Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Paula Deen Just Make Ya'll Sick Ya'll?

When I was in the hospital and couldn't eat for 2 weeks I watched the Food channel non stop. I like Paula Deen but my mom said the same thing, she says y'all way too much. It doesn't bother me. Some of her recipes look good, but some just seem disgusting. One thing she made was potato spears, coated them with mayonnaise and rolled them in cornbread mix and deep fried them. The mayonnaise part made me want to hurl.

I kind of like Ina Garten too. Some of her recipes looked great but she just seems like such a snob, and always having her friends over to eat in her garden or whatever. She did make a shrimp salad that looked so good. On the show she mentioned that she used to boil the shrimp but then decided it was better to put them in the oven. I'm not sure if she broiled them or what, but she did use the oven on the show. However the website recipe just said to boil them, so I was a little disappointed.

I don't care for Giada either or the Real Cooking lady or the black couple. Paula and Ina are the only ones I've watched since I got home.

rucyco2 Guest
    I used to I watch a lot of the food network. As someone mentioned at some point it stopped being cooking focused and became more "entertainment" focused. I find each (except for Alton Brown) annoying in their own, over the top way.

Slightly off topic but I never liked Ina Garten - way too self important. Then I read how she refused to give that kid with cancer his "wish" as she was too busy. For two freaking years. Then when the negative publicity started about it she suddenly "made" time.

At the other end of the spectrum, I bet that it would be fun to go bar hopping with Sandra Lee.

Fujicakes Guest
    I actually don't mind Paula Dean. It's her sons that irritate me.

Speaking of which, I find Giada creepy. I mainly watch Food Network for Alton Brown, Ace of Cakes, and the occasional episode of Iron Chef America.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    I actually don't mind Paula Dean. It's her sons that irritate me.
    You mean the leeches?

Those two know a gravy train when they see one.

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    You mean the leeches?
    You mean they suck the excess butter out of her?

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Her face does it for me. She always looks so happy.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    Her face does it for me. She always looks so happy.
    I'd look DAMN happy if I had her money.

I can't stand the wench. All her food is made from stuff out of packets or tins, processed crap. Doesn't she use fresh ingredients?

Love good eats.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

rjbrasher Guest
    i am sure her choice of lubrication is butter

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    ROFLMAO. That was pure gold.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

rjbrasher Guest
    Today when i was at walmart buying up my groceries i just cracked up laughing when i passed the butter, im sure people thought i was nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    ROFLMAO. That was pure gold.
    Today when i was at walmart buying up my groceries i just cracked up laughing when i passed the butter, im sure people thought i was nuts
    As I always say here, when going over to a friends house for lunch or dinner, do check the butter for finger marks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sam Guest
    I bought a set of "Paula Dean" knives. They're GREAT for cutting butter!

NewYorkDoll Guest
    if you live in the lowcountry, you get to see this local commercial about paula deen and her choppers (teefs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQF4prjisz4

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

No surprises there, considering the crap she uses for ingredients.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidChrissy Guest
    I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been said. I remember watching one of her shows and she had deep-fried sticks of butter! How do you eat that? That is so unhealthy!

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidChrissy View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been said. I remember watching one of her shows and she had deep-fried sticks of butter! How do you eat that? That is so unhealthy!
    I knooooooooooooooooow! True confessions - I ate at her restaurant in Savannah, The Lady And Sons. It was so crowded with tourists (like myself), that my friend and I just did the buffet. And what a buffet it was. There were probably 12 sectors of different fried foods. It was indeed delicious. But I felt massive waves of nausea and self-hatred afterwards. I'm surprised the woman hasn't keeled over from a heart attack by now...I don't wish her any harm, but that kind of cuisine is high-risk.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Real butter isnt unhealthy. Its actually good for you. Maybe not a whole stick of it at once on a regular basis though. How do you deepfry butter anyway? Wouldnt it melt?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Real butter isnt unhealthy. Its actually good for you. Maybe not a whole stick of it at once on a regular basis though. How do you deepfry butter anyway? Wouldnt it melt?
    I think it would be done the same way as deep fried Camembert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mmm...deep-fried Camembert. Now don't that sound good, y'all?!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Correction: They were balls of butter, not sticks.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html

You know what's freakin' hilarious? In one of the comments, a person says they made it without cream cheese because they're trying to eat healthier. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I used to really like her..and many others on FN until they just turned and made them money making robots. She and that cunt rachael ray are now just there for money and not teaching cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidChrissy View Post
    Correction: They were balls of butter, not sticks.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html

You know what's freakin' hilarious? In one of the comments, a person says they made it without cream cheese because they're trying to eat healthier. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    As I wrote, I think it would be done the same way as deep fried Camembert. It is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest
    Wouldn't the correct syntax be "Doesn't that just make all y'all sick y'all"?

