Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrong-way driver causes 8 deaths in New York. Diane Schuler

Flowergrrl Guest
    This is sooo fucked up and it burns me up to think about it. I hope that Hell exists for this bitch. All the lives she has screwed up, ESPECIALLY all those children!

Whether they knew about it or not... She DEFINITELY did it. There are toxicology reports to prove it.

Whoever the fuck thinks Vodka "tastes like water" or "has no smell" (and believe me, I've heard it before)... Doesn't know what they're talking about. Any alcohol will have an aroma of alcohol to it. Even if you mix Rum into a Strawberry Daiquiri you can still smell the alcohol in it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripfaceape View Post
    The Bastardi family wants the hubby to do a hair test for drugs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32688902/

Theyâ??re perpetrating a hoax.

That's an excellent way to put it. I think so too. It's be a great idea to make her husband provide hair to show drug use.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Theyâ??re perpetrating a hoax.

That's an excellent way to put it. I think so too. It's be a great idea to make her husband provide hair to show drug use.

What does his drug use have to do with the fact that she caused the accident? Maybe he is lying to them, or maybe he's just in a MASSIVE state of denial about her usage, but what am I missing here? Granted, the right thing to do would be to tell the family the truth, but maybe he just can't face the truth. *shrug*

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    What does his drug use have to do with the fact that she caused the accident? Maybe he is lying to them, or maybe he's just in a MASSIVE state of denial about her usage, but what am I missing here? Granted, the right thing to do would be to tell the family the truth, but maybe he just can't face the truth. *shrug*

They said that he keeps giving interviews stating that she never used drugs or smoked pot. They said that she can't have smoked so much it was still in her system & he didn't know about it. So he either smoked with her or was around her when she did it & either way, it would prove that he did in fact know she smoked.

pvezz Guest
    They said that he keeps giving interviews stating that she never used drugs or smoked pot. They said that she can't have smoked so much it was still in her system & he didn't know about it. So he either smoked with her or was around her when she did it & either way, it would prove that he did in fact know she smoked.

I'm being dense - LOL - if he gives a hair sample and it is positive for pot, that automatically means she smoked, too?

RaRaRamona Guest
    I'm being dense - LOL - if he gives a hair sample and it is positive for pot, that automatically means she smoked, too?
    They already found it in her system but he is saying it wasn't. I can understand the families of the victims wanting to prove he's a liar.

pvezz Guest
    They already found it in her system but he is saying it wasn't. I can understand the families of the victims wanting to prove he's a liar.

Understood.

If I were them, that would make me feel better, too, but I'd bet $20 there is no legal premise to make him do it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Understood.

If I were them, that would make me feel better, too, but I'd bet $20 there is no legal premise to make him do it.

Oh, no, I wouldn't think so. They just don't think he just be diggin her up to retest either. He is such a jerk! aaahhh

pvezz Guest
    Oh, no, I wouldn't think so. They just don't think he just be diggin her up to retest either. He is such a jerk! aaahhh
    The fact that he wants her exhumed is nuts in itself. The toxicology reports don't lie. What's the point??

RaRaRamona Guest
    The fact that he wants her exhumed is nuts in itself. The toxicology reports don't lie. What's the point??
    I know. I hope it all just comes to a close so everyone can move on.

I know. I hope it all just comes to a close so everyone can move on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-O3vT26Ns
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    eeeewwwwwwww

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post

I *HEART* them!!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    I *HEART* them!!!

LOL They are pointing & smiling! LOL Creepy in this thread.

eeeewwwwwwww
    Well my first choice was Movin On Up by MPeople
    followed by The Jeffersons Theme Song
    then Move Your Body by Technotronic featuring Ya Kid K
    but ABBA seemed the least offensive.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Okay sorry its Shake That Body (Move This)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YDS0jf9aaE

