Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer, Software and Cellphone Questions and Advice

Armcast Guest
    I don't know about all of the pictures, but if they are hotlinked, they may be hosted at a site that is restricted by your ISP...just a thought...

Do you have something on your PC like NetNanny that's supposed to restrict access to certain internet sites?

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    How would your computer know they are oogy photos? Maybe they have viruses attached or something. I do remember warnings in the Nikki thread about the viruses.
    LOL....that is a good question RaRa. I found in the Security settings that it indeed can check the type of content that you are looking at, and I tried fixing all the settings so that nothing will be blocked, but to no avail.

LMAO @ you Eca!!! hahahahaaaaaaaaaa.........so true! LOL

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    I don't know about all of the pictures, but if they are hotlinked, they may be hosted at a site that is restricted by your ISP...just a thought...

Do you have something on your PC like NetNanny that's supposed to restrict access to certain internet sites?
    I have something like that, but I disabled all of it. And I don't know where that stupid program came from, I sure as shit didn't put it on my computer. Here is an example of a link that will not display pics. Please don't click on it if you don't care to see gore. My computer is preventing me from viewing the pics on this site. Again - WARNING - These are crime scene photos and probably very gory.

http://www.justicefordarlie.net/galleries.php

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    That would just piss me off...Hope you get it fixed...

Seagorath Guest
    Here?

insanejeff Guest
    Hon, the 'photos' on that Darlie site are actually embedded in Flash. You just need to update your flash player:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

You may need to do it twice, once for each browser.. not sure.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Here?
    Actually, I haven't tried looking at any here lately, but I am going to try it since you mentioned it.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejeff View Post
    Hon, the 'photos' on that Darlie site are actually embedded in Flash. You just need to update your flash player:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

You may need to do it twice, once for each browser.. not sure.
    Welp, I downloaded the update above and the pics still won't load.
    Thank you for the suggestion though, I needed the update.

insanejeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
    Welp, I downloaded the update above and the pics still won't load.
    Thank you for the suggestion though, I needed the update.
    Sorry that didn't work. I really don't think it's censorship since you can view other things on that site (I assume) and it loads otherwise.

Actually, you might be able to try this:

http://www.hidemyass.com

A free proxy. See if by going through that it allows you to view them. If you can, then your ISP is indeed doing something, but if not, it must be some other problem.

Zombiegirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejeff View Post
    Sorry that didn't work. I really don't think it's censorship since you can view other things on that site (I assume) and it loads otherwise.

Actually, you might be able to try this:

http://www.hidemyass.com

A free proxy. See if by going through that it allows you to view them. If you can, then your ISP is indeed doing something, but if not, it must be some other problem.
    Thank you for the link. I'll give it a try. There is other weird stuff going on too. I downloaded Safari and wanted to make that my default browser but cannot accomplish this. I set the default to Safari on Safari, but can't de-select Firefox from being the default. I think I need a new computer.

ARRRRGGGHHH! Computer Won't "Recognize" 1TB External Hard Drive!

Up until a couple of days ago, my computer (Dell Dimension 2400) was working fine with a 1 TB (terabyte) external hard drive.

Fast forward to yesterday morning:

I get up and turn my computer on and it won't boot up - not even in "Safe" mode - so I reformatted because the people at Dell told me that the OS (Windows XP Home) somehow got corrupted. I got the hard drive (external) working yesterday ok too but - now it won't recognize it.

It's a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB External Hard Drive and what's befuddling me is that it was working absolutely fine up to this point and now my computer won't 'recognize' it.....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-16-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

rickenbacker Guest
    How is it connected...USB?

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    How is it connected...USB?
    Yep, at the back of the 'puter.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

rickenbacker Guest
    Have you looked in Device Management to see if there are any problems with the USB ports?

Nope, guess I should do that......*goes to check*
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-16-2008 at 08:13 PM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Gotta be something to do with the Windows reinstall. I hate Windows. But, if it worked properly, I wouldn't have a job!

Gotta be something to do with the Windows reinstall. I hate Windows. But, if it worked properly, I wouldn't have a job!
    LOL! I can't figure out why it recognized it just fine when I bought it but now decides not to recognize it, though.

I even re-installed the USB drivers and nothing worked.

The guy at Dell (why in the hell can't we speak to a flipping American tech support dude/dudette anymore?!?!?) said that it could be the motherboard.

