Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer, Software and Cellphone Questions and Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    VLC is a superior media player, not doubt. Are you installing VLC? If so, it will probably substitute what you've been using WMP for automatically, or you will be prompted to do so.

Thats the thing... First I am trying to install this VLC shyt but its taking forever & two it slows down whatever else I am doing. I know its not a good idea to have more than one app at a time however even when I just have the VLC going, it either stops or just takes forever & I don't know what the next step is.... There is no pop-up.

I appreciate the help & the forum usage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    So you're saying VLC is slow to install or installation stalls?

BTW, did you check for updates for Windows Media Player?

So you're saying VLC is slow to install or installation stalls?

BTW, did you check for updates for Windows Media Player?
    Yes I saw it automatically checks for updates in WMP & yes its very slow &/or just stops
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    VLC is a great player but it's a different animal from WMP. I assume you have yet to get it fully installed. Your antivirus and/or firewall might be inhibiting installation. Turn off your a/v and firewall, or internet protection, which ever you have. If you are using Windows Firewall, I don't think it would stop installation. Also shut down any other applications you might have open. Try that and see what happens.

VLC is a great player but it's a different animal from WMP. I assume you have yet to get it fully installed. Your antivirus and/or firewall might be inhibiting installation. Turn off your a/v and firewall, or internet protection, which ever you have. If you are using Windows Firewall, I don't think it would stop installation. Also shut down any other applications you might have open. Try that and see what happens.
    Thanks! I will try this tonight/tomorrow.... after the state fair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ALSO Is it possible to & I mean an easy solution- I want there to be a timer on the Windows 7 webcam so that I can take pics wihtout clicking the button on the mouse.

Is it possible???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    ALSO Is it possible to & I mean an easy solution- I want there to be a timer on the Windows 7 webcam so that I can take pics wihtout clicking the button on the mouse.

Is it possible???
    I'm sure there's an app for that somewhere but I wouldn't know. Being paranoid of web snooping, one of the first things I to this laptop out of the box was to disable the camera.

Many compromising photos of women on the Internet were taken without their knowledge via laptop malware.

Bidmor Guest
    I just don't like the idea of a camera facing me all the time...too easy to be watched by anyone...or any agency. In fact, just to make sure, I'll stick a piece of electric tape over the lens.

I just don't like the idea of a camera facing me all the time...too easy to be watched by anyone...or any agency. In fact, just to make sure, I'll stick a piece of electric tape over the lens.
    You might also just secure your PC with a firewall and a (non-free) antivirus program and do regular checks....

(or stick your head in the sand and buy a mac because they are "not affected by viruses" )
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    You might also just secure your PC with a firewall and a (non-free) antivirus program and do regular checks....

(or stick your head in the sand and buy a mac because they are "not affected by viruses" )
    Not so much concerned about viruses, but one of the first things I did on this laptop out of the box was go into device manager and disable the cam. I guess if I wanted to get radical, I could delete the drivers.

I'm playing Dexter season 2 is playing through the VLC Player & the volume is still low.....

COuld a speaker be busted??? Non-fixable??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    I'm playing Dexter season 2 is playing through the VLC Player & the volume is still low.....

COuld a speaker be busted??? Non-fixable??
    Since playback volume is low from two different media players...VLC and WMP...that is a possibility, but I doubt it. That would mean that both speakers are damaged and that's nearly impossible.

You said upthread that the volume from a YT vid was ok. If that's the case, I'm thinking your audio drivers may be corrupt or the audio chip may be jacked. I think the next thing to do is to check and see if the audio drivers are ok or need re-installing.

Right click on "My Computer" and left click on Properties.

On the left side of the window, click on "Device Manager"

Click on the tiny arrow next to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers"

You should see at least one audio device listed..."blah blah Audio"...probably two audio devices listed if not more.

Right click on each and select Properties. In the General tab under Device Status, you should see "This device is working properly". If not, click on the Driver tab and select "Update Driver" button and follow instructions. Windows will go out on the web and find the latest driver and install it.

