Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 1124

Thread: Computer, Software and Cellphone Questions and Advice

Ria, I thought I was getting a HP but is says intel? Is this a good thing???? And I am a dumbass but when trying to download a resume that I have saved in documents I get error..".supported file types include doc,docx, pdf, htm,html, txt.......ensure your document in in a supported format. " Should my resume be saved in a file and not on documents? I really hate to be so stupid on such things.

Just spoke with my sister....I think understand.
    Last edited by Leasie; 11-20-2015 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more info

I'm going back to school next year & I'm looking for a tablet that I can attach/detach a keyboard to. Any suggestions? I have a laptop but it's too heavy for me to want to lug around.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcP View Post
    I'm going back to school next year & I'm looking for a tablet that I can attach/detach a keyboard to. Any suggestions? I have a laptop but it's too heavy for me to want to lug around.
    This is something like I use. It's a case with a keyboard that you plug into the tablet. I already had my device and found the keyboard/case by surfing my tablet's brand on amazon. It might be cheaper for you to do that or pick out a tablet and then see they have a detachable keyboard. The one below is similar to mine.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

I like that cindy, nice.

It sure came in handy when my desktop monitor quit working, especially when typing in passwords.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Ria, I thought I was getting a HP but is says intel? Is this a good thing???? And I am a dumbass but when trying to download a resume that I have saved in documents I get error..".supported file types include doc,docx, pdf, htm,html, txt.......ensure your document in in a supported format. " Should my resume be saved in a file and not on documents? I really hate to be so stupid on such things.

Just spoke with my sister....I think understand.
    I find .pdf files can be opened by most everything. Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, whatever. OpenOffice saves in .odt format and unfortunately, not many programs can open those documents. When I finish my novel, I will more than likely re-save it as a .pdf file. (Or just break down and buy Microsoft Office and save it as a .doc file.)

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    This is something like I use. It's a case with a keyboard that you plug into the tablet. I already had my device and found the keyboard/case by surfing my tablet's brand on amazon. It might be cheaper for you to do that or pick out a tablet and then see they have a detachable keyboard. The one below is similar to mine.

I have one of those. Mine's pink and the keyboard itself is white. I find it kind of small for typing, though. I bought my HP specifically for school. I have the HP Pavilion 13 x360. I chose this one because the screen folds completely back, turning the laptop into a tablet. My intent with that was to find a stylus with a fine tip so I can use it to take notes directly on the tablet without typing. I love it!

ETA:

Dear Cell Phone Case Manufacturers,

There ARE other phones out there besides the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S series. I was looking for a Dallas Cowboys phone case for my beloved Hubby for Christmas. What did I find? Cowboys cases for iPhones. He prefers Sony to Apple, and that's his choice. He has an Xperia. There are NO fun cases for Xperias. Solid blue or black, and that's it.

OtterBox, y'all are great to make cases for ALL phones. Y'all's cases are durable. My poor little Note 4 has been dropped more times than I'd care to admit. (Because I'd fall asleep while waiting my turn for my therapist or psychiatrist, and the floors in there are ceramic tile.) Yikes. Only suggestion to y'all is more variety. I'd love an all-pink case! Maybe bling?

Signed,

TechnoDiva in Missouri
    Last edited by RiaBrown; 11-28-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

*grumble* *grumble* *gripe* *moan* *bellyache*

I'm also finding that the tablet cases are for iPads. Very few for other brands. I'm looking into buying Niecelet a tablet. Got her momma's permission. Hell, her momma wants one, too. LOL! Anyways, great deals online this week, $40 or less for a decent little 7" tablet. Niecelet is six. She will need some kind of protective case for it. Niecelet loves "Frozen." Auntie "Raya" thought she'd get Niecelet a "Frozen" tablet case/cover to protect the tablet. Great idea? Yes, she'll love me forever. Problem is, all the "Frozen" cases are for iPads.

I almost bought Niecelet a Kindle Fire for $35. Hubby said, "No! Don't buy that one! There's something bad about that one!" Have any of you heard what it is? I haven't. I want to get Niecelet a quality tablet without spending a boatload of money.

"I just go here!"

