Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Celebrities who died while working or at the peak of their fame

ajlposh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    Farley was in talks to play in the story of Fatty Arbuckle. I would have loved to have seen that one.
    John Belushi and John Candy were also in talks for the same role at the times of their deaths

KarmaKat Guest
    Wow never knew Chris Farley was suppose to be Shrek.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    John Belushi and John Candy were also in talks for the same role at the times of their deaths

Wonder why that project has never come to fruition huh? Everyone that gets near it keels over.

Quote Originally Posted by Flmlvr View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say Carmen Miranda. She was on live television on The Jimmy Durante Show when her heart attack started. If you watch "Bananas Is My Business", check out the last recorded image of Carmen a few hours before she died and tell me if that isn't eerie. It sure is to me.
    It is eerie. I remember seeing a special about her on PBS. Carmen is dancing then stumbles and falls. It's apparent something is wrong but she tries to continues and finish her dance. Durante also tries to help her continue but she was having a heart attack.

DrDeath Guest
    Ayrton Senna died during the San Marino Grand Prix after an horrific crash, live on TV. Twenty four hours earlier Austrian driver Roland Ratzenberger also died during qualifying for that race.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4b...n-sennas_sport

Nearly choked on my coffee when that happened. Mind you motorsport has had it's fair share of them. Gilles Villenueve was killed during a race and Graham Hill killed in a helicopter crash returning from a race meeting in France.

Also note that in rally driving two legends Colin McRae (plane crash alongside his young son and his friend) and Richard Burns (brain tumour) took far too young. These two had some terrific rivalries.

Marc Vivien Foe was an African footballer who died on the field of play of a heart attack. Miklos Fehrer was a Hungarian player who also died shortly after being booked during a match also of cardiac arrest. This video is unbearably sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXPy...eature=related

Nodar Kumaritashvil was a Georgian luger who died of massive injuries after a 90mph crash into a steel bar at the Winter Olympics 2010 in Canada. His funeral video is v v sad and more than a bit bizarre to us in the west. YouTube it if you're not afraid of the dead body of a man in a casket being paraded trophy like through the streets of a Soviet village. His mother's grief is almost unbearably poignant.
    Last edited by DrDeath; 04-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.

slw Guest
    Melanie Thornton formerly of LaBouche and 2 member of europop band Passion Fruit died in the CrossAir plane crash.

Melanie Thornton. you'll recognise this from the coca cola ads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiBoWNo6xDs

Passion Fruit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItfaH...eature=related

slw Guest
    I forgot to say that the Melanie Thornton video shows her singing during a concert in Leipzig Germany on November 24th 2001 (where she's wearing a hat). Later that day she boarded the Cross Air flight.

orionova Guest
    Saw a car the other day that had a sticker on it that read: "When in doubt, go flat out." Which is a quote from Colin McRae. My BF and I were watching the WRC Rally de Portugal last night, and I quote Colin, just as the driver being interviewed about his plans for the section they were about to drive said he was going to drive flat out. It cracked us both up. Colin would have been proud.

grapeape Guest
    OrsonWelles. Appeared on some TV show in the afternoon, went home and died.

Elvis Presley, died in the middle of a concert chain, next concert in Portland Me, scheduled 1 day after his death.
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

James Dean and River Phoenix are the first ones that come to my mind.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I have recently acquired a DVD set of the first season of CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? It is my second favorite sitcom of all time (TAGS is first). While doing some research about the cast I found out that Joe E. Ross (Officer Gunther Toody) died while performing on stage. Joe's pal Rodney Dangerfield said that Joe was such a whoremaster that when he died all the whores on Sunset wore their panties at half mast. OOOOOOH OOOOOOOH!
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Soonerson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I have recently acquired a DVD set of the first season of CAR 54 WHERE ARE YOU? It is my second favorite sitcom of all time (TAGS is first). While doing some research about the cast I found out that Joe E. Ross (Officer Gunther Toody) died while performing on stage. Joe's pal Rodney Dangerfield said that Joe was such a whoremaster that when he died all the whores on Sunset wore their panties at half mast. OOOOOOH OOOOOOOH!

DrDeath Guest
    Hahaha that made me splutter coffee everywhere!

Ric2F Guest
    There are about 200 pro wrestlers dying way too soon.