RaRaRamona Guest
    Yes

djdeath-hag Guest
    I feel sadness for the families affected by this avoidable tragedy. As I stated earlier, I feel sad also for the Bastardi family's choice to not change their surname to something like Illigitamatius....now, I see that one of the Bastardi women married into the Nicotini family....it just gets worse! Or easier for me to poke fun, in a very unfunny situation. So Mrs. Nicotina (Tobaccannia), nee Bastardi (Illigitimatius) wants a hair of the dog & his dead wife....good luck! Seriously though, all of these legal maneuverings will change nothing. The folks I feel the MOST empathy for are the parents of Mrs. Schuler's 3 dead nieces. They are linked to most of the victims as well as the woman who is very likely, if not absolutely responsible for their loss...and who is also quite dead. What I personally believe that Mr. Schuler is fighting for is not his dead wife's "good name" (as opposed to Bastardi or Nicotina) but every penny he has or can possibly ever earn in 3 lifetimes.....because he knows that eventually he is going to PAY financially for his late wife's stupid mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I feel sadness for the families affected by this avoidable tragedy. As I stated earlier, I feel sad also for the Bastardi family's choice to not change their surname to something like Illigitamatius....now, I see that one of the Bastardi women married into the Nicotini family....it just gets worse! Or easier for me to poke fun, in a very unfunny situation. So Mrs. Nicotina (Tobaccannia), nee Bastardi (Illigitimatius) wants a hair of the dog & his dead wife....good luck! Seriously though, all of these legal maneuverings will change nothing. The folks I feel the MOST empathy for are the parents of Mrs. Schuler's 3 dead nieces. They are linked to most of the victims as well as the woman who is very likely, if not absolutely responsible for their loss...and who is also quite dead. What I personally believe that Mr. Schuler is fighting for is not his dead wife's "good name" (as opposed to Bastardi or Nicotina) but every penny he has or can possibly ever earn in 3 lifetimes.....because he knows that eventually he is going to PAY financially for his late wife's stupid mistake.
    Why should he be held financially responsible for his wifes actions?
    Sorry but shit happens everyday people die everyday its just a wellknown fact of life. Why must someone married to or related to the accused perpetrator be financially indebted to the other dead parties family when they played no part in the events (and dont try to argue that getting high with someone a few days previously encouraged the behavior therefore they are just as culpable thats bullshit)? Fuck em. Its sad but its part of life.

pvezz Guest
    Sorry but shit happens everyday people die everyday its just a wellknown fact of life. Why must someone married to or related to the accused perpetrator be financially indebted to the other dead parties family when they played no part in the events (and dont try to argue that getting high with someone a few days previously encouraged the behavior therefore they are just as culpable thats bullshit)? Fuck em. Its sad but its part of life.

If I were held financially responsible for every stupid thing my ex did when he was on coke, I'd be homeless.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Sorry but shit happens everyday people die everyday its just a wellknown fact of life. Why must someone married to or related to the accused perpetrator be financially indebted to the other dead parties family when they played no part in the events (and dont try to argue that getting high with someone a few days previously encouraged the behavior therefore they are
    I would agree with you except that in this case I believe he did know she was a boozer & he let her take a van full of children on a car ride.

I would agree with you except that in this case I believe he did know she was a boozer & he let her take a van full of children on a car ride.
    So hes responsible for every possible outcome of the actions of every person hes had a close relationship with? Thats quite an extreme definition of a causal relationship.

If I were held financially responsible for every stupid thing my ex did when he was on coke, I'd be homeless.

I thank God every day that I'm not responsible for any of the actions of my exes.

In fact, I thank God every day that my exes are my exes. Good riddance to bad garbage, IYKWIM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    So hes responsible for every possible outcome of the actions of every person hes had a close relationship with? Thats quite an extreme definition of a causal relationship.
    A casual relationship? It was his wife. They lived together, had children together, slept together, ate together, vacationed together, ect. How is that a casual relationship?

Yes he knew what she was doing & knew what her habits were.

STsFirstmate Guest
    A casual relationship? It was his wife. They lived together, had children together, slept together, ate together, vacationed together, ect. How is that a casual relationship?

Yes he knew what she was doing & knew what her habits were.
    Not casual, causal a legal term. If I buy my kid a Corvette and teach him to drive and have a history of driving fast and incurring tickets myself and drinking and then give him booze and the keys to the Corvette that is causal. If I were a builder and I was retained and asked and agreed to violate builing codes in a theater and people later died in a fire both the theater owner and me as the contracter are culpable and have a causal relationship.
    Maybe a death hag legal eagle can jump in and correct me if I am wrong.
    I am going by what I remember from my college contract law class back at least a century ago it seems.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Not casual, causal a legal term. If I buy my kid a Corvette and teach him to drive and have a history of driving fast and incurring tickets myself and drinking and then give him booze and the keys to the Corvette that is causal. If I were a builder and I was retained and asked and agreed to violate building codes in a theater and people later died in a fire both the theater owner and me as the contractor are culpable and have a causal relationship.
    Maybe a death hag legal eagle can jump in and correct me if I am wrong.
    I am going by what I remember from my college contract law class back at least a century ago it seems.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Good point. And isn't it common practice in lawsuits to sue a person's estate if they're dead? Estate in this case would be any life insurance payouts if there were any. I'm sure I've heard of surviving spouses being sued for compensation if their spouse was the wrongdoer. Maybe I'm talking nonsense, though. I'd also be curious to hear from any "legal eagles" myself!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    Good point. And isn't it common practice in lawsuits to sue a person's estate if they're dead? Estate in this case would be any life insurance payouts if there were any. I'm sure I've heard of surviving spouses being sued for compensation if their spouse was the wrongdoer. Maybe I'm talking nonsense, though. I'd also be curious to hear from any "legal eagles" myself!
    They would have to prove her husband not only knew she drank, which is not illegal, but that she drank regularly and in excess and he had reason to believe that morning those children were in danger riding with her.
    I very much doubt they can prove that to anyone's real satisfaction/
    Regards,
    Mary

