Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121920212223 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1124

Thread: Computer, Software and Cellphone Questions and Advice

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    So we've been having storms and my internet went out for most of today. So, even though comcast was out, I clicked on FAD and netgear genie popped up and now I'm on the internet, but the little icon on my hidden thingies on the right side of my screen says "no internet?" WTF? I can't find anything useful about it--nothing bad, yet, but I don't intend paying for two providers. I did send them an email, but that may not do any good.

More info: My desktop is wired, but my tablet and Sissy's phone are wifi using a netgear modem. Does that mean anything?
    Never mind. Sissy says Netgear genie always lets her know when the internet is back up. Never seen it, but it might be because the power went out.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    I invested about $150 last year in an APC "UPS"...uninterruptible power supply...and glad I did. Basically they are self charging backup batteries with surge protection. I connected the power cords from the modem, router, and wireless printer to it and it does the job. They also have surge protection for cable or dsl internet connections to modem. It most comes in handy during those occasional good weather power blinks and it kicks in instantly. More than once I have sat through a storm and the power blinked 2 or 3 times...they beep whenever battery backup kicks in...with uninterrupted internet.

Okay...I grabbed Windows 10 and ran a few tests. Looks like it is slightly faster on startup for games and programs...but it is slower on initial boot-up. Also the RAM usage is lower for individual programs. But still....I am not impressed...I see little Difference between 7 and 10. Maybe because I use upper end equipment. FYI

Asrock z77 Extreme 11
    Intell I7-3770k overclocked to 4.4GHZ
    Quad Sapphire hd-7950's
    1600 Watt EVAG PSU
    32gb DDR3

I supply the list in case anyone is using this type of equipment and you now know what to expect. Game performance I see no difference...NONE....even on GTA V which is really FPS hungry.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

I have the fastest resident cable internet you can get and the only time I have trouble booting up is when Firefox is updating and they will not let me boot until they are finished. I usually use Chrome until I can get back to FF. I do not like Chrome at all, but it's better than nothing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have to say I love, love, love the video player that was recommended in this thread. My new computer came with something called "Power DVD" which claims to be the number one DVD software. Bullshit. Half the DVDs I tried to play got stuck every single time I'd hit "episode selection" or even "play", the whole thing would just freeze, every time. I got so sick of it I was ready to throw the computer out the window. This new player is great, I haven't had a single problem playing any DVD at all. So thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I have to say I love, love, love the video player that was recommended in this thread. My new computer came with something called "Power DVD" which claims to be the number one DVD software. Bullshit. Half the DVDs I tried to play got stuck every single time I'd hit "episode selection" or even "play", the whole thing would just freeze, every time. I got so sick of it I was ready to throw the computer out the window. This new player is great, I haven't had a single problem playing any DVD at all. So thank you!!

Is it something to download or is it an external device????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

am I actually going to have to click on the 'internet' symbol every time I open, start, restart my HP Windows 8????? Why doesn't it just automatically access the internet??? Is the signal bad or I need a new modem? My mother doesn't have to always click on the symbol on hers......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mine keeps "falling offline." I think it's the shitty Clear Wireless.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post

I have Comcast...... could that be it??? Also my scren dims when its plugged in but is brighter when I take the plug out. How do I change this?? Its okay but darker than when its plugged out....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I have Comcast...... could that be it??? Also my scren dims when its plugged in but is brighter when I take the plug out. How do I change this?? Its okay but darker than when its plugged out....
    Could be. Usually it's the opposite. Your screen should be brighter plugged in and dimmer when it's on battery. You should be able to go into the display settings and tweak things.

"I just go here!"

Tiff, it was just a software download to play DVDs on my laptop. I have a DVD drive, but the software that came with the computer to watch them with was shit, so I downloaded the VLC media player and it's worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Tiff, it was just a software download to play DVDs on my laptop. I have a DVD drive, but the software that came with the computer to watch them with was shit, so I downloaded the VLC media player and it's worked like a charm.
    I use VLC to record stuff from my dvr that I want to keep. It's totally awesome possum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    I had Clear back when it was called Clearwire and I kept falling offline as well and after months and months of shitty service we finally went somewhere else.

We would call them about the problem and they were shocked because I live directly under one of their towers and they said I should be getting spectacular service, spectacular it wasn't.