Question Youtube help

URGENT: when I sign into my original email to sign in and upload my videos & save them, it goes to a totally different email that I don't use. None of my original videos are in this account. I need to sign in and save my videos because my beloved cat's videos are on it and she passed. PLEASE HELP me sign in. I know for sure I did not change the email or password but now its a totally different email & I need to save my cat videos to my laptop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    URGENT: when I sign into my original email to sign in and upload my videos & save them, it goes to a totally different email that I don't use. None of my original videos are in this account. I need to sign in and save my videos because my beloved cat's videos are on it and she passed. PLEASE HELP me sign in. I know for sure I did not change the email or password but now its a totally different email & I need to save my cat videos to my laptop.

Can't you change that email on youtube to the inbox you want your videos to go to?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Can't you change that email on youtube to the inbox you want your videos to go to?

well when I sign into the original email and password I go to my account at the top screen & it is not even that email so I don't know if I forgot that I changed the email -- I did not change it because this email is so different & not my primary email. Almost like I've been hacked into my YT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    well when I sign into the original email and password I go to my account at the top screen & it is not even that email so I don't know if I forgot that I changed the email -- I did not change it because this email is so different & not my primary email. Almost like I've been hacked into my YT
    I'm sure someone else knows a lot more than me and can help you.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

What is the best WIRED computer tower I can buy with the most GB memory?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

What is the best WIRED computer tower I can buy with the most GB memory?
    What do you intend to do with it? In my last contract, I was issued a wired tower that was far from the best, yet it would cost $10,000. (It was an HP workstation with dual six-core CPUs and 24gb of memory, intended for developing video games.)

I make do with a weenie homebuilt in an HP Pavilion slim mini-tower. It has an ECS 1150 mainboard, 16gb of memory, 4590 CPU and 2tb SSD. It's more than adequate for everyday use, work and development.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    What do you intend to do with it? In my last contract, I was issued a wired tower that was far from the best, yet it would cost $10,000. (It was an HP workstation with dual six-core CPUs and 24gb of memory, intended for developing video games.)

I make do with a weenie homebuilt in an HP Pavilion slim mini-tower. It has an ECS 1150 mainboard, 16gb of memory, 4590 CPU and 2tb SSD. It's more than adequate for everyday use, work and development.
    My gosh, i don't have $10,000. The one I have is fine, but it's six years old and won't last forever. I'm saving for another one. I just need one for normal use, plus for the book I'm writing and the one to come. I know about burning. And I have a great storage application that stores instantly--I just used it a day or so ago when a file became corrupted. I've seen some with 12GB, which may be the ticket.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I put a slim mini-tower together for the parent in 2010, and it's still in use. It has its original 4gb of memory, but the storage has been upgraded with an SSD boot drive. (500gb Samsung 850 Evos, a premium model, can be had for $150 online.) The machine has provisions for a wired connection, although it's connected to the ISP-supplied wireless router via WiFi.

12gb of RAM is not needed for the uses you describe. It would be handy, thought, for running a database server, heavy graphics work (i.e. video editing), gaming or some other very demanding task.

For what it's worth, another relative is still using a ten-year-old Dell I upgraded. The speed issues were fixed through a combination of a Win7 upgrade and an SSD boot drive.

You're right, I don't need that much memory. Thanks.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Plenty of ten-year-old Dells are still in daily use. What puts them out of commission tends to be obsolescence, not hardware failure.

The last one I had was an XP. The Computer fan burnt out. I was told my friends that HP was better than Dell, but I personally don't know.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

If you're handy, you can replace the parts yourself.

I'm not handy.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

http://www.kctv5.com/story/33201564/...headphone-jack

Yes, some effers are stupid enough to drill holes in their brand-spankin' new iPhone 7. A viral video tells them that if they do this, they will create a headphone jack. Apple infamously left the headphone jack off their newest phones, people now need Bluetooth headphones. PLEASE, do not defile your iPhone in this manner.

"I just go here!"

PurrPurr Guest
    The last one I had was an XP. The Computer fan burnt out. I was told my friends that HP was better than Dell, but I personally don't know.

