Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lana Turner

Catwoman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    I saw both Imitations of life and I like the Lana Turner one better. Lana was beautiful.
    You are always so pleasant with your replies, I luv it!

Lana was absolutely gorgeous in The Postman Always Rings Twice, wow!

charlieinnj Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Rather unremarkable when you see it "in person"....disappointing for a major movie queen
    Yes, and no. For it's time this is a pretty sizable home.

SistaSara Guest

Lana's personal items

Just came across this on Ebay. Made me sad to think Cheryl is getting rid (trying to) of what Lana had left her.

http://stores.ebay.com/LANA-TURNER-ESTATE-PROPERTY

Not a great actor - but loved her in Madam X - wept buckets!!

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

I finally got to watch Imitation of Life all the way through the other night. What a beautiful movie. Just shows that the same parenting issues prevail throughout time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Handrejka Guest
    I love Imitation of Life. I have a great memory of watching this with mum and older brother one Sunday afternoon. Perfect film for that time of day.

I don't have a problem with Cheryl selling all that stuff. I did the same thing when I closed out my grandmother's estate. I kept the stuff that mattered to me (9 or 10 things) and sold everything else. I am sure that a pair of shoes may not hold memories for her, but would be a treasured collectable to a fan.

Plus, money in is better than paying storage fees!

$3 check?

Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    found this in my research:
    Three Dollars? I know three bucks went a bit further back then but $3 bucks? What did he do? Go get her a carton of smokes?

NOVSTORM Guest
    I don't thin she and Sherryl were that close in later years. When this happened my MOhter said they had found love letters that SHerryl had written to Johnny. I ahve no idea if it was true or not. I did wonder why they locked her up in Juvenile facility for what 4 years? or was it 2? My Mother read that confidential magazine LOL they ahd all the good shit in it. SOme people said the Lana did it and Sheryl took the rap so her Mother wouldn;t go to prison. I wondered about that too. I know her Dad would not let Lana see her for a long time and she did not want tos ee Lana either.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Lana liked it rough: Fernando Lamas, Artie Shaw, STOMPANATO
    Last edited by Lucy Furr; 06-20-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Just came across this on Ebay. Made me sad to think Cheryl is getting rid (trying to) of what Lana had left her.

Man oh man, I wish I had an extra $150 layin' around to get me a lil' sumthin' sumthin'!

I felt so badly for her daughter. I believe she was only trying to protect her mother.
    Last edited by Karma; 06-23-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Guest Guest
    I love Imitation of Life.... but Annie was the one who broke my heart as the long suffering mom

Well, CHERYL is about 65 years old now; she never had children. Maybe she believes that she'd like to see some of her mother's fans cherish some of these items.

Also keep in mind, to keep all of that stuff around gets tiresome particularly when it is very valuable because you have to keep it insured. Often the appraisal fee alone is 10% of whatever the value turns out to be. I think that at her age CHERYL is being pragmatic and downsizing.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I don't thin she and Sherryl were that close in later years. When this happened my MOhter said they had found love letters that SHerryl had written to Johnny. I ahve no idea if it was true or not. I did wonder why they locked her up in Juvenile facility for what 4 years? or was it 2? My Mother read that confidential magazine LOL they ahd all the good shit in it. SOme people said the Lana did it and Sheryl took the rap so her Mother wouldn;t go to prison. I wondered about that too. I know her Dad would not let Lana see her for a long time and she did not want tos ee Lana either.

That was another unsubstantiated rumor at the time, that being that the daughter was also romantically involved with STOMPANTO. The HAROLD ROBBINS novel based on the murder later turned into (a) bad movie WHERE LOVE HAS GONE plays out that angle that the daughter was also involved with the dead lover. The movie starred SUSAN HAYWARD as the main character; except here she's an unstable, reknowned sculptress in the movie instead of an actress. The daughter is played by 60s Sex Kitten JOEY HEATHERTON. HEATHERTON' entire visage screams 'Tease'; she looks like a 60s version of TRACY LORD.

JOEY from WHERE LOVE HAS GONE
    MIKE CONNORS (Mannix fame - played the father)

Watch me put out Daddy, I mean pout Daddy !

