Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong-way driver causes 8 deaths in New York. Diane Schuler

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I don't have HBO so I can't watch the docu - ARGH!

Anyone know of anywhere I can watch it online? I checked the site where I usually go to download TV shows and movies and they don't have it.
    Of course when I became obsessed with proving the whole "delirium" thing, I tried to find it online to do a screen capture, but there are only parts of it on Youtube. You can watch about thirty minutes of it in chunks on Youtube and on HBO online combined. Good luck. It is haunting. It has changed my life.

@Ramona: Just another example of how easily you miss material. 1. you missed the 10 minute discussion about how her infection could have impacted her health and lead to delirium in the HBO Documentary after watching it twice is amazing. But you did.

2. I attached an article about acute or florid infections after you stated you didn't know what one was, so I thought I'd help educate, not upset, you. You stated that the article had nothing to do with the case. Of course it didn't. It was an analogy. The infection was a tooth infection LIKE DIANE'S, that lead to a near death experience. An acute infection.

3. I brought up MRSA as a TYPE of a florid or accute infection. Oh good Lord in heaven! You just took to that like a fish in water. You couldn't not stop talking about MRSA, MRSA, MRSA. I was the fool who bit. I only brought it up as a type of an infection. There are thousands of accute infections! Please tell me you at least know that. Now, if you look at the autopsy "whoot whoot" you will see that there was "affected brain material". That means that it is inconclusive as to whether or not her brain matter was impacted by an infection. Once again, there would be no documentary, no case, no controversy, no forensic psychaitrist discussing, no psychologist discussing it, no investigator if there was no controversy. The controversy stems in part from the fact that there was a medical inconsistency in the autopsy which has been available to us on FAD for two years "whoot whoot". It just wasn't posted!

Dr. Spitzer states in the HBO Documentary that the reason all of this doesn't matter is because alcohol and drugs will always trump everything else. You see, that's why in the end I agree with the conclusion. I also think there are things along the way that are interesting and frankly kind of creepy and worth discussing. But you truly need to analyze the material at the very miniumum, a little better.

I apologize to the rest of you. I truly do. However, with all of these little digs, I don't intend to just lie down and take it like a child. I just noticed the three other ones and the "whoot whoot" comment, and felt I needed to address them. At this point if the mods need to get involved, that's fine. Otherwise, I can stand up for myself, but if you continue to make this about something other than the case by calling me names or saying stupid things like "whoot whoot" I'll continue to stick up for myself.
    Last edited by qulevergrrl; 08-12-2011 at 01:16 AM.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Watching it again. I know this may seem confusing to some, but I do think that Danny is in denial. I just think that we need to look at the big picture. But here is something that has always bugged me:

"Did she smoke marijuana?"

Danny: "No! Never!"
    Then that changes to Danny: "On occasion, but not that weekend. Denfinitely not that weekend."
    Jay Schuler: "I think she used it to sleep"

Well couldn't that have been nightly then?

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    My antivirus doesn't like that site, says it blocked a Trojan horse.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    My antivirus doesn't like that site, says it blocked a Trojan horse.
    Try the suggestion I made of going onto Youtube and watching it in pieces. While you don't get to see it in its entirety, you do get a large portion. Also, you may get to buy it from Netflix Red or whatever that service is. Or rent it from them. Good luck!

5. 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    I know I am going straight to hell but I can't be the only one who thinks that name should have been changed at Ellis Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    lol... unfortunately, i think they have to sue the Hances because they were the owners of the vehicle... or so it seems.
    I really just wanted an excuse to say "Those Poor Bastardi's" haven't really been following all the lawsuits and such.

pvezz Guest
    I was able to find it online last night and downloaded it; PM me if you want the link -

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I really just wanted an excuse to say "Those Poor Bastardi's" haven't really been following all the lawsuits and such.
    We're glad you did!

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    We're glad you did!
    I'm beginning to pick up on your sarcasm.

Bastardis.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I'm beginning to pick up on your sarcasm.
    Not this time. I like Bastardi.

qulevergrrl Guest
    You know I've always been into your truly tasteless humor. As sick as the whole Poor Bastardis joke is, my husband and I couldn't stop laughing our a**es off when we read it. touche'.

Does anyone have anything new? I haven't kept up on what Danny is doing now. I just became shall we say OBSESSED when the show came out. I don't see a whole lot new on the thread, so if anyone has seen anything in the news, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Klopek Guest
    Watched the Documentary last night (Verizon Fios, On demand). My wife watched this with me and we both came to the same conclusion which is a rarity. Daniel Schuler is full of shit!
    The hiring of a professional shitslinger like Dominick Barbara is the first indication that you're in trouble (joey butafuocco). Not to impugne the work of Mr. Barbara, He takes on the toughest and is a very successful attorney.
    Barbara had tried to imply that the toxicology report was skewed because Diane Schuler's blood had been cooked in the fire and alchohol had formed because blood sugar when heated will produce alcohol-- We could clearly see in the photos that very little of Diane's body was actually burned. The heart had stopped before the fire so very little of her blood would have been contaminated. Did he think these professionals drew any fluids from that area? I don't believe Barbara truly believed that himself.
    The Hance family has cleary taken an anti Schuler position and who better to think Danny's a liar than the people that know him better than any of us do?
    Danny's story kept changing and when he was on Larry King, Larry point blanked the question of the Vodka. Danny then tells Larry that "yeah, we'd keep the vodka in the camper ..." at this point Danny's sister in law chimes in " Yeah, for making Pina Coladas". I don't know what kind of Pina Coladas they make but mine don't have Vodka.

Most of the times when Danny was asked a question, he'd look away or to the left, That is the biggest tell of a liar.

Now, I feel bad for every single person attached to this tradgedy including Danny. I don't think he should be held accountable for anything but the truth. I don't believe Diane Schuler was drunk or high until after she left the gas station but don't try to hide the fact that she casually drinks or smokes. A lot of people enjoy drinks responsibly including myself but theres a time and a place.

The rest of the Documentary basicly shows Danny trying to come up with theories while everyone else has already distanced themselves from him and have sided with the evidence itself. Although The Schulers are the ones behind the making of this documentary, It actually left me with a more negative impression of Danny than if I'd not seen it at all, especially the alienation toward his son Brian.

Mammy Guest
    Klopek, I agree with every single word you said. I thought that maybe the documentary would change my opinion on some things. The only thing that it changed for me was in regard to Danny. He is an even bigger asshole than I already thought he was and I didn't think that was possible. He should be grateful that his little boy survived that horrible crash. Instead, he is angry at Diane for leaving him to be a single parent when he never wanted children to begin with. He never mentions Erin and seems to resent Bryan because he survived. I think Bryan spends the majority of his time with Jay and I am glad for that. She seems to really love him and care about his well being. I hope he doesn't sense how his father feels about him. It is really sad that Danny feels like that toward Bryan. Danny can try to deny reality all he wants to, but Diane was extremely drunk and high at the time of the accident. He can make all the excuses he can think of and look even more stupid and heartless, but it won't change a thing.

Klopek Guest
    Thanks Mammy. If anything, The documentary should not have been made at all especially if it could not offer a plausible scenario.

Mammy Guest
    Danny didn't do his image any favors on that documentary, or Diane's image either for that matter. I read an online article (don't remember where) that Danny got $100,000 for the documentary. I imagine that cash was more of a motivator than repairing anyone's reputation. IMO

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    Danny didn't do his image any favors on that documentary, or Diane's image either for that matter. I read an online article (don't remember where) that Danny got $100,000 for the documentary. I imagine that cash was more of a motivator than repairing anyone's reputation. IMO
    I didn't know that, now my impression of him just got lower-if that's possible.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    Thanks Mammy. If anything, The documentary should not have been made at all especially if it could not offer a plausible scenario.
    yeah, they really should have waited to finish it a few more years... the story isn't over yet... it was timed to coincide with the 2nd anniversary of the accident and the lawsuit against the State and the Hances... wonder if it was part of a strategy to try to win over public opinion. it had the opposite effect on me!