I have an HP all-in-one (no tower) desktop and it isn't too bad. The thing's lasted four years so far, in contrast to my previous desktops that maybe had shelf life of two years with regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    http://www.kctv5.com/story/33201564/...headphone-jack

Yes, some effers are stupid enough to drill holes in their brand-spankin' new iPhone 7. A viral video tells them that if they do this, they will create a headphone jack. Apple infamously left the headphone jack off their newest phones, people now need Bluetooth headphones. PLEASE, do not defile your iPhone in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    I have an HP all-in-one (no tower) desktop and it isn't too bad. The thing's lasted four years so far, in contrast to my previous desktops that maybe had shelf life of two years with regular use.
    I never thought about getting an all in one, but I just saw one on Best Buy for less than $300, so who knows. Right now mine is fine.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I am going to purchase a Samsung tablet. I will not be doing any of my banking or making any purchases (e-bay, Amazon) on it. I will do this on my home computer. Do I need to install Norton anti-virus on the tablet? The sales clerk I spoke with said he does not have it on his tablet. Thanks!

I am going to purchase a Samsung tablet. I will not be doing any of my banking or making any purchases (e-bay, Amazon) on it. I will do this on my home computer. Do I need to install Norton anti-virus on the tablet? The sales clerk I spoke with said he does not have it on his tablet. Thanks!
    You don't need Norton on your tablet. It should come with Lookout installed, and you just have to activate it. Another mobile antivirus I use is Avast. I don't run it as often as I do on the computer. I do most of my banking and bill paying from apps from my phone: my debit card app has a function to pay bills from it, and my phone bill and Internet providers both have apps I pay from.

"I just go here!"

Thank you Ria!!

PurrPurr Guest
    I never thought about getting an all in one, but I just saw one on Best Buy for less than $300, so who knows. Right now mine is fine.
    Desktops are dirt cheap right now since tablets, phones, and laptops are now basically "the things." I prefer a desktop for my writing because the bigger screens help me see what I'm doing (getting old sucks LOL). My phone has Internet, but it's slower than the seven-year itch and I only use it if I need to look up something while I'm away. The smaller screen also doesn't do me many favors.

Thank you Ria!!
    Anytime. *tips technodiva tiara* I'm actually in the market for another tablet myself. The Schmoo LOST my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. This means I no longer watch Netflix or Hulu in the evenings while I piddlefart because my phone...well...the battery doesn't last as long as the tablet. I have to bring the Samsung charger out of the bedroom and plug it in next to the computer desk in order to do that. Annoying.

I'm looking into something cheap, but good, so I might wait till Cyber Monday and see what I can get for super-cheap. It won't leave the house, it'll be primarily for watching Hulu/Netflix/VUDU, and backup alarm clock when my phone's all wonky. I had to do a factory reset on my phone over the weekend because it died while Schmoo was talking to his father. I plugged it in, turned it back on, still went wonky. I did the Android-three-finger-salute (power, home, volume down) and cleared the phone's cache. Turned it back on, and it said, "Unauthorized software has been installed, this device is locked. See carrier to unlock." Naturally, it was AFTER T-Mobile closed, so in a fit of desperation, I did a factory reset. Got the phone up and running again, still installing apps and such.

Without my phone OR my tablet, I have no alarm clock. You see, in my house, you can have cats OR things on end tables. Not both. LOL Those floofy faces are lucky they're so cute. SO, this means no alarm clock. Besides, the alarm clocks I've tried have never worked right. I put my phone under my pillow, and when the alarm goes off, it wakes me up.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Desktops are dirt cheap right now since tablets, phones, and laptops are now basically "the things." I prefer a desktop for my writing because the bigger screens help me see what I'm doing (getting old sucks LOL). My phone has Internet, but it's slower than the seven-year itch and I only use it if I need to look up something while I'm away. The smaller screen also doesn't do me many favors.
    "Slower than the seven-year itch." I like that. It's better than what I say: "Slower than a turtle with a broken leg stomping through peanut butter." LOL I haven't thought of an all in one, I like my laptop. I can pack it up and take it with me at a moment's notice if need be. My other job, we have "Working Wednesdays" twice a month and when I can make it, I pack up my lappy in my backpack and off we go. I couldn't do that with an all in one or a desktop.

"I just go here!"

29. 05-18-2017, 01:06 PM

HDMI problem - I can run HDMI to a 32 inch TV with no issues. I try to run it to a 50 inch TV and all I get is the blue desktop. I can't get access to Netflix or YT for instance. I bought a HDMI booster and it still won't work on the larger TV. The only way I can get HDMI on my bigger TV is to get a splitter and run it to BOTH TVs at the same time which is a pain. Any suggestions to help me with this first world problem ??