I've heard that a motherboard is expensive.

rickenbacker Guest
    Ugh. Something my dad always taught me about working on cars holds true for working on computers. Start with the least expensive/easiest thing to fix first. This may sound silly, but try a different USB port. Also, if you've got another USB cable lying around, swap cables. Can't say you might not end up looking at a motherboard issue, but jeez, there's plenty of other things to try first!

Bidmor Guest
    I own a WD My Book external USB hd also, but only about 350 gigs.

I recently too was forced to run the Dell Windows (XP Pro) re-install disc on a Dimension 3100 office pc because a virus (I suppose) had corrupted some dll's and Windows wouldn't fully load. This pc doesn't have the My Book attached.

After the the re-install was finished, nearly everything was ok except a few screwy things like the Windows-installed desktop link to O.E. didn't work, so I had to delete it and go into the Windows directory and drag a shortcut onto the desktop to the O.E. exe.

Aside from Rickenbacker's excellent suggestion, I'd run Windows update just to make sure they are all still there of the ones that were installed pre-crash.

If that doesn't work, you might contact WD support.

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post

I'd run Windows update just to make sure they are all still there of the ones that were installed pre-crash.

If that doesn't work, you might contact WD support.
    Good catch! I guess I assume everyone downloads their updates immediately. That's the geek in me!

Ugh. Something my dad always taught me about working on cars holds true for working on computers. Start with the least expensive/easiest thing to fix first. This may sound silly, but try a different USB port. Also, if you've got another USB cable lying around, swap cables. Can't say you might not end up looking at a motherboard issue, but jeez, there's plenty of other things to try first!

I tried a different USB port. Didn't work.

rickenbacker Guest
    Have you done the Windows updates?

Have you done the Windows updates?

Yep. I hate to say it but....should I just be looking at purchasin' another 'puter with the same specs as the one I've currently got?

rickenbacker Guest
    No, I wouldn't do that just yet. Any chance you have a friend who would let you hook the drive up to their computer? That will tell us for sure if it's your computer, or the drive itself.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Yep. I hate to say it but....should I just be looking at purchasin' another 'puter with the same specs as the one I've currently got?
    I wouldn't yet...you've yet to eliminate other possibilities.

The pc I'm using right now at work is also a Dell Dimension 2400. When I ordered it I opted for the USB optical mouse but stayed with the standard keyboard which uses the old style PS2 port.

Since you've re-installed the USB drivers (I assume you mean the USB port drivers, not the drivers for your My Book), try connecting any other type of USB device...keyboard, mouse, camera, external dvd drive...anything...even if you need to borrow it from a friend...and see if a different device works. If it won't, then you know you have a USB problem, in which case I'd call Dell again (painful as that might be) if your pc is still under a service contract. If it's not under a service contract, I'd inquire at a local pc repair shop.

If another device does work fine, then I'd call WD support.

Seagorath Guest
    ARRRRGGGHHH!

rickenbacker Guest

The pc I'm using right now at work is also a Dell Dimension 2400. When I ordered it I opted for the USB optical mouse but stayed with the standard keyboard which uses the old style PS2 port.

Since you've re-installed the USB drivers (I assume you mean the USB port drivers, not the drivers for your My Book), try connecting any other type of USB device...keyboard, mouse, camera, external dvd drive...anything...even if you need to borrow it from a friend...and see if a different device works. If it won't, then you know you have a USB problem, in which case I'd call Dell again (painful as that might be) if your pc is still under a service contract. If it's not under a service contract, I'd inquire at a local pc repair shop.

DEFINITELY call WD support, either way. I'm pretty sure they aren't in Bangalore! There's still something fishy about this happening after reloading Windows.

Bidmor Guest
    Any chance you have a friend who would let you hook the drive up to their computer? That will tell us for sure if it's your computer, or the drive itself.
    Another good experiment, Ric, I hadn't thought of. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the My Book is haywire and when Tony's pc wouldn't boot, it might have been because of a problem with the My Book and that's what corrupted Windows start-up.

rickenbacker Guest
    Another good experiment, Ric, I hadn't thought of. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the My Book is haywire and when Tony's pc wouldn't boot, it might have been because of a problem with the My Book and that's what corrupted Windows start-up.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Also...it's another cheap way of figuring it out!

I just plugged in my LogiTech Quick Cam into a USB port on the back of the computer - and it recognized it just fine.

Should I go ahead and call WD Tech Support?

rickenbacker Guest
    I just plugged in my LogiTech Quick Cam into a USB port on the back of the computer - and it recognized it just fine.

