Yes it's in the city. Not far from Palmer Park if you know where that is. As an employee I can't give the address or I would. It is very fancy, built in 1953, but needed lots of tlc. The lady who lives there is very old and her grandaughter is taking care of things now. Some of the inner walls were crumbling. My brother does very good work and made them look like new!

Seagorath Guest
    R.I.P., friend.

Pat MaGroin Guest

Soupy Sales Home Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Lastly since Scott likes to get pics of mailboxes here is Soup's

and the inside, you can see the hinges where there once was a little door

We will be doing more work on the house. I will keep you posted!
    Great Pictures Shannon! Good job!

Mulvaness Guest
    LOVED Soupy Sales!

Pat MaGroin Guest

Soupy's Funeral/Professor Irwin Corey's Eulogy.

Here is a link to the Naked Lady Soupy Sales bit that won't be removed -

http://www.detroitkidshow.com/naked_soupy.htm

Click the link and look down and to the right. Look for DO NOT CLICK ON THE PHOTO! Then do just what you would do if you were a kid and told not to click something - CLICK IT!

And I thought this was interesting about Soupy's funeral last year (Oct 26, 2009), especially Professor Irwin Corey:

"Professor Irwin Corey had to be removed from the podium after his eulogy turned into a diatribe about health-care reform, in which he insisted that Soupy -- along with Odetta, Eartha Kitt and Miriam Makeba -- died prematurely because of inadequate treatment."

I'm sure somebody soon will be complaining that inadequate treatment did Professor Irwin Corey in too. (How old is he anyway, he has to be in his 90s...?)

Soupy Sales goes out with love

Last Updated: 5:03 PM, October 27, 2009
    Posted: 12:54 AM, October 27, 2009
    SOUPY Sales would have loved his memorial yesterday at the Riverside Funeral Home. Freddie Roman, Joe Franklin and Kenny Kramer -- who inspired the character played by Michael Richards on "Seinfeld" -- were among those who paid their last respects. One of Soupy's two rock musician sons, Tony or Hunt -- our source didn't know which -- recalled his dad's advice: "Be true to your teeth, and they won't be false to you." Professor Irwin Corey had to be removed from the podium after his eulogy turned into a diatribe about health-care reform, in which he insisted that Soupy -- along with Odetta, Eartha Kitt and Miriam Makeba -- died prematurely because of inadequate treatment. And a female rabbi told the crowd that Soupy's parents, Irving and Sadie Supman, the only Jewish family in Franklinton, NC, owned a dry-goods store and sold sheets to the Ku Klux Klan.
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 01-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Shannon Guest
    To Pat, thank you much! Do you think it's true about his folks selling sheets to the kkk? Maybe they did not know they were members or what the sheets were for if it is true.

STsFirstmate Guest
    To Pat, thank you much! Do you think it's true about his folks selling sheets to the kkk? Maybe they did not know they were members or what the sheets were for if it is true.
    "The possibility of humor dogged Sales from the start. He was born Milton Supman on Jan. 28, 1926, in the North Carolina backwater of Franklinton. The Supmans were the only Jews in town. Sales' father ran a dry goods store that sold sheets to the Ku Klux Klan."
    This was an exerpt from his LA Times obit.
    He was Jewish and from a Jewish family. I am sure they were pretty much the only Jews in that little town.
    There was one Jewish family in the little Kentucky town near the holler where I was born , Somerset. They were the Goldenbergs and they ran Goldenberg Furniture for two generations. I know for a fact they sold furniture to the Klan because my Uncle bought from them and he was definitely in the Klan.
    If you refused to sell to anyone associated with the Klan back in the bad old days the fire department would have been severely delayed on the way to water the ashes in the remains of your business.
    Black folks worked for and lived on property owned by klansmen and not much they could really do about it.
    Regards,
    Mary

Shannon Guest
    It's amazing to me how such stupid people had (and have?) so much power in the world. Pretty sad:/
    thanks for the info!