28. 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM

cherryghost Guest
    Why do you get the feeling the guy is hiding something! Saw the families on TV here is Sydney last week and he was denying she even drank at all, not ever

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    In fact, I thank God every day that my exes are my exes. Good riddance to bad garbage, IYKWIM.
    Most definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Why do you get the feeling the guy is hiding something! Saw the families on TV here is Sydney last week and he was denying she even drank at all, not ever
    I swear...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Not casual, causal a legal term.
    LOL Sorry Ich! I read too fast. I really did think you said casual, not that you misspelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    People sue the families all the time. I assume that's most of it, not that they are mad at him for not stopping her but suing her estate.

Andrea Guest
    If they exhume her I would think the embalming, etc., would have an impact on what they find? All those chemicals and what not. Wouldn't the original autopsy have already looked for signs of a stroke or heart attack? Very sad, regardless what happened.

Andrea

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    If they exhume her I would think the embalming, etc., would have an impact on what they find? All those chemicals and what not. Wouldn't the original autopsy have already looked for signs of a stroke or heart attack? Very sad, regardless what happened.

Andrea

Yes, & they found nothing.

[quote=RaRaRamona;911729]LOL Sorry Ich! I read too fast. I really did think you said casual, not that you misspelled it.[quote]
    No prob. I understand the circumstance in which the confusion arose. Ive often misinterpreted much more forthright and glaringly obvious statements to my embarrassment.

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    This case was discussed on Oprah today. Schuler's husband didn't appear, although he sent a statement basically rehashing his insistence that she wasn't drunk or high. His private investigator was on, though, still saying that she must've had a medical condition, blah blah. What a bunch of nonsense.

BBO Guest

CSI

Did anyone see the recent CSI-Miami episode where they classified the driver of an accident as being intoxicated, and the husband totally denied it being possible. More test were ran and as I mentioned previously before possible they changed the results to post mortem.

Quote Originally Posted by BBO View Post
    Did anyone see the recent CSI-Miami episode where they classified the driver of an accident as being intoxicated, and the husband totally denied it being possible. More test were ran and as I mentioned previously before possible they changed the results to post mortem.
    They changed it because they suspected something or other caused the alcohol percentage to go up after death. They went into water, which looked like a mud hole, found the vic's eyeball, drew fluid from it, restested the booze tox and found that, no, the vic was not intoxicated. Interesting.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    They changed it because they suspected something or other caused the alcohol percentage to go up after death. They went into water, which looked like a mud hole, found the vic's eyeball, drew fluid from it, restested the booze tox and found that, no, the vic was not intoxicated. Interesting.
    That is odd. When Dr. G. checks the vitreous fluid in the eye, it usually will yield evidence of booze or drugs.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I wanted so badly for them to find some kind of medical condition or something, anything else to be the cause of this accident. But I think its time for her husband to give up and concede that she was impaired by drugs and/or alcohol.

Carrera_3.2 Guest
    I really think that the postmortem and a lot of the testing that was done, may have been flawed, due to the condition of the body after this crash. If you look at her vehicle, it is quite apparent, that she received almost the full force of the impact to just about every part of her body. She was in several pieces and what remained together, did not look anything like someone could think a human body could possibly appear. Carrera.

Update: The parents of the three little girls killed in the crash are expecting a new baby. The mother, Jackie Hance, had tubal ligation after the 3rd daughter's birth, but was able to have in-vitro fertilization.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...way_crash.html

The saddest statement is that her happiness has a cloud over it. She and her husband Warren (brother of Diane Schuler, who caused the entire tragedy) know how it can all be gone in a fflash.

Still, wishing them all the best (like that family who lost all their 3 little children after bring rear-ended by a truck, then the mother got pregnant with triplets.)

An HBO documentary, "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" (the last words of one of their daughters on the phone) is premiering July 25. Mrs. Hance did not participate.

