Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Hughes

Perdi Guest
    I did indeed see that, ST's. I thought it was so lovely, and not something I recall seeing before following the passing of a Director. Just goes to show it isn't just us that recognised how special John was.

I totally agree with you re the current generation. I was too young for John's films such as Breakfast Club et al when they came out, but watched them probably 5 years or so after the event, when they were still recent and vivid and pertinent. Thing is, the core and the values of his movies will never changed, so young people will always be able to relate to them. They will, as he will, live forever.
    Last edited by Perdi; 03-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    I did indeed see that, ST's. I thought it was so lovely, and not something I recall seeing before following the passing of a Director. Just goes to show it isn't just us that recognised how special John was.

I totally agree with you re the current generation. I was too young for John's films such as Breakfast Club et al when they came out, but watched them probably 5 years or so after the event, when they were still recent and vivid and pertinent. Thing is, the core and the values of his movies will never changed, so young people will always be able to relate to them. They will, as he will, live forever.
    Great perspective on it Perdi. It is interesting that as a young person you could still relate to his work. I was too old for his movies but still enjoyed them a great deal.
    Regards,
    Mary

STORMIE Guest

Not sure what to make of this but found it interesting:

Rumor: Paramount/Roth Films Developing John Hughes?? Unproduced Screenplay Grisby??s Go Broke?

Posted on Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 by Peter Sciretta

In Vanity Fair??s profile of the late writer/director John Hughes, it was revealed Hughes didn??t stop writing after leaving Hollywood in 1994. His sons found boxes of writings, more than 300 pocket notebooks, thick binders containing works in progress, and tons of computer files, including screenplays. Hughes also had a lot of screenplays that he sold but remain unproduced (I wrote about one of them here). I wondered at the time if any of these screenplays would ever end up on the big screen.
    Word has been circling the tracking boards that Paramount Pictures has acquired Grisby??s Go Broke, a family comedy written by the late filmmaker. More details after the jump.

The story revolves around a ??wealthy, yet dysfunctional suburban Chicago family? who lose all of their wealth because of bad investments and a bad economy (how timely?) and are forced ??to move to the sticks losing their friends, all of the while becoming closer to one another.? The tone is said to be similar to Modern Family.I can??t seem to find out any more information about the unproduced screenplay. In fact, a google search of the screenplay??s title results with 0 entries, which is hard to get nowadays. If anyone has any more information, please e-mail me.
    Rumor has it that Roth Films would be producing the project, and would be looking for a writer/director to rewrite Hughes script. But please, don??t rewrite too much of it ?? modernize the out of date references, locations, technology, but leave the rest alone. Past Hughest scripts have been completely rewritten and turned out horrible - for example, Drillbit Taylor (which Hughes even got story credit for under his pseudonym Edmond Dantes).

Hughes is best known for writing and/or directing some of our favorite films from the 1980??s - National Lampoon??s Vacation, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, European Vacation, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller??s Day Off, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Christmas Vacation, and Home Alone.
    For now please just consider this a rumor. I have attempted to confirm this report with Roth Films and Joe Roth??s publicist, but have been unable to get a response.

candleinthewind Guest
    John Hughes films mean a lot to me. I grew up in the 80's and saw these movies in the theater when they came out. The Brat Pack were my age and were the cool teenagers and I have watched them grow into their 20's and beyond.

In the movie theater, the entire audience groaned at Molly Ringwald's prom dress in Pretty in Pink. Man it is ugly.

James Spader was really, really, really hot in the 80's.

Ferris Bueller is the coolest character ever.