Haven't used them in years but these guys used to have all things video; they probably still do.

Learned how to hack a DVD player there and make it play stuff it couldn't play.

Good luck!

https://www.videohelp.com/
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

32. 05-31-2017, 07:03 PM

I had to change the screen projection from PC only to duplicate - so simple yet so frustrating.

Mozilla why did you have to change things? My bookmarks are tiny....cannot enlarge. Bookmarks stay up no matter where I am. Won't let me delete history. I just liked the old Mozilla.

Mine acted up so bad I went to Chrome.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

O.k. I may do that.

Progress; they call it.
    I rolled my machine at work back to the last version because some of my stuff seems to have disappeared altogether.

I'm using the "customize" options to get this machine looking and behaving more like it did with the old version.
    What with the customizations, I've gone from absolutely hating it to just disliking it intensely.

The screwed up part of the whole thing is that after a while, I'll get pissed off when they change this version that I don't even like.

38. 01-03-2018, 10:04 PM

I bought a new laptop which is fine but when I use it to watch Netflix on my TV (via HDMI) - the TV screen is way too dark even after adjusting the TV to make it lighter. Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I bought a new laptop which is fine but when I use it to watch Netflix on my TV (via HDMI) - the TV screen is way too dark even after adjusting the TV to make it lighter. Any ideas ?
    Yeah - sounds like you need one of those new, super-high dollar TV's that will be even smarter than your new computer.
    I've noticed a lot of "Holier-than-thou" sort of behavior when connecting smart devices to other smart devices.
    One of them always seems to have a chip on it's shoulder - or someplace - and something to prove.

Actually, I don't know anything about any of that - but I did find this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ptop-hdmi.html

And check out these guys for all things video related:

They used to have the best info for all things video.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Yeah - sounds like you need one of those new, super-high dollar TV's that will be even smarter than your new computer.
    I've noticed a lot of "Holier-than-thou" sort of behavior when connecting smart devices to other smart devices.
    One of them always seems to have a chip on it's shoulder - or someplace - and something to prove.

Actually, I don't know anything about any of that - but I did find this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ptop-hdmi.html

And check out these guys for all things video related:

They used to have the best info for all things video.
    Seems you are right Jim. My big screen TV is way too dark for streaming with this new laptop. I took the laptop to a neighbors house who has a new TV and it worked fine. So I need to buy a new TV in order to stream. The TV I have is good for cable only. Damn technology.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Seems you are right Jim. My big screen TV is way too dark for streaming with this new laptop. I took the laptop to a neighbors house who has a new TV and it worked fine. So I need to buy a new TV in order to stream. The TV I have is good for cable only. Damn technology.
    Have you tried taunting it or threatening it?
    I find that very effective with some older technologies.
    Well, with some older people anyway.

I curse my electronics regularly. It helps. I have a HP aio. and it works pretty well. They touch screen is handy. Unless the Cats are nosey.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

My laptop keeps alternating from A/C power to battery power. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

Well, first question would be, are the lights in the house flickering on and off?

Seriously, I'm guessing it may be your AC power supply.
    If it's starting to fail, that could well happen.

You can turn the computer off, remove the battery and any external stuff (monitors, printers, etc.) then turn it on using just the AC power supply. If it seems to operate normally, it's not that power supply; I would then maybe suspect the battery.

DanfosvltsVox Guest

Computer Software and Cellphone Questions and Advice

Thank you for all your hard work in maintaining this forumI would like to ask if all the old posts and conversations will be copied over to the new forum. Some old threads I have bookmarked are coming up as 404

Yo need an android phone to use Chromecast - so much for that Father's Day gift. Roku it is.

what are advantages of getting vpn??

Quote Originally Posted by DanfosvltsVox View Post
    Thank you for all your hard work in maintaining this forumI would like to ask if all the old posts and conversations will be copied over to the new forum. Some old threads I have bookmarked are coming up as 404
    They're coming up as 404 because the destinations of those bookmarks are no longer valid. Simply delete those old bookmarks, do an advanced search for the threads, and bookmark the new locations.

50. 08-21-2020, 09:27 PM

Okay I hinted at this in the vent thread, but I felt going into detail about it belongs here, since it's tech related and I am a self-professed "technodiva." Ex used to laugh at that and say, "Computer. Nerrrrr-ud."

