Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Paula Deen Just Make Ya'll Sick Ya'll?

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I don't use the word. I never have, and it isn't because of any guilt. It's because it demeans and says a lot more about the user than the person it's directed at.
    I heard enough of that godawful word growing up. I don't use it at all, nor do I approve of jokes aimed at specific groups of people (ethnic, gay, disability, weight, etc.). All the aforementioned are just in bad taste.

radiojane Guest
    I consider it a vulgarity, and while I can throw them out pretty well myself, I try to behave when I should. It's unnecessary when there are so many beautiful, flowing ways to cut a person down verbally. If all you can come up with is Nigger, than you're making it clear that your only objection is to the person's race, which makes you a moron.

Stu Pidasso Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I'm also fascist, sexist, intellectually snobbish, and bitchy, depending on who I've pissed off in any given conversation on any given day.
    Oh yeah, I know I've had the same. They tend to be the people who shout the loudest about being for tolerance and free speech.

I don't use the word. I never have, and it isn't because of any guilt. It's because it demeans and says a lot more about the user than the person it's directed at.
    I agree with you, you sexist intellectual snob and bitchy fascist! Ah F-word it!

Bayou Queen Guest
    I think the N word has become so de-sensitized, I hear it blaring from car windows at the shopping center, and as I have written above, my hubby's black friends will be playful and sometimes call him that just to mess with him because they know he hates the word. Blacks need to be the first to strike it from their vocabulary, you can't have it both ways.

I saw this show on the Oprah channel Sunday night called Dark Girls. It was a very moving show and beings that I am old and from down South, I do remember the paper bag test as they mentioned in this documentary as my Mom told me about it and that way back in the day. Sadly some of the lovely very dark black girls, stunning girls in fact, are ostracized by their own race and thought to be ugly because they are too dark. It's not just blacks, it shows Latins and others who are concerned about "skin color" because they don't want their grandchildren to be too dark. Crazy thing is they then show all these white chicks trying to get dark in tanning beds. What a topsy turvy world, right color wrong shade, wrong religion, don't love someone of the same sex. No wonder therapists are making a fortune.

http://officialdarkgirlsmovie.com/
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 06-25-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Deathgoddess Guest
    First of all Paula Deen is annoying as shit and that video of her with the bright pink face makes her look like a ham, I finally understood why Smithfield hired her, she resembles their products.
    Second of all, I HIGHLY doubt that her use of the N word and her racist beliefs were used solely when describing her encounter with a robber that was black. I mean what a nice quaint story, but seriously? If the N word rolls off your tounge it has been there more than once.
    This whole thing really paints a different picture of Paula Deen and I think she totally has the right to say and do whatever she wants......but she is going to have to live with the consequences. AND can we please hang up the defense of "I was raised in a different time", not valid anymore, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    First of all Paula Deen is annoying as shit and that video of her with the bright pink face makes her look like a ham, I finally understood why Smithfield hired her, she resembles their products.
    Second of all, I HIGHLY doubt that her use of the N word and her racist beliefs were used solely when describing her encounter with a robber that was black. I mean what a nice quaint story, but seriously? If the N word rolls off your tounge it has been there more than once.
    This whole thing really paints a different picture of Paula Deen and I think she totally has the right to say and do whatever she wants......but she is going to have to live with the consequences. AND can we please hang up the defense of "I was raised in a different time", not valid anymore, sorry.
    Yes! I said this same thing on FB the other day. "raised in a different time" is not a valid excuse. I might not be 60, but I was raised in an atmosphere of racism in the south, and I have never used the n word and didn't turn out racist.

Seagorath Guest
    I'm sure Jay-Z and Beyonce throw around the words "Crackah" all the time.

Ha ha.

PurrPurr Guest
    Hey, black guys threw around "honkie" in the 70's. Didn't bother me a bit.

It was a different time when she said the n word. While it is abhorrent to hear it now, back in the day, it did not seem to have the same ugliness that it has now. I know I'm no saint, and I'm sure we've all said things we regret. It's not like she killed someone. Everyone is overreacting. If a black person said Honky, cracker or white trash 20 years ago, I'm fine with it. In fact, if they say it today it doesn't bother me. Because some people ARE white trash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

She needs to stop this apology tour and go
    away for a long time.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Mammy Guest
    I am laughing so hard I have tears over the Smithfield/ham remark! I mentioned that she may be related to Porky Pig and SomeChick said she resembled Petunia Pig, so it sounds like we all agree. LOL, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    I'm sure Jay-Z and Beyonce throw around the words "Crackah" all the time.

Ha ha.
    Just how they voted for Barack Obama Ha ha.
    because he is a black man. (I don't think so)

Only because he is the better person.
    (wish we had someone like him here
    in Canada)

Mammy Guest
    You are more than welcome to him.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Just how they voted for Barack Obama Ha ha.
    because he is a black man. (I don't think so)

Only because he is the better person.
    (wish we had someone like him here
    in Canada)
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jayz/aweekago.html
    http://rapgenius.com/Jay-z-what-more...rics#note-7734
    http://www.metrolyrics.com/its-hot-s...rics-jayz.html
    http://www.sweetslyrics.com/198914.J...0of%20Age.html

Jay-Z couldve only voted for Obama twice, but used "cracker" at least 4 times I could find in a short search. I guess a 40 year old black mans popular recordings about 8 black guys jumping 4 crackers is an artistic statement expressing his modern gritty urban experience while a 70 year old white woman using the N word 30 years ago is equivalent to throwing feces into the face of God.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    You are more than welcome to him.
    We the good smart people of Canada would love
    to trade Stephen Harper for Barack Obama.