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    yeah, they really should have waited to finish it a few more years... the story isn't over yet... it was timed to coincide with the 2nd anniversary of the accident and the lawsuit against the State and the Hances... wonder if it was part of a strategy to try to win over public opinion. it had the opposite effect on me!
    I'm sorry, did you mean the ESTATE and the SCHULERS? why would the state or the Hances be sued? You must mean the Schulers, no?

qulevergrrl Guest
    That's agregious (you can check my spelling on that, see the spell checker above won't load on my laptop)! Anyway, I've always gone by the principle of benevolance. You first believe people, then you let them screw themselves. Well, that's it! The money. How infuriating is it that there are forums like this, people like me, and websites all over the world defending the actions of him and his wife when he actually took money for this thing. O.k., now I'm pissed. I still think an infection can make you go bonkers, but I think these people are liars, but I said that the alcohol was the main presenter from the beginning. He's a piece of work.

qulevergrrl Guest
    And oh yeah, I get the impression that if Aunt Diane was their full-time nanny, the Hances couldn't afford to hire one. What kind of estate of any worth do they have to sue. While it may not seem like anyone could go after the Hances, you'd be surprised at what a good sleazy lawyer can do to collect on a judgment. Then there's the Pina Colada comment. Yeah...gross. No pina colada I've ever heard of is made with Vodka. Now this is getting fun. This is the kinda stuff I wish I'd have talked about earlier. I just needed to clean my plate. >>>>Mellissa licks fingers and smacks lips.

Klopek Guest
    OMG , will you people get the names right?

The Hance family is the family that lost three daughters. The daughters were vacationing with the Schulers, Diane Schuler's maiden name is Hance, It was her neices and her own children is the van, Diane's son was the only survivor. The hance family were the victims, so why would they be sued? and by whom. Btw, the Hances live in my town :Floral Park, an Incorporated Village in Nassau County N.Y. To buy a decent house here you need about a half million dollars and then pay about 9K in taxes per year. Diane Shuler was family not day care, Diane Schuler was not a nanny either, she made $100k at her own job, this was just one family allowing sister/sister in law to bring the kids camping and return them safely.

stacebabe Guest
    From what I understand, the Bastardi's suing the Hance's is a formality because they owned the car. I do not think the Bastardi's intent is to cause more grief to the Hance's.

With that said, if I knew another innocent person had lost 3 children in the same accident, and were as much victims as I was, I probably would drop the lawsuit as soon as I knew they'd have to be named.

Mammy Guest
    The Hances didn't sue Danny until they received notice that he was suing them. I think they are doing it to protect themselves. They probably had more to lose than Danny who barely has a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out of now that Diane is gone and not taking care of him anymore. He is nothing more than a selfish, money grubber who is looking for a payday. I really intensely dislike him since watching the documentary, especially his attitude toward little Bryan. I can't imagine what Diane saw in him and can imagine that she used alcohol and drugs due to depression and having to put up with Danny. He left everything on her shoulders, especially bringing home the majority of the income and taking care of the children that he now points out he never wanted in the first place. They worked opposite shifts and he saw very little of Diane or the children. He had it made while she was alive. I think it is disgusting that he accepted so much money for the documentary, but not at all surprising. It is hard to imagine why Diane made the choices that she did on the day she died and killed seven other people and there are no excuses good enough to explain it. Still, I can't help but to feel some compassion for the fact that she seemed to not have had a happy childhood and wanted to grow up and have her own family and make everything perfect. Her perfectionism had to have been exhausting, but I think she did it to prove to herself and others that she was better than her mom. I also think she was doing most everything on her own because Danny was more like another child than a husband. He should be ashamed of himself then and now, but he seems to me to be the kind of person that blames everything on other people and never takes responsibility for anything. Even his SIL sounded fed up with him. This is just a sad story all the way around and I am having trouble letting it go.

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    From what I understand, the Bastardi's suing the Hance's is a formality because they owned the car. I do not think the Bastardi's intent is to cause more grief to the Hance's.

With that said, if I knew another innocent person had lost 3 children in the same accident, and were as much victims as I was, I probably would drop the lawsuit as soon as I knew they'd have to be named.
    Thanks for the insight on the formality. I was thinking that the minivan was just considered an instrument but the way our f--d up justice system works, i'm not surprised they'd go the long way.

Klopek Guest
    The Hances didn't sue Danny until they received notice that he was suing them. I think they are doing it to protect themselves. They probably had more to lose than Danny who barely has a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out of now that Diane is gone and not taking care of him anymore. He is nothing more than a selfish, money grubber who is looking for a payday. I really intensely dislike him since watching the documentary, especially his attitude toward little Bryan. I can't imagine what Diane saw in him and can imagine that she used alcohol and drugs due to depression and having to put up with Danny. He left everything on her shoulders, especially bringing home the majority of the income and taking care of the children that he now points out he never wanted in the first place. They worked opposite shifts and he saw very little of Diane or the children. He had it made while she was alive. I think it is disgusting that he accepted so much money for the documentary, but not at all surprising. It is hard to imagine why Diane made the choices that she did on the day she died and killed seven other people and there are no excuses good enough to explain it. Still, I can't help but to feel some compassion for the fact that she seemed to not have had a happy childhood and wanted to grow up and have her own family and make everything perfect. Her perfectionism had to have been exhausting, but I think she did it to prove to herself and others that she was better than her mom. I also think she was doing most everything on her own because Danny was more like another child than a husband. He should be ashamed of himself then and now, but he seems to me to be the kind of person that blames everything on other people and never takes responsibility for anything. Even his SIL sounded fed up with him. This is just a sad story all the way around and I am having trouble letting it go.
    We think alike, My wife has been saying everything that you've said -it's uncanny. She says" The husband "Danny" must have been a control freak" and that Brian (the survivor) will eventually see this documentary when he is older and hear his own father say that he didn't want children--messed up dad.

stacebabe Guest
    As someone pointed out earlier, if Danny had just said, "Oh my god. This is so out of character for her, I have NO IDEA why she did this" and apologized to the families involved, I bet he'd have even been able to make MORE money than he has from the documentary, just in donations for Bryan.

Mammy Guest
    I feel the sorriest for Bryan out of anyone. I had the same reaction, that one day he will see this documentary and know that his dad didn't want children and resents having to raise him. What Diane did was horrible and there is no excuse for it, but I think she loved her children and took good care of them. I just can't figure out why she would smoke pot and drink to such an excess with her children and nieces in the van. There will never be an answer to that. I could almost believe that she was suicidal, but I don't think she would intentionally kill five young children.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    me too

We think alike, My wife has been saying everything that you've said -it's uncanny. She says" The husband "Danny" must have been a control freak" and that Brian (the survivor) will eventually see this documentary when he is older and hear his own father say that he didn't want children--messed up dad.
    Really? I think the opposite. i don't think he's a control freak. I get the impression he's a loafer.

The Hance family is the family that lost three daughters. The daughters were vacationing with the Schulers, Diane Schuler's maiden name is Hance, It was her neices and her own children is the van, Diane's son was the only survivor. The hance family were the victims, so why would they be sued?
    DANIEL SCHULER is suing the STATE of NEW YORK and WARREN HANCE. He is suing the STATE of NEW YORK because he blames them for the allegedly poor construction of the highway. He is suing WARREN HANCE because he was the registered owner of the vehicle that DIANCE SCHULER was driving. Naming WARREN HANCE in the suit is a legal issue because of New York law.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...conic-parkway/

qulevergrrl Guest

The Hance family is the family that lost three daughters. The daughters were vacationing with the Schulers, Diane Schuler's maiden name is Hance, It was her neices and her own children is the van, Diane's son was the only survivor. The hance family were the victims, so why would they be sued? and by whom. Btw, the Hances live in my town :Floral Park, an Incorporated Village in Nassau County N.Y. To buy a decent house here you need about a half million dollars and then pay about 9K in taxes per year. Diane Shuler was family not day care, Diane Schuler was not a nanny either, she made $100k at her own job, this was just one family allowing sister/sister in law to bring the kids camping and return them safely.
    If you are referring to me, I'll reply. Here's how. You said it yourself, it is Diane's maiden name. It is her kin. There are thousands of people on this board. I know I'm not the only one who knows that if the Bastardi's can't get money out of the turnip that is Danny, the Bastardi's attorney's will go to wherever they can, including Diane's family before she married Danny. Unfortunately that can possible include the assets of the Hances in this way: if they had bequest money to one another or if they had left money in trust to each others' kids. That's how. K? You may not like it, but that is an easy answer. That is how civil law works. It can take years, but a good civil attorney will go after your first freaking employer if they think they can get any money. And I know who the Hances are. I don't know if you were addressing me or not. I'm not fired up again like I was before, I just thought I'd answer this one, since it was easy and obvious. Diane may have put money in trust for those three girls or a college fund. If the Bastardi's sue, it's now theirs.

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    me too

Really? I think the opposite. i don't think he's a control freak. I get the impression he's a loafer.
    RaRa, I think a loafer is quite capable of being a control freak, King on his throne-- .

qulevergrrl Guest
    The Hances didn't sue Danny until they received notice that he was suing them. I think they are doing it to protect themselves. They probably had more to lose than Danny who barely has a pot to piss in and a window to throw it .
    O.k., then there's that, but my theory still holds true. There may be other assets that we are unaware of that an attorney may dig up five years from now, depending on the statute of limitations, and how good the attorney is. Oh, and how much Danny pisses off the Bastardis. I think the Bastardis are pretty good people, but Danny is continuing to anger them, therefore, they may surprise us with their actions. And therapy for PTSD costs money. Ok. enough said.

And Ramona, I agree, except for filing a lawsuit, which their attorney did on their behalf, I think Danny is lazy...not controlling or ambitious.

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    If you are referring to me, I'll reply. Here's how. You said it yourself, it is Diane's maiden name. It is her kin. There are thousands of people on this board. I know I'm not the only one who knows that if the Bastardi's can't get money out of the turnip that is Danny, the Bastardi's attorney's will go to wherever they can, including Diane's family before she married Danny. Unfortunately that can possible include the assets of the Hances in this way: if they had bequest money to one another or if they had left money in trust to each others' kids. That's how. K? You may not like it, but that is an easy answer. That is how civil law works. It can take years, but a good civil attorney will go after your first freaking employer if they think they can get any money. And I know who the Hances are. I don't know if you were addressing me or not. I'm not fired up again like I was before, I just thought I'd answer this one, since it was easy and obvious. Diane may have put money in trust for those three girls or a college fund. If the Bastardi's sue, it's now theirs.
    Yeah I hear you and the other poster that said Danny is suing the state and the Hances, I'm trying to sort this out myself and I for one will say that any legal action will result in a complete waste of time. The state did nothing wrong, the Hances did nothing wrong (except put total trust in someone they thought they knew) and Daniel Schuler himself did not have knowlege about his wifes condition. so where's the money?

RaRaRamona Guest
    RaRa, I think a loafer is quite capable of being a control freak, King on his throne-- .
    Yes, could be.

Mammy Guest
    If there is any money to be had, I think it will be through the insurance companies, who will fight tooth and nail to keep from paying out one cent.

They're suing the Hances because the car Diane was driving belonged to the Hances. Moreover, if the sue Danny, even though he has no money now, they can get a judgment against him and file a lien against his house or any other real property he may have now or in the future.

Klopek Guest
    Before I go to bed, I'd like to say that everyone on this thread had put in some good questions and theories about the case and i've been putting every scenario through my head. I've tried to avoid pointing a finger to blame and I'll stay that way.

My OWN personal opinion of Daniel Schuler is that of a guy who likes to spend time on his own, hunting and hanging out with the boys. I live here on Long Island and there are very few family guys into hunting, we have deer and plenty of them, but you can't take the kids with you and you'll have to travel at least 60 miles to get out to Montauk. This guy felt that he lost is freedom by having children. His wife Diane was extremely self sufficient without his sorry ass but loved this a-hole -to a point.
    Why were they in separate vehicles when they left the camp site? Why did Danny not take at least two of the kids--if even just for company on this 3 hour trip back home? IMO This woman has had enough, not to kill but surely seek a man that would appreciate her love and dedication. The man is a POS with no respect for his wifes ability to be a bread winner and compliment her, but put her into duty as if it were her destiny. Just my own thought.

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    They're suing the Hances because the car Diane was driving belonged to the Hances. Moreover, if the sue Danny, even though he has no money now, they can get a judgment against him and file a lien against his house or any other real property he may have now or in the future.
    Indeed. I agree, even if any single party were to sue, what little financial gain awarded would be easily consumed in legal fees thus negating the effort. It's just a sad total loss for all involved.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Yeah I hear you and the other poster that said Danny is suing the state and the Hances, I'm trying to sort this out myself and I for one will say that any legal action will result in a complete waste of time. The state did nothing wrong, the Hances did nothing wrong (except put total trust in someone they thought they knew) and Daniel Schuler himself did not have knowlege about his wifes condition. so where's the money?

I pray and hope that some sleazeball attorney who handed a card to the Bastardis doesn't find a way to milk their last painful memory and find any dime that Aunt Diane set up for the kids to get back to them. But I'm in California, and that kinda stuff happens all of the time. It's gross. I really hope that people just let it go and give it up to God, but with Danny suing the Hance's because it was their car? For God's sake, that just shows that it isn't being let go. Yeah, the whole thing is just one big clust F. But I'm glad you have your facts right, because frankly, I've only seen the documentary. You seem to know a lot more than that. Also, remember when everyone kept saying that Diane was the "breadwinner"? Well, my husband and I, before we lost it all, were considered that way in our family. If people wanted to, they could go after trust funds that were considered void or defunct because of now dead people, like our nephew. Let's just hope that these people aren't like that. I'm sorry, beating a dead horse. AGAIN!! lol.

Mammy Guest
    Not only did Diane travel home with all of the children while he traveled home in his pickup truck with the dog, he also left for the trip a day or two before Diane did, just him and the dog. This guy seemed to do just exactly what he wanted without any regard for anyone else's feelings. I can't help but to think that maybe Danny and Diane got into an argument before they left the campground and she was seething on the trip back home and maybe spiked her orange juice from McDonalds for the rest of the trip. Not only did she have three times the legal amount of alcohol in her system and marijuana, she also had a lot more fresh alcohol in her stomach that hadn't had time to metabolize before the accident. Danny can try to dispute this all he wants, but the truth is right there in his face whether he believes it or not.

Klopek Guest
    I pray and hope that some sleazeball attorney who handed a card to the Bastardis doesn't find a way to milk their last painful memory and find any dime that Aunt Diane set up for the kids to get back to them. But I'm in California, and that kinda stuff happens all of the time. It's gross. I really hope that people just let it go and give it up to God, but with Danny suing the Hance's because it was their car? For God's sake, that just shows that it isn't being let go. Yeah, the whole thing is just one big clust F. But I'm glad you have your facts right, because frankly, I've only seen the documentary. You seem to know a lot more than that. Also, remember when everyone kept saying that Diane was the "breadwinner"? Well, my husband and I, before we lost it all, were considered that way in our family. If people wanted to, they could go after trust funds that were considered void or defunct because of now dead people, like our nephew. Let's just hope that these people aren't like that. I'm sorry, beating a dead horse. AGAIN!! lol.
    No need to be sorry about beating a dead horse, trust funds are for millionaires and there are none involved. Around this neck of the woods, two working people are making an average of 50k each but there's no wiggle room, Nassau county Long Island pays the highest taxes in the entire country yet we love it here. We just voted to pretty much kill our own hockey team (NY Islanders) , the most successful NHL team in the U.S. just to avoid paying MORE taxes. The Schulers lived in a modest house but quite nice by national standards. I believe they lived in Suffolk which pay roughly half of what the Hances pay

Indeed. I agree, even if any single party were to sue, what little financial gain awarded would be easily consumed in legal fees thus negating the effort. It's just a sad total loss for all involved.
    I agree. They can get the policy limits insofar as the Hances' auto insurance, but after that, they're out of luck. If by some miracle, this idiot Danny strikes it rich on the lottery or is left money in a will, they can collect on their judgment, but otherwise, no one is going to see any money in this case.

Mammy Guest
    I think a lot of people file lawsuits against other people for the sole purpose of keeping them from cashing in with a book or tv rights. They don't really expect to receive any money from the lawsuit, but they don't want someone else to get rich off of their misery.

I think a lot of people file lawsuits against other people for the sole purpose of keeping them from cashing in with a book or tv rights. They don't really expect to receive any money from the lawsuit, but they don't want someone else to get rich off of their misery.
    That's true.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    K Thanks. Now that's based on fact. Mine was a hypothetical, and that hypothetical could still hold. Especially if miss "breadwinner" ever set up college funds for the dead girls. Just sayin'. But I really appreciate people updating me. I literally have just become obsessed with watching the actual documentary late at night, combined with insomnia. It is a gruesome combination. lol. Thanks again!

As we all know auto insurance can be stick. I wonder what the Hance policy pay out looked like. For instance was Diane covered by the policy. Some exclude you from loaning out your vehicle.

The Longo family may be the only family to make any money out of the tangled web of lawsuits. Double dipping from the Bastardi and Hance policies.

The Bastardi family has already written a book. Anyone read it yet?

qulevergrrl Guest
    No need to be sorry about beating a dead horse, trust funds are for millionaires and there are none involved. Around this neck of the woods, two working people are making an average of 50k each but there's no wiggle room, Nassau county Long Island pays the highest taxes in the entire country yet we love it here. We just voted to pretty much kill our own hockey team (NY Islanders) , the most successful NHL team in the U.S. just to avoid paying MORE taxes. The Schulers lived in a modest house but quite nice by national standards. I believe they lived in Suffolk which pay roughly half of what the Hances pay

Actually (and I really will leave it alone after this because I know that what I am saying now is NOT THE ISSUE and that I AM WRONG FOR WHY THEY ARE SUING because the facts have been revealed) but just for the record, they make a big deal in the documentary about the fact that Diane made over 100k and that she was the breadwinner in the family. So that with Danny's money when they were alive would have been a tidy sum. Maybe not, with your tax sit.

OFF TOPIC
    Your comment about the hockey team cracked me up, but I grew up dirt poor and my brother became a 13 year old accounting genius (no joke). So, I don't know about other people, but in our family, we set up college trust funds when the kids are born, and none of us make more than 100k, well two people do. It's just what our small town CPA taught us. And we are seriously kinda trailer. The trust funds earn pretty well, but most people never went to college. ha ha ha. So the trust funds die. They just convert to regular bonds. That's what I imagined in my scenario, but since the facts clarified the issue, it is a moot point. Once again, please apologize the off topic!

qulevergrrl Guest
    http://www.lohud.com/article/2011072...ughters-deaths

Did anyone already post this? It's a link to an article about Jackie Hance's wrongful death lawsuit. It probably has a lot of the same info as the LHJ article, but this is some heady stuff. I knew about her suicide note, but to say that she just wants to, "be with her daughters every day." That's hardcore. So things aren't all live and let live after all, huh? I mean, this and the Bastardi lawsuits are WRONGFUL DEATH. Yikes. The pain just keeps on coming.

Wow, glad someone posted the link to the documentary...been fascinated by this since it happened, but didn't know of all these more recent developments. I also don't have cable, so didn't know of the doc. IT's really good so far. Can't believe how delusional (to put it lightly) Daniel Schuler is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

K Thanks. Now that's based on fact. Mine was a hypothetical, and that hypothetical could still hold. Especially if miss "breadwinner" ever set up college funds for the dead girls. Just sayin'. But I really appreciate people updating me. I literally have just become obsessed with watching the actual documentary late at night, combined with insomnia. It is a gruesome combination. lol. Thanks again!
    You're welcome. If there is a civil trial, I hope they cover it either on t.v. or live stream it so we can watch.