Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cinespia at Hollywood Forever Cemetary

Danny62 Guest

Hollywood Forever Cemetery

They play movies at the cemetery on weekends. Usually of someone already buried there!

I mean how cool is that. Sitting next to some dead celebrity who is a mere 6 feet from you and watching a movie with him in it!!!!

Damn that would be fun!!!

Bee1001 Guest
    I agree! I'd love to make a weekend out of that, take Scott's tour, then see a movie under the stars and over the stars!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee1001 View Post
    I agree! I'd love to make a weekend out of that, take Scott's tour, then see a movie under the stars and over the stars!
    actually when I took the tour In sept he drove by Hollywwod forever and told us about it. I am sure he could give us way more info on that!

Bee1001 Guest
    Unfortunately, being on the other side of the country restricts me from getting to LA any time soon. But I'd appreciate more info, as well as others would, I'm sure!

Morbid1 Guest
    That would be cool..you could even share some popcorn..lol

-Morbid1

Katie Guest
    I also would like to hear more.

different kind of girl Guest
    That sounds fantastic! I would so do that if I were there. Whether I liked the actor or not.

1karenhb Guest
    Next to Westwood Cemetery, Hollywood Forever is my favorite place. Haven't been there in a few years though. A lot of the early stars are there including Douglas Fairbanks, Cecile B. Demille, Marion Davies, Rudolph Valentino and many many more. It is right behind Paramount Studios. Before the current owner bought it, it was getting pretty rundown. A definite must see!

Rent (or buy) the DVD "Hollywood Ghosts & Gravesites" - there's a lot of Hollywood Forever in that one - besides it being an EXCELLENT death hag documentary!

But if want the ultimate one all about Hollywood Forever, rent (or buy) "The Young and the Dead" - which is all about the guy who bought the cemetery and what he did with it - great stuff.

I know Netflix carries these movies for rent. And you might be able to find them on Amazon or eBay if you want to buy them! Happy hunting!

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Rent (or buy) the DVD "Hollywood Ghosts & Gravesites" - there's a lot of Hollywood Forever in that one - besides it being an EXCELLENT death hag documentary!

But if want the ultimate one all about Hollywood Forever, rent (or buy) "The Young and the Dead" - which is all about the guy who bought the cemetery and what he did with it - great stuff.

I know Netflix carries these movies for rent. And you might be able to find them on Amazon or eBay if you want to buy them! Happy hunting!
    I concur! I was about to post the same info. Tyler and crew have a progressive, even revolutionary, attitude toward death care. Maybe that's why the snobs at Forest Lawn hate them so much. They don't like the competition. Thanks Aries!

magblax Guest
    If I didn't already have my plot this is where I would like my cremains to go.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

I think Scott has the guys profile on Findadeath about who owned Hollywood forever.

Heh thanks for the info on the DVD's. I am going to check them out!!!!

JeffD Guest

Aerial view

In the olden timey days, the 128 acre parcel was split in half. Half would become Paramount Studios, half would become Hollywood Memorial, now Hollywood Forever.

JeffD Guest

Hollywood Forever entrance

my home actually shows up in that map above. I live along side the place and adore it. So much I bought my own place there. For more info on the movies, you can sign up to the mailing list at www.cemeteryscreenings.com they seem pretty nice, I just dislike the fact that my cemetery has become trendy.

onehunglow Guest

Trendy? Sounds like a plot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    my home actually shows up in that map above. I live along side the place and adore it. So much I bought my own place there. For more info on the movies, you can sign up to the mailing list at www.cemeteryscreenings.com they seem pretty nice, I just dislike the fact that my cemetery has become trendy.
    BTW when Jack N goes will he be Jack In The BOX?

SistaSara Guest

Hollywood Forver

Tomorrow (10-31-07) I'm going to Hollywood Forever cemetery. Anyone got any picture requests?

magblax Guest
    No (thanks for offering). But it would be great if you could post a "trip report". I would love to hear your thoughts. Especially about the room that houses all of the cremains.

SistaSara Guest
    I promise I will give you guys a full run down tomorrow. Hopefully Valentino will make a special Halloween appearance!!
    Last edited by SistaSara; 10-30-2007 at 05:31 PM.

SistaSara Guest

Hollywood Forever Cemetary

Going to Hollywood Forever Cemetery tomorrow (10=31-07) any picture requests?

kimmer927 Guest
    Nope, just wish we could go with you. what a great way to spend Halloween! Are you going in costume, or is that too goofy?
    Just asking

SistaSara Guest
    Ironically enough...we didn't even realize "Wednesday" was Halloween until after we made the plans.

anyhow...no costume here. I'm scary enough just being in a cemetery on Halloween!

kimmer927 Guest
    well, just know we are so jealous. stuck at work handing out candy and wishing we were in LA. if you would (if you get a chance) see if they replaced Jayne Mansfield's picture on her headstone. We were there a couple of years ago and it had been scratched off, looked like on purpose and always struck me as really cruel and sad. She's near the water of the big pond. sorry you probably knew that.
    thanks

SistaSara Guest
    I will totally check at Jayne's headstone for you.

Actually...any info on H.F. would be cool. I've actually never been to H.F. before. My first time to a cemetery (other than where my grandma is buried in Winslow, AZ) was two weeks ago. So...I'm excited.

desert hag Guest
    What a great place to be on Halloween! I visited Hollywood Forever about a year ago and what a place to look around! I have also visited Pierce Bros. cemetery and it's a pretty interesting place too. Have fun!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    That place is so much fun. On Saturday nights during the summer, they actually show old films projected onto the side of a mauseleum (sp?) People show up with food, wine, etc. and sit on the grounds right there in the cemetary to watch the movie. I'm not a big fan of L.A., but HF was definitely a highlight of living there.

