Birthplace: New York City
    Died: 1-Jul-2005
    Location of death: Edison, NJ
    Cause of death: Stroke

Race or Ethnicity: Black
    Sexual orientation: Matter of Dispute
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: R&B Singer, Never Too Much
    Born in Brooklyn to a family with a strong tradition of gospel and soul singing, Luther Ronzoni Vandross was immersed in a musical environment from the beginning days of his life. By the time of his high school years he had formed his own soul group, and afterwards participated in Listen My Brother, a music workshop created by a booking agent for the Apollo Theater also including Carlos Alomar (who would later establish himself as a guitarist for David Bowie) and future members of the band Chic. Through the workshop, the aspiring musicians were provided an opportunity to perform at the Apollo as an opening act for better-known artists.
    In the 1970s Vandross took a short hiatus from the music industry, but was brought back into action by an invitation from his former bandmate Carlos Alomar. By this time Alomar had already hooked up with Bowie, who was beginning work on his Philly soul-inspired album Young Americans; Bowie, impressed with Vandross' talents, enlisted him as an arranger and performer for the album's backing vocals, and afterwards took him on as an opening act for the associated tour. The tour's exposure subsequently led to session work for other artists (such as Chaka Khan, Donna Summer, and Ringo Starr), which in turn resulted in a contract as a solo performer on Cotillion Records. The singer released two albums through the label in 1976 - Luther and Close To You - but neither fared particularly well, being mired in the disco trends of the time. Temporarily deterred from his solo career by this setback, Vandross returned to session work for the remainder of the decade.
    As the 1980s approached, Vandross' primary means of income had become the composition and performance of advertising jingles for television. Recording work for Quincy Jones, Sister Sledge and others kept his industry reputation alive, and a contribution to the Broadway musical and film The Wiz - an all-black, R&B adaptation of The Wizard Of Oz - helped to establish him once again in the public consciousness. With the band Change he recorded the album The Glow Of Love (1980), which resulted in two top 20 songs in the British R&B charts. A second shot at a solo career was then made through Epic and the 1981 release Never too Much, an album that emphasized a romantic style better suited to his voice than the earlier disco material; the single of the title track quickly reached the #1 slot on the R&B charts, and the album itself would eventually earn double platinum sales status.
    Throughout the 1980s Luther Vandross continued to further his popularity - crossing over into the pop charts, establishing a parallel career as a producer, and releasing a series of popular duets with other artists (If This World Were Mine with Cheryl Lynn, How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye with Dionne Warwick, and There's Nothing Better Than Love with Gregory Hines). In the 1990s the singer's catalogue of charting duets continued with Janet Jackson (The Best Things In Life Are Free (1992)) and Mariah Carey (a remake of Endless Love (1994)), but by the mid-90s the singer's all-important sales figures had begun to wane. A move from Epic to EMI was quickly followed by another move to J Records, resulting first in 2001's Luther Vandross and then in the album that returned him to the top of the charts, Dance With My Father (2003). Just prior to this renewed popularity, however, the singer suffered a severe stroke that kept him hospitalized for two months.

Father: Luther Vandross, Sr. (d., diabetes)
    Mother: Mary Vandross

Reecy Guest

Unhappy

Luther's death hit me really hard. He was sick for many years before he died and I was always praying for him to get better. Sadly he died anyway. He is missed.

3. 11-13-2007, 04:56 PM

poppie Guest
    This is another gay man who was very discreet. He is in the same class with Johnny Mathis, altho their music and singing styles were so different. You never heard anything bad about him or Johnny. I saw him on Oprah one time and she began to broached the gossip about gay. Luther cut her off in a very nice, non-combative way. IMO, Oprah knew he was gay!! I often wondered what that was about. Hard to say where his career would have gone besides sky high. Very talent young man.

He did pretty good singing back-up on David Bowie's album, "Young Americans" also.

Kathyf Guest
    He was really a great singer. I felt so bad when I heard about it.

Oh, that was horrible. I miss you, honey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

luther stole the show on bowies young americans tour.

mommafreak Guest
    Been playing his cd's alot lately. Miss him.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    when he had his stroke and ended up in a wheelchair I felt so bad. he was one HELL of a singer. I LOVED him on Bowie's Young Americans album. leave it to Bowie to turn me onto Luther Vandross, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tony Thompson (CHIC) and Iggy Pop. but yeah, such a shame Luther died so young. but the music lives on.

RoRo Guest
    Loved this man and was lucky enough to see him live many years ago...Dance With My Father always brings me to tears

mstee2u1972 Guest
    I love Luther Forever, For Always, For Love!!!
    (Big Sigh) He is the ultimate male R&B singer of his generation...when he died there was a lot of debate on who would be "the next Luther". To me, there are no successors to his throne.
    If you have the chance, please listen to his Christmas album "This Is Christmas"...priceless! The entire cd is wonderful, but my favorite songs have to be "Every Year, Every Christmas" and his rendition of "O Come All Ye Faithful". Everytime he hits those notes I get goosebumps! Also, check out Chaka Khan's song "Papillon a.k.a. Hot Butterfly" -Luther sings backup and you can hear him really strong. Always loved the song but never realized until a couple of years ago that he was singing backup-amazing!

Jazbabee Guest
    After his stroke, Oprh did a segment with him from a nursing facility......I found it incredibly hard to watch such a vibrant person, struggling with basic movements and speech......it was horrible

deathybrad Guest
    I had no idea his sexuality was a "matter of dispute".

Jazbabee Guest
    I didnt think it was a matter of dispute either, I thought it was just a given

GODDESS6 Guest
    a truly beautiful voice, i remember exactly what i was doing when i heard of his passing~

RigorMortis Guest
    Luthers voice is fabulous to make love to. A real R&B soulful voice.

sheri Guest
    I was lucky enough to see him years ago in Los Angeles sharing top billing with Anita Baker. talk about lots of sparkly glittery outfits between those 2. Seemed like they kept trying to see who could outdo the other in the sparkle glitter outfit factor. Didn't need binoculars to see them, not even from nosebleed country. I miss the guy.

Life Is Death Guest

An Amazing Singer..

I grew up listening to Luther Vandross, even though the household was very religious. We'll see you someday on the otherside, buddy...

lisalouver Guest
    Gosh, what a loss.

I remember the day I heard. I had just hoped and prayed so hard that he would get well.

Everytime I hear Dance with my Father, I cry. What a song. It's on my ipod.

He is with his Dad now, RIP Luther, we really miss you.

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    After his stroke, Oprh did a segment with him from a nursing facility......I found it incredibly hard to watch such a vibrant person, struggling with basic movements and speech......it was horrible
    Do you have a link to that interview? Is it online at all do you know? I wouldn't mind seeing that

harlequin_clown Guest
    His poor mother lost every one of her children to diabetes complications. She outlived them, and her husband. That takes STRENGTH

Reecy Guest
    Oh how sad.......... I didn't know all her children died.

I didn't know his middle name was Ronzoni.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin_clown View Post
    His poor mother lost every one of her children to diabetes complications. She outlived them, and her husband. That takes STRENGTH

I didn't know that!!! It does make sense...Luther was a force in the Soul world...to me he was right up there w/ Barry...yep I said it. I mean Barry was sexy but Luther was LOVE

here's an article that OUT magazine did on Luther, shortly after his death:

http://www.out.com/detail.asp?t=voices&id=17089

I remember he got that stroke about the same time my father did. It is a horrible thing to happen to a person. RIP Luther.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

jojax Guest
    Luther was great...when I hear him sing it brings tears to my eyes.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Gosh, what a loss.

I remember the day I heard. I had just hoped and prayed so hard that he would get well.

Everytime I hear Dance with my Father, I cry. What a song. It's on my ipod.

He is with his Dad now, RIP Luther, we really miss you.
    Same here! Whenever I hear Dance with my Father I think of my Dad and how we would dance together at weddings and stuff when I was a little girl..made me feel special..miss him and my Dad.