Has anyone mentioned Michael Hutchence
    Hutchence and INXS went on a world tour to support the April 1997 release of Elegantly Wasted, both the album and its related singles had less chart success.[1] The final leg of their 20th anniversary tour was to be in Australia in November and December. However, on the morning of 22 November 1997, Hutchence, aged 37, was found dead in Room 524 at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Double Bay, Sydney.[1][39]
    On 6 February 1998, after an autopsy and coronial inquest, New South Wales State Coroner, Derrick Hand, presented his report which ruled that Hutchence's death was a suicide while depressed and under the influence of drugs and alcohol:[39]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hutchence

bela lugosi Guest
    Ian Curtis lead singer of UK indie band Joy Division commited suicide by hanging the night before flying oversea on the bands first US tour. Terrible tragedy for such a young talented guy.Brilliant band.

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredMirror View Post
    I've just read the first review of this on the Aint-It-Cool website. And it's supposed to be brilliant. This and Bruno are the movies I'm looking forward too this summer.
    I think the other one is Colin Farrell (sp)...They donated their salary to Matilda Rose.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Quote Originally Posted by a clever sheep View Post
    Harry "Parkyakarkus" Einstein died while performing at a Friar's Club roast honoring Lucy and Desi November 24, 1958. He had a fatal heart attack and slumped over onto Milton Berle's lap. Harry was Albert Brooks' father. Alexander Woolcott had a heart attack on a radio show 1/23/1943 and died that night. Also fatally stricken while performing: Nelson Eddy, Irene Ryan, Grover Washington, Jr. and legendary stunt pilot Paul Mantz.
    Why bump an old thread? Found a video of the crash that killed Paul Mantz during the filming of "Flight of the Phoenix" (the 1965 version not that 2004 POC). Hope it is not posted elsewhere but a search of "Paul Mantz" only turned up this thread. While there was a death involved in this video, there are no graphic "blood & guts" visible. Still, watch at your own discretion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82nN...eature=related
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

I remember the case of Sel... (the singer whose name rhymes with Subpoena): she died when she was recording a disc in english. Her disc in english made her more famous.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

I'm sure someone has already mentioned the late, great Heath Ledger. Still sad over that one...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Cretin Guest
    I'd say Bradley Nowell from Sublime who died of a heroin overdose 2 months before the release of Sublime's big self title album wich had many hits Santeria , What I Got , Wrong Way , Doin' Time , Caress Me Down and more such a shame wish he was aroung long enough to to atleast enjoy a little bit of Sublime's success.

Town Without Pity Guest
    Shhessh, I could go on and on.....I'm sure I'll be here again to finish my list....here is tonights list....

Heath Ledger - Sigh...he's just to damn cute...Ok, I admit it, I the old grandma loved Heath Ledger....lol
    Bruce & Brandon Lee - Both great talents.
    Cass Elliott - Just away to soon.
    Karen Carpenter - To many issues for her, poor thing. She was a song bird living a sad life.
    Dirk Blocker (?) - Hoss? - I just wanted to hug the big lug.
    Carmen Miranda - have seen that clip,looks like me walking to my car while having my heart attack...Poor Carmen and she kept going...what a trooper.
    Ayrton Senna - Formula One Driver
    Greg Moore - Indy Car Driver
    Phil Hartman - I loved him, he was the best. Such a sad story.
    John Belusih -Had a bad monkey on his back...The talent...such a waste
    Natalie Wood - loved her in every movie she made....Even Brainstorm.
    James Dean -I have a shrine in a small corner of my house....lol..so that bums me out..lol
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - best guitariest Ever.
    Patsy Cline - singer
    Davey Allison -nascar driver

Died While On Tour

Suprised I didn't see Hank Williams on here. I apologize if he is and I missed him! Since he had 35 singles and five were released posthumously I think he falls in this category.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hank_Williams_autograph.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	41747

On December 31, 1952, Williams was scheduled to perform at the Municipal Auditorium in Charleston, West Virginia. Advance ticket sales totaled US$3,500 (equivalent to $30,600 in 2012). Because of an ice storm in the Nashville area, Williams could not fly, so he hired a college student, Charles Carr, to drive him to the concerts. Carr called the Charleston auditorium from Knoxville to say that Williams would not arrive on time owing to the ice storm and was ordered to drive Williams to Canton, Ohio for the New Year's Day concert there.