Repeat the above with each audio device listed. If you end up installing new drivers, you will need to restart afterward. If all audio devices show to be working properly, just cancel out of each window.

If you see 3 audio devices, one has probably been installed by another app and there may lie your problem as that one is probably set as the default audio device. Let me know if such is the case.

Everything is in pretty plain English. Just don't click on Uninstall.

Since playback volume is low from two different media players...VLC and WMP...that is a possibility, but I doubt it. That would mean that both speakers are damaged and that's nearly impossible.

You said upthread that the volume from a YT vid was ok. If that's the case, I'm thinking your audio drivers may be corrupt or the audio chip may be jacked. I think the next thing to do is to check and see if the audio drivers are ok or need re-installing.

You should see at least one audio device listed..."blah blah Audio"...probably two audio devices listed if not more.

Right click on each and select Properties. In the General tab under Device Status, you should see "This device is working properly". If not, click on the Driver tab and select "Update Driver" button and follow instructions. Windows will go out on the web and find the latest driver and install it.

Repeat the above with each audio device listed. If you end up installing new drivers, you will need to restart afterward. If all audio devices show to be working properly, just cancel out of each window.

If you see 3 audio devices, one has probably been installed by another app and there may lie your problem as that one is probably set as the default audio device. Let me know if such is the case.

Thank you. SO I did all up to 'device status' and it des not say 'this device is working properly' and nor does it say driver tab. Instead it gives a list of stuff from ACPI Power Button, ACPI Sleep Button, AMD PCI Express, ATI I/O Communication Processor.... Lexmark Pro910 Series (my wireless printer)

And PS there is no 'My computer' its just 'computer' so I was looking for 'my computer' when I could have easily just clicked on that... lol.

Thanks! Let me do this again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forget what I just said in my last one, I did something wrong & did everything you said. I clicked on them both under 'sound' and they both said they were working properly and then I hit search for update changes & then they searched online & came back & said 'its already updated with the best software' or some shyt. I dunno whats wrong maybe I have to pay big money to have it replaced.
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    Well since you can play a YT vid ok (correct?) but using any media player results in bad sound, the problem still could be corrupt audio drivers...which requires deleting them and then reinstalling...or the sound chip is jacked. Either way, I think we've arrived at the point to take it to a shop.

Just for grins, do you get crappy sound from headphone output too?

yes the sound is low too with headphones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    Ok. Just in case, right click on your little speaker again and choose Playback Devices, then click on Speakers, then on Properties at bottom, then select Enhancements tab and make sure none listed there...Equalizer, Loudness Compensation, etc...are unchecked. Also take a look at any other tabs labeled Audio Enhancements and uncheck all. If the Apply button lights up after you've unchecked anything, click it before OK.

Other than that, I think it's time for a trip to the shop. It's probably a quick fix but difficult to direct through this forum.

thank you I'll mess with it. I'm thinking a trip to a small local business is cheaper than Geek Squad.

MEANWHILE NEW PROBLEM: the light on my Galaxy S4 is out now and it won't light ....
    Last edited by Tiffany; 10-03-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    Definitely. A small, local shop is always preferable to Geek Squad.

Update I just noticed - as I'm watching my movies or whatev through WMP, the loudness is there for maybe 12-15 seconds then it automatically decreases and its so low even though when I click on the icon & right click it & bring up the playback devices, etc... the bar is all the way up... I can't bring the bars anymore up....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

so, i'am not the only one that does that. cool.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

In fact... the background music is loud just fine, the dialogue is what is so low even though the speakers are up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have to listen to my computer and tv through headphones because of being hearing impairment. For dialog I have to use the graphic equalizer to increase the middle and upper freq's. too much bass drowns everything else out for me.
    Last edited by cleanskull; 10-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Add me to the list, I've had my PC camera covered for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Add me to the list, I've had my PC camera covered for quite a while.
    That makes me feel better. Thank you. The more I read about the interweb the more it, concerns me.

