Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5121314

Thread: Wrong-way driver causes 8 deaths in New York. Diane Schuler

Also Diane could have been also drinking prior to them leaving the campground. She could have gotten up early and started sneaking drinks. No one knows 100 percent if she did or didn't. Sure her family and friends are going to say she wasn't but I doubt they would admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    ITA. I DO NOT condone driving high, but I have done it and like you said I seemed to be more aware of my surroundings and hypersensitive to everything. It was the alcohol.
    I agree with both of you. However, combine the two and it's a WHOLE NEW BALLGAME!
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin

genepher Guest
    Such a tragedy one... over speed causes this kind of sad situation.. Careful in while driving..

n2labs Guest
    I just finished reading "I'll See You Again" and also watched the HBO documentary "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" again. I can't help it, but I just keep going over everything to see what else I can find out. When watching the documentary, the men who helped out at the crash were interviewed. It appears that they were the first persons to reach the burning car. One guy said he had to break out the passenger window and unlock the door to get everyone out. They also said they didn't see Diane at first as the front of the vehicle was so fully engulfed in flames, but when they opened that passenger door she fell out onto their feet. They went on to say they found the children piled on top of each other in the back and they started lifting each one of them out and lying them in the grass. Later, a fireman (I think actually the fire chief) reported that several of the children had been ejected from the car. Also, "Aunt Jay" says that Bryan related he had "flown out of the car like superman." I don't understand the contradiction here. Were the children ejected from the car or were they all piled up in the mini van as the men at the scene claimed? Maybe one or two were ejected and the others were in the car, but the men in the docu spoke as if they were ALL in the van and they removed each of them placing them on the ground. Maybe the fireman (who would have arrived minutes later) saw them on the ground and just assumed they had been ejected. Does anyone know what really transpired?

n2labs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    I gotta say...I appreciate your assessment, and it's pretty damned plausible. I think the one puzzle piece that no one wants to touch is the fact that she took the children with her.

I'm curious about your take on Diane's (reportedly) determined facial expression as she drove the wrong way to her fiery death. Do you think she was doing the under-the-influence self-talk control thing of "Maintain, maintain, maintain"? Do you think she was hoping to disable/kill herself in a wreck while the kids would somehow be left miraculously unharmed (unlikely, now that I'm typing it)? Or was she just dead-set on suicide/homicide?
    I think that at the time she entered the Taconic going in the wrong direction, she was basically almost comatose. I think it was almost like someone walking (driving) in their sleep. I think by this point she didn't even know she was in the world, much less driving a car. I think that is why she had the determined facial expression. A person "sleep walking" would have this type of expression - no emotion, not panicked, eyes fixed and determined looking. I really don't think this was a suicide/homicide mission. I think she was just totally out of it at that point and as I said almost comatose. Up to this point, while she was still somewhat coherent, she was trying to control the situation, but by the time she entered the freeway she was completely out of it. In the documentary it shows a chart where at .21 BAC you are unconscious. She was at .19 which is not far from that state. If the alcohol they found in her stomach had had time to absorb into her system I think she would have passed out/gone unconscious behind the wheel at that point. Unfortunately, she had not reached that point yet and was still driving and hence the accident occurred. Of course, if she had passed out at the wheel, there would have probably been an accident anyway.

n2labs Guest
    Another thing I just don't understand is why, if for four years Diane had a tooth bothering her, she didn't ask the dentist to PUT HER TO SLEEP and work on the tooth so she could get it fixed. It just makes no sense to me. As far as I know, any dentist will put you under if you request it and if you pay for it. To me, she made enough money to pay for anesthesia and this would have mitigated any fear or pain she might feel while in the dental chair as she would be knocked out.

I also agree with Mr. L's YouTube video "I know What Was Wrong With Aunt Diane." I also wish she had had a fender bender with one of the cars she was tailgating as I think that would have at least saved all of the children's lives. I also wish that when Warren Hance spoke with Emma on the phone he had told her that if your aunt tries to make you and the girls get back in the car, just run from her. Run towards some other people and ask them to phone me. DO NOT get back in the car with your aunt even if you have to run away from her. I'm sure he and Jackie have thought the very same thing, though. Hindsight is always 20/20. At that point, I'm sure they didn't think Diane would drive off and I'm sure Warren thought that she would stay put until he got there.