STsFirstmate Guest
    It's amazing to me how such stupid people had (and have?) so much power in the world. Pretty sad:/
    thanks for the info!
    Take heart in the fact that it appalls you that it happened and it upsets 90 plus percent of people who hear it today. That is progress and that is very very good!
    Regards,
    Mary

chris jones Guest
    What? No mention of White Fang and Black Tooth? I had both puppets as a kid watching the show in the late 50s in L.A.

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chris jones View Post
    What? No mention of White Fang and Black Tooth? I had both puppets as a kid watching the show in the late 50s in L.A.
    YOU DID! Were they just arms or did they have bodies? I have been looking for a White Fang something but the only merorabila(sp?) I can find is for Pookey. White fang is my favorit it probably sounds funny but I can do Fang's voice perfectly. So I thought when I got some extra cash Id get some fabric and make Fang gloves

Soupy and the boys looks ,and especialy Soupys demeanor reminds me of Ray Davies.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    Soupy and the boys looks ,and especialy Soupys demeanor reminds me of Ray Davies.
    Now that you mention it, yes I can see that lol. And Soup made music too ha ha, but I actually like his "Hey Pearl" song.

I just saw this thread. I love Soupy he was so original and funny. Who else could make you laugh looking at pookie that silly puppet and fang a hairy arm! He was the best I only wish he hit me with a pie. Thanks Soupy

Reecy Guest

Thumbs up

Shannon I loved those pics. I found it quite shocking about the KKK and the selling of sheets. Woah.........

I love coming to this site and seeing these fantastic pictures. You Death Hags are the best!

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    Shannon I loved those pics. I found it quite shocking about the KKK and the selling of sheets. Woah.........

I love coming to this site and seeing these fantastic pictures. You Death Hags are the best!
    Cool, thanks alot
    I enjoyed sharing the pics. And also love reading info here that otherwise would go unknown. I love the fact that people can speak of things here that the major of the public don't dare talk about.

Soupy never failed to make me laugh, whether it was on his childrens show or as a panelist on "What's My Line." I met him right after he had his book published at an autograph show in North Hollywood. Although he looked frail, he took the time to talk to everyone who stopped at his table. I was fortunate enough to have him sign his book for me, along with an autographed photo. As I thanked him and began to walk away, he told me to be a good boy, stay out of mischief and that he loved me - a 50 year old man! Soupy was quite a guy!!

Shannon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
    Soupy never failed to make me laugh, whether it was on his childrens show or as a panelist on "What's My Line." I met him right after he had his book published at an autograph show in North Hollywood. Although he looked frail, he took the time to talk to everyone who stopped at his table. I was fortunate enough to have him sign his book for me, along with an autographed photo. As I thanked him and began to walk away, he told me to be a good boy, stay out of mischief and that he loved me - a 50 year old man! Soupy was quite a guy!!
    How cute! Soupy seemed like a sweet guy, a real gem. I did not grow up watching Soup, I have just found an appreciation for him after the job I had in his old house, I found some of the shows on YouTube and they are hilareous. I think if they played them for kids today the humor still holds up. I showed some to my 10 year old niece and she thinks he is great too!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
    What a great story! I really miss that guy.
    Cindy

Shannon Guest
    I forgot to tell you guys the cool thing that happend.
    The last day I worked in the Soupy house the woman who is in charge of the house and her old mother (whom is the one who actuly bought the house from Soup) was there. I had seen this Eames style chair that I fell in love with. When nobody was around I looked underneath it and it had some tags, one said Plycraft and delivery date 1964. Anyhow, they were just tossing old things in a rented dumpster (the company name was Dis Junk, lol), so I said to her if she ever wanted to sell the chair give me first dibbs. She said she would. Not a week later my brother went to finish up some little things and I was not there. The lady gave him the chair and told him "this is for Shannon". How neat is that! It's in very good shape, just missing a little rubbery foot from one of the legs. I went online to see if I could find a chair that looked like mine. Found a link
    http://www.phoenixmetroretro.com/seating.html
    the chair looks the most like the one in the 4th row, 3rd from left. The only thing difrent is mine has black vinyl. It swivels as I belive the one in the link does.
    Last edited by Shannon; 08-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.