Bidmor Guest
    Update I just noticed - as I'm watching my movies or whatev through WMP, the loudness is there for maybe 12-15 seconds then it automatically decreases and its so low even though when I click on the icon & right click it & bring up the playback devices, etc... the bar is all the way up... I can't bring the bars anymore up....
    In fact... the background music is loud just fine, the dialogue is what is so low even though the speakers are up.
    As if every spoken word which should be heard from both speakers, sounds like very muddy mumbling...unintelligible...while background music sounds fine?

As if every spoken word which should be heard from both speakers, sounds like very muddy mumbling...unintelligible...while background music sounds fine?
    Oh sorry I must have forgot that I already posted that lol. its just been one thing after another it seems. Ya, pretty much - background music is fine, the dialogue is not syncing up either. And low
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    If that's the case, Tiff, it sure strikes me as one channel/speaker being out of phase with the other. I know that probably doesn't mean anything to you but old time audiophiles know what the result is...pretty much the same as what you describe you are hearing. Anyway, if one channel is out of phase with the other on a pc it can only be done by either software setting of a hardware problem.

Right click on your little speaker then select Playback Devices, then Speakers, then Properties button at the bottom after it lights up, then select Enhancements tab. Inside the inner window of that tab, scroll through all listings...Environment, Voice Cancellation, Pitch Shift, etc...making sure all are unchecked If you see a Disable All Sound Effects box, check it and check Immediate Mode.

If you see another tab labeled with any kind of audio enhancement, select it and uncheck any enhancements listed there.

When you're done, click Apply if it is lit up. Click OK whether Apply button is lit or not. Then restart you laptop and try out WMP again.

My speakers hooked to my computer blew out, quit working. Husband removed speakers and accidentally unhooked my server from the internet. Hooked back up, and my u-tube account had been deleted???? All of my videos gone....it would not let me reset my password at all, took forever to set up new account. I was signed in to my account but I was also signed in to many other sites and they did not delete. Isn't that kind of odd or am I a complete dumbass here?

BTW! I need to know how to download/save my YT videos to my computer. Please tell me ASAP. I have special videos of my cat Fancy on there I can't loose. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bidmor Guest
    My primary browser is Firefox so tools for that are what I'm familiar with. If you use FF, get an add-on called Download Helper...it works pretty good and is simplest to use, and it's free.

Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...dl-mostpopular

You can play around in the preferences to have any vids downloaded to your desktop or anywhere else you choose.

If you don't use FF, I know there are add-on's / plug-in's for IE but I'm unfamiliar with them. Someone else here will need to chime in if that's the case.

My primary browser is Firefox so tools for that are what I'm familiar with. If you use FF, get an add-on called Download Helper...it works pretty good and is simplest to use, and it's free.

Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...dl-mostpopular

You can play around in the preferences to have any vids downloaded to your desktop or anywhere else you choose.

If you don't use FF, I know there are add-on's / plug-in's for IE but I'm unfamiliar with them. Someone else here will need to chime in if that's the case.
    I do use FF thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a perfectly good laptop with a cracked screen. Is it possible to replace a screen?

Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    I have a perfectly good laptop with a cracked screen. Is it possible to replace a screen?
    I think so.

Bidmor Guest
    Want to know who is spying on you online? There's an app for that.

http://www.zdnet.com/want-to-know-wh...e539&ttag=e539

Who needs an app for that, ZDNet ? Pllllllllllpt!

Instead just go into your internet options and choose to have FF clear cookies and cache everytime you exit your browser. Same thing. No app or extension necessary.

On Thursday evening Sissy says she sent me a tet about 5 letting me know she was home with supper. But I didn't get it until 6pm. What the flop?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Who needs an app for that, ZDNet ? Pllllllllllpt!