Should I go ahead and call WD Tech Support?
    Yep, I think I would. Good idea, plug another device in!

Yep, I think I would. Good idea, plug another device in!
    I just called WD Tech Support. All of the tech support agents are assisting other customers.

rickenbacker Guest
    Oh, I hate that!!

Oh, I hate that!!
    Me too...guess I'll call back in the morning.

I really hope that there's some way to keep all the data on my hard drive. There's thousands of songs and bunches of video.

rickenbacker Guest
    Don't give up hope, we'll get it figured out!

Finally...the work day is done!!!

Bidmor Guest
    Me too...guess I'll call back in the morning.
    When you do, be sure to use a speaker phone because there's always a long wait.

But glad we could help some. And you're apparent haywire My Book got me thinking...here lately all but one of the systray icons won't load every time and then a few days ago I got a error window saying that not all tray icons could be loaded and sure enough, only about half were showing. I restarted and everything was ok, but just on the safe side I believe I'll disconnect my My Book until I want to back up some files, just to be on the safe side. My pc at home is a Dimension 2200 or 2400...can't recall. There might be a little problem due to the differences in the file formats of the pc hd and My Book.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 10-17-2008 at 03:43 PM.

johnH816 Guest
    I know this is a simple question but have you tried unplugging the power connector of the hard drive, wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in? This is a hard reset of the drive itself. You should be able to hear the drive. Also, does the light on the front panel of the drive light up?

Also, make sure the power adapter for the drive is plugged into a good AC outlet.

I know this is basic stuff but I was once a Tech support rep and sometimes simple things are often overlooked.
    --John
    Last edited by johnH816; 10-17-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Did you happen to have the device connected when you re-formatted Tony?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by johnH816 View Post
    I know this is a simple question but have you tried unplugging the power connector of the hard drive, wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in? This is a hard reset of the drive itself. You should be able to hear the drive. Also, does the light on the front panel of the drive light up?

Also, make sure the power adapter for the drive is plugged into a good AC outlet.

I know this is basic stuff but I was once a Tech support rep and sometimes simple things are often overlooked.
    --John
    I plugged it into another outlet (on a power strip) and it won't even light up now.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Did you happen to have the device connected when you re-formatted Tony?

Yes, I did. I was told by a computer techie friend that it wouldn't matter if the hard drive was plugged in because I wasn't reformatting this particular drive. And now the damn power supply is on the fritz!!

(Actually, I'm stupid. The power supply is apparently working just fine. It was acting like it's going bad because the drive isn't/wasn't plugged into the computer).

The drive just all of a sudden has started working again.

*cues 'Twilight Zone" music*
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 10-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.

rickenbacker Guest
    Whoa. That is some weird stuff going on there. But...it's working!!

johnH816 Guest
    Glad it's working tony!

lab_rat Guest
    Can I ask a dumb question ? Why on Earth does somebody need such a big hard drive?

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    Can I ask a dumb question ? Why on Earth does somebody need such a big hard drive?

I have a 2TB drive and I use that to store my family movies, music I've backed up and photos...aside from all the other documents we've scanned into it...

lab_rat Guest
    Got it.

newsocks Guest

i need a laptop :( SO BAD

i know this is more of a me whining post but i cant get it out of my head.

i dont have a computer (share my moms) and i need a laptop SOOO BAD!! of course to socialize with you guys and for my store, to update more often and get that going better.

i have almost no credit so no place will except me trying to finance one and i dont have the bulk amount of cash at any given time to purchase one....any advice?

any one work for dell or mac that want to hook me up? hahaha i will give you free necklaces for life!!! or a really long time! hahaha

rickenbacker Guest
    Man, I wish I could. If you needed a desktop computer, I've probably got enough parts lying around to build one!

redkatrampant Guest
    Man, I wish I could. If you needed a desktop computer, I've probably got enough parts lying around to build one!
    same here. If you could get ahold of a broken one cheap, my boy can fix it.

hlh004 Guest
    hey, my computer got sick today, got a virus by clicking on some game link. STUPID me. Argh. Anywho, its at the doctor, hopefully getting all better. Its been HELLISH the last 4 hours w/o it

newsocks Guest
    *sound of heavens hymms and horns*

newsocks Guest
    guh virus SUCK! one of the many reasons i want a mac now.

i have been a PC girl for a LONG time but decided to bite the bullet and dream of a mac life.