I have a Google Pixel 4XL cell phone. Got it maybe six months ago when my Samsung Galaxy S9 finally gave up the ghost after an unfortunate drowning in queso. (Long story.) I wanted the Pixel 3, but T-Mobile was out, as I didn't want to wait for delivery, I "settled" for the 4XL. Yes, it has all the bells and whistles but it also has a much inferior battery life to the 3. (Roughly 22 hours versus 36.)

BTW, running the phone in dark mode has been a TREMENDOUS help with battery life, just saying if you're having a problem with your phone's battery life and running the phone in dark mode is an option, go for it. Easier on the eyes AND the battery. I harp on battery life because as a woman who walks 2.6 miles a day ALONE I NEED my phone battery to be there for me should I need to call 911 for whatever reason.

I've been happy with the 4XL, took to the gestures pretty quickly. To the point I can't figure out why they don't work on my Kindle Fire 8. (LOL) Anyway, I had an update to Android a few weeks ago, and after the usual delaying it till the weekend when I'm not relying on my phone to wake me up in time to get out the door for work on time, everything was okay for a while. Until tonight.

After ordering DoorDash for my friends and myself earlier today, I went to try to dismiss the app like I usually did: swipe up, see the apps parade across my screen, and flick upwards on the app to dismiss it. Did that happen? NOPE. I let it go at the time, because my friends had driven 2-1/2 hours to spend the day with me and I preferred to spend time with them than worry over my phone.

Once they left, though, I started Googling and found out that that particular feature, which included the screenshot feature, had been phased out. Uh, excuse me. Some of us got used to that and now we have no way of exiting out apps, so they sit taking up battery and RAM, which is NOT cool. Google did not offer me any suggestions, so here I sit, asking y'all techies if y'all might have any experience with this and suggestions?

"I just go here!"

Did you try customizing a new toolbar at the bottom of your screen, disabling unused apps, cutting back on notifications, and choosing which apps you'll allow to run in the background? My granddaughter had that same issue with her iphone until I showed that stuff to her. Adding the new customized toolbar at the bottom solved it for her. She did the other stuff to save her battery. Good deal, good kid.

She's my junior technowiz that I have on my phone plan, and her data was going through the roof before I explained the above and had her go through the steps for each. She's also got wifi on and data/battery suckage was still happening until she turned off mobile data. She needed to do that because of the order of operations for any piece of technology: hardware turns on first, then the operating system, allowed apps load in the background, then the technology connects to its isp. If it's wifi and no data allowed, that order of operations won't vary. If it's set for mobile data or a mobile data/wifi combination, data will come on as soon as the operating system has booted up. That drains both the battery and RAM until the wifi switches on. I'm sure you know the second half of this stuff. It might help someone else in the future though, so there ya go folks.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Did you try customizing a new toolbar at the bottom of your screen, disabling unused apps, cutting back on notifications, and choosing which apps you'll allow to run in the background? My granddaughter had that same issue with her iphone until I showed that stuff to her. Adding the new customized toolbar at the bottom solved it for her. She did the other stuff to save her battery. Good deal, good kid.

She's my junior technowiz that I have on my phone plan, and her data was going through the roof before I explained the above and had her go through the steps for each. She's also got wifi on and data/battery suckage was still happening until she turned off mobile data. She needed to do that because of the order of operations for any piece of technology: hardware turns on first, then the operating system, allowed apps load in the background, then the technology connects to its isp. If it's wifi and no data allowed, that order of operations won't vary. If it's set for mobile data or a mobile data/wifi combination, data will come on as soon as the operating system has booted up. That drains both the battery and RAM until the wifi switches on. I'm sure you know the second half of this stuff. It might help someone else in the future though, so there ya go folks.
    I'm not on an iPhone. I'm on a Google Pixel XL. (I wanted the 3 because it has a superior battery life, but it is what it is. I DID get a bigger screen so there's that.) After I posted that, it seemed to start working again, but only if I'd swipe up from the bottom and hold my finger on the screen for a few seconds for all the apps to show up in a line across the screen. That said, SOMETIMES it will cooperate, and sometimes it won't. *shrugs shoulders*

"I just go here!"

Those options aren't particular to any phone model. They're universal like a GUI or start button.