Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Layne Staley 2

StoneTempleBrett Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    You know there was a guy, StoneTempleBret who used to post on here some that was interested in writing a book about Layne but I don't know what's happening with that.
    I am interested in writing a book about Layne. I'm currently working on another book so that I have somewhat of a resume to present to Nancy, the AIC guys, etc. I originally wanted to do a documentary because I thought Rubio had burned the possibility of a real Layne book, but a book is a much more feasible idea to tell Layne's story. I'd prefer to get right on writing the Layne book right now, I want to do an oral biography, kind of like the book "Grunge is Dead" but focused solely on Layne Staley, but the thing is I feel like I need a book under my belt to get a lot of these people to agree to do it and trust me. I wish they just would now, because my only goal is to tell Layne's story and not sensationalize anything like Rubio. I'd love to be able and do it and donate all of the money to charity.

JPH Guest
    Hey guys, I'm new here. Been reading the thread(s) for the longest time and have only just been able to register. Can't stress enough how frustrating it was not being able to post and talk about Layne.

Now, I have a question - I was reading through the old thread and there was a user called eMetal, who posted a lot of pictures that are now not there (photoucket) and I'd really like to know if anyone had saved them and would be willing to show me?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by JPH; 02-15-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Hey Brett good to hear from you. I hope everything works out for you to write this book. I'll be one of the first to buy it!

Inthenutshell Guest
    Do you know from which date is that pic ?

StoneTempleBrett Guest
    Pretty sure it's June 30, 1996 in Louisville, Kentucky. On June 28th in Detroit Layne wore the catwoman outfit, on July 2nd in St. Louis he had a long sleeve black shirt with a white overshirt, and on July 3rd he wore a long sleeve overshirt. That leaves the June 30th show, so that picture must be from that. Pretty crappy looking jacket, Layne looked better at the other shows.

Inthenutshell Guest
    Thanks brett. 96, That's what i thought , because of the haircut.

What about the layne staley movie " get born again " ? somebody got some fresh news about it ?
    Last edited by Inthenutshell; 02-16-2010 at 09:57 AM.

brizerker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill90210 View Post
    Charles Cross would be good, he did Heavier than Heaven but declines: ‚??I loved Layne; he was a sweetheart and an underrated talent. However, I'm not sure I'm personally ready for that much darkness. Cobain was bad enough. I may write about Layne in the future in some form, but probably couldn't spend four years of my life in that box.‚?Ě
    He would do such a great job. I'm actually reading Heavier Than Heaven right now and it's so in-depth. I just know if he wrote about Layne that it would be as thorough in its inspection.

As for the Mike "leaving Layne to die" thing I think it's more important to remember that Mike was in as terrible a place as Layne. I can't imagine that if he were in his right mind, that he'd just walk away. He said that he let Layne die on the recent Celebrity Rehab preview but I think that's just him being hard on himself. I can tell if he were in his right mind he would have done the right thing, but he just wasn't and now he is finally getting help.

StoneTempleBrett Guest
    http://grungereport.net/2010/02/17/m...-of-his-death/

Mike Starr was on Loveline last night and revealed that he was with Layne the day of his death, and that Layne told him not to call 911. It sounds like Layne had lost the will to live. Makes me want to cry.

JPH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneTempleBrett View Post

Mike Starr was on Loveline last night and revealed that he was with Layne the day of his death, and that Layne told him not to call 911. It sounds like Layne had lost the will to live. Makes me want to cry.
    Thanks for posting. Downloading the show was we speak. Also, I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if this weeks Celebrity Rehab has aired and if so what did Nancy do/say?

Rotten Apple Guest
    cmon..this is the kind of a show for housewifes.

JPH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JPH View Post

Now, I have a question - I was reading through the old thread and there was a user called eMetal who posted a lot of pictures that are now not there (photoucket) and I'd really like to know if anyone had saved them and would be willing to show me?

Thanks.
    Anyone?

This week's show has not aired. It comes on Thursday night 9 pm (central time).

It looks from the previews like Layne's mother is going to get into details with Mike too. I hope that's not just some come-on editing. That show is rather famous for that type of thing.

Thanks for that.

Anyone?
    A couple of the photos still remain in that thread. I've seen them still there long after the others were removed by the original poster. No idea if they really were pics of Layne's condo but to me it looked plausible from the surroundings (through the windows) that they could be.

