View Poll Results: VOTE - Your Pick For The Best HITCHCOCK Film . . . .

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • REBECCA (1940)

6 6.00%
  • STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)

3 3.00%
  • REAR WINDOW (1954)

19 19.00%
  • THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)

1 1.00%
  • THE WRONG MAN (1957)

0 0%
  • V-E-R-T-I-G-O (1958)

7 7.00%
  • NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

11 11.00%
  • PsYCHO (1960)

31 31.00%
  • THE BIRDS (1963)

19 19.00%
  • MARNIE (1964)

3 3.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    I love this clip of Hitchcock on "What's my line?" He is so funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCu-NUMrsj0
    Thanks, that was funny!

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Excellent and detailed postings, Northern. Thank you.

In terms of pure suspense films, I'd be hard pressed to pick out one personal Hitch film. I would omit The Birds. though, as I consider that film more horror than suspense.

And how many of us have noticed the little boy extra sticking his fingers in his ears before Eva Marie Saint shoots Cary Grant during the cafeteria scene in North By Northwest?
    Thanks, and you are welcome!

I have to say I agree about The Birds, for me it is more like a horror film. But sometimes it's a fine line between the horror and suspense.

I have never noticed that blooper before (I never notice them ), thanks for pointing that out.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I have never noticed that blooper before (I never notice them ), thanks for pointing that out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVEwIKOZ3VU

Northern Lights Guest
    Thanks!

He didn't drive a car because he didn't want to get a ticket. He thought tickets were evil

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delia's Gone View Post
    He didn't drive a car because he didn't want to get a ticket. He thought tickets were evil
    He was correct!

Bidmor Guest
    As an aside, Mel Brooks' "High Anxiety" was his tribute to the master of suspense...Mel Brooks style...with a nod to "The Shining". If you love Vertigo, North By Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds but have never seen High Anxiety, rent it...you'll appreciate your belly laughs more. Brooks pulled off golden and tasteful satire, in the same way he tackled racism in Blazing Saddles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEwcc4MSMY
    Last edited by Bidmor; 09-25-2009 at 02:20 PM.

STsFirstmate Guest
    My favorite Hitchcok movies are The Rope ( it had for it's time, the longest signle continual shot in a movie.
    The scene through the swing kitchen door of the guy getting the rope used to strangle the friend to tie a bundle of books for his parents. Great movie!
    I also loved Rear Window. Jimmy Stewart was awesome.
    Regards,
    Mary

Bidmor Guest
    Rear Window was digitally restored in 1999 by Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, commissioned by the Library Of Congress for inclusion in the U.S. National Film Registry. The restoration credits now follow the end of any copy of the film you now see. Pat, Hitch's daughter, was one of those who were selected as consultants for the restoration. Amongst the brief restoration credits is a specific restoration credit for "The Kiss"...that's the brief close up of Grace leaning down to kiss Jimmy early in the picture. I've always wondered about the specific restoration credit of that brief scene. Was that part of the film in worse condition? Was it deleted before initial release?

Anybody have any info on this subject?

Northern Lights Guest
    Rear Window was digitally restored in 1999 by Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, commissioned by the Library Of Congress for inclusion in the U.S. National Film Registry. The restoration credits now follow the end of any copy of the film you now see. Pat, Hitch's daughter, was one of those who were selected as consultants for the restoration. Amongst the brief restoration credits is a specific restoration credit for "The Kiss"...that's the brief close up of Grace leaning down to kiss Jimmy early in the picture. I've always wondered about the specific restoration credit of that brief scene. Was that part of the film in worse condition? Was it deleted before initial release?

Anybody have any info on this subject?
    "The most important moment in "Rear Window" to benefit not only from the yellow-layer breakthrough but from the new dye-transfer process is Kelly's seductive entrance -- which over the years has developed a yellow-green tint. Stewart, the aloof photographer confined to a wheelchair because of a broken leg, is awakened in his apartment by her tender kiss. To prolong the kiss and make it appear more sensual, Hitchcock shot it in close-up and then double-printed each frame in slow-motion.

"That shot is going to be breathtaking in Technicolor," Katz predicts. "When people first see her, they'll understand why everyone who came into contact with her fell in love with her."