A commenter to this story says that a second autopsy was never done, after all, though the widower of Diane Schuler is apparently still denying that she had a substance abuse issue and he's still employing attorney Dominic Barbara.

1karenhb Guest
    Thanks for the update Linnie. I was just thinking of this story the other day but couldn't remember the driver's name.

stacebabe Guest
    That's wonderful news about the new baby. I would be so full of hatred and rage that I think if someone killed all of my children, I probably would've killed myself. How she held it together is beyond me.

I had never seen the gas station footage until yesterday. Holy shit. How can Diane's husband still defend her? She totally peeled out into oncoming traffic without even slowing down. Her toxicology shows large amounts of alcohol, and still undigested alcohol in her stomach, as well as pot.

Found this yesterday:
    http://taconictragedy.com/Home_Page.php

RaRaRamona Guest
    That's an awesome site.

Happy to hear about the baby. Here is a very interesting look at the events/case. http://pysih.com/2010/01/23/diane-sc...g-perspective/

RaRaRamona Guest
    Does anyone know why her phone was in her maiden name, and her voicemail outgoing message? WHy didn't the husband know whether her bill was in her married or maiden name? had they been married long? If not it would explain why he didn't know she was a drunk & a pothead.

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I had never seen the gas station footage until yesterday. Holy shit. How can Diane's husband still defend her? She totally peeled out into oncoming traffic without even slowing down. Her toxicology shows large amounts of alcohol, and still undigested alcohol in her stomach, as well as pot.

Found this yesterday:
    http://taconictragedy.com/Home_Page.php
    Thank you for posting the link to this excellent site- very informative and oh so telling...wow.

Diane Schuler's husband is truly on a delusional trip continuing down the River of Da Nile. OMG buddy- she killed seven people when she was highly intoxicated...wake the hell up and look at her on the gas station footage. What an unspeakable tragedy this is...
    Last edited by Cynful; 07-17-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Here's another. Check out some of the comments too. This case haunts me. Family denial and cover-up. Her husband is a weirdo. http://nymag.com/news/features/62043/

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dvz View Post
    Happy to hear about the baby. Here is a very interesting look at the events/case. http://pysih.com/2010/01/23/diane-sc...g-perspective/

Wow very impressive!!!

The NY Magazine article says she was compulsive shopper however, buying a $300 purse for her sister in law on the spur of the moment, going out for milk and coming back with a Jeep, or grocery shopping and coming home with a plasma TV. This sounds like someone with an impulse problem to me, not a frugal one. There is much more in that story and I recommend it for background as it is the only source of information on the dynamics of these peoples lives.