But I'm a Yankee and I like General Sherman, so what do I know?

Bayou Queen Guest
    I remember reading that she found herself divorced with two boys to raise and no office skills so she started off by making lunches and her two young sons would sell them and from that a restaurant came out of it.

As far as her accent, I am from New Orleans, and we do say "yall" down here, but we really don't have strong Southern accents being from the city, but I have heard some Southern accents from near and far that are so heavy that it barely sounds like they are speaking English at all. That's not counting these thick Cajun accents people out here on the bayous have, which I sometimes can't understand and I spoke French as a small child.

Really, no one could live on any restaurant or fast food on a daily basis , the ingredients aren't healthy and the portions are way too big. I consider most of Paula's recipes for special occasions or holidays. The food is much too rich.

Mammy Guest
    She should open a restaurant in the county I live in and call it the Hog House. If she could see our local KFC during buffet hours, she would know exactly why the name fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Wouldn't the correct syntax be "Doesn't that just make all y'all sick y'all"?

But I'm a Yankee and I like General Sherman, so what do I know?
    That would be redundant. Y'all is a contraction of you all. All you all makes no sense.

Mammy Guest
    Unless you are Brad Renfro.

If you knew Paula's story I bet you wouldn't be saying all that. She was a single mother, developed Angrophobia (spelling;being a hermit), cooking is / was all that Paula Deen could do & at a party or something special, cooked something or took someone's place & was approached to do a tv show. There is a lot more, but that is the general story. Cooking is all that she has.

Rosebud666 Guest
    That would be redundant. Y'all is a contraction of you all. All you all makes no sense.
    It does in Georgia, because y'all can also be singular, so "all y'all" makes sure you are including all of the "y'alls". I've also heard this in Tennesee.

Maybe Texas is different. Or maybe this is just a Jeff Foxworthy thing.

Oh and Paula was really, really funny as a guest on NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". She started going through the refrigerator, telephone in hand, telling the host about all the leftover's she had in there.

She had to answer questions about tofu (the celebrity segment is called "Not My Job" )

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103246455
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-14-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Pryncis Guest
    I can deal with the "y'all's" it's the yous, yous guys and the younts (yoonts) I can't stand. My neighbor, god love him, will say a dish is his "spe-ci-al-ity" and not "speciality", it's like he's adding an extra syllable. I see it a lot in the people that come from the north and remain here in the south (after many many years that is). I guess I'm just a stickler for correct pronunciation because my bother is hearing impaired and he went through so much as a child learning how to speak and not sound like he had a disability.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryncis View Post
    I can deal with the "y'all's" it's the yous, yous guys and the younts (yoonts) I can't stand. My neighbor, god love him, will say a dish is his "spe-ci-al-ity" and not "speciality", it's like he's adding an extra syllable. I see it a lot in the people that come from the north and remain here in the south (after many many years that is). I guess I'm just a stickler for correct pronunciation because my bother is hearing impaired and he went through so much as a child learning how to speak and not sound like he had a disability.
    Wait until you come into the Pittsburgh region. It's "Yinz" up here (though I don't say it).

Giada Guest
    Suuuueeeey ... Miss Piggy in the Kitchen

i understand she has a contract to peddle diabetic medication. The only surprise with this pig is that she hasn't had quadruple bypass surgery.

(Phony, botoxed, wigged, capped teeth, obese, snake oil saleswoman peddling poor quality food)

The only one I watch, and occasionally is Sam the Cooking Guy. I can find an occasional recipe easily adapted for a health lifestyle.

(I made a soy sausage soup with vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, spinach, angel hair pasta, topped with fresh parmesan, high on flavor and nutrition).