Edit: You may want to look fast though. Now that I say that, the poster may also choose to remove those from their photobucket. If that person does, the pics will ofcourse also not show in that thread anymore. (It is ofcourse, that person's right to do that.) They were around page 38'ish, I believe. Somewhere between that and page 50'ish, the poster chose to remove most of them, I also believe.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 02-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Historia Guest
    I have to say (as someone who doesn't have too much invested in Mike or Layne emotionally) that I buy everything Mike is saying regarding Layne in this Loveline interview. Mike was almost as messed up as Layne, and I think it is very feasible that he was not in the right state of mind to truly understand the gravity of the situation. As he said, he would have rather called 911, saved Layne and have him never talk to him again. The truth seems that Layne had given up on life unfortuanately, and was wanting out of the misery of his addiction. Mike Starr was too messed up in his own addiction to see this the way we can now. It is such a sad story for all. However, it sounds like Layne's Mom really cares about Mike. She would have to in order to agree to come and visit him in rehab. I am happy to hear Mike is clean and sober. I think Layne would be happy too. I hope he stays clean.
    Last edited by Historia; 02-17-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: uncooperative fingers

JPH Guest
    I'd also like to know what happened to the user eMetal, as they are banned along with a number of other members. Was eMetal ever proven to be lieing about her connections with Layne?

Jill90210 Guest

Talking

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTempleBrett View Post

the celebrity rehab show was on this morn. It was very emotional watching Nancy and Mike talk and hug. Comes on again tonight. He says what is said in the report from grungereport basically.

I just watched the part with Nancy and wow. It was very heart wrenching. I'm not a Nancy fan at all but damn you can't help but feel for her.

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    I just watched the part with Nancy and wow. It was very heart wrenching. I'm not a Nancy fan at all but damn you can't help but feel for her.

have you ever spoken to nancy? or are you not a fan from the things you have read cuz I can tell you she is an amazing woman very sweet and sincere

SarahThirteen Guest
    celeb rehab made me cry tonight... its really hard for me to see nancy cry.

StoneTempleBrett Guest
    For those of you who couldn't watch I wrote a full transcript of Mike and Layne's Mom's talk about Layne's death.

http://grungereport.net/2010/02/19/m...is-last-words/

Layne's final words to Mike were, "Not like this, don't leave like this." Such a sad episode, Nancy's speech was the most gut wrenching thing I've seen in awhile. I can't even imagine what she goes through.

Thanks STB, I missed that epi thanks to work.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

man with huge talent had squandered his life and his talents and that’s not a judgment, that’s just a statement and fact and he knew that, and that’s a horrible thing
    Dang. That's heavy.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Here is a link to the full episode
    http://www.vh1.com/video/celebrity-r...playlist.jhtml
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️
    ‚??Get drunk and sing Elvira‚?Ě
    https://edenhallow.blogspot.com/

"Man with huge talent had squandered his life and his talents and that‚??s not a judgment, that‚??s just a statement and fact and he knew that, and that‚??s a horrible thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Dang. That's heavy.
    I am so glad to hear her say that. She basically agreed with what many of us have said about Layne on this thread since day one and been jumped on for saying it.

Not that I would want to tarnish that which is "Layne Staley", but he was a druggie just like thousands of other people in the world. It's sad for the loss of talent, but it's hard to feel sad for him because like Nancy said "he had the money, he had the chance's", he had much more available to him than the average Joe and he choose the road of no return. There is no difference between him and "Joe" huddled down in an alley way shooting up somewhere and people look down on "Joe" and worship Layne. It is okay to appreciate and miss his talent, but a role model he was not and I think he has even said that he didn't want to be one a time or two.

I was skeptical about Nancy's visit, but after seeing the show, I am glad she went. I feel like she was really there for Mike and really care's about Mike and doesn't want his guilt to hinder his recovery. People have called Mike Starr a fucked up wanna be, washed up ex-rock star junkie and put Layne on a pedestal. The only difference between them is one is alive and one is dead.

I hope Mike battles these demons and guilt and sobers up with guns blaz'n!!! Then he can make his comeback a tribute to Layne!
    My Posse's On Broadway

26. 02-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Watching the Celebrity Rehab yesterday, it came to me.. I think one of Mikes biggest problems with drugs is what happened that day with Layne. I think he felt way guilty for what happened, and for leaving Layne like that. I think if he can get the support from Nancy and his mom and sister, he can stay clean. And wouldnt that be wonderful. He seems like such a great guy sober. I really hope he stays that way. Especially for Layne.

soclosealady Guest
    Sorry to say that Mike Starr was arrested for drug possession in Los Angeles County back in October of 2010. Sometimes jail is the one thing that saves our life. Lets all hope that his destiny is not parallel to Layne. Nobody can get clean for anyone else but themselves. I hope Mike can get clean because life is so much better without the disease kicking your ass.

soclosealady Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by soclosealady View Post
    Sorry to say that Mike Starr was arrested for drug possession in Los Angeles County back in October of 2010. Sometimes jail is the one thing that saves our life. Lets all hope that his destiny is not parallel to Layne. Nobody can get clean for anyone else but themselves. I hope Mike can get clean because life is so much better without the disease kicking your ass.
    Sorry, he was arrested on September 28, 2009.

Wow, i thought Dr Drew said mike had been clean since celebrity rehab. That really sucks. I know what you mean about wanting to do it for yourself. That is definitly true. I was just thinking with having Nancy's forgivness and getting some of the guilt of Laynes death out, maybe he has a better chance of staying clean. I really hope he gets back on that horse.. With addicts, Im guessing, sometimes there are slips. We all arent perfect, so hopefully he takes that, shakes himself off, and gets back to staying clean. I shouldnt have said, staying clean especiall for Layne. I know what you mean. He should stay clean for himself totally. I just hope his experiences with Layne and what happened to Layne will help keep him clean.

Quote Originally Posted by soclosealady View Post
    Sorry, he was arrested on September 28, 2009.
    Wonder when the season of Rehab we're watching finished taping?

man with huge talent had squandered his life and his talents and that’s not a judgment, that’s just a statement and fact and he knew that, and that’s a horrible thing
    Dang. That's heavy.
    And accurate.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 02-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.

wdhebert Guest
    It's heartbreaking to hear Mike admit it and to hear what his last words were to him. Poor Layne.

Just caught last week's Celeb Rehab...I cried a lot when Nancy was speaking

Inthenutshell Guest
    Is this pic from 1996 ?

Somewhere where earlier in the first thread, there was discussion about the picture being a fake. Presumably, it is fake because the image of Layne is taken from the Unplugged set AIC did in 1996.

wdhebert Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthenutshell View Post
    Is this pic from 1996 ?

The picture is not real. It's someone's very sweet idea of a Halloween costume!

Inthenutshell Guest
    Wow u_u , it seems really to be layne and jerry !

SarahThirteen Guest
    i give em credit they look spot on

Jumpseattle44 Guest
    Im and 18 year old teen leaving for the Marines in 4 months i havn't cried since my aunt died in 2004. When Layne's mom spoke and especially when she said that she went into the house and put layne's lifeless head on her lap and stroked his hair a tear rolled down my eye. I can't imagine what that must be like. I know i haven't been on here in ages but i had to say that.

The shadows are all fucked up and the way Laynes head floats on the misshapen black void of a body reminds me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHGGUZUB3w
    and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_vlZha7bg
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Oh and of course this (how could I have forgotten?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0fvQQtkqoA
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

These are supposedly vocal tracks made by Layne, with music added after his death. Pretty funky. Just wanted to hear your opinions:
    http://grungereport.net/2009/05/19/n...songs-surface/

Quote Originally Posted by sirwilliam55 View Post
    These are supposedly vocal tracks made by Layne, with music added after his death. Pretty funky. Just wanted to hear your opinions:
    http://grungereport.net/2009/05/19/n...songs-surface/

Hmmmmm - the first one sounds the most like him IMHO, but who am I right? The last two sound too smooth and clean - almost light. Layne had that strong - dirty voice, does that make sense?

Who know's maybe it is him, all three of them - that would be cool. I guess we would need Miss Nancy or Jerry to come out with a statement to make it official, they would know best of all.

Thanks for the link!
    My Posse's On Broadway

wdhebert Guest
    I have word that there is a new book being written about Layne by a man named Matthew Freedman. He is very dedicated and aggressively interviewing people who knew him and Demri. Everyone is on board and opening up with new information!!

Quote Originally Posted by wdhebert View Post
    I have word that there is a new book being written about Layne by a man named Matthew Freedman. He is very dedicated and aggressively interviewing people who knew him and Demri. Everyone is on board and opening up with new information!!
    I can't wait!

Hi, I'm new here. I have read the Layne Staley threads from start to finish.. I couldn't stop, it was like an obsession. So much information to take in.

When Dirt came out, I was 15 years old. I was a girl who loved Alice in Chains, surrounded by friends who listened to music like Boyz II Men. Talk about a fish out of water. Anyway, I had very understanding parents, and when Valentine's Day rolled around, my dad, instead of buying the usual heart shaped box of chocolates for me, bought me the cassette (lol @ cassette) for Dirt. I still thank him for that present. To this day it is still the most thoughtful present I have ever received.