That sounds more like mania than just compulsion.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Harley Quinn says: January 25, 2010 at 9:41 am
    This woman makes me sick. I read every article and story about her that I find and I’m just sick and angry with her. She threw it all away on what I think was a wild goose chase.
    Here’s my ‘analysis’ of some things asked in the article:
    “What was said that made her get out of the van and put the phone on the divider? What made her drive away in the opposite direction they would have thought she was going in to look for her?”
    I’m willing to speculate her and her husband were separated or separating, possibly because of her drinking problem, and she couldn’t handle that on top of her already unstable emotions. There’s a lot that makes me think she suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder, the compulsive spending, the drinking and drugs, and the need to control everything – like not inviting her mother to the wedding, and demanding a non menu item from the restaurant. Even if that’s a broad leap, I still think everything that happened that day was about control.
    I think when she was on the phone, she was freaking out. She probably threatened or said that she was going to hurt herself somehow and I’m sure this probably wasn’t the first time so they didn’t take it as seriously as they should have. She probably drank and drank and drank for hours leading up to leaving her husband and going home to squash the panic and fear of what would happen after the “vacation” was over and everybody went back to real life. The real life where she was miserable and her husband couldn’t stand her. While on the phone they probably told her they were going to call the police and she knew that if she got caught she would have to go to jail or the psych ward. She ditched the phone so it couldn’t be traced, and went back the way she came so nobody would catch up to her. She maybe only planned to lead them on a wild goose chase and hide away until she was promised unconditional love and forgiveness, or maybe she did plan to crash the car and take everybody down with her as punishment for not loving her the way she felt she needed, or maybe she was just so wasted that one mistake led to another. BPD’s suffer from black and white thinking. No gray area exists. The second they disapproved of her behavior was the second they stopped loving her, in her head.
    That’s my thought. None of it is any excuse for what happened. Shame on her for not getting help, and if you’re reading this Daniel, SHAME ON YOU for letting this happen to your children. What she did to herself was her problem and hers alone but those were your CHILDREN. I’m sure you’re so spineless that you let her use them as pawns against you many times and you should have stood up for them. You should have protected them. That’s what daddy’s do, and that’s what they needed you to do. The SICKEST part of this whole subplot with you Daniel is that YOUR OWN CHILDREN recognized that they needed your help before you were ever able to give it to them. I hope to god if you ever have any more children, you get a backbone with them you worthless shit.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Melynn says: January 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm
    The only real proof I have of a suicidal unhappiness in Schuler is the implausibility of either a 36 year old mother of two naively and atrociously BINGE drinking 16-18 ounces of vodka out of a 60 ounce bottle or a 36 year old mother of two “functionally” BINGE drinking 16-18 ounces out of a 60 ounce bottle. Only ignorant little girls binge drink into oblivion without forethought or notion of consequence. A 36 year old mother of two binge drinks because she has very serious personal issues or she is suicidal. Likewise, “functional alcoholics” don’t binge drink because such drinking leads to loss of function which is antithetical to the primary goal of the “functional alcoholic. That goal being a perpetual AND FUNCTIONING inebriated state. “Functional alcoholics” would not buy the largest available bottle of alcohol with a total disregard for the potential to get pulled and arrested for drunk driving. But a very depressed woman bent on suicide would buy such a bottle to ensure the job was done and could only wish that a cop would pull her over to give her the real help she needed.
    From everything I’ve read about this, I believe this woman killed herself deliberately, along with her own children and the children of her brother, and the adults in the other vehicle. I’ve heard of other female wrong-way driving suicides involving children, and this seems to match the pattern.
    What set her off? We may never know. Perhaps a revelation of infidelity (which I have theorized could be between her husband and the sister-in-law ~ which would explain why this is such a cover up. In some sort of effort to not let the deaths of Diane and the children be in vain – since she was driven to that point – all parties feel responsible to cover up. And would explain why she took the children – because she wanted to hurt the sister in-law and take away from her as the sister in-law had done to Diane. It also, could explain the phone calls to the brother ~ she probably called to apologize to him before hand in some cryptic way.) and/or other embarrassing sexual behavior, perhaps even something along the lines of questions rose about the paternity of a child, or something of similarly personally catastrophic nature. I’ve have searched endlessly and can not recovery any pieces of information regarding the marriage of D & D or any information regarding anything inside the history of this family. It could be completely plausible that somehow, some way, something happened inside this family during periods of separation that lead to the sister in-law becoming pregnant and one of the cousins’s actually being a sister to Diane’s children. Possible that this information was discovered previous to the camping trip in at one point the adults made a mature decision to leave the past in the past and move forward for the best interest of the all the children and that burden of carrying that secret was too much for Diane. Maybe while at the camp ground Diane watching all the children playing together and then looking at a man she loves – something broke inside of her and she carefully devised the plan and maybe she was the one calling all the “traveling home” shots and that fully explains why her husband was alone in the truck. She wanted him to live with their blood on his hands.

Diane Schuler could have stopped so many times before she caused all this mayhem and death. In fact, she passively tried to stop herself on at least two occasions. The first was early on with the erratic and impatient driving (which at that point I believe it was rage that was causing her to driving that way – not the alcohol at that time.) and the second time when she called her brother. Yet, notice the pattern. When she was “visible” at the campground and at McDonalds she made sure to put on a good face and stay focused on her liberation. When she was “invisible” in the car and in the conversation with her brother, she was passively, but consciously crying for someone to stop her.
    On last thing I’d like to point out here, is that I truly and whole heartily think that Diane’s autopsy coming back with Pot and Alcohol in her system was just a catalyst for this cover up. I belief that her family knows exactly what drover her to this point of insanity and walked around for days sick. Sick at the lost of their children, wife, sister, friend and positively ill knowing that it was rooted on them and that not only was she going to be shamed – the whole family was going to be shamed and brought down. I think Diane’s position with her company financially enabled these people to pay how they needed to spin out via media that the alcohol and drugs were found in her system and then to re-spin it like that was the “BIG DIRTY SECRET” that they don’t want out – hence fooling everything to focus on the drinking and not the real issue.
    I for one minute do not believe this woman was an FA or and alcoholic of any sort. I think she was a very depressed and emotionally tormented woman with a touch of narcissism that in her state wanted out and wanted, what in her mind was justice. I believe that even with her grand delusions being in that state of mind ~ she needed to enable the inability to change her mind. I believe she was drunk and high and I believe that was just to get her to the “other side” so to speak. If you want to know what, how, when, where and why … someone will need to dig a little in to those families’ closet.
    Last edited by RaRaRamona; 07-17-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: removed OT paragraph