Interesting. I didn't realize she was almost passing-out-drunk. I guess for her sake I hope she was nearly comatose, but again, completely awful about the kids.

Very illogical that she didn't get her tooth properly taken care of. I've met many people who have done similar things for various reasons: no money (not just that, but spending their money on *other* things, whereas most of us would put a rotting tooth or major health concern as a top priority); fear of medical/dental care (going to the dentist); a form of denial (a friend lost his wife to breast cancer because she didn't want to acknowledge the pain...by the time he made her go to the doctor, her flesh was being eaten away and it was too late); etc. Makes no sense to me, but astonishingly, I keep hearing one example after another of such avoidance.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I'm comfortable, if you can call it that, with the thought that she was blitzed out of her mind, and basically driving on autopilot (albeit incorrectly) at a certain point, but the odd thing in all this is she didn't seem to be someone who habitually got blitzed and drove semi-comatose. But for some reason, this one time she did, and with tragic results. Unless maybe there was something to the 'painful tooth' story, and she was self-medicating herself.

Mammy Guest
    IMO, she was self medicating and the tooth story was invented by Daniel and Jay as an excuse for why she would drive a van load of kids while she was high and shit faced drunk. It makes them feel better to have a "reason" for what she did. Every time they open their mouths and make excuses for Diane, it is a slap in the face to the Bastardi and Longo families.

I am currently reading the latest collection of short stories by Stephen King,Bazaar of Bad Dreams He writes a paragraph or two about whatever inspired each short story. One tale is based on Diane Schuler' s infamous accident. King wonders how and when she ingested the alcohol and pot. He also questions how Diane' s clueless hubby did not know about her drinking. King muses that perhaps Diane kept the alcohol and pot usage a secret, saying that addicts are very good at covering their tracks. He said the short story was his way of finding closure. That said, I am going to read this story.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I am currently reading the latest collection of short stories by Stephen King,Bazaar of Bad Dreams He writes a paragraph or two about whatever inspired each short story. One tale is based on Diane Schuler' s infamous accident. King wonders how and when she ingested the alcohol and pot. He also questions how Diane' s clueless hubby did not know about her drinking. King muses that perhaps Diane kept the alcohol and pot usage a secret, saying that addicts are very good at covering their tracks. He said the short story was his way of finding closure. That said, I am going to read this story.
    I personally don't believe Diane's husband when he denied her weed and alcohol use.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

navallint Guest
    He knew, I think he supplied it, and that laid a basis for his denial and guilt. IIRC, she was ocd about housework, and it really bugged him. He tried very hard to get to be more laid-back.

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    He knew, I think he supplied it, and that laid a basis for his denial and guilt. IIRC, she was ocd about housework, and it really bugged him. He tried very hard to get to be more laid-back.
    I agree. I just try and imagine how terrified those poor kids must have been and it breaks my heart.
    Minerva

Something that has always seemed sketchy to me after reading the police report was that her brother claimed to have his wife contact both the Terrytown and Sleepy Hollow police departments for help, and he even claimed to go to the Terrytown police Department, but neither department has any record of it, and no one could corroborate. I realize they are probably tiny departments with probably a somewhat lax approach to things, but it makes me wonder if the phone call with the kids crying, her acting all wasted etc...didn't go quite the way that they claim. Maybe her brother or sister in law gave her some bad news, or pissed her off, or otherwise treated her like crap. Maybe she called to bitch about her husband and they told her to stop acting like a baby. I'm not disputing the fact that she was all sideways drunk when it happened, but I really question why she was.

Has anyone seen or heard about how the son (Bryan?) is doing? I would like to think that he is living with anyone but his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Has anyone seen or heard about how the son (Bryan?) is doing? I would like to think that he is living with anyone but his father.
    At the time of the HBO documentary he was living with his dad (Daniel) and his new stepmom (Creepazoid). I assume he still is. A lawsuit was filed in his name though by some sketchy lawyer though that was recently settled. It basically said that a contributing factor to the accident was poor layout of the highway by the New York DPS. Completely asinine and I'm sure his dad and jangly-ass stepmom got the payday the were looking for. I personally hope that kid grows up to be the king of Long Island.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Thanks,Miraculous. I saw the documentary, but I swear I don't remember Danny getting remarried. I must be getting senile.