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Suuuueeeey ... Miss Piggy in the Kitchen

i understand she has a contract to peddle diabetic medication. The only surprise with this pig is that she hasn't had quadruple bypass surgery.

(Phony, botoxed, wigged, capped teeth, obese, snake oil saleswoman peddling poor quality food)
    Finally, the voice of reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Finally, the voice of reason.
    I don't know, somehow I can't help but like her.

She seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about herself in the radio clip above. The panel definitely gave her a ribbing.

In fairness, she did note that the recommended serving size for her "Ladies Brunch Burger" (basically a double cheeseburger topped with a fried egg on a split Crispy Creme donut instead of a bun) is "one per lifetime".

When she's going through the contents of her refrigerator, she says, "oh and there's a bowl of fruit!" with genuine sounding surprise.

She also jokes about how her husband Michael is on a NutraSystem diet; he wants to lose 95 lbs and then write a tell-all book called "I Lost 95 Pounds While Married to Paula Deen".

Giada Guest
    Well Rosebud ...

I'll use your same reasoning and relate it to GWB.

Just because he believes he, (she), has a sense of humor doesn't make him less dangerous.

Vandalay Guest
    Honest to God, I swear the woman puts butter in iced tea...

Here's a great drinking game for the next time Paula's on the tube;

SIP everytime she says "yall"
    CHUG everytime she adds butter to whatever she's making

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Well Rosebud ...

I'll use your same reasoning and relate it to GWB.

Just because he believes he, (she), has a sense of humor doesn't make him less dangerous.
    Well, just because she is charming it doesn't mean I have to eat her cooking. Just because the cowboy-in-chief was charming, it didn't mean that I had to stomach his policies.

But come on, we all know that deep down inside we want to try that Deen Death-on-a-Donut Burger just once.

Of course, the USA tried the Bush Burger and it sure tasted great at first, but we still have gas and a bad case of the runs.

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Wait until you come into the Pittsburgh region. It's "Yinz" up here (though I don't say it).
    Funny you should say that because that's exactly where he's from and he DOES say that! That one is the worst too. I cringe when I hear him say it. I can't believe I didn't put that one on the list!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I can't stand the wench. All her food is made from stuff out of packets or tins, processed crap. Doesn't she use fresh ingredients?

Love good eats.
    Somebody I really like who is just as funny and makes food that is a lot better for you is Mario Batali.
    Last edited by Rosebud666; 01-17-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: verbs are important

Subject_B Guest
    "Ladies Brunch Burger" (basically a double cheeseburger topped with a fried egg on a split Crispy Creme donut instead of a bun) is "one per lifetime".
    Oh, ow, my heart...

I need to have lentils tonight to cleanse my system just from reading that.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Subject_B View Post
    Oh, ow, my heart...

I need to have lentils tonight to cleanse my system just from reading that.
    Oh you can come to my place for dinner - I'm making lentils tonight, but there is a little bacon in there.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Butter always reminds me of "Last Tango in Paris"

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
    Honest to God, I swear the woman puts butter in iced tea...

Here's a great drinking game for the next time Paula's on the tube;

SIP everytime she says "yall"
    CHUG everytime she adds butter to whatever she's making
    Best played, at least in the winter months, drinking (wait for it):

Hot buttered rum

Butter always reminds me of "Last Tango in Paris"
    Watched that last night!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Giada Guest
    I think Anthony Bourdain gets the last word on, "Paula Deen human impersonator." Deen has known about her diabetes for three years, eager to keep her income and obtain an endorsement for a medical product she continued her deception.

"I think I'll break a few legs and then sell crutches," Anthony Bourdain

Lawsuit!:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/03/paula-deen-n-word-enterprises-sued-sexual-harassment

Lots of juicy yet unsubstantiated accusations in the pdf of the complaint.

monroe27 Guest
    hmmm...wonder if it's true or just someone trying to get money off of someone. if it is true, this is indeed repulsive....

Nelliebean Guest
    Lawsuit!:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/03/paula-deen-n-word-enterprises-sued-sexual-harassment

Lots of juicy yet unsubstantiated accusations in the pdf of the complaint.
    Can the Butter Queen take the heat?

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    hmmm...wonder if it's true or just someone trying to get money off of someone. if it is true, this is indeed repulsive....
    Shedding a few million in a racist lawsuit will make her lose some weight.