When we went to cancel them they said that we would be charged 400 dollars termination fee

my Galaxy S4 just started to show a 'mini today' calendar thing on the home screen when I go to unlock it. I hate this thing! How do I disable the damn mini calendar on the home screen!?!? I can't see my wallpaper now. Plus there are no events anyway its just a little blank mini calendar thing that is wasting space & my wallpaper can't be seen!!

AND another thing.... WTF does this mean!?! I try to sign on to my work's HR site to view my paycheck & this happens.

I deleted cookies & it happened again.. Is it my computer or the site???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (8).png 
Views:	146 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	53054  
    Last edited by Tiffany; 09-10-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have almost the same problem with my google 3G smartphone. The wallpaper disappears after a day or two.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Is it something to download or is it an external device????
    VLC Media Player. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I upgraded one of my installs to Windows 10. The upgrade went surprisingly smoothly.

Ok so I go into my itunes to make a new cd & sign in, my playlist, my music everything is gone. Then it asks me to go to the Itunes Store or Scan Media so I chose Media Scan.... after that I stopped it & went to my itunes & it looks like the media added automatically 1000+ songs I had no idea where they came from, whom they are; shit I would not even pay 1.00 to have in my itunes like Amy Winehouse & Adam Sandler ......

WTF is going on?? Did I change my password & forget it & this is the old one???? I doubt that because I was on my itunes earlier & same passwd. This is my Windows 8 laptop, got stuff from my old laptop transferred over to this one....

HELP ASAP!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (10).png 
Views:	134 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	53077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (9).png 
Views:	133 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	53078  
    Last edited by Tiffany; 09-14-2015 at 08:00 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tiffany, I found this on the web, maybe it helps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203225

Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

my phone Galaxy S4 is stuck in Android Recovery System & won't get out; I will click on using the volume button the Reboot System Now & it says 'Error' .... I dropped it and thats how its like that. Plus it does need a new SD card but I just never got it. I don't want to delete all my photos I have!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Would somebody please give me the blow by blow steps on hooking wifi (Netgrear) to Sissy's phone after a power longish power outage?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Would somebody please give me the blow by blow steps on hooking wifi (Netgrear) to Sissy's phone after a power longish power outage?
    Are you talking about connecting an iPhone or Android to your wifi? If so, the first thing you need to know is the router's password, provided it's password protected, which is highly recommended.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 10-19-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Are you talking about connecting an iPhone or Android to your wifi? If so, the first thing you need to know is the router's password, provided it's password protected, which is highly recommended.
    It's Sissy's, not mine. I don't know what it is. But she does have a password, but can't get it connected.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    No matter the platform, somewhere in the settings is a Wifi section. Within that her phone should be seeing and displaying the name of the router, same name your laptop wifi is connected to. If you're not sure of the name, just go to control panel on your wireless pc and then to network. If your pc is wireless, the name of the router will be displayed there. Netgear routers usually use that name i.e. mine is Netgear42.

Her phone should be showing that same name, possibly among others in the neighborhood. If so, tap your home router name. From there she should be prompted to enter the router password and then join.

If the phone isn't showing the router name at all, there should be some option to turn on to manually search for a network. There you can type in the router name and password.

No matter the platform, somewhere in the settings is a Wifi section. Within that her phone should be seeing and displaying the name of the router, same name your laptop wifi is connected to. If you're not sure of the name, just go to control panel on your wireless pc and then to network. If your pc is wireless, the name of the router will be displayed there. Netgear routers usually use that name i.e. mine is Netgear42.

Her phone should be showing that same name, possibly among others in the neighborhood. If so, tap your home router name. From there she should be prompted to enter the router password and then join.

If the phone isn't showing the router name at all, there should be some option to turn on to manually search for a network. There you can type in the router name and password.
    It's android. She says she has checked all that you mentioned, but no go. She may be copying down the wrong password, but she says not. So, maybe she can get her son in law over here. Thanks for trying to help.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy,

Most Netgear routers have an easy way of connecting through "push 'n connect"

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...h-n-connect%3F

Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    Cindy,

Most Netgear routers have an easy way of connecting through "push 'n connect"

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...h-n-connect%3F
    Thanks, Jerry. I'll get with her this afternoon.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My android quit working--no texts, no phone, no camera, no manage apps list showing. Could I need a new battery? It needed restarting.
    Last edited by cindyt; 10-23-2015 at 04:22 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Windows 10 shares your files with the internet and here's how to turn it off:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164600352.html