Instead just go into your internet options and choose to have FF clear cookies and cache everytime you exit your browser. Same thing. No app or extension necessary.
    I installed it and it's showing third-party sites I've never seen on my cookie list, which I manually go through delete daily cookies I don't want. Then again I have FF set to not accept third party cookies. That routine and using NoScript add-on and little judicious surfing keeps me clean of malicious stuff.

Makes no difference though...you can still be tracked by the feds.

Well ofcourse. They're meanies like that. But the ZDNet article title is misleading and alarming. When really a person just needs to use the functionality FF and other browsers already have. So easy, I set it up to do this stuff within options on my 75 year-old mother's FF upon initial installation and she never has any issues.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 10-25-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    You'd have to find the exact screen part, which will probably be difficult. If you don't need to use the laptop outside the house you can plug it in to a desktop monitor.

I just bought my ipod nano 7G .. everything was working just fine until just a few minutes ago I must have accidentally put it on repeat... How the heLL do I take it off repeat!?!?!

and I got a message saying "Tiffanys Ipod" the videos can't play on this ipod.... WTF!!?!?!
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK - I'm running a new laptop with 8. It has suddenly started acting oddly. I'm scrolling through a page and it resizes the page zoom; image gets smaller when scrolling down; bigger when up. Everything that I click on in IE and FF now opens in a new tab. I can be typing a message; hit a key and a dialog box will pop up as if I want to save a file or something. I'm surprised that I've gotten through this message with only two attempts. Anybody got any suggestions?
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I HATE Windows 8. I have a Samsung. I have to reload almost every new page 2-5 times, I have the same problem with the resizing, but I think that's from the sides of my thumbs sliding on the mouse. Yeah, this one has got to go.

I have 8 and it works perfectly. I am running it on an ASUS N76V laptop.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I use 8.1 at the lab all day and have no issues with it.

Just to make sure.. you do know that it is not W8,, but the new touch pads in laptops that use the "pinch to zoom" feature that came from mobile phones?

Use only one (1) finger to scroll and you'll be fine
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Definitely. I know more than the Geek Squad. Hubby says should work there and teach those effers a thing or two. LOL. I took a laptop in once with an LCD that as going out. I told them what was going on with it, and they kept saying no, no, it wasn't my LCD going out it was this, or that. I insisted it wasn't. They hooked it up to a monitor, and that was the problem.

Here's my exact words to them: "I am a computer science major at [insert name here] College. Just because I am a woman does not mean I am clueless about computers and technology. You would do well to stop assuming this about your customers. And by the way, I told you so."

My TV does that. I have no problem with my tablet and had no problem with my computer. I don't know what the deal is.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Bidmor Guest
    Ria, your's and Tiff's common problem with the dialog "missing". I don't know what your tv speaker system is but as an old audiophile I can tell you how one could suppress "center channel" vocals in the pre-digital stereo days.

Most voices in stereo recordings are in the so-called "center" channel. It's a phantom channel which is created by applying the volume of voice (for example) equally to both the left and right channels/speakers. Doing so fools our ears and brain by the voice seemingly to originate from between the speakers...the center channel. In the old days, if anyone wanted to make a karaoke recording from a LP or tape, we'd take the cable of one channel and reverse the positive and negative leads. What that would do, if the recording was in stereo, is put one of the channels 180 degrees out of sonic phase with the other channel. The result is that most of the center channel vocal would disappear.

It's strange that you are having the same problem as Tiffany with your tv. It's a process of elimination but are you using the built-in speakers or do you have an external multi-speaker surround sound system? Do you have this problem on all tv channels all the time? Have you tried changing your tv's sound setting to mono and, if so, could you hear voice just fine?

I have an older TV, no surround sound or external speakers. We have adjusted the settings and still have problems. We turn the sound up to hear the voices, and the next sound effects are so loud we are deafened. Hubby and I chalked it up to the older TV. Thus one is no flat screen, its got a CRT.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."