They arrived at the Andrew Johnson Hotel in Knoxville, Tennessee, where Carr requested a doctor for Williams, as he was feeling the combination of the chloral hydrate and alcohol he had drunk on the way from Montgomery to Knoxville. Dr. P.H. Cardwell injected Williams with two shots of vitamin B12 that also contained a quarter-grain of morphine. Carr and Williams checked out of the hotel, the porters had to carry Williams to the car, as he was coughing and hiccupping. At around midnight on January 1, 1953, when they crossed the Tennessee state line and arrived in Bristol, Virginia, Carr stopped at a small all-night restaurant and asked Williams if he wanted to eat. Williams said he did not, and those are believed to be his last words.

Carr later drove on until he stopped for fuel at a gas station in Oak Hill, West Virginia, where he noticed Williams asleep in the back seat; he was unresponsive and his body was becoming rigid. Feeling Williams's pulse, Carr immediately realized that he was dead. Carr informed the filling station's owner, Glenn Burdette, who called the chief of the local police, O.H. Stamey. Because a corpse was involved, Stamey called in radio officer Howard Janney. Stamey and Janney found some empty beer cans and the unfinished handwritten lyrics to a song yet to be recorded in the Cadillac convertible.
    From Wikipedia

Name:	hank-williams-death-car.12460.large_slideshow.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	41748

Kind of surreal that he passed on while Charles Carr was driving, I wonder how long he drove pre-corpse/post-passenger? I also wonder what the handwritten lyrics were? Kinda neat that Charles heard Hank's last words and he did not want to eat. I also read "..that, apparently unrelated to his death, Williams had also been severely kicked in the groin during a fight in a Montgomery bar a few days earlier in which he had also injured his left arm, which was subsequently bandaged."

That evening, when the announcer at Canton announced Williams's death to the gathered crowd, they started laughing, thinking that it was just another excuse. After Hawkshaw Hawkins and other performers started singing "I Saw the Light" as a tribute to Williams, the crowd, now realizing that he was indeed dead, followed them.

Name:	Hank's Grave.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	41750

Surprisingly there was/is some controversy surrounding his death:

Name:	HANK_WILLIAMS_DEATH_CERTIFICATE.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	41749

The circumstances of Williams's death are still controversial, The result of the original autopsy indicated that Williams died of a heart attack. Author Collin Escott concluded in his book Hank Williams: The Biography that the cause of death was the mixture of the combination of alcohol, morphine and chloral hydrate.

I've seen Hank Williams's grandson Hank III and The Damn Band a number of times over the last few years and the resemblance really is uncanny. His shows are always high octane, high energy, genuine, long and really quite a lot of fun. Besides looking like his grandpop (who IMO was an incredibly good lookin' fella in his day; see below) his country music and his voice have an ambient, haunting, lonesome mood that sounds like good ol' country music used to sound. I think luckily, it's probably in the genes!

Name:	Hank+Williams+hankwilliamsthebiography.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	41751
    Hey good lookin'!!
    Last edited by Melisscious; 03-20-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: I'm a bit anal retentive eh.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Melisscious View Post
    Posted a lot of good stuff about Hank Williams
    Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a physician (everybody now!) . . . my mother is very dissapointed in me.

A persistant dry cough can be a sign of congestive heart failure and maybe other heart problems as well. That would fit.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretin View Post
    I'd say Bradley Nowell from Sublime who died of a heroin overdose 2 months before the release of Sublime's big self title album wich had many hits Santeria , What I Got , Wrong Way , Doin' Time , Caress Me Down and more such a shame wish he was aroung long enough to to atleast enjoy a little bit of Sublime's success.
    I was going to say that too. So sad. If I remember correctly, he had literally just gotten married the week before and had a very small son.

Also, to all of those who brought up Carmen Miranda, she was so beautiful and talented! I saw her biography on A&E and the scene where she's performing and falls to her knees is so sad and scary. I thought she was gorgeous beyond words.

still love him still miss him

Arky67 Guest
    Health and fitness guru Jerome Rodale died after interview while still on the set of the Dick Cavett show, June 5, 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Heath Ledger died during the filming of The Imaginarum of Dr. Parnassus... it has thankfully been finished with other actors including Johnny depp and Jude Law stepping in.. cannot wait to see it - although it will be sad
    I can't see it. I just can't.