More about the restoration
    http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9712/11/r...storation.lat/

http://splicedwire.com/00features/windowguys.html

1karenhb Guest
    Great post Northern Lights! I can't believe there wasn't a thread on Hitchcock before either. I feel honored to have met 2 of Hitchcock's "Ice Blondes" Tippi Hedren and Janet Leigh. I would have loved to have met Grace Kelly. I've seen Kim Novak's vacation home in Palm Springs not too far from me. Vertigo is one of my favorite films.

Long Gone Day Guest
    When I was a child, I lived for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". It was wonderful! I first saw "The Birds" on TV in 1966 or '67? with the whole family watching until the birds started attacking Suzanne Pleshette. I got so hysterical that my parents almost wouldn't let me watch the rest of the movie so I really had to keep telling myself "it's just a movie, it's just a movie".

I watched all of those old shows on my computer, recently, and I think he is the BEST director....

I can't believe there wasn't a thread on him. NL.......you're the BEST!

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Great post Northern Lights! I can't believe there wasn't a thread on Hitchcock before either. I feel honored to have met 2 of Hitchcock's "Ice Blondes" Tippi Hedren and Janet Leigh. I would have loved to have met Grace Kelly. I've seen Kim Novak's vacation home in Palm Springs not too far from me. Vertigo is one of my favorite films.
    Thanks! And I'm jealous, it must have been great to meet them.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    When I was a child, I lived for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". It was wonderful! I first saw "The Birds" on TV in 1966 or '67? with the whole family watching until the birds started attacking Suzanne Pleshette. I got so hysterical that my parents almost wouldn't let me watch the rest of the movie so I really had to keep telling myself "it's just a movie, it's just a movie".

I watched all of those old shows on my computer, recently, and I think he is the BEST director....

I can't believe there wasn't a thread on him. NL.......you're the BEST!
    Thanks!

Bidmor Guest
    Thanks for the restoration links, N.L. As one whose hobby is digital audio restoration from 33 rpm records, I've always understood the basics and the available tools and the problems encountered and the time involved with restoring analog audio...no two projects are ever the same...and that understanding lets me appreciate movie sound restoration even more, let alone the visual.

Northern Lights Guest
    Thanks for the restoration links, N.L.
    You're welcome

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Thanks! And I'm jealous, it must have been great to meet them.
    It was. As I stated in another post, I met Janet Leigh several years before her death at a book signing for a book she wrote about the making of Psycho. I told her how traumatized I was at the shower scene as I was a young child when the movie came out. I told her I was in my mid 20's before I could take a shower without someone being home. She sympathized with me and told me after filming that scene she never took another shower, only baths. I met Tippi Hendren when I worked and volunteered at the Santa Ana Zoo about 8 years ago. The big fundraiser for the zoo every year was the Safari Dinner and auction. For years her life has been her big cat rescue compound in South. Calif., Shambala, and she is a guest of honor at the fundraiser at the zoo every year. I met her at two of the dinners and we talked about our mutual love of animals. Didn't have the nerve to ask about Hitchcock.

Meeting both these ladies I kept thinking "Damn she worked with Hitchcoock!" Now if I can just meet Kim Novak!

Northern Lights Guest
    It was. As I stated in another post, I met Janet Leigh several years before her death at a book signing for a book she wrote about the making of Psycho. I told her how traumatized I was at the shower scene as I was a young child when the movie came out. I told her I was in my mid 20's before I could take a shower without someone being home. She sympathized with me and told me after filming that scene she never took another shower, only baths. I met Tippi Hendren when I worked and volunteered at the Santa Ana Zoo about 8 years ago. The big fundraiser for the zoo every year was the Safari Dinner and auction. For years her life has been her big cat rescue compound in South. Calif., Shambala, and she is a guest of honor at the fundraiser at the zoo every year. I met her at two of the dinners and we talked about our mutual love of animals. Didn't have the nerve to ask about Hitchcock.

Meeting both these ladies I kept thinking "Damn she worked with Hitchcoock!" Now if I can just meet Kim Novak!
    That sounds really great.