**Jenna** Guest
    He had a pretty voice.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Luther's death was hard on me also...I cried and cried. Such a talent silenced. I never got to see him in concert and I so regret it. I have his cd's to listen to thankfully and as long as I have them he will live on...I especially like his christmas CD with a christmas heart.

RIP Luther...I also feel for his mother...so sad no mother should bury a child in my book and she buried all of hers and her husband...I don't know where she gets her strength

Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    Luther's death was hard on me also...I cried and cried. Such a talent silenced. I never got to see him in concert and I so regret it. I have his cd's to listen to thankfully and as long as I have them he will live on...I especially like his christmas CD with a christmas heart.

RIP Luther...I also feel for his mother...so sad no mother should bury a child in my book and she buried all of hers and her husband...I don't know where she gets her strength
    She's with them all now. She recently passed away...

burgtwngrl Guest
    I bet she died of a broken heart

burgtwngrl Guest
    I'm sure there is a party going on in Heaven!

Mary Ida Vandross, Mother of Luther Vandross, Passes

By GreasyGuide on Apr 10, 2008 in Greasy News
    From the news wire:
    Mary Ida Vandross, mother of the late superstar Luther Vandross, passed away after being in a coma for more than a month.
    Mary Vandross, 82, was the last surviving family member in the immediate Vandross family having lost her husband, all four of her children and only grandson to either strokes or diabetes.
    up until she took ill, Mrs. Vandross traveled all over sharing her message of love, prevailing faith and the power to end stroke and Diabetes. Luther, died of complications from stroke in 2005 at the age of 54. Our heartfelt condolences go out to the relatives of the Vandross family. We have no doubt that there’s dancing and singing going on at this wonderful family reunion up above.

Sharmika Guest
    GOD, I remember that... The only thing that stopped me from crying while watching it was when he began to sing. He sounded exactly the same, and it gave me hope that he'd bounce back 100% from the stroke.

Alas...

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharmika View Post
    GOD, I remember that... The only thing that stopped me from crying while watching it was when he began to sing. He sounded exactly the same, and it gave me hope that he'd bounce back 100% from the stroke.

Alas...
    I never had a link to that clip......perhaps it is on the Oprah website or Youtube ??

Sharmika Guest
    I never had a link to that clip......perhaps it is on the Oprah website or Youtube ??
    Looking for it now. Will keep you posted!

TVG75 Guest

does anybody have luther vandross on the first arsenio hall episode full ep ?

hi does anybody have the whole arsenio hall first episode with luther vandross ? write eferrucci@aol.com

Not amazing quality but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzFwullC3Y http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTreChne5g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1YUmzi8UMo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CayBNVU6eKw and a video of Luther on Arsenio's last show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zif_OhbtA

Mammy Guest
    Luther had one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. I like to get on YouTube from time to time just to see and hear him sing. His voice was just amazing and it is so sad that he is gone now. I think "Here and Now" is my favorite song of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Luther had one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. I like to get on YouTube from time to time just to see and hear him sing. His voice was just amazing and it is so sad that he is gone now. I think "Here and Now" is my favorite song of his.
    Dance with my Father is my favorite Luther song. I always cry when I hear it.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

ChefCookChemist Guest
    Luther's This Is Christmas album still gets heavy play around the holidays in my home and always will.

I only knew his records from the 80's, and the songs still played on the Sirius/XM Contemporary Gospel station ("Praise" - best channel ever). You know you have the reputation when all you have to say is "Luther" and everyone knows who you mean. 54 was too young to pass away, too.
    But the things I did not know about Luther! Until reading this thread! Here's a summary...
    Middle name Ronzoni; worked with David Bowie and Ringo Starr; was gay (sorry, don't know what rock I was living beneath); was in the movie "The Wiz" (what character was he?). I'm thankful he didn't quit after his two 1976 albums. A great talent, still missed. RIP.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Loved me some Lutha!!! I am surprised we have never seen any casket pics of him...
    My Posse's On Broadway

You know - I just did a search on Amazon, but I am surprised there are no REAL books written about him. I saw ONE, but that was even before he died.

