Thread: Teen dies after using birth-control patch

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest

Teen dies after using birth-control patch

ChargerBill Guest
    Tragic

The device works!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    The device works!
    Bwah!

That mom is right: the company should be taken to task for the drug. But they have so much money they'll just settle out of court and continue to produce it. I can't believe the FDA hasn't moved to take it off the market. In the end, I'm guessing it's all about numbers. If the percentage of serious side effects and/or death is low enough, it stays on the market. If it goes above a certain percentage, it gets pulled. I don't know, of course, but it seems plausible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nelliebean Guest
    How many dead women will it take to have it pulled?

Tonights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    That mom is right: the company should be taken to task for the drug. But they have so much money they'll just settle out of court and continue to produce it. I can't believe the FDA hasn't moved to take it off the market. In the end, I'm guessing it's all about numbers. If the percentage of serious side effects and/or death is low enough, it stays on the market. If it goes above a certain percentage, it gets pulled. I don't know, of course, but it seems plausible.
    This is exactly how it works. The same thing happens with things like seat belts and other safety measures in aircraft. Basically, the company weighs the cost of implementing a safety procedure against the calculated cost of a human life.

I'm a little bit surprised Ortho-Evra hasn't been taken off the market, because there have just been so many problems with it. When it first came out I was on it myself for about two months while I waited for my IUD to be put in, and later on when the problems started to hit the media, I just felt so lucky that nothing bad happened. They also continue to advertise the heck out of it.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would use it when there's so much information about it being risky. It's not THAT hard to take a pill every day.

silverwaif77 Guest
    Geeze now this! I just found out my birth control pill (YAZ) is being investigated as causing health problem in addition to the types described in the article about the patch. I guess I'll go old school birth control, stop wearing makeup and shaving my legs!

GrinReaper Guest
    Why would they prescribe this?’’ Leslie asked, sitting at her dining table Monday. That’s a good question.

Thousands of lawsuits have been brought against the makers of Ortho Evra, Johnson & Johnson, by women who used it and suffered heart attacks, strokes, or blood clots. At least 20 of the women named in the lawsuits died after using the patch. Though sales of the drug have plummeted by about 75 percent since word of its side effects spread, at least 2 million women still use it, and it’s still approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Johnson & Johnson has paid out $70 million to settle the lawsuits..."

Why?
    Because they are putting profits before people.
    J&J and other drug companies have drug pushers that get the overworked and overwhelmed Dr's to prescribe their stuff left and right without really knowing the risks to their patients.

Ever hear those drug ads on TV?
    It's like they are trying to make you think there is something wrong with you and that their pill will be a cure all fix it solution despite all the side efx.
    Don't feel like eating?
    Well, you must be depressed and this pill will make your nose bleed 100 gallions of fluid, but at least you won't be depressed anymore.

Got heartburn?
    Don't bother avoiding foods that create heartburn.
    Instead take this drug that will cause your colon to rupture and shrink your parts taking your mind off heart burn.

Men: Wanna get it up again?
    Take this pill so that you and your wife can sit in seperate tubs in nature together.
    Geez!
    These drug companies make me sick!
    (But don't tell 'em that otherwise they will try to push their drugs onto me.)
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 10-22-2009 at 02:49 AM.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    I guess I'll go old school birth control, stop wearing makeup and shaving my legs!
    Hey. That's my type!

STORMIE Guest
    The higher the estrogen and progestrone in the woman's body, the higher the incidence of blood clots. These two horomones maintain pregnancy and increase the clotting factors of the blood during pregnancy to reduce the risk of hemorrhage during pregnancy and birthing. This is done naturally by the body.
    HOWEVER - the drug companies know the facts, know the chemical make up of a worman's body and still they INCREASE the amount of estrogen probably to a level more than during pregnancy? Completely irresponsible IMO. They should be made to answer for the sickness and death being brought on by their product. Sorry, just finished maternity clinicals. . .
    Last edited by STORMIE; 10-22-2009 at 01:18 PM.

tarsier Guest
    All birth control medications have health risks you can't put something into your body and not expect any consequences. "Safe" is a relative term I don't blame the drug company I blame the person who blindly accepted this without doing their research.
    And we wonder why medical mal practice liability rates are so high when people refuse to accept any accountability for their own bodies?
    Am I the only person who checks all my medications online for side effects before popping a single pill?
    It's a shame people have to learn this tuff the hard way.

NOVSTORM Guest
    People put way too much faith into the FDA. hey also see ads for this stuff on TV and think if they can put it on TV it must be ok..I check all my prescriptions before I take them and I odn't read the little ity bitty ones they give you with the RX either I go on line wherfe I can read what it is saying and where others have posted about the trouble they have with certain drugsIf I dont like what I am seeing I dont take the RX nd call the doctor..all these "rare side effetcs" are not so rare if you read up on the law suits and the rare side effects can kill you..damage the liver and the heart.

LoveRats Guest
    She was being pragmatic and responsible, and she died. What could be sadder and more unfair.

Though in many ways I hate the big pharmaceutical companies, I think the main responsibility lies with the doctors. They have the responsibility to take a detailed family history--if those of you out there have a true, caring physician, you are lucky--but many who pay big money for a clinic appointment are fortunate if they (a) see a doctor; (b) see him for more than 2 minutes; (c) have had anyone even ASK about a family history (if like me you don't have insurance, they probably won't ask you word 1 about anything in your personal history, let alone your family's). We pay more for health care than any country in the world, and we deserve better.

That is not to say bad things won't happen, but regardless of what doctors say, they are not immune to pharm representatives 'pushing' a drug and taking the company's word for efficacy and safety.

And still, after all these decades of unwanted pregnancies, men not wanting to pay child support, women still shoulder almost all the risks for birth control. Have you ever heard of a man dying trying to prevent unwanted pregnancies?

LoveRats Guest
    Oh... I do love men, though often I wonder why...

melody Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    All birth control medications have health risks you can't put something into your body and not expect any consequences. "Safe" is a relative term I don't blame the drug company I blame the person who blindly accepted this without doing their research.
    And we wonder why medical mal practice liability rates are so high when people refuse to accept any accountability for their own bodies?
    Am I the only person who checks all my medications online for side effects before popping a single pill?
    It's a shame people have to learn this tuff the hard way.
    TRUST ME you're not the only one that checks
    But a lot of people say well this says that it rarely happened so I doubt it'll happen to me...and so they take it and s**t happens.

I try not to pop a pill unless needed but if I absolutely need to then I think as I wrote above and if there's nothing else I can do then I go for it and pray to God nothing happens.

As for this girl, ay I don't even wanna know what to say. The way I see it, she's a teen, it's a risk she did not need to take (and yes I know how teens are). If anything, condoms never killed anyone (u guys know what I mean!) I understand the mother was doing what she thought was best for her but unless needed, I wouldn't risk my daughter's life with side-effects that serious if there are other ways around it.
    And this being said by me, a daughterless 24 year old, I would like more insight by the more knowledgeable parents that write here.

Anyway, I still think something should be done about that birth-control and all in general cause as far as I know most or all have the same or similar risks. We don't need more people dying like this for whatever reason they take it whether it's for actual control or for other "womanly" problems.

I was on it for three months and it was awful. I put on 20 pounds and swelled up like a balloon. I was anxious, depressed, and dizzy all the time. My mood swings started to become violent and I said "enough of this." Went back on my old pills on the side effects went away within the week.

Evil evil product. My OBGYN refuses to prescribe it anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."