I'm 34 years old now. I had a very long period of time where I found that listening to Alice in Chains hurt too much, and I would change the radio station. It was before Layne Staley had passed, and it was because every song felt like something I could identify with personally, hurtfully. That is the great thing about Alice in Chains. Nevermind the obvious technical ability... the emotions in every song are so tangible, at least for me.

I was pretty astounded at how little attention was paid to this man at his passing. He was so gifted. Drugs or not, the man was special. It pleased me so much to see, as I read more and more about this man (and about the band in general) that there are really no negative things to say about the type of person he was. He was kind.

For the first time in my life, I am getting to see Alice in Chains live (my parents were understanding, but not idiots.. they didn't let me go see Lollapallooza in 1993. I think they figured I'd be seen on the news naked and moshing in mud pits or something, lol). My fiance and I are going to see them in a couple of weeks, in Providence. While I am sad that I won't get to see Layne Staley singing, I am still certain to enjoy this concert, and my thought is that he is proud of his friends for going on.

As I've turned this first post into a novel (sorry), I wanted to add a clip from YouTube that I don't believe I've seen posted on this thread: It is the voice-only track of Man in the Box. What a voice he had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHOGwp9Csw

Quote Originally Posted by pepina View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I have read the Layne Staley threads from start to finish.. I couldn't stop, it was like an obsession. So much information to take in.

When Dirt came out, I was 15 years old. I was a girl who loved Alice in Chains, surrounded by friends who listened to music like Boyz II Men. Talk about a fish out of water. Anyway, I had very understanding parents, and when Valentine's Day rolled around, my dad, instead of buying the usual heart shaped box of chocolates for me, bought me the cassette (lol @ cassette) for Dirt. I still thank him for that present. To this day it is still the most thoughtful present I have ever received.

I'm 34 years old now. I had a very long period of time where I found that listening to Alice in Chains hurt too much, and I would change the radio station. It was before Layne Staley had passed, and it was because every song felt like something I could identify with personally, hurtfully. That is the great thing about Alice in Chains. Nevermind the obvious technical ability... the emotions in every song are so tangible, at least for me.

I was pretty astounded at how little attention was paid to this man at his passing. He was so gifted. Drugs or not, the man was special. It pleased me so much to see, as I read more and more about this man (and about the band in general) that there are really no negative things to say about the type of person he was. He was kind.

For the first time in my life, I am getting to see Alice in Chains live (my parents were understanding, but not idiots.. they didn't let me go see Lollapallooza in 1993. I think they figured I'd be seen on the news naked and moshing in mud pits or something, lol). My fiance and I are going to see them in a couple of weeks, in Providence. While I am sad that I won't get to see Layne Staley singing, I am still certain to enjoy this concert, and my thought is that he is proud of his friends for going on.

As I've turned this first post into a novel (sorry), I wanted to add a clip from YouTube that I don't believe I've seen posted on this thread: It is the voice-only track of Man in the Box. What a voice he had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHOGwp9Csw
    That video was amazing! Kudos to you for finding it! His voice really was pretty killer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️
    ‚??Get drunk and sing Elvira‚?Ě
    https://edenhallow.blogspot.com/

aliceinnirvana Guest
    I saw Alice In Chains on the 20th. They were great. I think Layne would be proud.

imadeathhag Guest
    sorry if this was already posted on the older thread, but here is a copy of the incident report after he was found:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmo...t2/staley1.gif
    Last edited by imadeathhag; 04-02-2010 at 03:28 PM.

50. 04-03-2010, 11:32 AM

StoneTempleBrett Guest
    Hey guys I posted some fan memories of Layne's death today to mark the anniversary http://grungereport.net/2010/04/05/f...-died-in-2002/

I also made a Layne photo timeline
    http://grungereport.net/2010/04/05/t...-1990-to-1997/

MrsLayneStaley1201 Guest
    My dear Layne...

I can't believe it's been eight years. I remember when I found out you had passed. It was the first week of May, 2002. I was 12 at the time, and only really into Nirvana. I was really pissed when I discovered a lot of people were comparing you to Kurt Cobain on the Rolling Stone website, calling you a better singer. Of course, I found out a year later just how powerful your voice is and how awesome a band Alice in Chains is. I definitely over-reacted.

Honestly, the first member of Alice I fell in love with was Mike Starr. But after a few months, I came to my senses.

Layne, you and your voice were always there for me. When my uncle died, you were there, blasting through my speakers on a daily basis. When my grandfather died a year later, your voice was the only comfort I had. When I was nervous about going off to college a year after that, you were there on the trip the entire time. Thanks for always being there for me. There are no words that can possibly describe how much I love you and how much you're worth to me. You mean everything to me. I miss you.