Also while searching I found that it was a "rumor" that he really died of AIDS... At first I thought no way, but the more I think about it you never know... I mean he was never "outted" and his image was always #1 to him. How bad would that tarnish "his fans" for him not only come out of the closet, but to be a victim of AIDS as well? I loved Luther regardless, but he was MIA for two years before he died, makes you wonder - well me anyway.

Still so sad what his Mama had to go through - burying everyone around her!!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

cameralady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Also while searching I found that it was a "rumor" that he really died of AIDS... At first I thought no way, but the more I think about it you never know...
    I'll believe it when I see "HIV" listed on the death certificate (a la Robert Reed*).

I was really hoping that Luther would come back from the stroke like Dick Clark (Dick Clark was never really the same after his stroke but at least he tried to come back). If Luther was a diabetic (or a "divabetic as Patti LaBelle would say) that obviously complicated things.

I remember seeing a photo with him and his beloved nephews that accompanied an article in one of the black magazines (Essence? Ebony? Jet?) He supposedly doted on them. I guess that means the parent of his nephews is now gone too? Sad.

I've come to realize by reading in between the lines that Luther was probably gay. I didn't care. However, I bet there would have been quite a few people in the community who would have cared had he come out.

*Ok, so Robert Reed supposedly didn't die of AIDS, but it was a shock to me when he died that it came out that he was gay and had HIV.

Divabetic. Heh!
    Wondering the same about certain circles being potentially unreceptive to his being gay. Not sure how the contemporary gospel scene would react. But I remember some Christian radio stations announcing that they were pulling Amy Grant's music due to her divorce. Not equaling Luther with Amy Grant, just making a possible parallel regarding the industry.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Mammy Guest
    I don't think Amy's divorce was so much the issue as her and Vince being married to other people when they first got together. Those religious folks get pissy about public adultery.

49. 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM

cameralady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I don't think Amy's divorce was so much the issue as her and Vince being married to other people when they first got together. Those religious folks get pissy about public adultery.
    Yeah, the irony of the lyrics of Amy's duet with Vince Gill "House of Love" is not lost on me:
    Well I'll bet you any amount of money
    He'll be coming back to you
    Ooh I know there ain't no doubt about it
    Sometimes life is funny
    You think you're in your darkest hour
    When the lights are coming on in the house of love
    I wonder what Vince's ex has to say about that.

I saw Amy recently on a special about her custom tour bus. Apparently Vince's daughter from his first marriage goes on tour with Amy as a backup singer, so I guess that's water under the bridge. [/threadjack]

Back to Luther...have there been that many black entertainers who were out? He could have remained not out, asexual publicly, whatever...I just wish he didn't make videos like this. Garcelle is gorgeous but there is about as much chemistry here as there was between Michael Jackson and Iman in the "Remember the Time" video.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Divabetic. Heh!
    I think Patti LaBelle lost several members of her immediate family (including her mother) to diabetes like Luther did. Patti has it and she wears it like a banner. She is beating the odds. Again, I wish Luther had.

Had he and Patti ever done a duet?

LOL!! OMG - that video!!! You are sooooo right - NO Chemistry... His flowery pants scream GAY!!!

I can't believe I missed this R Kelly type Luther song... Luther looked good though - that was 2001 right?

Does anyone know if he was heavy or skinny when he had his first stroke?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    You know - I just did a search on Amazon, but I am surprised there are no REAL books written about him. I saw ONE, but that was even before he died.

Also while searching I found that it was a "rumor" that he really died of AIDS... At first I thought no way, but the more I think about it you never know... I mean he was never "outted" and his image was always #1 to him. How bad would that tarnish "his fans" for him not only come out of the closet, but to be a victim of AIDS as well? I loved Luther regardless, but he was MIA for two years before he died, makes you wonder - well me anyway.

Still so sad what his Mama had to go through - burying everyone around her!!!
    Naw, I think the AIDS thing is just a rumor, I never heard it until I came here. From what I did hear, he had suffered for years from high blood pressure and diabetes which eventually led to his stroke, and then his death. What a wonderful talent he was! I just can't fathom a mother losing all her children, can't comprehend it. Now, like most of us who have visited this page, I am off to youtube as well...