Mammy Guest
    You never mentioned anything about a trade. You can keep both.

Nope sorry, here in Canada we used to be very open minded
    until Prime Minister Harper was elected. (he is a big time
    right wing dumbass)

We love Barack Obama in Canada

Mammy Guest
    Okay, I see where this is headed and I don't do politics.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will follow anything
    from the UK.(sadly is true)
    At least US. President Barack Obama is his own
    man.

Love the ham references. I think you're on to something with the idea that if a certain derogatory term "rolls off" your tongue, it's been there more than once. Reminds me of that passage from Matthew (For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks). I have two male colleagues who were each "caught" using a derogatory term, one while at work (referred to the females in his group as "lactating bitches"), the other on social media (reposted a tweet of someone else who used the word "faggot" - his excuse is that it was a re-tweet and not his own exact words, but IMO he knew damned well what he was doing). So, both of them watch their mouths now, and neither of them utters those words around us...however, I know those words/ideas are in their hearts (or at least were at one time)...it's disturbing. If the N-word popped out of my mouth (I'm white), ever, I know myself well and it would be a sign of something terribly wrong.

Anyway, everyone has their own "filter" and opinion of what's going on...and those opinions seem to be getting more extreme, polarizing one group waaaaay on one end, and another group on another. I like the basic democracy and fundamental respect on this forum, because even though most of us have strong opinions, we generally allow others to "speak" without assassinating their character. How utterly refreshing!!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Stu Pidasso Guest
    Prime Minister Stephen Harper will follow anything
    from the UK.(sadly is true)
    At least US. President Barack Obama is his own
    man.
    You really ought to have more than one string on your banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    She does look a bit like his g/f Petunia there.
    True.

Mammy Guest
    I think once the furor dies down, she will again find her audience and have a show. Remember the outrage when Don Imus called women's basketball players "nappy headed hoes?" People wanted his head on a platter. He laid low for a while and gradually everything settled down and he has his show. The public will lose their interest when someone else comes along and says something to piss off the masses.

I think once the furor dies down, she will again find her audience and have a show. Remember the outrage when Don Imus called women's basketball players "nappy headed hoes?" People wanted his head on a platter. He laid low for a while and gradually everything settled down and he has his show. The public will lose their interest when someone else comes along and says something to piss off the masses.
    Preorders on Amazon for Paula Deeans forthcoming book increased by 1400% since the furor. Not sure what the statistics are that could mean it went from one preorder to 14 but whatever - realistic representations of actual occurrences seem to be as important as a baby tossed out with its bathwater in any consideration of Paulas circumstance.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Deathgoddess Guest
    I definitely agree. I have never been a fan of hers, so this really means nothing to me in the grand scheme of life, other than the fact I have to hear about it everywhere I turn :-) I think if she would lay low and quit apologizing she would be fine, but the more she talks the more people/stories come out of the woodwork and put her in a bad light. I was more pissed that she was diagnosed with type II diabetes and continued to practically drink butter on her show, like everything was fine. She will always have her legions of faithful followers no matter what, it must be all the double chocolate banana toffee fudge butterscotch coffee butter cake

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Preorders on Amazon for Paula Deeans forthcoming book increased by 1400% since the furor. Not sure what the statistics are that could mean it went from one preorder to 14 but whatever - realistic representations of actual occurrences seem to be as important as a baby tossed out with its bathwater in any consideration of Paulas circumstance.
    ITA
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

dcg76 Guest
    Same with Dog The Bounty Hunter when his kid leaked that phone call of him going on a rant cause he wanted to marry a black woman.

dcg76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Hey dcg, how ya doin'? And no it wasn't choppy, just normal.
    Hey Somechick. I'm peachy :-) How yas? Musta been different then, there are a couple floating around, and I think she was on the Today Show this morning finally.

Ok first of all I was never a Paula Deen fan. What I don't understand is.... she said it, she apologized, she lost her show just what else is it that people want to happen that they keep dragging this story on and on and ON?

Quote Originally Posted by nightdiva View Post
    Ok first of all I was never a Paula Deen fan. What I don't understand is.... she said it, she apologized, she lost her show just what else is it that people want to happen that they keep dragging this story on and on and ON?
    For reals.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Somechick, this is the best explanation for Deen' s behavior. Excellent post, especially the part about being brought up to not say that ugly word.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

It isn't even about that word.. That is the crazy thing about this whole thing.

I agree with you. Paula will come back after a quiet period even though it very well be not be exactly as it was.