This story still haunts me I guess because of all the unanswered questions, such as why and what happened. I thought about getting the book that the two girls mom wrote, I'll be seeing you, I think. Anyone that read it, will it be worth getting?

luckyinlove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    This story still haunts me I guess because of all the unanswered questions, such as why and what happened. I thought about getting the book that the two girls mom wrote, I'll be seeing you, I think. Anyone that read it, will it be worth getting?
    I got the book for $1 at a used book store. Haven't read it yet.

I went to Amazon to look for the book by the girls' mother, and found one written by the son of one of the male victims named Bastardi:

Entitled "The Taconic Tragedy."

The headlines that rocked the world now a gripping new book with all the details that kept the public intrigued. "Wrong way Mom Drunk and High". A heartwrenching account of a son's search for answers into the accident that took the lives of his father and brother along with five others. A case of deceipt, lies, and denials. Accounts taken from actual police reports, witness statements, depositions, and investigators.Takes a look at the failure of the justice system and the making of a cover up. An eye opener for all.
    visit taconictragedy.us

I read most of my books on my Kindle and if you have Amazon's kindle app, you can read for free.

Here's one by Jackie Hance, also free with Kindle app:

http://www.amazon.com/Ill-See-Again-...=Diane+Schuler
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    IMO, she was self medicating and the tooth story was invented by Daniel and Jay as an excuse for why she would drive a van load of kids while she was high and shit faced drunk. It makes them feel better to have a "reason" for what she did. Every time they open their mouths and make excuses for Diane, it is a slap in the face to the Bastardi and Longo families.
    Thank you! I am so frigging tired of hearing about a tooth. I remember when this happened at the time and then forgot the story until I watched the documentary last month and I have to say I have watched is several times. Any time Dan Schuler comes on camera I cringe and it's hard to watch this asshole. I think he is a selfish person who only cared about himself and still does, he really doesn't even talk about the daughter he lost and we all know now how he never wanted any children and is angry that he has to care for one now that Diane is gone. I do think that she was good at hiding her alcohol problem and it was getting worse. She was fed up with raising a grown man and for the life of me you would think they would have followed each other. What man would leave his wife alone to travel with 5 kids in the car? What if she had a flat tire or something? Just a selfish pig he is and I feel so badly for poor Bryan and I hope his is doing well and that his Aunt is raising him. I do think she was fed up that morning with all of the responsibility and him caring so little about things. I think she started drinking after she left McD's and thought maybe one or two would help with the drive and she consumed way more than she should have. I do not think she committed suicide, I think she was driving in a black out drunk and the terror the older kids must have felt is heartbreaking. Again, this is just my speculation.

navallint Guest
    I stumbled across some photos of the wreck, and of Diane on the ground dead. She looks really swollen/bloated. I'm not sure if this from dying or alcohol. I know she was heavy woman, but other photos don't make her to be as large as these death photos. Anyone, thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/ntYSA
    Last edited by navallint; 04-07-2017 at 12:55 PM.

I wish "Trauna: Life in the ER" was around and recording when that trick decided to destroy a bunch of little humans. Every shred of evidence points toward her being an absolutely selfish superbitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

The HBO doc is now on Youtube. The husband Daniel is an idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNkWNJiH1k

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    The HBO doc is now on Youtube. The husband Daniel is an idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNkWNJiH1k
    I loved the part where they explain her weed use as "Oh she would do it at the end of the night when everything was done." Well, did she ever talk about her marijuana use? "Well... no." Then who are you to say? And they want ANOTHER autopsy? F*ck off.

Just by the look on the face of the husband and the way he acts, he knows something or feels guilty about something.

She was drunk and high. End of story. And if they want to blame being in pain for getting intoxicated? That still makes her a horrible human being.
    Last edited by beep; 04-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Well, you ever had one of those days when you start looking around the net, and the next thing you know, you have gone down the rabbit hole like an express elevator? That was me today.

I watched the Doc again. Read the reports. Looked at pics. Now I'm gonna throw my two cents into the fountain.

