Thread: Herk Harvey

Danny62 Guest

Herk Harvey

Colorado-born Herk Harvey majored in theater at Kansas University, directing and acting in stage productions and later returning to the school in a teaching capacity. He broke into the film business as an actor in some of the movies being made by Centron Corporation of Lawrence, Kansas, an educational and industrial film production company for which he subsequently went to work as a director. In 1961 he took a working vacation from Centron to try his hand at feature filmmaking, producing, directing and co-starring in the creepy horror film "Carnival of Souls", shot in Kansas and Utah.

Was the director of over four-hundred educational, industrial and documentary films made by Centron Productions in Lawrence, Kansas. Was born with the name of Harold, but the name he went by was Herk, which he used on all his work.

Conceived the original idea of his Carnival of Souls after seeing the abandoned Saltaire pavillion/park, located in Utah, and coincidentally the site became the setting for the film version of "Carnival of Souls".

Received a lifetime achievement award from a film institute in Kansas in 1989.

Herk Died in 1996 of pancreatic cancer

Herk as one of the zombies in Carnival of Souls

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    "Carnival of Souls"--a classic! LOVE the film, it still gives me the creeps!

Northern Lights Guest
    Carnival of Souls is an excellent film, I love it!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    "Carnival of Souls"--a classic! LOVE the film, it still gives me the creeps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Carnival of Souls is an excellent film, I love it!
    I watched the "Colorized" version last night...I know shame on me! I did it with audio commentary by Mike Nelson of SFT3000.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I watched the "Colorized" version last night...I know shame on me! I did it with audio commentary by Mike Nelson of SFT3000.
    I didn't know before about that version, I'm curious, I maybe check it out too

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I can't imagine that film in anything but good ol' black & white!

Northern Lights Guest
    I changed my mind after I saw the trailer I think I prefer black & white!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I can't imagine that film in anything but good ol' black & white!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I changed my mind after I saw the trailer I think I prefer black & white!

I know shame on me!!! Actually I prefer B&W but sometimes its fun to see what they look like colorized!

I think They did a good job on the colorization of Carnival of souls.

Guest Guest
    I also prefer the b/w version! Very spooky atmosphere! That photo of Herk with the white face is an iconic one! I first saw it when I was a youngster and loved it even then!

Danny62 Guest
    I love the shots of downtown Salt Lake in 1962! Its weird to see how different everything looks!!

I keep thinking I was about 2 months old when they were shooting "Carnival of Souls"