My children enjoy Home Alone.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Nice tribute to Hughes at the Academy Awards last night. Good to see Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, and several others on the show. What the hell happened to Judd Nelson? I didn't even recognize him....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matthew-Broderick-Macauley-Culkin-Ally-Sheedy-Molly-Ringwald-Judd-Nelson-Jon-Cryer-and-Anthony-M.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	27687
    Jeez is Molly Ringwald playing Xena in an upcoming role or soething? She looks huge - way bigger and taller than anybody else up there -and whats with the bracelet?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Nice tribute at the Oscars last night...
    and as I watched it, I realized that Macaulay Culkin still looks like he's 9 years old.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

Name:	Matthew-Broderick-Macauley-Culkin-Ally-Sheedy-Molly-Ringwald-Judd-Nelson-Jon-Cryer-and-Anthony-M.jpg 
    Jeez is Molly Ringwald playing Xena in an upcoming role or soething? She looks huge - way bigger and taller than anybody else up there -and whats with the bracelet?
    Molly Ringwald IS Gigantor the Space-Age Robot...

Loved the tribute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    James Spader was really, really, really hot in the 80's.
    I guess James Spader's hotness was completely lost on me. I always thought he was snotty looking...a major douchebag. Now, Andrew McCarthy...Sweet, sweet Andrew. That's where it was at for me in the 80's.

dcg76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    I guess James Spader's hotness was completely lost on me. I always thought he was snotty looking...a major douchebag. Now, Andrew McCarthy...Sweet, sweet Andrew. That's where it was at for me in the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35tfXSINbCQ

'Cause James Spader was good at playin' a douche, with great writing by Hughes.
    Last edited by dcg76; 03-09-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

Is that Anthony Hall on the right end there! Whoa.....he looks good!

Hoodoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Is that Anthony Hall on the right end there! Whoa.....he looks good!
    I was thinking how old they all looked, then I spotted Anthony Michael Hall and I couldn't believe how great he looked! The years have been really kind to him!

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post

I agree with you. Always thought Andrew McCarthy was just so good looking. Just loved him!

OH man Andrew McCarthy.....(sigh)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

GrinReaper Guest
    And what happened to that one kid Ferris?
    Matthew Broderick?
    Last I heard he rode away on a horse-faced something....

GrinReaper Guest
    Watched PT&A the other night.
    Much better the second time.
    "Those aren't pillows!"

Just how in the world did John Hughes create situations and characters and movies that everyone could relate to and like and love?

Molly Ringwold Slams Hughes Movies that Made Her Famous

I just heard Molly Ringwold discuss Hughes' movies in an NPR interview. She stated, "I think the way women were portrayed in them was wrong, including the much-loved Breakfast Club, but I was not the filmmaker."

What? I'm sorry, Princess Brat Packness, but that makes no sense. Way to slam someone who can't defend himself. What's next? Will you be speaking out against Reefer Madness or Freaks?

I didn't hear the NPR interview, but I did read the article she wrote for The New Yorker. I thought a lot of her criticisms of Hughes were very valid, although she does come across as being a bit full of herself.

But if talking shit about dead people is off limits, it could spell the end of these forums!
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Molly Ringwold Slams Hughes Movies that Made Her Famous

I just heard Molly Ringwold discuss Hughes' movies in an NPR interview. She stated, "I think the way women were portrayed in them was wrong, including the much-loved Breakfast Club, but I was not the filmmaker."

What? I'm sorry, Princess Brat Packness, but that makes no sense. Way to slam someone who can't defend himself. What's next? Will you be speaking out against Reefer Madness or Freaks?
    I remember she had some nice things to say about him
    at his tribute on the 2010 Academy Awards.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    I didn't hear the NPR interview, but I did read the article she wrote for The New Yorker. I thought a lot of her criticisms of Hughes were very valid, although she does come across as being a bit full of herself.

But if talking shit about dead people is off limits, it could spell the end of these forums!
    Her interview had nothing to do with the forum. It would've been nice if she'd given a shout out to Scott though.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Her interview had nothing to do with the forum. It would've been nice if she'd given a shout out to Scott though.
    I didn't say it did. I just found it ironic to say "way to slam someone who can't defend himself" on a forum where slamming dead people is 90% of what happens. To put it another way, if *I* had a problem with people "speaking ill of the dead," I wouldn't be here.
    Last edited by Upset; 10-28-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset