Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong-way driver causes 8 deaths in New York. Diane Schuler

I'm sure dead beat husband Danny misses Diane $100,000 a year salary. Read somewhere recently he has trouble making the house payment. Did Diane have life insurance?
    When will all the lawsuits to court? I sure hope TruTv covers it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post

or so i gleaned from watching the documentary twice. i was mesmerized.
    That's what I understand also. So I don't think the abscess is relevant. Therefore MRSA is not relevant.

In my opinion, of course. But this time my opinion is backed by two autopsies. Whoot whoot

Mammy Guest
    I totally agree with you, catlady. That is what I have thought about Danny all along. He had it made when Diane was alive. She brought home a good paycheck, took care of the home and children, and they worked opposite shifts and barely saw each other. Diane was stuck with all of the responsibilities while Danny spent his free time hunting and fishing. If he had reacted to this differently, he would have probably been rolling in donations from people who felt sorry for him. Instead, he just comes off as an asshole for suing people who have suffered a huge loss and denying the fact that his wife was a closet alcoholic. He's not real bright obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    I totally agree with you, catlady. That is what I have thought about Danny all along. He had it made when Diane was alive. She brought home a good paycheck, took care of the home and children, and they worked opposite shifts and barely saw each other. Diane was stuck with all of the responsibilities while Danny spent his free time hunting and fishing. If he had reacted to this differently, he would have probably been rolling in donations from people who felt sorry for him. Instead, he just comes off as an asshole for suing people who have suffered a huge loss and denying the fact that his wife was a closet alcoholic. He's not real bright obviously.
    In that documentary he complains about having to cook and clean and do housework in addition to taking care of his own "needs." Welcome to parenthood douche. Women (and some men) have been pulling double duty forever. Now he knows what it feels like.

Mammy Guest
    He is probably a whole lot of the reason that Diane drank. He seems very selfish to me. He was getting all of his needs met by her, but it seemed like to me she was getting little to nothing in return. I think he probably realizes that now and feels guilty about it which is why he defends her and denies her poor choices. I read an article where someone commenting said that his sister is basically raising the little boy and Danny whines about having to help him with his homework, which may or may not be true.

susalu Guest
    He is probably a whole lot of the reason that Diane drank. He seems very selfish to me. He was getting all of his needs met by her, but it seemed like to me she was getting little to nothing in return. I think he probably realizes that now and feels guilty about it which is why he defends her and denies her poor choices. I read an article where someone commenting said that his sister is basically raising the little boy and Danny whines about having to help him with his homework, which may or may not be true.
    the SIL says something to the effect that Daniel was upset because he had never wanted children, Diane did, so he is mad at her for leaving him as a single dad. i suspect he is also mad at her for a lot of other reasons, some from before the accident. he is clearly not cut out to be a single parent. but, he will probably find some woman who feels sorry for him and will step in to mother little Brian. then he can go back to being a completely hands-off father again. what a horrible situation for that little boy. i understand the SIL for being so protective of him and for wanting to try to restore a little dignity to the mother. he will probably hear some awful things said about his mama. things no child should ever have to hear...

Mammy Guest
    Danny sounds like a real catch, huh? (heavy sarcasm) I think if another woman marries him it will be because they feel sorry for Brian, not Danny. I guess him not wanting children explains why he doesn't seem to say much about his daughter, Erin, who also died in the crash. I hope the aunt is primarily raising Brian because his father sounds like a total asshole.

wow. I watched the doc yesterday, wow..I was so disturbed by diane's husb.
    and he is suing his brother in law?? WTF??? wow. what a fucking asshole.
    and I wasnt expecting to see her body wow. not as mangled as i thought
    although couldnt see lower half :\

Diane and Danny, seemingly a perfect match. Him not wanting any responsibilty and she a control freak.

Diane obviously had issues. Seems she needed to "mother" everyone around her in a vain attempt to prove to herself and perhaps others that she was NOT like her mother.
    I think that this behavior eventually overwhelmed her and maybe she even became resentful of all the responsibilites she heaped upon herself and turned to booze and drugs.
    Not an excuse for what happened, of course! There is no excuses for drinking and driving!

I wonder about Danny's childhood. What made him so lazy? What gave him this sense of entitlement? Did anyone else notice that his brother had really nothing at all to say
    but his sister in law had ALOT to say?

PiggyTx- If you look online you can find and read a copy of the autopsy report. She was pretty messed up.
    I missed it yesterday. I would like to see it again. What I would really like to see is the still photo of her body.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    PiggyTx- If you look online you can find and read a copy of the autopsy report. She was pretty messed up.
    I missed it yesterday. I would like to see it again. What I would really like to see is the still photo of her body.
    thanks..will look for it. sad case all around wow. just don't get the gall
    of danny..wow. just no words for that asshole

She didn't look good and I'm not just talking about the injuries from the accident. She looked really heavy. None of the photos they showed looked like she was as heavy as the dead pic. Maybe she had been depressed and gained alot of weight or something???

Autopsy report states 63 inches (5'3) 204 lbs.
    Extremely large.

BTW...in the documentary, the junior high and high school photos of her, she is a large girl. I believe one of her friends stated she lost alot of weight for a wedding and that was around the time she met Danny.

Weight gain -I have a friend who is probally the same height as Diane and weights over 250. She doesn't eat much but drinks ALOT. She recently quit and lost 7lbs in 1 week. Alcohol has lots of calories and carbs.

Autopsy report states 63 inches (5'3) 204 lbs.
    Extremely large.
    Thank you for that. Yes, that would be large unless she was 7'0.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I read an article where someone commenting said that his sister is basically raising the little boy and Danny whines about having to help him with his homework, which may or may not be true.

It certainly sounds like him though, huh?

the SIL says something to the effect that Daniel was upset because he had never wanted children, Diane did, so he is mad at her for leaving him as a single dad. i suspect he is also mad at her for a lot of other reasons, some from before the accident. he is clearly not cut out to be a single parent. but, he will probably find some woman who feels sorry for him and will step in to mother little Brian. then he can go back to being a completely hands-off father again. what a horrible situation for that little boy. i understand the SIL for being so protective of him and for wanting to try to restore a little dignity to the mother. he will probably hear some awful things said about his mama. things no child should ever have to hear...

Guys like that seem to have no problem getting woman to take care of them. I don't get it. But they do. We all know them.

I thought I remembered that a joint Schuler/Hance burial took place and that the neices are buried next to Diane and her daughter. I also think I remember Mrs Hance
    saying something like the girls were buried next to Diane because at the time of the burials it wasn't known about the alcohol and drugs.

I can't find it on Find A Grave.

susalu Guest
    I thought I remembered that a joint Schuler/Hance burial took place and that the neices are buried next to Diane and her daughter. I also think I remember Mrs Hance
    saying something like the girls were buried next to Diane because at the time of the burials it wasn't known about the alcohol and drugs.

I can't find it on Find A Grave.
    In the documentary, calls to the police from the Hances and some friend of theirs indicated that, they were concerned that Diane was experiencing some sort of medical emergency at the time of the accident. They called the police several times asking them to be on the lookout for the van saying that they thought Diane was ill. Unfortunately by that time, the accident had already happened. The first phonecall from the Hances/their friend to the police happened at 1:40 i think and the accident happened 10 minutes before. If they had only called the police earlier instead of hopping in their cars and heading up there, they might have prevented the whole thing. If only... it is a hard thing for them to live with, I am sure...

Anyway, that's probably why they had the joint funeral and burial, because at that point they didn't believe their children died due to an intentional act on Diane's part... but because of illness that caused her to drive erratically... i read somewhere that the mother, Jackie, especially struggled with it because she both loved and hated Diane...

I did not get to watch the doc I don't have HBO but if everyone jumped in their cars I am just wondering did they drive all the way to see the aftermath of the accident?

RaRaRamona Guest
    In the documentary, calls to the police from the Hances and some friend of theirs indicated that, they were concerned that Diane was experiencing some sort of medical emergency at the time of the accident. They called the police several times asking them to be on the lookout for the van saying that they thought Diane was ill. Unfortunately by that time, the accident had already happened. The first phonecall from the Hances/their friend to the police happened at 1:40 i think and the accident happened 10 minutes before. If they had only called the police earlier instead of hopping in their cars and heading up there, they might have prevented the whole thing. If only... it is a hard thing for them to live
    But I listened to the police calls, & they were very strange. they didn't sound like they needed help for someone with a medical condition, they sounded guarded & like they were holding back. that's what was so strange.

I don't have HBO either, so I can't watch the doc. But is it the family saying all of these things? Bc I don't trust the fam.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    But I listened to the police calls, & they were very strange. they didn't sound like they needed help for someone with a medical condition, they sounded guarded & like they were holding back. that's what was so strange.

I don't have HBO either, so I can't watch the doc. But is it the family saying all of these things? Bc I don't trust the fam.
    the phone calls were the actual 911 recorded calls from a friend and diane's brother steve... you can hear them talking to daniel, asking who the cell phone account belongs to, Diane Schuler or Diane Hance... the earlier calls don't seem to get anywhere. the cop isn't too concerned and doesn't seem too interested, but the calls that came next were involving a woman cop who was talking to one of them and she was the one that was trying to ping the cell phone.

from what i remember the call from Steve was pretty upset... he had just talked to his daughter who said aunt diane was acting strange and couldn't see.. the other caller was a family friend who was more calm and he was more of a take charge sort of caller.

the phonecalls from the other motorists who diane drove past the wrong way are just gut wrenching, and the phonecalls reporting the accident are horrifying.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I did not get to watch the doc I don't have HBO but if everyone jumped in their cars I am just wondering did they drive all the way to see the aftermath of the accident?
    i doubt that they were even able to get close... both lanes of traffic were completely stopped for miles. the other thing was Diane drove off in the opposite direction instead of continuing for home, until she got on the highway going the wrong direction, which i believe was going back towards her home. (somebody correct me if i am wrong.)

i don't understand why they didn't call the cops first thing, when they got that call from Emma to say that something was wrong with Aunt Diane... immediately after that, she quit answering her phone. to me that would be the time to call the cops... instead they got in their cars to go find her. so did they suspect she was drunk and didn't want her to get in trouble? did she tell them she would wait by the side of the road by the bridge where her cell phone was found? who knows?

it's all conjecture and second guessing, and only the family knows... maybe someday jackie or steve will write a book and clear it all up... that is one book i would read, unlike the OJ book or a Casey Anthony book...

RaRaRamona Guest
    that is one book i would read, unlike the OJ book or a Casey Anthony book...
    Me too

lisagr Guest
    Here is a link for the autopsy report for Diane Schuler.

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/...ane_report.pdf

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisagr View Post
    Here is a link for the autopsy report for Diane Schuler.

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/...ane_report.pdf
    Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I think I trust the person that knows how to spell DELIRIUM!

The documentary is good, but it is certainly not the be all and end all of this case... One review I read suggested that they should have waited a few more years before completing the documentary, because it would have made more sense to wait and see if there is more info uncovered, either by an exhumation or in discovery documents presented in court. The reviewer felt that they rushed to complete the documentary to coincide with the two year anniversary of the accident.
    You are right. The fact that I misspelled (sp) delirium (spelled right) speaks to the fact that I actually have zero intelligence and no ability to think for myself or come to my own conclusion. You are right, my spelling is atrocious. I could give you all of the reasons, but the biggest one is that since my seizures began seven years after getting my Master's in the Symbolic Logic area of Calculus or Wester/Analytic Philosophy from one of the best schools in California, I had to learn how to spell, the rules of grammar, and how to write, almost from scratch. But what you did essentially amounts to name calling during a debate. I didn't do that. I just didn't want one person monopolizing the thread. I felt as though a little balance was warranted (please check my spelling on that, thanks). That's an ad hom attack during an argument. An ad hom attack completely (sp) invalidates an argument. That is a factual rule of argumentation. That's probably not very important to you though, right? I didn't think so. Spelling is important to me, but I would think that it is more important to point it out to someone in private than to rudely name call during a debate. The end. I was done with the last post anyway, knowing that Ramona had chosen to miss the section on delirium. If one is that dismissive of the material that he or she is defending, I don't think that debating that individual is worthwhile.
    Last edited by qulevergrrl; 08-07-2011 at 10:11 PM.

susalu Guest
    egad! 'nuff said.

ryanolivia Guest
    I watched this show yesterday but I was doing several things at the same time. Near the end of the show the Sister in Law? calls the investigator because she wants some information. The investigator tells her that he tried calling her a year ago, with the information but couldn't reach her. She replies that she knew he tried to call but that "HE" told her not to answer the calls. Who is "HE"? Why didn't he want her speaking to the investigator? Why wouldn't they want to receive information they had requested?

Has anyone else read something about Schuler's lawyer Barbara having his law license suspended for holding on to some $$$ from Diane's 100,000 dollar life insurance?

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    I watched this show yesterday but I was doing several things at the same time. Near the end of the show the Sister in Law? calls the investigator because she wants some information. The investigator tells her that he tried calling her a year ago, with the information but couldn't reach her. She replies that she knew he tried to call but that "HE" told her not to answer the calls. Who is "HE"? Why didn't he want her speaking to the investigator? Why wouldn't they want to receive information they had requested?
    i wondered about that too! do you think it was the lawyer? he REALLY dropped the ball on that whole thing! in my opinion, but the lawyer and the investigator seem like low lifes!

by the way, if anyone feels i am monopolizing this thread, please feel free to ignore me...

susalu Guest
    Has anyone else read something about Schuler's lawyer Barbara having his law license suspended for holding on to some $$$ from Diane's 100,000 dollar life insurance?
    i read he was in trouble for unethical practices, but didn't read about anything related to the Schuler case..

According to the New York Daily News on 3/16/11: Barbara pocketed money due Daniel Schuler from his dead wife's $100,000 life insurance policy-plus another $10,000 Schuler gave him. But when Schuler recently asked for the $110,000, he was told it was unavailable, according to one source. Only $34,000 went for legitimate legal fees and Barbara coughed up a mere $20,000 last week, the source said.

Can you say "scumbag lawyer"?

ryanolivia Guest
    i wondered about that too! do you think it was the lawyer? he REALLY dropped the ball on that whole thing! in my opinion, but the lawyer and the investigator seem like low lifes!

by the way, if anyone feels i am monopolizing this thread, please feel free to ignore me...
    I hadn't thought of the lawyer. That is possible. I was kind of thinking the husband. I can tell you that if someone was calling me with information on the death of a loved one, I would answer my phone. I wouldn't care if the Pope and the President told me not to. I pay my phone bill. I will answer the phone whenever I damn well please.

The whole conversation was just so bizarre. She was asking him why he didn't call. He said that he had called A YEAR AGO. Then, she says she remembered him calling but that "He" told her not to pick up his calls. WTF!

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanolivia View Post
    I hadn't thought of the lawyer. That is possible. I was kind of thinking the husband. I can tell you that if someone was calling me with information on the death of a loved one, I would answer my phone. I wouldn't care if the Pope and the President told me not to. I pay my phone bill. I will answer the phone whenever I damn well please.

The whole conversation was just so bizarre. She was asking him why he didn't call. He said that he had called A YEAR AGO. Then, she says she remembered him calling but that "He" told her not to pick up his calls. WTF!
    I wondered why the attorney was so quick to jump on the bandwagon of, "let's hang the investigator out to dry." That was all a bit odd. That investigator is almost as famous as the attorney himself, and as credible. Just strange. None of these pieces fit.

Are any of the grave sites on Find-A-Grave? I can't find them.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I hate to feed a troll.

I watched the video in question twice. I read the page twice. There is no mention of her tooth causing any delirium. I can only assume that was a red herring.

It's not possible for one person to hog a thread when it is in fact the group as a whole that agrees on the key aspects of the case.

susalu Guest
    I hate to feed a troll.

I watched the video in question twice. I read the page twice. There is no mention of her tooth causing any delirium. I can only assume that was a red herring.

It's not possible for one person to hog a thread when it is in fact the group as a whole that agrees on the key aspects of the case.
    Thanks Ra.... anywhoo.... thought I'd post the link to Jackie Hance's essay in Ladies Home Journal. Definitely clears some things up. This poor woman and her husband! If someone else posted it, my apologies...

http://www.lhj.com/relationships/fam...f-my-children/

ryanolivia Guest
    Thanks Ra.... anywhoo.... thought I'd post the link to Jackie Hance's essay in Ladies Home Journal. Definitely clears some things up. This poor woman and her husband! If someone else posted it, my apologies...

That was such an amazing essay. Thank you for posting it. I can't even imagine the pain this woman feels and I am in awe at her strength.

I am having such a moment after reading that. I am inspired and I am pissed. I am pissed for the obvious reason that someone caused this tragedy. I am also pissed because I see and hear almost daily of someone who has it all pissing it all away and giving up their lives. I am inspired to see this woman who really has lost everything, finding a way to go on.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I hate to feed a troll.

It's called debate, not trolling. And in true debate, you've used the informal fallacy Red Herring incorrectly. Nonetheless, that's not what really get's to me. It is a fact that Delirium is defined on the screen in the video. They actually have the definition alone on the screen! They don't tie it in by saying it caused her death. They say it as in "Danny's theory could be a possibility." You know, I'd let everything go if you could just get your facts straight. But you have difficulty with that, kind of like my struggle with my spelling.

The fact is we will never know what happened.
    Jackie Hance's essay will always haunt me. She is a much stronger than me. I will keep her in my prayers that her baby will be born live and well.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    The fact is we will never know what happened.
    Jackie Hance's essay will always haunt me. She is a much stronger than me. I will keep her in my prayers that her baby will be born live and well.
    I agree. This is what I've been trying to say all along, I just don't like these hard conclusions and getting the facts wrong.
    I'm watching it right now! Let me repeat that all of this is conjecture and opinion based on the facts gathered by police which contradict the personal profile gathered by the same investigators which is why the documentary was done is the first place HELLO! But I also believe that it was the alcohol and marijuana that killed her and the kids. I'm just saying that we should keep in mind that other factors were brought up late in the documentary by professionals, such as delirium from a POSSIBLE accute (florid) tooth infection that could have lead to her drinking and smoking more than she ordinarily would have. Because I'm watching it right now, I can tell you that it is exactly one hour into it that these theories are discussed by the following professionals:

The New Yorker Author, The Consulting Forensic Psychiatrist, Harold Burzjastan (sp), and The Consulting Psychologist, Dr. Carol Weiss. One of the reasons they posit the theory that it may have been infection that contributed was because had it just been the alcohol and pot, she would have been stumbling and slurring at the gas station when they have her on video surveillance. Then, exactly 20 minutes before the end of the program, they put the word delirium phonetically up on the screen by itself. I tried to do a screen capture, but I'm not that good. Specifically Carol Weiss states that a slippery slope of an infection leading to her drinking and smoking more than she was aware of could have
    "quite possibly occurred."

I much would have rather discussed more interesting things than correct the facts that others get wrong. For example, isn't it strange that she got off of the freeway at 1:10 and left her cell phone on the Tappan Zee Bridge? That kinda creeps me out. The kids are heard by relatives in the background on those calls screaming that, "There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane." Too freaky.

@Ramona:

Here are several links that discuss the delirium infection tie in. Two are articles, the other three are merely other forums that discuss it, like FAD. Sorry I was sloppy with my research, but I just wanted to show that yes, delirium is an issue in the doc, and I was short on time.

[SIZE=3]http://andrewhoff.com/2011/08/dianne-shuler-drunk-and-high-or-a-medical-mystery/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]http://www.urbanbaby.com/talk/posts/53223625[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164652&start=45[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]http://pysih.com/2009/09/02/diane-schuler/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/wrong-way-drivers-husband-sues-state-others-over-crash.1955/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    And they are on your side, I believe. I just wanted to illustrate that the delirium issue is out there being debated. NOW can we PLEASE let that part go!? Please allow me to stay on this thread and contribute to things other than correcting that fact. Please stop bullying me and calling me names. I don't call others names. That is just ridiculous and childish. Because I am certain that I am correct on this particular issue, I intend to stay here and discuss the Schuler accident, as it has become a part of me in a strange way. But you need to just stop the name calling crap.
    Last edited by qulevergrrl; 08-11-2011 at 02:48 AM.

After watching "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" I have been totally sucked into this case. I love reading everyone's post.

What do you all think of the Bastardi family lawsuit against the Hance family and the Longo family lawsuit against the Bastardi family?

After watching "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" I have been totally sucked into this case. I love reading everyone's post.

What do you all think of the Bastardi family lawsuit against the Hance family and the Longo family lawsuit against the Bastardi family?
    I think it's a huge mess, those poor Bastardi's

ryanolivia Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I know I am going straight to hell but I can't be the only one who thinks that name should have been changed at Ellis Island.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    lol... unfortunately, i think they have to sue the Hances because they were the owners of the vehicle... or so it seems.

pvezz Guest
    I don't have HBO so I can't watch the docu - ARGH!

Anyone know of anywhere I can watch it online? I checked the site where I usually go to download TV shows and movies and they don't have it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yeah! If you find it let me know

Try LetMeWatchThis.ch
    I don't know the specifics but they claim to have it for download.

I am watching it now at www.putlocker.com/file/7209F80A17CA7E69#

Mammy Guest
    Catlady, Thank you so, so much for posting the link. I just finished watching the documentary and it was very well done. This is such a sad, horrible accident and it is hard to wrap your mind around all of it. There are so many questions that will never be answered. My heart aches for poor little Bryan.