IMHO, I think Diane & Daniel had way too many problems. They were both unhappy. She coped with drugs & alcohol. She probably was a secret drinker. They probably both had affairs. He seems like a selfish SOB. But they both put on happy faces and this facade of "Look! Everything is great with us! Perfect marriage, great kids, we have the life I've always dreamed of!!"
    Before I looked at her autopsy report, I was thinking that maybe she had a stroke or some type of cerebral event. (Well, she did have an event, but because of the crash, not the cause of the crash.) Now I don't know. I do have a thought that maybe, deep down, she was really fucking unhappy and decided to end it all right then that morning. And she didn't care who was with her in the car. She just didn't care. It may seem like a reach, but it might have just a little truth in it.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Diane Schuler the Taconic Parkway Tragedy

I did do a search & did not see it but was browsing throug& my true crime youtube station & saw this creepy, deranged, scary, bizarre, real life tragedy.
    Gave me goosebumps.

Diane Schuler was driving her 3 nieces & nephews 70 MPH in the wrong lane of a highway. People said she was high on weed/or intoxicated but others say she was completely fine.

I want to post youtube on it but i am usimg my Tablet. If anyone can reply & I wanna see photos too. 2009

https://allthatsinteresting.com/diane-schuler
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tiffany there is a thread on this and I think you posted in there, I have merged the threads. It was actually her three nieces and her son, you can actually google this and the photos will come up and you can also see her dead body. There is a show on Net Flix or was at one time called There is Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 05-10-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Tiffany there is a thread on this and I think you posted in there, I have merged the threads. It was actually her three nieces and her son, you can actually google this and the photos will come up and you can also see her dead body. There is a show on Net Flix or was at one time called There is Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.
    It was HBO I think but it is still avaliable on YT. I watched it a few times and every time, I want to reach into the screen and smack Danny around the head.

Ah okay thanks Sellc, couldn't remember who had it.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Oh jeeze I hope not. They are say 30 minutes elapsed and they went about 18 miles between the call and the crash. They dedicated several pages to the funeral today. The father of the three kids killed, brother of the driver and uncle of her 2 year old who was killed and her son who is recovering gave an incredibly moving eulogy.
    Exerpts here
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/ny...31funeral.html
    Regards,
    Mary
    It had to be mad expensive with 5 coffins & hearses

The vehicle #3 that was involved, hit.... those ppl survive??

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    The vehicle #3 that was involved, hit.... those ppl survive??
    From what I can remember, there really wasn't much mentioned about them apart from the fact it was just minor injuries. I'm not even sure their names were released.

I am confused I am watching the HBO documentary and husband Daniel says he got a call from someone the police, werent they all going from the camp site? The dad and dog made it home first and assumed that Diane was straight behind him???

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I am confused I am watching the HBO documentary and husband Daniel says he got a call from someone the police, werent they all going from the camp site? The dad and dog made it home first and assumed that Diane was straight behind him???
    I think the decision to stop off at McDonalds was made after they went their separate ways but you can never be sure as Danny has been caught out lying about a few things over the years. One example being when he claimed she never really drunk only to backtrack when the vodka bottle was found and admit they were drinking at the camp site and friends also said she went drinking most nights after work, her drink of choice being a screwdriver. It was the same when they found out she had recently smoked a joint. He originally claimed she didn't only for her sister in law Jay to come clean and admit she did most nights after she put the kids to bed to relax and when he finally admitted it, he said it was for pain.

Don't know if this question has been asked and/or answered so I will do it again to see if I can get a response about it because I really am curious. Some sources say that the kids died instantly and others say they were alive but barely and died in the hospital. Do we know which one it was? I know Diane probably died instantly.

I think one died at the hospital and another one died instantly.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia though I'm not sure exactly how correct it is. Everybody but one of the nieces (not sure which) died instantly.

It also looks like none of the children were wearing seatbelts. If they were do you think that could have survived somehow? Just this September me and my mother got into a car accident where due to stress she wasn't sleeping and fell asleep at the wheel and we plowed ass-first into a telephone pole and knocked it down. The front end was COMPLETELY smashed and all caved in. Me and my mother were wearing seatbelts and only had bruised ribs from them. Probably NOT as bad as smashing into an SUV with your van but it was still severe enough that all 8 airbags (2015 Toyota Corolla) came out (none of them touched me surprisingly.) Not sure if any of them needed help buckling up but I can see that they probably weren't belted because if your thrown like that obviously you were not restrained.

Quick addendum: the driver that caused the crash on the Tappan Zee bridge Michael Schechel died in 2018. I THINK this might be him possibly.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...hechel-8094716