Bayou Queen Guest
    John Lennon was coming home from the recording studio when MDC shot and killed him outside the Dakota.

Hmmm, let's see...

• Italian soccer coach Franco Scoglio died while live on a TV program:

• British actor Gareth Jones suffered a heart attack in the middle of the live TV drama play "Underground" in 1958 (back-stage between scenes). His character in the play was... supposed to die of a heart attack!

• British actor Patrick Wymark was to be guest on an Australian TV variety show in 1970, he didn't show up. The host and one of the other guests (all of whom had worked together) joked on-air about him being passed out on the floor of his hotel room, drunk. He WAS lying on the floor of his hotel room - dead of a heart attack...

• Actor Bill Stalker was in the tail-end (one day left) of taping his final scenes in the Aussie cop soapie "Cop Shop" when he was killed in a motorcycle accident in November 1981.

• When "Dragnet" transferred from radio to TV in 1951, stars Jack Webb & Barton Yarborough went with it. Yarborough only appeared in two episodes, dying of a heart attack four days after completing the second episode.

• John Cazale filmed his part in "The Deer Hunter" while dying of cancer.

• A local radio icon (in Melbourne, Australia), Cliff "Nicky" Whitta signed off from his daily radio show one Friday in September 1956, and died of a heart attack the next day.

• Here's weird one: an Australian TV performer named Chris Christensen died during production of the kid's series "Video Village" in 1966. in 1968, an Australian actor named Chris Christensen died during production of the local drama series "Riptide". Neither death actually occurred on-set (they died while the shows themselves were in production, but their deaths weren't connected with the programs in any way).

• A promising young actor / comic named Lance Curtis died mid-way through production of the TV series "Dancing Daze" in 1985, after falling from a balcony at a party.

• Legendary local rock singer-turned-TV presenter Graeme "Shirley" Strachan was killed in a helicopter accident in 2001, while a presenter on lifestyle show "Our House".

• Singer Noel Widerburg was leader of a popular Aussie vocal group, The Delltones. They were charting well, and had just signed on as regulars in a music program called "Singalong" (appearing in the first four or so episodes) when Widerburg was killed in a car accident in July 1962.

Here's another: Cameraman Frank Parnell was killed in December 1966 (along with his producer, and the pilot) while shooting footage of Sydney Harbour for the TV series "Breakaways", when the helicopter he was in had a tail rotor failure, crashing through the roof of a building. He kept his camera running all the way down, while a camera crew on the ground also caught it:

The actual helicopter (VH-AHF) appears in the pilot episode of "Skippy", shot only a few weeks (at most) before the accident. In another episode of "Skippy", what appears to be the same helicopter is shown, crashing in a manner very similar to the real-life crash - and a wrecked helicopter is featured, which may be the actual wreckage!

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keats View Post
    Here's another: Cameraman Frank Parnell was killed in December 1966 (along with his producer, and the pilot) while shooting footage of Sydney Harbour for the TV series "Breakaways", when the helicopter he was in had a tail rotor failure, crashing through the roof of a building. He kept his camera running all the way down, while a camera crew on the ground also caught it:

The actual helicopter (VH-AHF) appears in the pilot episode of "Skippy", shot only a few weeks (at most) before the accident. In another episode of "Skippy", what appears to be the same helicopter is shown, crashing in a manner very similar to the real-life crash - and a wrecked helicopter is featured, which may be the actual wreckage!
    That was wild! Starts out with the classical music, then the way the music cut and they were in a tailspin. Erie!

I couldn't read through all of these posts because I'm hormonel and it would make me too sad and start crying. (I'm such a schlep!).

There are just so many who left us too soon. John Candy is the first to come to mind. After he died, I remember seeing Richard Lewis interviewed (who was in Wagons East with him when he died) and he told the interviewer he couldn't talk about it because it just broke his heart. Millions of hearts broke when John Candy passed.

Yesterday I heard "Never Tear us Apart" on the radio and it reminded me of Michael Hutchence. What a shame.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

harlequin_clown Guest
    Some people don't feel he was a celebrity, but I do. Ryan Dunn, was just 34 and had a brilliant career ahead of him when he crashed his porsche and pretty much burnt to death, along with friend/passenger Zach Hartwell June of 2011. I still have a hard time with this one, so sad and senseless.

Name:	ryan-dunn-77-281x211.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	44156

Great list Keats!

wolfpackfanforlife23 Guest
    Fran Crippen, a swimmer who died in October, 2010, while swimming in an open water race in Dubai. He was considered to be a leading contender for the Olympics, and was only 26.

NuJerzeegurl Guest
    Hi there, first time poster here and this thread has got me up way past my bedtime.

I'm pretty sure I have not seen these mentioned...I apologize for any repeats.

Jessica Savitch the NBC news anchor who died in a car accident.

Phyllis Hyman, R&B singer who committed suicide just hours before her appearance at the Apollo Theater.

Otis Redding, R&B singer died in a plane crash just 3 days after recording The Dock of the Bay.

Paul Winfield actor who also narrated the tv show City Confidential at the time of his death, heart attack.

Adolph Caesar actor who suffered a heart attack while filming the movie Tough Guys, he also appeared in The Color Purple and Soldier's Story.

Aaliyah, R&B singer/actress died in plane crash in the Bahamas after completing a video shoot.

Tupac Shakur actor/rapper shot and died days later as a result of a drive by.

Notorious Big rapper shot and killed shortly before his second album titled Life After Death was released.

Joee Guest
    In honor of November 10th, GySgt John Basilone. Quite the celebrity in 1945.

Heather O'rourke died from an x-ray misread but she had been taking Cortizone. Is this healthy for a 12- year-old? Heather died from septic shock as a result from her intestines becoming too full; Septic had gone into all of her organs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

41. 05-18-2017, 05:43 PM
    Reason
    Member perma banned

A young Australian singer named Cheryl Stroud was chosen as a regular in a new TV variety show in 1969 - she did the first episode, and was killed in a car accident a few nights later on her way home from a club performance.

A particularly sad one: young up-and-coming Aussie actor Jon Blake (being touted as "the next Mel Gibson") was on his way home from shooting the final scenes of the film "The Lighthorsemen" in 1986, when his car ran into the back of a parked vehicle. He suffered a catastrophic brain injury, and was conscious and aware, but unable to move or speak (basically could only communicate "yes" or "no" by blinking or using his thumb) until his death in 2011.

Brenda Benet. Ex wife of Bill Bixby was still working on Days of Our Lives when she shot herself. She had been depressed over the death of her only child with Bixby. She was 36.
    Lee Thompson Young. Main cast member of Rizzoli And Isles as Det. Barry Frost. Was found dead from a self inflicted gunshot after he failed to show up for work. He was 29.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Brenda Benet. Ex wife of Bill Bixby was still working on Days of Our Lives when she shot herself. She had been depressed over the death of her only child with Bixby. She was 36.
    Lee Thompson Young. Main cast member of Rizzoli And Isles as Det. Barry Frost. Was found dead from a self inflicted gunshot after he failed to show up for work. He was 29.
    Also she was once a girlfriend of Al Cowling the driver of
    OJ Simpson, when he was wanted for murder.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Also she was once a girlfriend of Al Cowling the driver of
    OJ Simpson, when he was wanted for murder.
    Thanks london ! That was something I did not know. I do remember reading about Brenda and how Bixby blamed her for their son's death. The sweet dad from The Courtship Of Eddie's Father was said to be a complete asshole in real life.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Dick Shawn was an amazing actor. He was really off-beat, but always enjoyable. He did such a great job in "The Producers," and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

47. 03-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Does Luke Perry count. He was doing Riverdale. Played Archie's dad.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Admin Cindy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    Does Luke Perry count. He was doing Riverdale. Played Archie's dad.
    He does.

OMG Mansfield, I didntknow that about Lee Thompson Young, I loved him on Rizzoli and Isles

A death hagg-y addition to the afore-mentioned death of singer Cheryl Stroud - she'd shot an acting role in a local drama series a month or so before her death; it went to air a fortnight after she died.

Final shot in the episode is of her getting into a car and driving away. The same car she was killed in...

Ricky Nelson come to mind.