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Where Love Has Gone is an instant classic to enjoy again and again.

CSI_wannabe Guest
    i loved her in 'Imitation of Life' that was a great movie. i'll have to check that link out

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post

Lana's one true love was Tyrone Power.
    That Ty Power...he was on more than one actresses list of the "one that got away". Makes ya wonder

erictheking97 Guest
    correct me if I'm wrong, but i always thought it was common knowledge that Lana herself killed Stompanato, doesn't seem to be much speculation about it here or on the site itself!

Vamp Guest
    Whoever did kill him, I got the impression the homicide may have been justified. Didn't Johnny often beat Lana badly? Threaten her life?

erictheking97 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    Whoever did kill him, I got the impression the homicide may have been justified. Didn't Johnny often beat Lana badly? Threaten her life?
    Hi Vamp

The reason i ask is because way back in 97 i was in L.A and went on one of the 'Death Tours', the driver had told us that he was showing a guy around on the tour (months or years before) who was a policeman involved in the case.

He said everyone knew Lana had killed him and they all hated Johnny that much, so to protect her career it would be best if it looked like Cheryl had murdered him ( because of her age or something along those lines).

I was just curious that i have never heard it mentioned by anyone, hence thinking it was pretty much common knowledge

leevancleef Guest
    Yes, he was abusive to her , but as Lucy Furr has stated above , it seems that Lana liked it rough. Ive also read that Fernando Lamas used to beat his women when he was in bad mood.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erictheking97 View Post
    Hi Vamp

The reason i ask is because way back in 97 i was in L.A and went on one of the 'Death Tours', the driver had told us that he was showing a guy around on the tour (months or years before) who was a policeman involved in the case.

He said everyone knew Lana had killed him and they all hated Johnny that much, so to protect her career it would be best if it looked like Cheryl had murdered him ( because of her age or something along those lines).

I was just curious that i have never heard it mentioned by anyone, hence thinking it was pretty much common knowledge
    That's really interesting. Poor Cheryl. I know she loved her mother but sending her to juvie? How horrid.

Thanks for the insider's knowledge!

erictheking97 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    That's really interesting. Poor Cheryl. I know she loved her mother but sending her to juvie? How horrid.

Thanks for the insider's knowledge!
    Your welcome, i have it on video so i have never forgot about it

leevancleef Guest

leevancleef Guest

leevancleef Guest

SusanCarole Guest

She was so beautiful. I think more so during her last few years than early on. I didn't know who she was until she was on Falcon Crest. I watched it when I was little with my mom and I thought that she was so beautiful.

Tebssis Guest
    Great pic, Lee! I noticed on her Ebay site, Cheryl looks a lot like this pic.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    I was gonna say that too. Lana was beautiful but she aged rather quickly. She almost looked older in the 1950s than she did later in her life. Maybe it was all the ciggies and sunbathing.
    She was a looker but I agree lost her youth fast. They all did back then. 30 was a dirty number. Look at Ava Gardner. She was so gorgeous and she aged very fast. Anne Bancroft was 36 when she played Mrs. Robinson. She looks 46.
    Lana was a great bad girl though. I never really liked her movies much though.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    She was a looker but I agree lost her youth fast. They all did back then. 30 was a dirty number. Look at Ava Gardner. She was so gorgeous and she aged very fast. Anne Bancroft was 36 when she played Mrs. Robinson. She looks 46.
    Probably not the world's best actress--there's something about Lana though, you just can't take your eyes off her when she's on the screen.

The Postman Always Rings Twice -- probably one of the top 5 sexiest performances by anybody, EVER. She was so hot in that I never forgot it....just....scorching.

Noelle Page Guest
    She was a MOVIE STAR to her core. All caps.

I still say the house ain't all that, though. On a busy corner too.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    The one who also aged SO fast in my view was Lana's contemporary, Judy Garland. She made Wizard of Oz and just a few years later looked old. Weight loss and drug use I guess. I could never reconcile the child Dorothy with the mature later Judy.

It also blows my mind that Liz Taylor was 34 when she made "Virginia Woolf."

But let it be said for Lana, she never let herself go. Always looked great.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Great pic, Lee! I noticed on her Ebay site, Cheryl looks a lot like this pic.

Youre welcome Teb, she looked fantastic at that age.
    Ive always thought that she was a stunning woman, and sexy as hell!
    A true Hollywood star.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    The one who also aged SO fast in my view was Lana's contemporary, Judy Garland. She made Wizard of Oz and just a few years later looked old. Weight loss and drug use I guess. I could never reconcile the child Dorothy with the mature later Judy.

It also blows my mind that Liz Taylor was 34 when she made "Virginia Woolf."

But let it be said for Lana, she never let herself go. Always looked great.
    It blows my mind that Liz had been married for 4 times before reaching her thirties! The peak of Liz's beauty was by 1957, when she married Mike Todd. By that time, i think she was the most beautiful actrees of her time.

Lana looked great until her last breath, it seems....
    One of a kind.

I am probaly going to get slapped for this. I never thought she aged very gracefully. In fact when she hit her late twenties she started looking like she was fourty.

lisalouver Guest
    That ebay link is cool. At first I was a bit upset that Cheryl writes on there that in keeping with her mothers wishes, she is auctioning off things, but then I read what Kelt said and that is a good point.

Kelt, how much is Cheryl worth do you think? Could she also be doing it for money?

lisalouver Guest
    Looks like Cheryl is doing a coffee table book about Mom and will be selling autographed copies on the ebay store.

I might have to bite on that one!

Nicki Guest
    Cheryl Crane

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Cheryl CraneBornCheryl Christine Crane
    July 25, 1943 (1943-07-25) (age 65)
    Los Angeles, CaliforniaParentsSteve Crane
    Lana TurnerCheryl Crane (born July 25, 1943) is the daughter of the actress Lana Turner and her second husband, actor-restaurateur Stephen Crane (who Lana married twice).
    At the age of 14, on April 4, 1958, Cheryl stabbed her mother's gangster boyfriend Johnny Stompanato to death.[1][2] This was ruled a justifiable homicide: she was deemed to have been protecting her mother.[2][3] Stompanato was well known to have been abusive, extremely jealous of Turner, and had previously pointed a gun at actor Sean Connery, her costar in Another Time, Another Place, only to have Connery take the gun from him, beat him, and force him from the movie set.[4][5]
    Following Stompanato's death, Crane was made a ward of the State of California and sent to a home for problem girls, from which she escaped in 1960. She was recaptured and then released in 1961. In 1969, Crane was detained by the Los Angeles police when three half-grown cannabis plants were discovered in the back seat of her car.[2]
    Years later, Cheryl publicly revealed her lesbianism[2] to her mother, who accepted the news well. She said she regarded Cheryl's partner Jocelyn "Josh" LeRoy "as a second daughter".[2]
    In her autobiography Detour: a Hollywood Story (1988) Crane discussed the Stompanato killing publicly for the first time, and admitted to the stabbing. She further alleged that she was subject to a series of sexual assaults at the hands of her mother's fourth husband, actor Lex Barker.
    She currently lives in the Palm Springs, California area, where she works as a real-estate agent.

[edit] Bibliographic References

• Lamparski, R. (1970) Whatever Became Of...?, Ace Books, New York.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    That ebay link is cool. At first I was a bit upset that Cheryl writes on there that in keeping with her mothers wishes, she is auctioning off things, but then I read what Kelt said and that is a good point.

Kelt, how much is Cheryl worth do you think? Could she also be doing it for money?
    I'd love to have her Gucci make up bag, Franks' booze decanters or Ski Slope Noses' silver lighter, but the salt and pepper shakers are more in line with my budget.

