Location of death: Manhattan, NY [SIZE=-1][1][/SIZE]
    Cause of death: Illness

Religion: Roman Catholic
    Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: High priest in TRON
    Military service: US Army (WWII)
    Barnard Hughes was an American actor who had a long but little-noticed career until middle age, when he achieved success on stage. He had recurring roles on several long-running soap operas, including the Guiding Light and As the World Turns, and as he reached old age he became a familiar "Grandpa" on TV and in occasional films through the 1980s and 90s. Hughes was well into his senior citizenship when he starred in the short-lived prime-time sitcom Mr. Merlin, playing a magician who ran an auto repair shop. Ten years later, at the age of 76, he played "Grandpa Buzz" on Blossom.
    In films, he was hooker Jon Voight's last customer in Midnight Cowboy, Diana Rigg's father in The Hospital, the war-crazy Colonel in Where's Poppa?, and the vampire-hunting grandfather in The Lost Boys. Perhaps most memorably, Hughes played the High Priest in the early video game epic Tron.
    Hughes appeared in more than 400 plays, won the Tony in 1978 for the title role in Da, and reprised that role in a film version ten years later. His son, Doug Hughes, is a Broadway stage director who won the 2005 Tony for John Patrick Shanley's Pulitzer Prize-winning Doubt.

[SIZE=-1][1] New York Presbyterian Hospital. [/SIZE]
    Father: Owen Hughes
    Mother: Madge Hughes
    Wife: Helen Stenborg (stage actress, b. 1925, m. 1950, one son, one daughter)
    Son: Doug Hughes (stage director)
    Daughter: Laura Hughes (actress)

Jaxxx Guest
    He was so good at acting. Loved him as the Priest on Archie Bunker.

Kathyf Guest
    I remember him the most in All and the Family too.

SueWahoo Guest
    I just watched TRON and Barnard was interviewed on the extras disc. I thought: Wow, that guy's still alive?! Guess not...doh! TRON rocked my early teenaged world though.

Sue