I already read before that Janet was afraid of taking showers. She said that she didn't think about it before Psycho, but you are absolutely defenseless in that situation. She told also that she received death threats after Psycho was released. Here's link to that interview, I think I'll post it to her thread too.
    http://www.bmonster.com/horror19.html

BAGOBONES Guest
    Thanks for this NorLi!

I love Hitchcocks stuff he was an interesting man.

heres an interview he did with Dick Cavett

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...vett+hitchcock

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGOBONES View Post
    Thanks for this NorLi!

I love Hitchcocks stuff he was an interesting man.

heres an interview he did with Dick Cavett

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...vett+hitchcock
    You're welcome and thanks for the link!

I've seen Kim Novak's vacation home in Palm Springs not too far from me. Vertigo is one of my favorite films.
    You know that originally HITCHCOCK wanted VERA MILES to play the dual roles of Madeleine/Judy but she became pregnant and had to back out.
    HITCH thought very highly of her. She'd already appeared on an episode of his television series which he himself did direct and she's been in the '56 film THE WRONG MAN which he's directed as well. Of course she would go on to star in his famous PSYCHO several years later.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

HITCHCOCK was also a weird man and could be very cruel. He treated TIPPI like shit after she turned down his physical advances. He had her under exclusive contract. While MARNIE was in production he propositioned her. She was engaged at the time and reminded him of that fact. For the rest of production he would direct her through others in third person dictate. He also told her that he would destroy her professionally which is why her career pretty much stalled after '64 for several years. It amazes me that she's been big enough to look past all of this and only speak of him in the positive but she has.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

John Connor Guest
    He thought Ingrid Bergman was anal retentive and a snob. He always made fun of her because she only wanted to play "important" people (Joan of Arc). She was also a stickler for continuity and would freak if a chair was out of place in a scene. He told her "it was only a movie" but Ingrid was a Virgo. Also his best actress I think.

Notorious

Spellbound

Under Capricorn

disco Guest
    Only two people scared the living daylights out of me as a youngin, Alfred Hitchcock and Vincent Price. I saw The Birds first on a dare with a friend, he won. I was kinda lucky cause I saw psycho, vertigo, north by northwest, etc much later. I was scared of Hitchcock movies for awhile. Vincent Price. The Tingler, The Fly, tomb of liegia, and many more.

I love Hitchcock films most are classics. My birthday is 13th August too, so something in common with the great man!

I love Hitchcock, too. I used to watch his TV show all the time, and once had a book with all those stories in it. I was just a kid, and both scared me to death. Lol. He was a master.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    I love Hitchcock films most are classics. My birthday is 13th August too, so something in common with the great man!
    8/13 here too!!!

Just seen a old video clip of Alfred Hitchcock talking to
    Tom Snyder from the old late night Tomorrow show.
    Wish they still had talk shows like that one still.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I finally got to watch Notorious recently. OMG, I loved it!!! I loved the end when Cary Grant saves the day (don't want to spoil it too much ). That was a love scene to beat out all love scenes!!! If you watch it in reverse, then, wow, it totally looks like a love scene. Hitch got one past the censors
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

hotmama Guest
    i have been watching hitchcock presents and its good.. i love seeing actors i know in their younger days..

My favorite movie of his is North by Northwest, with Marnie a close second.
    When I was a kid, the PBS station use to play Hitchcock presents on Sunday nights - I remember sitting of the kitchen countertop and watching it, then trying to go to sleep afterwards. And, yet, I would do this every sunday.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

They have found a couple of old black and white movies he made early on (silent?) and are restoring them.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

orionova Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    They have found a couple of old black and white movies he made early on (silent?) and are restoring them.
    That's great news! I look forward to seeing them some day.

monroe27 Guest
    I've been watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on netflix a lot. I have always loved this show. My 3 year old now goes around humming the theme song!

ozzysmom Guest
    Cinemax On Demand has Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, Rope, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Torn Curtain and The Birds running now, this month! I've had a Hitchcock weekend!!!! They are also running a documentary called, Dial H for Hitchcock! Today I get off work at noon and I plan on watching Rope, Saboteur and Torn Curtain. I think I may need to GET A LIFE!!! LOL

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Psycho and Family Plot are my favorites. I watch them on VHS every now and then. I like all his movies actually but those two are the best to me.

Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    That's great news! I look forward to seeing them some day.
    Bfi Wants Film Fans To 'Adopt' A Hitchcock

Officials at the British Film Institute (BFI) are urging fans to 'adopt' an ALFRED HITCHCOCK movie as part of a scheme to raise money for the restoration of the legendary director's early pictures.
    The campaign aims to gather enough donations to allow movie experts to restore nine of Hitchcock's silent film reels from the 1920s, including Blackmail, The Ring and Easy Virtue, which have all been damaged over time and are in need of repair.
    Movie enthusiasts can hand over their cash through the BFI's website - a contribution of $7,500 (£5,000) earns the donor an onscreen credit, while $37.50 (£25) is enough to restore 50 centimetres (20 inches) of film.
    BFI bosses have also launched a hunt for 75 missing films, with Hitchcock's The Mountain Eagle topping the 'most wanted' list.
    The 1926 film is one of more than 50 Hitchcock-directed pictures which have been lost over the years.
    Also included in the top 10 is 1914's A Study In Scarlet, directed by George Pearson and believed to feature the first ever onscreen appearance of super sleuth Sherlock Holmes in a British movie.

Here is the link

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...chcock_1151507
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Currently watching old Alfred Hitchcock present episodes online. They are awesome like they were made back when the world wasn't so combative or self absorbed. Nice break from todays reality like now when I am sitting here hoping my cousin makes it through his tour of duty in Iraq.

smooches27 Guest
    Thought you all might like this:

My sis-in-law does bead work and this is her latest creation:

The picture doesn't do it justice!

I noticed that it is the 31st anniversary of the passing of Alfred Hitchcock. I was a young LAFD fireman/paramedic in late 1979 when our company received an "assistance" call in Bel-Air. When we arrived on-scene, we were greeted by a frantic housekeeper who told us that Sir Alfred fell out of bed. Went upstairs to the master bedroom and found a rotund gentleman laying face-down on the floor next to the bed. I called out that we were the fire department and the response we received was that familiar, "Good Eeeevening, gentlemen!" We assisted Sir Alfred back into bed and routinely checked his vital signs and EKG for good measure. Four months later we were called again to pronounce Sir Alfred, who had passed away in his sleep. I admire his films to this day, too difficult to single out one or two favorites..

Klopek Guest
    Brilliant director but his parting ways with Bernard Herrmann was a mistake that Hitch's subsequent films never survived. North by Nothwest was my fave.

Love all his films, and once read a biography about him called "Hitch" was a good book.

havoc Guest
    I love this.....

Hitchcock's Cameo Appearances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW6Rdiqlg2E

Morto Guest
    Northern,do you know what became of his daughter who I must say was quite a good actress in her own right.I see her in "Alfred Hitchcock presents"

Hippo Guest
    To Morto:

I can't really answer this question, although I will say that I have a number of Hitchcock films on DVD, and his daughter Patricia is interviewed quite a few times. She married, and has two grown daughters. One of her daughters is, I believe, an attorney.

I don't know where she lives, although I assume she stayed in the US, since she has an American accent.

Morto Guest
    Thanks,and I am guessing she is in her mid 70s by now.Always enjoyed her in his TV show.

rucyco2 Guest
    loves me some Hitchcock

Me too! I watched his Alfred Hitchcock Presents when I was little - I have always loved scary thriller movies. I will need to look those up on Netflix!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    To Morto:

I can't really answer this question, although I will say that I have a number of Hitchcock films on DVD, and his daughter Patricia is interviewed quite a few times. She married, and has two grown daughters. One of her daughters is, I believe, an attorney.

Pat and husband Joseph E. O'Connell, Jr. have three daughters, Mary Alma Stone (born April 17, 1953), Teresa "Tere" Carrubba (born July 2, 1954), and Kathleen "Katie" Fiala (born February 27, 1959.

Pat will be 83 on July 7.

radiojane Guest
    I watched an old SNL with Vince Vaughn hosting around the time the remake of Psycho came out. They did a bit where Hitch came back from the dead to bitch at Vaughn. I lost my drink when he said

"Might as well do a remake of Rope with Woody Harrelson. You can call it hemp."