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Cheryl Crane

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Cheryl CraneBornCheryl Christine Crane
    July 25, 1943 (1943-07-25) (age 65)
    Los Angeles, CaliforniaParentsSteve Crane
    Lana TurnerCheryl Crane (born July 25, 1943) is the daughter of the actress Lana Turner and her second husband, actor-restaurateur Stephen Crane (who Lana married twice).
    At the age of 14, on April 4, 1958, Cheryl stabbed her mother's gangster boyfriend Johnny Stompanato to death.[1][2] This was ruled a justifiable homicide: she was deemed to have been protecting her mother.[2][3] Stompanato was well known to have been abusive, extremely jealous of Turner, and had previously pointed a gun at actor Sean Connery, her costar in Another Time, Another Place, only to have Connery take the gun from him, beat him, and force him from the movie set.[4][5]
    Following Stompanato's death, Crane was made a ward of the State of California and sent to a home for problem girls, from which she escaped in 1960. She was recaptured and then released in 1961. In 1969, Crane was detained by the Los Angeles police when three half-grown cannabis plants were discovered in the back seat of her car.[2]
    Years later, Cheryl publicly revealed her lesbianism[2] to her mother, who accepted the news well. She said she regarded Cheryl's partner Jocelyn "Josh" LeRoy "as a second daughter".[2]
    In her autobiography Detour: a Hollywood Story (1988) Crane discussed the Stompanato killing publicly for the first time, and admitted to the stabbing. She further alleged that she was subject to a series of sexual assaults at the hands of her mother's fourth husband, actor Lex Barker.
    She currently lives in the Palm Springs, California area, where she works as a real-estate agent.

[edit] Bibliographic References

• Lamparski, R. (1970) Whatever Became Of...?, Ace Books, New York.
    Would have loved to have seen Sean Connery beat the snot out of Johnny.
    Never understood what Lana saw in Lex Barker, he made my skin crawl when I was a kid, just didn't like his looks at ALL! Now I can see why.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I remember when all this happened and the "confidential" mag said they had found love letters that Cheryl had written to Johnny before she killed him. That was the reason they put in her Juvie hall because they said she w3as "crushing on her mothers boyfriend" and they really did not believe that she killed him for threatening her mother that she killed him out of jealousy. Loved that old rag mag lol I don't know if Lana was such a bad mother tho, her daughter was always with her, there are more pics of her and Lana then most other movies stars. Compared with how much time people spend with their kids today I bet she spent a lot more time with her kid. She also had Cheryl on the lot with her while working most of the time. Sure she had boyfriends but didn't and don't we all when we were between marriages or relationships? It just seems Hollywood is not the place to have a marriage or a relationship lol

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    I'd love to have her Gucci make up bag, Franks' booze decanters or Ski Slope Noses' silver lighter, but the salt and pepper shakers are more in line with my budget.
    Haha! Me too!

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I remember when all this happened and the "confidential" mag said they had found love letters that Cheryl had written to Johnny before she killed him. That was the reason they put in her Juvie hall because they said she w3as "crushing on her mothers boyfriend" and they really did not believe that she killed him for threatening her mother that she killed him out of jealousy. Loved that old rag mag lol I don't know if Lana was such a bad mother tho, her daughter was always with her, there are more pics of her and Lana then most other movies stars. Compared with how much time people spend with their kids today I bet she spent a lot more time with her kid. She also had Cheryl on the lot with her while working most of the time. Sure she had boyfriends but didn't and don't we all when we were between marriages or relationships? It just seems Hollywood is not the place to have a marriage or a relationship lol
    Guess we'll just have to wait until Cheryl publishes her book to get the scoop on how well they got along before the "deed". But I always thought that they were closer than most Hollywood families, too. Like you said, they were photographed together a lot. I bet Lana didn't "sell" her kids pictures either, like the stars do today. I think she was way to classy for that.

I think Lana looked the most beautiful in "Peyton Place" and "Imitation of Life". Just my $.02!

And I had never heard that about Sean Connery! I've read a couple Lana biographies and her auto, but I've never read that. You go, 007!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by charlieinnj View Post
    Yes, and no. For it's time this is a pretty sizable home.

Is the house still there? is it still the same? Any pics anyone?

Noelle Page Guest
    I saw it not long ago. As I posted earlier, I was underwhelmed. It was on a relatively busy corner of Beverly Hills, kind of out in the open, as you can see in the photo above (which looks recent). That was my impression at the time anyway.

I mean, yes, very nice house, but Lana was a BIG star. You'd think she would have a really opulent spread tucked away somewhere.