LupeVelez Guest

Actually, Dia de los Muertos

Should be going on right now. It's big, really big! I was planning on flying down just for that.

LupeVelez Guest

dia de los muertos

dirttrackdemon3 Guest

wait on me!!!

wait, come get me and take me!! i wanna go too!!!

Tebssis Guest
    I'm so jealous! Hope you get a lot of cool pictures! Nothing more interesting than Hollywood history!

Snoopy Guest
    I was there briefly this past May didn't have a lot of time to spend there if I ever get back to Ca I definayely want to spend more time..it is a very cool place!

Danse Macabre Guest
    Have a delightful time, sistasara!

And please share your pictures with us

mommafreak Guest
    Yea, would love to see the pics

thescreensiren Guest
    I've got some neat pics I can share..if anyone wants them, I'll post the links. HF is one of my favorite places to take pictures in Hollywood. It's such a beautiful place. Wondering if any of you actually got to see "The Shining" on Halloween night? It was being shown in the cemetery like their summer lineup. I wish I could have gone, but no one was brave enough to go with me!!!

Snoopy Guest
    Yes definately post the link! Glad you had a good time!

poppie Guest
    I am late responding, but that does not decrease my jealousy. I used to live in Los Angeles area and have been to Hollywood Forever many, many times. I watched it erode and it was not a pretty sight. The new owners are great guysand have done a wonderful job of restoration. Hope you had an informative tour. It would take a few days to see everything. Perhaps Benjamin Bugsy Siegel is my favorite grave.

I can't wait to come to LA and tour the cemeteries. I was in LA years ago and the people I was with were so upset that I made them drive by the cemeteries, there was no way we were stopping. I hope when I come out in the spring, they are playing a movie while I'm there.

erin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmer927 View Post
    well, just know we are so jealous. stuck at work handing out candy and wishing we were in LA. if you would (if you get a chance) see if they replaced Jayne Mansfield's picture on her headstone. We were there a couple of years ago and it had been scratched off, looked like on purpose and always struck me as really cruel and sad. She's near the water of the big pond. sorry you probably knew that.
    thanks
    they have replaced it with a beautiful pic of her. and i'm not sure if you know, but it isn't jayne that's actually there. her marker is an epitaph. she is actually buried in the midwest, i believe.

thescreensiren Guest

Katie Guest
    This would be a dream trip for me. Thanks for the Pixs.

leevancleef Guest

RoRo Guest
    thanks for sharing the great pics!!

disco Guest
    Thanks but Im going with scott on death tours when I hit the lottery. Say hello to the candy man for me.

Snoopy Guest
    Great Pics! thanks so much for sharing..can't wait for you to share your stories!

i have to say that i am *so* glad that i'm not the only one that is excited to view these photos. anytime i mention this kind of thing to my boyfriend he seems to become a bit uncomfortable. lol.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

thescreensiren Guest
    Thanks for all the nice words! I'm glad you liked them--I have some more, I just need to upload them to the computer.

The morning I took all those pics was back in January--I haven't been into the cemetery in probably 6-7 years and didn't really know where any of the famous gravesites were, but I felt compelled to drive along until I came to that mausoleum on the lake. There are a lot of stars actually buried around that lake, but I didn't know that at the time. I got out of my car and started walking to the left of the Ramones statue. Just as I came upon a bench to sit down on and get my camera out, this MONSTER of a swan flew over my head--it scared the absolute CRAP out of me, as it just came out of nowhere and I didn't even HEAR it as it was flying! It landed a few feet from me by the bench and cocked its head, looking at me. I went ahead and verrrrrry slowly sat down on the bench, about a few feet away from the swan, looked down, and saw it was sitting directly on the top of FAY WRAY'S headstone marker. It was such a surreal experience. I seriously felt chills go up my spine. I sat there and watched this swan (who was close enough to bite my feet, which he very well could have done, but didn't). He kept settling himself closer and closer to me and would wash himself for a while, then go back to staring at me. He seemed so tame...I couldn't believe how close he got, and don't swans usually have mates? This one was all by himself. On subsequent trips, I have not seen him near that lake--he very well could still be there, but I've not seen him since.

It was also really cool because at the time I had NO idea Fay Wray was buried there and much less where her headstone was. She's one of my absolute favorite stars, so it was pretty cool.

Another time I was there early in the morning on a Tuesday taking some more pics and went into the section where Norma Talmadge is buried (she has a wall crypt). As I was fixing my camera settings to take some pics, I noticed the figure of a lady out of the corner of my eye at the end of the hallway--short hair, pale, very thin, about 5'7" or so, in a dress that hit below the knees. When I glanced over to look, she was gone. I didn't really think anything of it--I just figured it was somebody who worked for the cemetery. I went to take my pictures and my camera completely stopped--it just wouldn't take any, no matter what setting I put it on. And guess what--as soon as I walked outside and tried to take some more pictures outside, my camera started working again. So unfortunately, I don't have any of Norma Talmadge's grave...

Those are a couple of stories from HF...and I plan on going back and getting more!

Check out this ghost pic taken there.
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/pa...ml?theme=light

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    This would be a dream trip for me. Thanks for the Pixs.

Me too!

knothere Guest
    those pics r awsome n so are the graves man ppl spend the coin even after they r gone
    the story was fantastic i guess norma dont want her pic taken
    tell us more plz plz

hoxharding Guest

Cinespia+ Hollywood Forever Cemetery

I know this has been posted before-I couldn't find it(my apologies)
    Just wanted people to know if they want to go to the Hollywood
    Forever Cemetery in L.A.-the film lineup is at this site:
    www.Cinespia.org