I remember the Imus thing I can also remember when Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker went though their troubles after Jessica Hahn/PTL scandal. When Bakker was in prison one heard very little from Tammy but over the years Tammy Faye re-invented himself to become a much loved celebrity in the later years. Even Jim himself is doing ok with his ministry even though not long ago I heard he was still having problems with the IRS but he is still out there doing his thing though no where on the same level as PTL.

While I am sure there were others the only one I can think of right now who never really did bounce back from controversy was Anita Bryant.

I don't think she will be back. Not after all the shit that is coming out about her and her creepy brother.

PurrPurr Guest
    Walmart and Target dumped her too, and Cesar's is closing her restaurant.

On the other hand, Jesse Jackson is supposedly stepping in to help her make amends.

Jesse Jackson is supposedly stepping in to help her make amends.
    Well naturally.. It is publicity after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Walmart and Target dumped her too, and Cesar's is closing her restaurant.

On the other hand, Jesse Jackson is supposedly stepping in to help her make amends.
    Jackson says if Deen is willing to acknowledge mistakes and make changes, "she should be reclaimed rather than destroyed."

Her Today show interview made it sound like she *wasn't* willing to change, or completely admit her mistakes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3506218.html

Vandalay Guest
    She may have used the "N word"...but I don't think she's sorry about it..take a look at her "Today" show appearance, I heard the blubbering, the sniffing, saw her face scrunch up, but I didn't see a single tear..not one..

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
    She may have used the "N word"...but I don't think she's sorry about it..take a look at her "Today" show appearance, I heard the blubbering, the sniffing, saw her face scrunch up, but I didn't see a single tear..not one..
    We saw the interview at the doctor's office the other day, and she didn't sound sorry to me, and actually said she's "not changing". She was trying to make it sound like she was the wronged party. But we're finding out more stuff every day that proves the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    We saw the interview at the doctor's office the other day, and she didn't sound sorry to me, and actually said she's "not changing". She was trying to make it sound like she was the wronged party. But we're finding out more stuff every day that proves the opposite.
    How true, she is an awful human being.

How true, she is an awful human being.

Yes, she is. But you can't tell that here in Georgia. A lot of support for here here. Not from me, I never liked her.

Enoch Powell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Jesse Jackson is supposedly stepping in to help her make amends.
    He's looking to extort someone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paula.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	47266

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dcg76 View Post
    Same with Dog The Bounty Hunter when his kid leaked that phone call of him going on a rant cause he wanted to marry a black woman.
    I had forgotten all about everything that happened with Dog. He is an example of exactly what I meant. I've never watched Paula Deen, never heard her voice, and know absolutely nothing about her other than what this thread contains. I don't like nor dislike her, but she would be better off to quit talking and lay low for a while until everything settles down. If some of the public thinks Michael Vick deserves a second chance after the evil things he did, then Paula's misdeeds pale in comparison. Maybe she isn't sorry deep down, but he wasn't either, IMO. I loved Tammy Faye Bakker and miss seeing interviews she gave. I loved how she reinvented herself and a lot of people developed a soft spot for her.

If people would read what her and her brother did though... Seriously.. It's not about the fucking word nigger.. It's about much, much, more.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    If people would read what her and her brother did though... Seriously.. It's not about the fucking word nigger.. It's about much, much, more.
    Can't say nigger. People will get mad.

Mammy Guest
    I need to do some googling apparently since I don't know the details of this. Was it recent or is it something she is being flogged for now that happened twenty years ago? I'm not taking up for her at all, I'm just curious.

Yeah the lady is white the brother sexually harrassed her and she was allegedly not promoted because of her sex. Why the fuck is half her complaint about the use of the n word? Why is the media only reporting about her dropping the n word once to this white lady and nothing else. Why is she being asked about her use of the n word throughout all her life in depositions and nothing about her views on women in the workplace. Why is she going on talk shows and giving apologies (that most consider insincere because shes not crying hysterically in shame and looks more pink than most people would prefer) for using the n word. Shes a fucking 66 year old lady from the south.Of course shes said "Nigger". Shes not being dragged over the coals for not promoting ghostfaced Lisa Creepy Ass Crackah Jackson. Shes being punished for historical and supposed instances of the use of the n word. Nothing else. Good lord youd think she was one of the most horrific mass murderers/serial killers in history judging from statements made about her.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Yeah the lady is white the brother sexually harrassed her and she was allegedly not promoted because of her sex. Why the fuck is half her complaint about the use of the n word? Why is the media only reporting about her dropping the n word once to this white lady and nothing else. Why is she being asked about her use of the n word throughout all her life in depositions and nothing about her views on women in the workplace. Why is she going on talk shows and giving apologies (that most consider insincere because shes not crying hysterically in shame and looks more pink than most people would prefer) for using the n word. Shes a fucking 66 year old lady from the south.Of course shes said "Nigger". Shes not being dragged over the coals for not promoting ghostfaced Lisa Creepy Ass Crackah Jackson. Shes being punished for historical and supposed instances of the use of the n word. Nothing else. Good lord youd think she was one of the most horrific mass murderers/serial killers in history judging from statements made about her.
    Well said. I am not a big fan of hers by any means, however, this has turned into an all out witch hunt. People need to let it go.