Windows 10 shares your files with the internet and here's how to turn it off:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows...164600352.html
    The Non-tin foil hat version here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ws-privacy-faq

My Outlook email account now says Preview - it is slower and more cumbersome than the original. Anyone know how to get back to the original Outlook which was just fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    My Outlook email account now says Preview - it is slower and more cumbersome than the original. Anyone know how to get back to the original Outlook which was just fine by me.
    I don't like mine either, so I googled how to return to the original and some weenie said you couldn't go back. However, I just found this, which may or may not work. https://account.live.com/ManageAssocIds
    Last edited by cindyt; 10-28-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I don't like mine either, so I googled how to return to the original and some weenie said you couldn't go back. However, I just found this, which may or may not work. https://account.live.com/ManageAssocIds
    thanks - looks like I'm stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    thanks - looks like I'm stuck with it.
    Yep. I adapted, but still...
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I am waiting until the very last day I can to go Win10. Maybe they will have some bugs worked out by then.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I am waiting until the very last day I can to go Win10. Maybe they will have some bugs worked out by then.
    I'm still on W7, but some sites and apps are changing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

okay so suddenly about a month ago and unexpectedly my itunes is gone- all my songs, everything is not in my music & now is replaced with sh*t I have never heard of before nor would I pay 0.1 to have in my ipod. I signed in correct, I even uninstalled my itunes & reinstalled it & still is music that 'scanned' from before... I have no idea where everything went. There is not a 'download history' button anywhere......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I got my itunes fixed but now my home computer is about 10+ years old & when the whole computer is turned on the monitor is black & says "No signal" ... I can't do anything on it. Do I need a new monitor???? I don't know anything about taking any RAM out & replacing it.....I read that somewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

navallint Guest
    Have you checked your connections, the cables?
    Also, restart the pc, that will fix a few problems I have had.

I got my itunes fixed but now my home computer is about 10+ years old & when the whole computer is turned on the monitor is black & says "No signal" ... I can't do anything on it. Do I need a new monitor???? I don't know anything about taking any RAM out & replacing it.....I read that somewhere.
    I had the same problem earlier this year and had to buy a new monitor. It started out the way you described, Tiff, and I was able to get the signal back, and then one day it just quit working.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I suspect the monitor is fine, but there's an issue with the cable and/or the computer.

First of all, I'd check that the monitor cable is plugged in securely at both ends.

Wow, super freaky this morning I tried to get here and kept getting to a Go Daddy page that said this domain was available. Email to Scott@findadeath.com bounced back too. Very odd . . .
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    Wow, super freaky this morning I tried to get here and kept getting to a Go Daddy page that said this domain was available. Email to Scott@findadeath.com bounced back too. Very odd . . .
    Mine would just not open at all.......1st time all day
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

navallint Guest
    I got the same all day yesterday, and tried again about an hour ago and still an error message. Treid on laptop, pc, ipad and phone. No other sites so I knew it wasn't my thingies.

Me too. I considered buying the domain, launching a successful IPO and then selling the site to Yahoo or Facebook for billions upon billions of dollars.

But alas, I am lazy.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Me too. I considered buying the domain, launching a successful IPO and then selling the site to Yahoo or Facebook for billions upon billions of dollars.

But alas, I am lazy.
    Me too.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

This happened around the first of October back in 2009. I don't know how long it lasted, because I was in the hospital. The IV meds were causing me to hallucinate and every time I closed my eyes I could see the forum, but none of the links would work. So, when I got out I clicked over here and got Go Daddy. Finally, it cleared up, and I was posting about my hallucination and SomeChick goes "You!" as if my hallucination had put a witchy spell on FAD.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thought I had a virus or my old computer was crashing and I freaked.

Cindy assured me all was well and that is a wild experience you went through!

New computer, new keyboard, new mouse everything is new my heart is pounding I do not like change. I think I am doing ok tho. Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post

But alas, I am lazy.
    Me, too, but at the time, I was broke with a capital Broke. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    New computer, new keyboard, new mouse everything is new my heart is pounding I do not like change. I think I am doing ok tho. Holy crap.
    Oooh, what kind did you get?

"I just go here!"